Removing text #2

I have a column of names with text and numbers at the end

eg

J Smith ABC 5.0

I'd like to remove the last characters leaving the names only.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

DR
0
DREED7108 (2)

Hi
maybe a formula like
=TRIM(LEFT(A1,LEN(A1)-3))
in an adjacent column

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

DREED wrote:
> I have a column of names with text and numbers at the end
>
> eg
>
> J Smith ABC 5.0
>
> I'd like to remove the last characters leaving the names only.
>
> Can anyone help?
>
> Thanks
>
> DR
0
frank.kabel (11126)
6/11/2004 1:53:41 PM
One way:

=LEFT(A1,MIN(IF(ISNUMBER(1*MID(A1,ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&LEN
(A1))),1)),ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&LEN(A1)))))-1)

Array-entered (press ctrl/shift/enter).

HTH
Jason
Atlanta, GA

0
jason.morin (561)
6/11/2004 1:57:14 PM
Thanks for that, it works a treat.

DR

"Frank Kabel" wrote:

> Hi
> maybe a formula like
> =TRIM(LEFT(A1,LEN(A1)-3))
> in an adjacent column
>
> --
> Regards
> Frank Kabel
> Frankfurt, Germany
>

> DREED wrote:
> > I have a column of names with text and numbers at the end
> >
> > eg
> >
> > J Smith ABC 5.0
> >
> > I'd like to remove the last characters leaving the names only.
> >
> > Can anyone help?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > DR

0
DREED7108 (2)
6/11/2004 2:04:02 PM
Hi,

it depends for example if  all the names are in this format
firstname last name abc 5.0  then use this quite long formula.

=LEFT(A1,FIND(" ",A1)-1)&" " & IF(ISERR(MID(A1,FIND("
",A1)+1,IF(ISERR(FIND(" ",A1,FIND(" ",A1)+1)),FIND(" ",A1),FIND("
",A1,FIND(" ",A1)+1))-FIND(" ",A1)-1)),"",MID(A1,FIND("
",A1)+1,IF(ISERR(FIND(" ",A1,FIND(" ",A1)+1)),FIND(" ",A1),FIND("
",A1,FIND(" ",A1)+1))-FIND(" ",A1)-1))

if you know that the last characters are alwasy the same number of
letters like for example "abc 5.0" contains 7 characters then you can use.

=LEFT(A1,LEN(A1)-7) ' to remove the last 7 characters.

Hope it helps.

Thanks,

Cesar Zapata

DREED wrote:
> I have a column of names with text and numbers at the end
>
> eg
>
> J Smith ABC 5.0
>
> I'd like to remove the last characters leaving the names only.
>
> Can anyone help?
>
> Thanks
>
> DR
If there are always two words to the names, try Data >
Text to Columns > Space Delimited and concatenate the
names.

Evan Weiner
Richland WA

0
anonymous (74722)

Convert Text To Valid Date
I have text field of [Yr] and [mth] and sample records as follow [Yr] [mth] 2010 01 2010 02 How to convert the two fields as a valid year & month date Thanks hi, On 20.04.2010 12:17, zyus wrote: > I have text field of [Yr] and [mth] and sample records as follow > > [Yr] [mth] > 2010 01 > 2010 02 > > How to convert the two fields as a valid year& month date SELECT DateSerial([Yr], [mth], 1) As SampleDate, * FROM yourTable mfG --> stefan <-- On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 03:17:01 -0700, zyus <zyus...

Default Footer #2
Is there a way to set Excel to place the file path footer on all documents by default? I want every document opened or created in Excel to place this footer in the document. You could use before print macro that will put the path there before you print -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom Excel 95 - Excel 2007 Northwest Excel Solutions www.nwexcelsolutions.com "It is a good thing to follow the first law of holes; if you are in one stop digging." Lord Healey "Jules" <Jules@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6EAB57A8-7BBA-4D5B-9C64-862406758147@microsoft.c...

Pasteing In text into a current text box
When I cut text from a website and attempt to paste it into a current text box, Publisher 2003 defaults to create a new text box instead of inserting it into the preexisting one. How can I fixt this? Firstly you do not say which version of Publisher you are using. Secondly when you copy a webpage you are copying HTML. Use menu EDIT > Paste Special > Unformatted Text or paste into Notepad which will remove all the formatting and then re-copy and paste into Publisher. "��MS-Publisher��" wrote: > Firstly you do not say which version of Publisher you are using. ========...

How to edit a copy of a built-in shape? #2
I need to make a new stencil containing some custom shapes for digital logic. I am able to copy an existing figure (Amplifier shape from Analog and Digital Logic) into my own stencil and select Edit Master>Edit Master Shape. When trying to edit the shape (either ungroup or delete sth) I get a message "Shape protection, container, and/or layer properties prevent complete execution of this command". I deselected all checkboxes in Protection window while the original shape was selected. However, the issue still persist. How do I edit a copied shape? I've done that in Vis...

Removal

Help with a formula #2
Hi, I am trying to create a fairly simple formula where when the use enters a 3 digit country code such as CAN, excel automatically enters the part of the world that code is from. So basically I have 7 categories (South America, North America, Asia Pacific, South Pacific, Europe, Middle East and Africa with each having the relevent 3 digit codes assigned to them for example North America = USA, YYZ, RDU - the most has 25 codes) so when USA is entered, the following cell would enter South America. So two things I guess I need to do :- 1) Assign country codes to country regions 2) Use a for...

ScrollView #2
I am using class derived from CScrollview.I want to achieve scrolling from this class. i added OhScroll() and OnVScroll() functionality to this class. When i scrolling lineright and page right . its working fine but when i am scrolling page left and lineright some of the portion or not redrawing , i am getting this for both horizontal and vertical scrolling. Advance thanks for you. > I am using class derived from CScrollview.I want to achieve scrolling from > this class. i added OhScroll() and OnVScroll() functionality to this class. > When i scrolling lineright and page right ...

Public Folder in distribution list #2
I have a public folder that needs to receive a daily newsletter from a newgroup. I set up the appropriate SMTP address on a distribution list, and then assigned the distribution list "Contributor" permissions on the public folder. I added the public folder to the distribution list (as well as one individual who receives it separately). When I send to the distribution list from an external account, I get a bounceback from the public folder SMTP address. Any ideas why? What version of Exchange? Why are you also using a distribution list? You can set the PF to receive mail dire...

Remove Excel Icon ??

Resizing row height to dynamically fit height of text box
Is there a way to link the height of a text box to the height of a row so that as you type text into the text box and the text box's height increases, the row height will also increase? I know That by setting the "Move and size with cells" option you can make the TEXT BOX height increase as the ROW height increases, but I'm looking to do the opposite (i.e. make the ROW height increase as the TEXT BOX height increases). Not too complicate things too much, but I was also hoping to do this within a protected sheet. "Jon" wrote: > Is there a way to link the...

Stacked Pie Charts #2
I cannot find any directions for creating stacked pie charts - as in displaying a series of data content for each pie slice. -- Athalie Athalie - You don't mean stacked so much as allowing each wedge in the main pie to be drilled down to show more detail. Perhaps you want something like this? http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/Pub0009/LPMArticle.asp?ID=471 - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ Athalie wrote: > I cannot find any directions for creating stacked pie charts - as ...

Wrap text and row autofit
Hello, If Wrap text is enabled for a cell, the row autofit function works properly. But if I merge 2 or more cells in a row, then autofit doesn't work. It sets itself to the height of 1 row even if the contents require more than 1 row's height. Pls help. Note: Excel 2003 version. thanks, GK GK Rows with Merged cells will not Autofit. Just one of many problems with merged cells. You need VBA code to do that. Here is code from Greg Wilson. Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) Dim NewRwHt As Single Dim cWdth As Single, MrgeWdth As Single Dim c As Range, cc As ...

Conditional Formatting Text!!
Hi I want to conditionally format some text in a spreadsheet using formula: I have column A1 with: 4a Be 3a To 4c To 4b Be 4c Be 5c Be 5c To 6a Be etc... What I want to do is for all cells which contain "5a Be" "5b Be" 5c Be" "4a Be" "4b be" and "4c Be" to be highlighted in Red - is there a formula to put all of them into one formula - If("5a Be" or "5b Be) etc.. Thanks Kiran "Kiran" <kiran.vithal@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1143053337.964222.63000@t31g2000cwb.googlegroups.com... > Hi > ...

Remove lines with +++

IF Function with Text values
Hi, I can't seem to get the IF formula to work with my spreadsheet. I have two colums one with user login the other with surname and i need to pick the surname out of the user login and i can't get the IF true or false to pick out the surnames, any help very much appriciated. Hi use something like =VLOOKUP("user_id",A1:B100,2,0) -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany .. wrote: > Hi, I can't seem to get the IF formula to work with my spreadsheet. I > have two colums one with user login the other with surname and i need > to pick the surname out of the u...

ActiveSync fails if the SMTP primary e-mail is not the same as the user ID #2
Please help. I have already made a posting below. Is there any fix for this. Or some configuration changes. ...

counting #2
I would like to show the number of 1's, M's, A's and blank cells in a column, can anyone help. Alan have a look in the help index for COUNTIF -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin.rr.com "fomula problems" <fomulaproblems@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DBE38035-C806-4EE7-8AE6-B2717BF46877@microsoft.com... >I would like to show the number of 1's, M's, A's and blank cells in a >column, > can anyone help. > Alan ="1's="&COUNTIF(A:A,1)&CHAR(10)&"M's="&COUNTIF(A:A...

why text only on my in-coming emails?
why am I getting text only on my in-coming emails? Hello Happy, What version of Outlook are you using? -Ben- Ben M. Schorr, MVP Roland Schorr & Tower http://www.rolandschorr.com Microsoft OneNote FAQ: http://www.factplace.com/onenote.html > why am I getting text only on my in-coming emails? > Do you have the option set to read all standard mail in plain text? It's under Tools > Options > Email Options. -Peter "Happy Jack" <Happy Jack@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B76EED14-D933-4379-A75C-145590477C86@microsoft.com... > why am...

Registry question #2
How can I step through and retrieve the key "names" and data for each key name for a certain registry key. I don't know the key name of each entry in advance. Example: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\TestApp\Settings Thanks, Mark use RegEnumKeyEx "Mark F." <replytogroup@news.com> wrote in message news:D2GBe.120795$j51.8121@tornado.texas.rr.com... > How can I step through and retrieve the key "names" and data for each > key name for a certain registry key. I don't know the key name of each > entry in advance. > > Example: > HKEY_C...

how to convert mail to task? #2
hi everyone, i wonder if someone knows how can i make a mcro that will convert mai (from specific folder) to a task? i have a folder in my outlook that every mail there i convert to tas by draging the mail (using the right click) to the task folder an choosing the "Copy Here as Task with Attachment" option - as you ca see in the attach pic i want to make this action automatic. 10x for your time eligr +---------------------------------------------------------------- | Attachment filename: !test.jpg |Download attachment: http://www.outloo...

Text Boxes on Tabbed pages in Form
I have an entry form for a database, and it has 8 tabbed pages. I have recently added 2 new text boxes in order to record and gather more information. However, as I go through the tabbed pages, the 2 new boxes I created show on every page. I noticed that when I click on the page tab, all the other boxes and fields that change from page to page have a black box, seemingly to show that they are grouped. I then when to Format and tried to group in my two new boxes, but that is not an option. I was wondering what can be done so I can have my newly created items only appear on the first...

How to Remove SRS

Hints/tips text block for Word
I need a text block for hints/tips to slot into body text, preferably with a symbol like a lightbulb or pointing hand. Thanks You could define a style using the lightbulb or pointing hand as a "picture bullet." Or you can anchor a graphic to a paragraph in a dedicated style and save the empty (or dummy) paragraph as an AutoText entry (building block in Word 2007). -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "Ciceronian" <Ciceronian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B59E0C...

remove Fax from address book?