Removing spaces from middle of cell

In my spreadsheet there is a column that contains number, 3 on the left,
space, 3 on the right.  I want to remove that space.  Rather than doing this
in three steps, taking left, then taking right, then joining those together,
is there an easier way to accomplish the same thing.

It currently looks like this 216 123
I want it to be this 216123

I'm sure there is an easier way, but I only know how in three steps.

Thanks!

Hi,

One way is to use the formula below in a helper column and then copy the
helper column and paste special|Values back over the original data. you can
then delete the helper column

=SUBSTITUTE(A1," ","")
--
Mike

question.

On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 09:27:02 -0700, TJAC <TJAC@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>In my spreadsheet there is a column that contains number, 3 on the left,
>space, 3 on the right.  I want to remove that space.  Rather than doing this
>in three steps, taking left, then taking right, then joining those together,
>is there an easier way to accomplish the same thing.
>
>It currently looks like this 216 123
>I want it to be this 216123
>
>I'm sure there is an easier way, but I only know how in three steps.
>
>Thanks!

Another way would be to use FIND/REPLACE
	Find what: <space>
	Replace with:  "just leave this blank"

--ron
0
Ron
4/21/2010 5:13:31 PM
I wasn't even thinking of something that simple.  Thanks!

"Ron Rosenfeld" wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 09:27:02 -0700, TJAC <TJAC@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote:
>
> >In my spreadsheet there is a column that contains number, 3 on the left,
> >space, 3 on the right.  I want to remove that space.  Rather than doing this
> >in three steps, taking left, then taking right, then joining those together,
> >is there an easier way to accomplish the same thing.
> >
> >It currently looks like this 216 123
> >I want it to be this 216123
> >
> >I'm sure there is an easier way, but I only know how in three steps.
> >
> >Thanks!
>
> Another way would be to use FIND/REPLACE
> 	Find what: <space>
> 	Replace with:  "just leave this blank"
>
> --ron
> .

Much easier and faster than mine.  Thank you!

On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 10:56:01 -0700, TJAC <TJAC@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>I wasn't even thinking of something that simple.  Thanks!

Glad to help.  Thanks for the feedback.
--ron
0
Ron

Remove Excel Icon ??

Removal

Remove lines with +++

Non-positional cell formulas?
Ok, I have a spreadsheet with multiple columns, for example: Date | spanning header1 | spanner header2 | spanning header3 | Average header | | subhead1a | subhead1b | subhead2a | subhead2b | subhead3a | subhead3b | | date | s1adata | s1bdata | s2adata | s2bdata | s3adata | s3bdata | average s1a,s2a,s3a | Now for every row, I need to calculate the subtotal data. No problem with the formula (like in =AVERAGE(B3,D3,F3)). The next line's formula would be =AVERAGE(B4,D4,F4). The problem ...

How to Remove SRS

Editing in a cell
I am having a problem with a newly created workbook. When I go to a cell that has data in it and try to add more data to the existing string I lose all the previous information. The work sheet that I am working in is protected and I have "edit directly in cell" checked in the options section. It is almost like my double click (as well as F2) are being treated as a single click. Thank you I figured it out. For some reason "Hide" is selected for the unlocked cells. "John English" wrote: > I am having a problem with a newly created workbook. > > Wh...

remove Fax from address book?

How to refer to cells dependent on a specific variable
I'm making a contact list where I in sheet 2 want to take out specifi details from sheet 1 dependent on whether there is arranged a meetin with the company. In sheet 1 each company has a row and when i tick of "Meeting" from a validation list, I have put under contact result fo each company, I want a function that can take the relevant inf (company name, contact person, date of contact, etc) and put them i sheet 2. Do you have a suggestion? -- Krelle ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Kreller's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.p...

Removing an item from menu

code to make a block arrow point from cell A to cell B
Hello, I'm looking for a piece of code to make an existing shape (block arrow) point from one cell to another. I know how to refer to cells and their properties. It's just the shape that I don't know how to handle by vba. Could you give me a hand or a reference? Thanks Is this what you are wanting? Activecell.Value = ChrW(&H25BA) -- Cheers, Ryan "hermac" wrote: > Hello, > I'm looking for a piece of code to make an existing shape (block > arrow) point from one cell to another. I know how to refer to cells > and their propert...

Remove deduction code from payroll stub

reformat text in a cell
I have 2000+ cells that look like this: UK00001 Geddy Lee 2112 Bytor Ln GLENVIEW, IL 60025-1522 Is there a simple way to add a space after each line? right now when i paste it into a word doc, it shows like this : UK00001 Geddy Lee2112 Bytor LnGLENVIEW, IL 60025-1522 I would like to REFORMAT every cell to look like this with spaces in between to make it readable: UK00001 Geddy Lee 2112 Bytor Ln GLENVIEW, IL 60025-1522 any suggestions? ...

How to select other random cells
I have a 2 part question. I want to have a 1 question survey randomly filled out by 200 people. Column A lists the 1 questions. Columun b has ABCDE listed in cells B6 to b10. I would like 200 samples in columns c, d, e, etc. How do I set this up so that they randomly Coose B6 to B 10. Second part. On another spreadsheet, I have a similar situation, but the user has 10 answers to select from and I want them to randomly select all that apply. How would I do this? Thanks! ...

Need to remove selected characters

How to Remove Yahoo toolbar

Cannot view single page, lots of space under the page
Ok I have a 7 page pub 2003 doc. For some reason now when I click on the pages, i am not just stuck on one page, i can scroll down and there is a bunch of extra space. So when I click on print preview, it shows my page, and 3 blank pages. how do i delete those? I have 7 pages complete, but each of them have all this extra space??SO confused! Please help if you can!!!! Sounds like it accidentally got changed to a web publication. From the File menu, click Page Setup and see what it says. -- Computing should be about insight, not numbers or flash. i chaged it back, and it shows a pre...

Removing password protection on a sheet

Adding and removing removable drives

how to remove print option in a particular excel file
how to remove print option in a particular excel file You can do this Copy this event in the Thisworkbook module Private Sub Workbook_BeforePrint(Cancel As Boolean) Cancel = True End Sub If you want to remove the print icon post back -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "excel" <excel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C7859E37-2534-4E83-8F71-B9C3CF5C37BA@microsoft.com... > how to remove print option in a particular excel file ...

Removing Synchronised Contacts
We've a number of client pcs that have been installed with the Outlook Client pointing to a user acceptance test (UAT) system. The Outlook client has synchronized CRM contacts into their Outlook Contacts folder. How can we remove the UAT contacts? I tried to do a Find in Outlook to find the CRM specific contacts, but you don't seem to be able to find the CRM user defined fields? Strange. Any thoughts? You can see the custom CRM fields on an contact view. Choose a contact view that lists the records in a table form, such as 'Phone List'. Then, choose to customize ...

Need formula to Identify Cells that contain both Numbers and Text
Hi, I have a spreadsheet that has some cells in a column containing both text and numbers, i.e. a phone number, city and state. In that same column I have cells that only contain a city and state. I need to come up with a formula that will identify which cells do not contain numbers in them. Please advise, Steve Steve If the number is always first then in a column near it (We'll say the number/text is in column A enter) =IF(ISNUMBER(VALUE(LEFT(A1,1))),"Number","Text") Some may be overkill but I add VALUE to make sure it tries to parse the first character to a...