replacing with placeholder

Hi @all

I would like to use a general placeholder to replace cellvalues.
example:
All my Phonenumers end with a '-'. Now I would like to replace the '-' with
just nothing. This is easy with replace '-' with ''. Unfortunately the '-'
character is also used inside the number (+34-2344234-). How can I do this
now?
I would tried to replace '*-' with '*' -> results is just '*' (makes
sense...)

anybody an idea?

thnx in advance
Daniel

P.S.
in a DosBox you can do this with: rename *.htm *.html (renames all .htm file
to .html files and lets the names as it should)

find and replace hyperlink?
Hi, I want to globally find and replace the contents of a hyperlink with a new hyperlink. For example, I want this Jul.xls#'Title Page'!A1 to be replaced with Aug.xls#'Title Page'!A1 I can't seem to find a way do it. Is there a way? Thank you, Mike Take a look at David McRitchie's site: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/buildtoc.htm look for: Fix Hyperlinks (#FixHyperlinks) If you're new to macros, you may want to read David McRitchie's intro at: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/getstarted.htm me wrote: > > Hi, I want to g...

Replace word in sentence function...
I have the following function which replaces a word in a sentence with "....." =REPLACE(I2,SEARCH(E2,I2),LEN(E2),".....") Where the word is E2 and the sentence is I2. At the moment, if the word is "work" and the sentence is "I worked at home" I get the sentence "I .....ed at home". Any ideas how I could capture any remaining letters at the end of the word and get the result "I ..... at home"? I'd greatly appreciate your help. Thanks in advance, Chris can you upload example, would be easier to view -- Message posted from h...

Replacing Powerpoint 97 SR-2 on M/S Office 97 Pro Edit on Win XP
I dread asking this in case someone descends on me like a ton of bricks and says the answer is in the posts already! - but i I have never used the PP 97 which came with the MS Office 97 Pro Edit I have installed on my computer which uses Win XP with Ser Pack 3. I am about to embark on using PowerPoint for the FIRST time and wonder whether I should, before anything else, acquire a more up to date version first - and one that will work problem free with my XP - which version should I go for and will it, on loading, overwrite and replace the Powpoint I already have and still operat...

Search and replace problem
Hi, I have an Excel worksheets where in several cell's a symbol was added to mark the cell's "to review". The symbol used was "(*)". I have tried now to delete all the entries with a "search and replace", but Excel interpretes the asterisk as a DOS-symbol and deletes everythng between brackets. Is there a way to avoid that or to let Excel know that I only want to delete the specific characters. TIA Melissa It's because it is a wildcard, you can replace it by preceding it with a tilde ~ which tell Excel to find an asterisk in find what p...

replace a negative result with a zero?
I have my formula entered but need it to return a zero if the result is negative. Any help is greatly appreciated. -- Pam Well, what is the formula that you are using? You could try this: =3DMAX(your_formula,0) to replace your_formula. Hope this helps. Pete On Apr 19, 5:17=A0pm, Pam2277 <Pam2...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have my formula entered but need it to return a zero if the result is > negative. =A0Any help is greatly appreciated. > -- > Pam Hi, =if(your formula<0,0,your formula) "Pam2277" wrote: > ...

Selective Replace in Search and Replace
I need to search and replace in a large document. I don't want to replace the entire search term/expression just part of it. In this case I am searching for a paragraph return followed by any letter (not digit) and then want to change that to paragraph/tab but keep the letter. The search looks like this ^p^$ but naturally if replace is ^p^t I lose the first letter of the text string which I don't want How can I construct either search and replace so that ^p Alexander turns into ^p ^tAlexander and not ^p ^tlexander Thanks in a...

Replace wildcards with a space
I have a text field with all values containing an asterisk. The asterisk can be located anywhere within the contents. I am trying to replace the asterisk with a space. I will then use TRIM to remove any spaces at the beginning of the text. I have been unable to get an update query to work. When my criteria is like "~[*}", Access says that 0 rows will be updated. When the criteria is [*], I am asked to enter a parameter value. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated. Thanks - bkh Barbara wrote: >I have a text field with all values containing an aste...

Replace more characters using replace
Hi I have number of characters in a string, that I like to replace with "nothing". I use a code like this: Sub test() Dim a As String a = "Jan+& Per" a = Replace(a, " ", "") a = Replace(a, "&", "") a = Replace(a, "+", "") MsgBox a End Sub As I have about 15 characters, that all should be replaced with nothing, I am looking ofr another way to it. Something like Sub test() Dim a As String a = "Jan+& Per" a = Replace(a, {" ",...

what is a placeholder
Taking a communications class, the prof says in publisher to "replace the information in the placeholder with your own information." What is he talking about? Would he/she mean the Business Information (Edit menu, 2007) or Personal Information (Edit menu, 2003 and earlier)? -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "DesperateforHelp" <DesperateforHelp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D23ECC17-B67E-4C9E-BBBB-1D9270C6BC71@microsoft.com... > Taking a communications class, the prof says in publisher to "replace the > information in the place...

Replacing old Windows XP and Outlook Express with new Windows 7
How do I export the contents and settings out of Outlook Express and import the accounts, settings and emails into Windows Live Mail on another machine? For messages: Copy the *ENTIRE* OE message store folder to flash or CD. (Folders.dbx must be included). Place this on the Desktop or other location on the machine using WLMail. Open WLMail and: File | Import | Messages | Microsoft Outlook Express 6 and point to where you saved it. For Addresses: Open the Address Book in OE and File | Export | Address Book (wab) and save it to the Desktop. Copy to flash or CD. Place this on the...

Do you want to replace the contents of
When my macro runs, it stops after this procdure and asks "Do you want to replace the contents ofthe destination cells" is there something I can add that will automatically tell it yes? Here is the part of the macro that it stops on. Selection.TextToColumns Destination:=Range("C1"), DataType:=xlDelimited, _ TextQualifier:=xlDoubleQuote, ConsecutiveDelimiter:=False, Tab:=False, _ Semicolon:=False, Comma:=False, Space:=False, Other:=True, OtherChar _ :="/", FieldInfo:=Array(Array(1, 1), Array(2, 1), Array(3, 1)) Thanks H...

How do I replace just a few characters?
Hello, I have an excel worksheet with a street name column. I need to rename some names from "Main Street" to "Main St". I can do it for one name easily with find and replace, but how do I make it work for an entire column of different names such as "Easy Street" and "Main Street". If I do find "* Street" and replace with "* ST" I get "* ST" for the output instead of "Easy ST" What am I missing? -- Tomsriv ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Tomsriv's Profile: http:/...

Replacing Character
I need to replace/delete the " >" character at the end of a number... when the data was brought into the excel 1234> was the number that cam it happens in about 7000 lines any suggestions on how to replace it with a blank?? thank -- tico31p ----------------------------------------------------------------------- tico31pl's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1040 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=46572 Select the range to fix. Edit|Replace what: " >" (without the quotes with: (leav...

VBA to find filename and replace
Hi I just found the answer to "Find and Replace in VBA" and tried to adapt it for what I'm doing, but it's more difficult so I need some help please. I have multiple worksheets in an excel 2007 workbook - a monthly report. Within the worksheets I have many cells that link to last months workbooks - (i.e I compare last month figures to this months figures). I need the macro to do the following: - Create an Input box for the user to "enter the name ofTHE OLD months workbook" - Create an Input box for the user to "enter the name of THE NEW mont...

Replacing A Column Of Numbers
Hello, New user of Excel 2007, and Excel in general. Should be simple, but I just can't figure out how. Have a column of numbers in Column A In Column B (row 1)I have the formula of what's in A (row 1) multiplied by 1000 And I have dragged this formula downwards, so I now have in each row B what is in the same row in Column A multiplied by 1000. So far, all is fine. Now, I want to replace what's in Column A by the newly generated values in Column B (row by row replacement) I can't just Cut out everything in Column A, as B then disappears, as, I'v...

Find / Replace
In a field, I would like to update all instances of "Daily Billing" to "Rental Payment - Daily Billing". The Replace function works the first time, but when I add data to the file, and run the query again, it updates the fields which have already been upated to "Rental Payment - Rental Payment - Daily Billing". I can see why it is doing this, but is there a way for the update query to look at just the first 11 characters of the field and only perform the update if it finds the "Daily Billing" text there? Thanks. Use "Daily Billing" as ...

Replacing an OLE picture's picture property
I've been designing a catalog for my home movies. When the user uses a dropdown down menu, selects the title, it reads a synopsis and image name to display for that movie. Its an OLE picture object , but each time a new movie is selected, the code inserts another image (doesn't replace the existing image). My problem is that I can't figure out how to access the .picture property of the OLE object. ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ ~~Now Availab...

using smart replace with replace
Hello there when u run replace(Field, 'abc', 'def') it replace any text in field who have 'abc' no metter what is before and after the text But if i want to replace 'abc[', 'abc', 'abc def', 'abc def', 'abc.def' ext.... and not replace 'abcd', 'abc_def' is there a way to do this? Is that what you are looking for? UPDATE my_table SET my_column = REPLACE(my_column, 'abc', 'def') WHERE my_column IS NOT LIKE '%abcd%' AND my_column IS NOT LIKE '%abc_def%' ...

Keyboard Shortcut to toggle b/w Find and Replace and Active Worksheet?
Hi: I open the Find and replace Dialogue Box using CTRL+F and then enter the value I am looking for. Excel moves the cursor to the cell in question with the found value. Is there anyway to then use the keyboard to move from the dialogue box into the actual worksheet, without having to mouse click back into the open file? It seems there has to be some type of way to use the keyboard to move from the Find Dialogue box without using the mouse. I hope I am being clear on what I am trying to do, it seems very simple yet I cannot figure out what keyboard command to use to basically select the Exce...

Multiple IF statement replacements?
I need some help and don't know if it will be possible to get it to do what I need. I am automating all my paperwork I do every morning and I need a cell on a worksheet to decypher people's initials and translate it to a name. here is a sample of what I have. =IF('INDIVIDUAL TARGET'!A21="DH","Diane",IF('INDIVIDUAL TARGET'!A21="LT","Lisa",IF('INDIVIDUAL TARGET'!A21="LB","Linda",IF('INDIVIDUAL TARGET'!A21="RN","Rae",IF('INDIVIDUAL TARGET'!A21="LM","Liz&q...

replacing with placeholder
Hi @all I would like to use a general placeholder to replace cellvalues. example: All my Phonenumers end with a '-'. Now I would like to replace the '-' with just nothing. This is easy with replace '-' with ''. Unfortunately the '-' character is also used inside the number (+34-2344234-). How can I do this now? I would tried to replace '*-' with '*' -> results is just '*' (makes sense...) anybody an idea? thnx in advance Daniel P.S. in a DosBox you can do this with: rename *.htm *.html (renames all .htm file to .html files ...

Replace zeros with "-" in Reports
Hello Experts, I have a report that based on a query. The query adds up my monthly hours for the people that work on the project and the report displays the result. my formula in the query to calculate total forJanuary for example is 07Jan: Nz([07Jan_1])+Nz([07Jan_2])+Nz([07Jan_3])+Nz([07Jan_4]). So all I do is add the field 07Jan into my report. The problem am having is I like to replace all the 0.00 totals with "-". I try to do IIF(Nz([07Jan]=0,"-",Nz([07Jan]) but I get an #Error in the repot. The only way I got to work is by using a text box and if I repeat th...

Image placeholders in the body of the mail message instead of the actual image: Outlook 2003
Gurus, Running Outlook 2003. Sometimes when I read emails I see image placeholders in the body of the message instead of the actual image and I am not reading in Plain Text I am reading in HTML. Any ideas on how to fix this problem? -- Spin You may want to take a look at the following link: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/community/columns/ietopten.mspx Nikki Peterson "Spin" <Spin@invalid.com> wrote in message news:6r03ggFerun0U1@mid.individual.net... Gurus, Running Outlook 2003. Sometimes when I read emails I see image placeholders in the body of the message...

How do I find and replace text with symbols?
I have a document in Publisher that has been imported from MS Word. A recurring symbol in the word document has translated to recurring "ü" in the Publisher document. Since there are many of these recurrences throughout the document, can I use the find and replace all feature to replace the "ü" with the correct symbol? If so, then how? If not, then how? Thanks. tafcdo <tafcdo@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > I have a document in Publisher that has been imported from MS Word. A > recurring symbol in the word docu...

replacing mfc42.dll
following Knowledge base article 186787, i am trying to replace the mfc42.dll file, but can't because it is in use. Can anyone tell me how to free this file so that I can replace it? Thanks in advance Try shutting down all Services for IIS and Exchange first. Then go to the task manager and end the Mfc42.dll process. Copy the file to the HDD and then restart all services. As always I recommend doing a full backup before making any registry or file changes. "Dave Q" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:045a01c3cfb6$9d45a310$a001280a@phx.gbl......