Removing External Links #2

Hello,

I have a spreadsheet that seems to think it needs to link to another
spreadsheet, but I know better!

I looked under Edit>Links and found the file name and searched for it on all
worksheets.  I could not find it in the formulas.

I checked my named ranges and none of them contain the offending file name.

I have buttons to which I have assigned macros, and none of them point to a
macro contained in the offending file.

Does anyone have other ideas where I might look to remove this external
reference?

By the way, I am running 2000, which doesn't have the ability to break
links.  However, I tried changing the external source to an arbitrary
worksheet, and when it tried to load it, it asked me to specifiy which sheet
in the arbitrary spreadsheet to reference to specific sheets in my original
spreadsheet.  During that process Excel mentioned two sheets in my original,
which I take as having confined my suspect area.

I checked the code for those suspect sheets and saw nothing that seemed to
be establishing an external link.

A coworker has XP, which has the ability to break external links.  I tried
this and got a serious error.  Excel shutdown and gave the opportunity to
recover the data before closing.  I tried that and it kept the data but all
the formatting was gone.  Just more evidence, that's all.

Any ideas?

Bill

Hi Bill
you may have a look at the following site:
http://www.bmsltd.ie/MVP/Default.htm
Search for Bill Manvilles Findlink tool.
Note: The site is currently not fully operating as Stephen is working
on his site.

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

Bill wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a spreadsheet that seems to think it needs to link to another
> spreadsheet, but I know better!
>
> I looked under Edit>Links and found the file name and searched for it
> on all worksheets.  I could not find it in the formulas.
>
> I checked my named ranges and none of them contain the offending file
> name.
>
> I have buttons to which I have assigned macros, and none of them
> point to a macro contained in the offending file.
>
> Does anyone have other ideas where I might look to remove this
> external reference?
>
> By the way, I am running 2000, which doesn't have the ability to
break
> links.  However, I tried changing the external source to an arbitrary
> worksheet, and when it tried to load it, it asked me to specifiy
> which sheet in the arbitrary spreadsheet to reference to specific
> sheets in my original spreadsheet.  During that process Excel
> mentioned two sheets in my original, which I take as having confined
> my suspect area.
>
> I checked the code for those suspect sheets and saw nothing that
> seemed to be establishing an external link.
>
> A coworker has XP, which has the ability to break external links.  I
> tried this and got a serious error.  Excel shutdown and gave the
> opportunity to recover the data before closing.  I tried that and it
> kept the data but all the formatting was gone.  Just more evidence,
> that's all.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Bill

0
frank.kabel (11126)
2/24/2004 11:47:41 PM
Frank,

Thanks.  It looks like it's not ready yet.  There's nothing there.  I'll
check back.

Bill

> Hi Bill
> you may have a look at the following site:
> http://www.bmsltd.ie/MVP/Default.htm
> Search for Bill Manvilles Findlink tool.
> Note: The site is currently not fully operating as Stephen is working
> on his site.
>
> --
> Regards
> Frank Kabel
> Frankfurt, Germany
>
> Bill wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have a spreadsheet that seems to think it needs to link to another
> > spreadsheet, but I know better!
> >
> > I looked under Edit>Links and found the file name and searched for it
> > on all worksheets.  I could not find it in the formulas.
> >
> > I checked my named ranges and none of them contain the offending file
> > name.
> >
> > I have buttons to which I have assigned macros, and none of them
> > point to a macro contained in the offending file.
> >
> > Does anyone have other ideas where I might look to remove this
> > external reference?
> >
> > By the way, I am running 2000, which doesn't have the ability to
> break
> > links.  However, I tried changing the external source to an arbitrary
> > worksheet, and when it tried to load it, it asked me to specifiy
> > which sheet in the arbitrary spreadsheet to reference to specific
> > sheets in my original spreadsheet.  During that process Excel
> > mentioned two sheets in my original, which I take as having confined
> > my suspect area.
> >
> > I checked the code for those suspect sheets and saw nothing that
> > seemed to be establishing an external link.
> >
> > A coworker has XP, which has the ability to break external links.  I
> > tried this and got a serious error.  Excel shutdown and gave the
> > opportunity to recover the data before closing.  I tried that and it
> > kept the data but all the formatting was gone.  Just more evidence,
> > that's all.
> >
> > Any ideas?
> >
> > Bill

Hi Bill

I joined a new company recently and have the same problem with some old files, some with 20 links just referencing 1 cell as a check.  It's a nightmare 'cause you can't update links when opening files

Some of these links don't exist anymore (I believe!).  Try selecting the whole sheet and pasting in a New Book.  This worked for me to remove those links you can't find.  You'd have to do some formatting to the new sheet though.
It turns out that I had some named ranges referring to that other file.  I
missed them the first time I looked because I only viewed the list of names
from one worksheet in the book.  I had made the apparently incorrect
assumption that it didn't matter which worksheet was active when I checked
them.  I isolated the problem by deleting one worksheet at a time and
checking for the external link to go away.  Out of futility I happened to
look at the list of named ranges again and noticed the external references
in some of them.

Thanks Carl and Frank, for your replies.

Bill

"Carl Nicholson" <carl.nicholson@bhpbilliton.com> wrote in message
> Hi Bill,
>
> I joined a new company recently and have the same problem with some old
files, some with 20 links just referencing 1 cell as a check.  It's a
nightmare 'cause you can't update links when opening files!

> Some of these links don't exist anymore (I believe!).  Try selecting the
whole sheet and pasting in a New Book.  This worked for me to remove those
links you can't find.  You'd have to do some formatting to the new sheet
though.

Change Format #2
How can I change a cell with general formatting data to a date format? As an example, I have in cell A1: 20040205 and I would like for it to read: 2004/02/05 (i.e., Feb 2, 2004) Hi Steve changing the format to DATE just goto 'Format - Cells' and choose your date format. Though this will not change your entry '20040205' to a valid date. You have to enter the dates with a delimiter or use a macro whcih will do the conversion for you (see http://www.cpearson.com/excel/DateTimeEntry.htm) Frank Steve wrote: > How can I change a cell with general formatting data to a > d...

Urgent:DCs split into 2 groups
Hi all, We experience replication or pdc role problem. Those DC split into 2 groups which seems lost the connection. On PDC, it can replicate and query FSMO with 5 DC. From another 5 DC, they can't telnet port 53/389, also fail to query FSMO and replication. I have setup 1 DC which plan to seize the roles from the PDC. DNS/WINS are running normal, but DHCP can't assign IP to client computer. Pls advise how to deal with DHCP and those 5 DC, which connected to the corrupted PDC. Many many thx! Wingo. Hello Wingo, Before going on let's see what the source pro...

Copy #2
What is the difference between copying somebody to an email and sending someone an email? Do you mean sending directly in the To: Field and sending as a CC: field? To usually means that the person is required to read and take some action. The CC field usually means that this person should know that the mail was sent/action requested/etc. but is not required to take any action. Sort of like sending a request to a co-worked and CCing the co-workers manager. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus nam...

ScrollView #2
I am using class derived from CScrollview.I want to achieve scrolling from this class. i added OhScroll() and OnVScroll() functionality to this class. When i scrolling lineright and page right . its working fine but when i am scrolling page left and lineright some of the portion or not redrawing , i am getting this for both horizontal and vertical scrolling. Advance thanks for you. > I am using class derived from CScrollview.I want to achieve scrolling from > this class. i added OhScroll() and OnVScroll() functionality to this class. > When i scrolling lineright and page right ...

Public Folder in distribution list #2
I have a public folder that needs to receive a daily newsletter from a newgroup. I set up the appropriate SMTP address on a distribution list, and then assigned the distribution list "Contributor" permissions on the public folder. I added the public folder to the distribution list (as well as one individual who receives it separately). When I send to the distribution list from an external account, I get a bounceback from the public folder SMTP address. Any ideas why? What version of Exchange? Why are you also using a distribution list? You can set the PF to receive mail dire...

Remove Excel Icon ??

How to edit a copy of a built-in shape? #2
I need to make a new stencil containing some custom shapes for digital logic. I am able to copy an existing figure (Amplifier shape from Analog and Digital Logic) into my own stencil and select Edit Master>Edit Master Shape. When trying to edit the shape (either ungroup or delete sth) I get a message "Shape protection, container, and/or layer properties prevent complete execution of this command". I deselected all checkboxes in Protection window while the original shape was selected. However, the issue still persist. How do I edit a copied shape? I've done that in Vis...

Removal

Help with a formula #2
Hi, I am trying to create a fairly simple formula where when the use enters a 3 digit country code such as CAN, excel automatically enters the part of the world that code is from. So basically I have 7 categories (South America, North America, Asia Pacific, South Pacific, Europe, Middle East and Africa with each having the relevent 3 digit codes assigned to them for example North America = USA, YYZ, RDU - the most has 25 codes) so when USA is entered, the following cell would enter South America. So two things I guess I need to do :- 1) Assign country codes to country regions 2) Use a for...

Remove lines with +++

Registry question #2
How can I step through and retrieve the key "names" and data for each key name for a certain registry key. I don't know the key name of each entry in advance. Example: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\TestApp\Settings Thanks, Mark use RegEnumKeyEx "Mark F." <replytogroup@news.com> wrote in message news:D2GBe.120795$j51.8121@tornado.texas.rr.com... > How can I step through and retrieve the key "names" and data for each > key name for a certain registry key. I don't know the key name of each > entry in advance. > > Example: > HKEY_C...

how to convert mail to task? #2
hi everyone, i wonder if someone knows how can i make a mcro that will convert mai (from specific folder) to a task? i have a folder in my outlook that every mail there i convert to tas by draging the mail (using the right click) to the task folder an choosing the "Copy Here as Task with Attachment" option - as you ca see in the attach pic i want to make this action automatic. 10x for your time eligr +---------------------------------------------------------------- | Attachment filename: !test.jpg |Download attachment: http://www.outloo...

Document Imaging Writer and Publisher--incorrect number of pages? #2
When I scanned a document from Publisher using Microsoft Document Imagining Writer, it scanned 4 pages into 2 and lost some content. Don't know why this happened or how to fix it. Please advise. Thanks ...

Cannot save external link values?
Hi, I have links in an excel worksheet to another spreadsheet and everytime I hit save I am told that it "Cannot save external link values". I cannot refresh the link without having the spreadsheet I am linked to open, otherwise my result is a list of N/A's. I am running Office 2003 on XP and have installed the service patches. I have a brand new laptop so memory is not an issue. Any suggestions?? Alan ...

How to Remove SRS

Exchange down #2
Hello, After some much needed help on this one.... Last night our SAN connection to Exchange (2003 std ed) went and so did our logs and DB, after 4 hours Exchange was back and we went home. This morning after 2 hours of user in and working the SAN connection went again this time taking the finance server too, - great!! Managed to get a working solution but we could only manage to ensure one server connected to SAN, as Finance is Progress it got the SAN. We moved (properly) via Exchange the priv and pubs to a local disk of the server and also the logs, Exchange was fine until the SAN ...

remove Fax from address book?

NDR Language #2
Hi All How do i set the language of the NDR Thanks in advance ...

Font #2
Is there any way to change the font size on the note field. We would like to increase the font size. Thanks ------=_NextPart_0001_78339D73 Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Are you talking about the window note and record note windows? There are actually 5 identical windows used for handling notes and you can use the Modifier to change the font type and size. Then just change security to use the modified versions of the windows. David Musgrave [MSFT] Escalation Engineer - Microsoft Dynamics GP Microsoft Dynamics Support - Asia Pacific Microsoft Dynamics (formerly...

Removing an item from menu

How to link a split _be?
I have two questions... My main concern is being able to temporarily open a backup of the database in a temporary folder so that the forms link to the backup of the back-end tables rather than the live tables. I'm hoping I can simply copy the split back-end and front-end files to the temporary folder and open the front-end. My second question is, what's an efficient way to link back-end tables in the front-end? Up to now I've been manually linking new Access tables as I build them. But I wonder if there's another way? In this case I've placed the back-...

Need to remove selected characters