restoring a file

I accidently saved one of my files under another file
name, now the other file is lost.  Is there some way I can
get that old file back?  I was hoping there was some sort
of temporary folder I could go to to restore it from the
previous day?  Help!!
0
bholme (1)

"Beth",

If you mean you saved file_1 using file_2's name, then the "original" file_2
cannot be recovered.

Regrets,
Andy

0
andy.j.brown (443)

Corrupted file
I lost all my data from my hard drive but have managed to recover most of it. One of the Excel files is reported as corrupted by Excel when I try to open it. The file was created and last with Office 2000 but I have now got Office XP 2002 installed. Is there a way of 'un-corrupting' this file? Sometimes xl2002 will open files that previous versions couldn't. (and sometimes it can't open them either!) OpenOffice may be able to open it, too. (http://www.openoffice.org, a 60-65 meg download or a CD) Lots of people have reported good luck with it. But who knows with any sp...

Access XP and CHM Help Files
Hi I have just started creating a CHM file and associating it with the various forms, controls etc. by using context and helpfile properties. Problem is that when the file is opened from Access, all the search functionality looks towards Access help and not my help file. The contents/help structure displays OK but any keywords etc. don't get picked up in searches. Is there a solution to this limitation (seems pretty stupid to not be able to search the application specific help just coz the file was called via object properties in an Access frontend) that doesn't involve me hav...

StgOpenStorageEx and FAT, vs. NTFS file properties..
hi there, I want to store some information in the properties of a file. The file is an xml/txt file, and it works nicely on my c:\ drive wich is NTFS, but when i drag it to my usb device, that is FAT. I get a warning stating: The extra information attached to the file might be lost... Document Summary Info continue ? yes /no. the data is lost. I tried to take a word file, and manually change its properties, and the infomation is preserved. my question is basically how do I preserve the properties in a file stored on FAT? Should i use a different approach than this one: IPropertyStorage *pProp...

There should be a way to restore the address book in outlook
The help file shows how to backup the address book to a .pst file but is nothing about RESTORE in the help fiile. Maybe it's called something else??? ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?mid...

Sending picture/bmap files through LoNo
Hi I have a problem using VBA to send a bitmap (picture would do) in an email (Lotus Notes). I have code that does this: Dim bodytext As Object Range("A1:L36").Select Selection.CopyPicture Appearance:=xlScreen, Format:=xlBitmap bodytext = ActiveSheet.Paste later on... MailDoc.body = bodytext But the email does not paste the picture, instead it is just blank? Can anyone help me? David ...

Excel docs won't open from clicking file
I have a strange issue us Excel 2002. When I double-click on an excel document it only open the excel program and not the doc. I can then go to file|open and open it just fine and work on it etc. Excel seems to be OK other than this strange issue. Word and the other office programs don't do this at all??? I have checked and verified all folder options | files types, their associated open commands etc. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, Thanks- Hi Have a look at Tools/Option/General and uncheck 'Ignore other applications' if it's checked. Andy. "jayman" ...

Outlook OST file
Hello: I need assistance on importing or extracting the data from an ost file. Does anyone know how to convert or extract the data from an ost file to something I can manipulate or view my data? Thanks, Shawn There used to be a tool called OST2PST.EXE that would export Offline Storage (OST) files into Personal Storage (PST) format. I believe this has now become "Exchange Recovery". Try going to www.google.com and searching for OST2PST for information. -- Nikki Peterson [MVP - Outlook] "Shawn" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:01da01...

System Restore does not go any further then Select a Restore Point
My system is windows XP had a new hard drive installed 2008 with more space on it. Don't know what happened to the recovery CD for it, don't have it now, I think that's probably what I would need to repair it, any other way to fix it. Need help any one thank you. System Restore does not go any further then Select a Restore Point, the (next) button does not function, because of a restoration to ''Software Distribution Service 3.0'' restore point was incomplete due to an improper shutdown. A system restore was necessary, I thought because I coul...

Exchange 2K restore from backup
Hi there We have a server running sbs2K. A couple of days ago a public folder was deleted from outlook. No one noticed for until today. We run complete backups of exchange using ntbackup. So I completed a current full backup. When I tried a restore from a 2 day old backup for the public information store the restored database failed to mount. It stated that the log files were inconsistant I then tried a full restore of both the public store and the mailbox store with the log files as well. This also failed in the same way. I have ended up restoring the current database which ran fine Being ...

Unable to move my file to a new computer
I recently installed 2005 deluxe, and 2 weeks later purchased a new computer and I am unable to transfer the file to my new computer. I have tried to copy the .mny file the backup file to my new computer but am unable to to have money open it after I put my password in. It says it is either write protected (which I do not believe it is),or other types of errors. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have spent a lot of time on this issue. Tom Third time in twenty minutes. What was Microsoft thinking? See http://umpmfaq.info/faqdb.php?q=177. It should help. "TD" <...

Restoring a Database
I created a back-up of my RMS database using Store Operations manager. When I go to restore the databse on a different computer (at a different location), I get an "Unable to Restore Error 5- Access is Denied." I have the sa password the same on both machines. Any suggestins? ...

Importing a PST File #2
Further to my previous Posts. 1. I have backed up the outlook.pst file to CD using NERO 2. I have restored the outlook.pst file to a seperate folder 3. I have checked the file attribute and made sure the archive bit is off 4. I have run the scanpst program over the outlook.pst file. SCANPST came up with a large number of errors (I have the file). An example is: !!PMap page @6112768: PTYPE mismatch (read 00, expected 83) !!PMap page @6112768: BID mismatch (read 0, expected 5D4600) When I open or import the outlook.pst file, there are 2 empty folders... recovered and deleted. Any s...

File In Use
When I open an Excel 2003 workbook I sometimes get a dialog box that says "File In Use - filename.xls is locked for editing by "user". Even though no one on the network has it open. I have to log off and log back in to get the file to open. Any ideas why this happens? Thanks. Sometimes cleaning up your temp folder will help. Excel puts some files there when you open a workbook. If excel (or windows) crashes, these files aren't cleaned up. And with some operating systems, you can do alt-ctrl-delete and view the tasks that are running. If you have a hidden instance ...

Public Folders Restore
Hi everyone We had a Public folder database crash and we need to restore it from the backup. We have 5 Exchange servers accross different sites, now, if we restore the public folder database does that mean that all old itens will come up and replicated to all other exchange with replicas of these public folders? Is there a way that we restore and select only certain itens to restoed after a given date or something like that? Thanks "GIG" <gig@gig.com> wrote: >We had a Public folder database crash and we need to restore it from the >backup. >We have 5 Exchang...

System Restore unable to restore
My Win XP system is working fine, however whenever I try to do a System Restore it fails and I don't know why. In the distant past I have successfully run System Restore and returned the machine to an earlier time, so I am reasonably confident with its operation. When System Restore is opened the calender box shows each possible restore point date in bold. Selecting one of these, the dialogue box reports a valid system check point for that day. Proceeding with a selected date the system shuts down, restarts, fully loads then announces the system cannot be restored to the s...

Back up and restore of Out look express.
Hi all, I backed up my "document and settings" and would like to get my address book restored in Outlook Express. Do you know what extension the Address book is? Can I import it? Thanks Brent Hauver www.sagehealthstore.com Try posting this in an Outlook Express news group - this is not one of them. Outlook is a part of Microsoft Office and is what this group supports. Outlook Express is a part of Internet Explorer and has its own news groups. You can also find some good Outlook Express information here: http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Po...

Print Visio file without having Visio installed
How do I communicate a Visio file to somebody that does not have Visio installed? I want to allow others to print the file without reduced quality. When printing to pdf-format, the quality degrades and when inserting into Word I can't get the background page to show. have you considered HTML (they could use the browser) or the Visio Viewer? Al "Pete" <Pete@nomail.com> wrote in message news:dAbKb.52$jR.50@news.get2net.dk... > How do I communicate a Visio file to somebody that does not have Visio > installed? > > I want to allow others to print the file witho...

File names do not appear when trying to export to any file type except .pst
I am having trouble getting help to determine what the problem is in my Outlook. Outlook is 2003. When I try to export to any file type other than .pst, the files window appears empty. Only when I click .pst for the file to export to, do I get folders within Outlook. I suspect that some registry entries are missing in that I found some missing when I tried to export to text from Access. When I hand entered entried to the registry, copying them from another machine, everything started to work. Since this seems to be an esoteric problem, I don't quite know where to turn to get some ans...

Importing CSV files
I want to create a CSV file to import directly into EXCEL but have the following problem. Say for example I want to import a Credit Card Number with the digits 4218000012344321 and other information like the first and last name. I create the following CSV file. "Bob","Jones","4218000012344321" "John","Bobbins","4218000043211234" When I double click the CSV file, it opens in Excel but the following happens Column A will have BOB and John - which is correct Column B will have Jones and Bobbins - again which is correct but Column ...

Restore Exchange 2000 default permissions
is it possible to restore default permissions for the organisation in exchange 2000. At present anyone can open anyone else's mailbox!! Which i can't believe is the default. If there is no way to reset them can someone tell me what the permissions need to be so only the user and the administrators can access the mailboxes. My CEO is less than impressed that anyone can read his mail!! Cheers Minimum Permissions Required for Mailbox Stores and Public Folder Stores http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/guides/StrPermwE2k3/2934133f-e3af-46a5-9369-1ece5843ff58.mspx?mfr...

How do I restore a file?
I accidentally saved a new file with the same name as an existing one, and clicked 'override', forgetting they were in the same location. How do I restore the original file that I accidentally overrode? In another post someone mentioned that I have to us my backup software...how do I do that? The file in question is not saved on my computer, it is saved on my Western Digital external hard drive. Thank you! The original is gone. If you don't have a backup of the original then it is gone permanently. Only you would know what backup procedures you keep to maintain ...

Low Level Text File Printing
I am using Access 2003, VBA, and am trying to create a comma delimited text file. I am having a problem with a CF + LF put at the end of each print command. Because I have a lot of fields, I need to break each line up into several PRINT statements. Since Print ends with the CF+LF character , each line is being broken up into several lines. Can I prevent Print from appending a CF+LF? Is there another command which does not append CF+LF? An example is below. It should be one line, but it is coming out as two. Thanks Mike Thomas strLine = "The first part of the line -- &quo...

xml file data source
I would like to run SELECT SQL queries against DataTable's in my DataSet which has been initialized with ReadXml. Has anyone done this? What is the connect string, provider, etc? How? DataSet is a disconnected in memory cache of data. Irrespective of how you populate it, you can always use a DataView or the Select method on DataTable to query it. Look here [1] for examples. Specifically [2] --VV [MS] vascov@microsoft.com [1] http://samples.gotdotnet.com/quickstart/howto/ [2] http://samples.gotdotnet.com/quickstart/howto/doc/adoplus/FilterData.aspx "Dirk" <d> wrote ...

Large file size #2
I have a worksheet in excel which has 11 columns and 15 rows. If I hightlight the columns and rows and paste this worksheet into a new spreadsheet(values only) the size of the file is 1.6 meg. This spreadsheet has some visual basic code and some macros which someone other than I wrote. Everytime the macro runs the file size increases, yet I cannot determine how to decrease the size of the file. I think that the one thing that's easy to fix that makes the filesize smaller is resetting the lastused cell on each worksheet. Debra Dalgleish has some notes and pictures at: http://www...

Restoring a value
In the code below, I've attempted to check a value entered by the user and restore the original value if what was entered exceeds the maximum for the current application. So far, I've been unsuccessful in restoring what was saved at open time. Saving of the restored value (Me.ImageRatio = Ratio) using Me.Requery after the assignment statement gives a runtime error related to macro or function validation rule for the field. I have not set a validation rule in the property sheet for the control. What am I missing here? Bill ======(Application)==================== Option Compare Datab...