Removing records

I want to remove all records with the same identifier
between the earliest date and the latest date so I'm left
with 2 records only per identifier.

Currently file looks like this;
ID      DATE
41491	10-Feb-03
41491	10-Feb-03
41491	7-Apr-03
41491	7-Apr-03
41491	6-Jun-03
41491	6-Jun-03
41492	10-Feb-03
41492	4-Apr-03
41494	17-Feb-03
41494	28-Apr-03
41497	7-Mar-03
41497	7-Mar-03
41497	1-Apr-03
41497	1-Apr-03
41499	17-Mar-03
41499	17-Mar-03

I want it to end up looking like this;
41491	10-Feb-03
41491	6-Jun-03
41492	10-Feb-03
41492	4-Apr-03
41494	17-Feb-03
41494	28-Apr-03
41497	7-Mar-03
41497	1-Apr-03
41499	17-Mar-03
41499	17-Mar-03

Once this has been achieved I will then calculate the
elapsed time between start and finish.

Any thoughts?

Phil

0
anonymous (74717)

Hi Phil!

Not exactly what you want but very close. Would this setup
be acceptable?

41491	6-Jun-03	10-Feb-03
41492	4-Apr-03	10-Feb-03
41494	28-Apr-03	17-Feb-03
41497	1-Apr-03	7-Mar-03
41499	17-Mar-03	17-Mar-03

Then you could do your elapsed time calculation in the
next column over.

Let me know.

Biff

0
biffinpitt (3171)
7/21/2004 4:23:24 AM
Thanks Biff,

Your format is fine, better than mine in fact. I
understand doing the calculation but I still need to work
out how to remove all the other records for each
individual ID that fall between the earliest and latest
date.

Any thoughts on that?

0
anonymous (74717)
7/21/2004 8:02:03 AM
Hi Phil!

No problem but it will take a few steps.

The first thing to do is to create the list of ID's.
You're going to create a new list from the old list. Once
you do that then you can decide if you want to keep the
old list or just delete it.

The new list: (very simple)

Have in mind where you want the new list to appear. For
the sake of this example I'll use D1 and assume your
current list is in cols A and B - A1:B17.

- Select the range of ID's including the header.
- Goto Data>Filter>Advanced Filter
- Check: copy to another location
- The list range should already be entered but if it isn't
  enter the range of ID's including the header.
- In copy to: enter where you want the new list to appear,
D1
- Check: unique records only
- OK out

Now you have a new list of ID's in D1 that should look
like this:

ID

Now, in cells E2 and F2 you need to enter one of two
formulas depending on how you want the format. Use the
first formula in E2 if you want the earliest date to
appear first and use the second formula in F2 if you want
the latest date to appear second. Or just switch them
around. Adjust the range references to suit. Col B are the
dates.

Earliest date (start date):

=INDEX($B$2:$B$17,MATCH(MIN(IF
($A$2:$A$17=$D2,$B$2:$B$17)),$B$2:$B$17,0))

Latest date (end date):

=INDEX($B$2:$B$17,MATCH(MAX(IF
($A$2:$A$17=$D2,$B$2:$B$17)),$B$2:$B$17,0))

These are array formulas. They must be entered using the
key combination of CTRL SHIFT ENTER.

After you have the two formulas entered, select both cells
E2 and F2. Then either drag copy down or just double click
the fill handle.

There you go.

Now, if you want to delete the original list you'll have
to change the formulas to constants or you'll get errors.
To do that select the range of formulas and do: Copy>Paste
Special>Values. Then you can safely delete the original
list.

Kind of long winded but it only takes a few minutes to
complete.

Biff

0
biffinpitt (3171)
7/21/2004 6:47:09 PM
Another way if you like Biff's layout and your dates are sorted in ascending
order within each ID--and the ID's are sorted.

Put this in C2 and drag down
=IF(A2=A1,"",B2)
(Just picks up the first date in the group.

Put this in D2 and drag down:
=IF(A2=A1,"",MAX(IF(A2:A999=A2,B2:B999)))
(change 999 to more than the number of rows you're using)

Now select columns C:D
edit|copy
Edit|paste special values

Apply data|Filter|autofilter to column C.
filter to show blanks
delete those visible rows

Remove the filter.

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

Thanks. The first part of your suggestion works perfectly
picking out the first date and blanking the rest.
Unfortunately I'm having a problem still with last date.
Your formula gives a date which is the latest date for any
ID, not for each individual ID.

Any further thoughts?

Phil

0
anonymous (74717)
7/22/2004 8:14:07 AM
Sorry, I left out one very important thing:

This formula:
=IF(A2=A1,"",MAX(IF(A2:A999=A2,B2:B999)))
is an array formula.

Hit ctrl-shift-enter instead of enter.  If you do it correctly, excel will wrap
curly brackets {} around your formula.  (don't type them yourself.)

Sorry (again).

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

Thanks, works fine.

Phil

0
anonymous (74717)
7/23/2004 1:49:11 AM
Biff,

Thanks. Like Dave who also replied re this it was the
array formula which was the key.

Phil

0
anonymous (74717)

Remove Excel Icon ??

Removal

Record not updating right away
Using Access 2003. I have a combox lookup field on a form. When I double click on that field, my physician subform opens up to add a new physician. When I add a new physician, I have to enter the last name, then first name and click back into the last name field then click ok for that name to show up in the list. If I don't do it exactly right and click into the next record for instance, I have to close the database before the new physician name shows up in my list. I have a command button on this subform and in the "on click" event procedure I have this code below. N...

Remove lines with +++

How to Remove SRS

remove Fax from address book?

Removing an item from menu

Need to remove selected characters

Remove deduction code from payroll stub

How to Remove Yahoo toolbar

Removing password protection on a sheet

FILTER RECORDS
How can you have Excel show the number of records found when filtering in th elower lest hand corner? If your list has many formulas, the Status Bar might show "Filter Mode" instead of a count of the visible records. You can use the Subtotal function to count the visible rows. The Status Bar may also show 'Filter Mode' if a cell in the list is changed, after a filter has been applied. The following MSKB article has information: XL2000: Excel AutoFilter Status Bar Message Shows "Filter Mode" http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=213886 And th...

Missing record in GL10001 table...
Hi guys!! For example, I has some batch with a lot trx on GL module. If I try to print the Print List of this batch, the details record are missing, and sometimes, when I insert a new trx, show me the error message: duplicate record. If I select the table GL10000, i see the journal header, but if I select the table GL10001, the records are missing. What happen? My Great Plains version is 6.0 (Colombia version) wih SP12. Thanks for all and excuse my poor English ...

Adding and removing removable drives

how to remove print option in a particular excel file
how to remove print option in a particular excel file You can do this Copy this event in the Thisworkbook module Private Sub Workbook_BeforePrint(Cancel As Boolean) Cancel = True End Sub If you want to remove the print icon post back -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "excel" <excel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C7859E37-2534-4E83-8F71-B9C3CF5C37BA@microsoft.com... > how to remove print option in a particular excel file ...

Removing Synchronised Contacts
We've a number of client pcs that have been installed with the Outlook Client pointing to a user acceptance test (UAT) system. The Outlook client has synchronized CRM contacts into their Outlook Contacts folder. How can we remove the UAT contacts? I tried to do a Find in Outlook to find the CRM specific contacts, but you don't seem to be able to find the CRM user defined fields? Strange. Any thoughts? You can see the custom CRM fields on an contact view. Choose a contact view that lists the records in a table form, such as 'Phone List'. Then, choose to customize ...

Remove & Reinstall Outlook 2003
Outlook 2003 came bundled in Microsoft Office XP Professional on my new computer. Can anyone tell me how to remove and reinstall Outlook 2003? Thanks. J J Kendel <jkendel2002@yahoo.com> wrote: > Outlook 2003 came bundled in Microsoft Office XP > Professional on my new computer. Really? 2003? Office XP typically includes Outlook 2002. >Can anyone tell me how to remove and reinstall Outlook >2003? Go to Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs. Find Office and click "Change". Remove the Outlook part. Reboot. Go back to that point and add it back in again. -...

Removing BINS
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0072_01CA379C.F0CAF860 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I have some thousand of BINS; creating so many problems while doing the = cycle counts because they have zero Qty. on Hand and Zero Beginning = Qty.. when I do the scheduling, I get hundreds of page of report with = zero on hand data. Now as per KB 874145, if there is ZERO on-hand and there is no un-posted = TRX and these bins are not assigned default BINS, these can be deleted. = Guess. No I have use...

Duplicate Record Error on Owner Assignment
Hello, When I try and reassign an Account record to a different owner I get an error of: "Duplicate Record A record with these values already exists. A duplicate record cannot be created. Select one or more unique values and try again." But I've looked and the record would not be a duplicate record. And this only happens in some cases of transfering owners, but not for others. The error I get on the server is: "Exception from HRESULT: 0x80040237 Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace fo...

User removed from Webport folder access
Hi, Whenever a report is published to Webport, some users would be automatically removed from folders which they have previously been granted access. In every of these cases, we have to delete the user ID, create them again, then assign them to the folders. Does anyone know what's the cause of this problem, and how we can rectify it without having to re-create the user ID, or to prevent this from happening in the first place? We are using Webport 6.5 with Great Plains 7.5 on Windows 2000 SP4. Thanks in advance! ...

Event when removable drived added/removed
Is there an event that I can subscribe to, to get notified when a removable drive is added or removed? Thanks LS "Lloyd Sheen" <a@b.c> wrote in news:#Xols58hKHA.3792@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl: > Is there an event that I can subscribe to, to get notified when a > removable drive is added or removed? Assume all removables are USB today. :-) Start here: http://www.codeproject.com/KB/system/DriveDetector.aspx This is a wrapper project for the Windows libraries that work with these drives. Peace and Grace, -- Gregory A. Beamer (MVP) Twitter...