Removing a space #2

I asked a question earlier
 need to remove an extra space in a cell (ex. cell a1 is 5543 and a space) it is set as general not a number, I have over 5700 rows, doing it manually is impossible can i do it? in a formula
However it did not work and I Do not understand typing visual basic code that well, I do unterstand formulas
Plesae help??
0
anonymous (74717)

Hi,

You might try something like this:
=VALUE(LEFT(A1,LEN(A1)-1))

If you don't care about value (number vs text) you could shorten the
equation to
=LEFT(A2,LEN(A2)-1)

Good luck

Best regards,
Kevin

"REmoving a Space" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I asked a question earlier
>  need to remove an extra space in a cell (ex. cell a1 is 5543 and a space)
it is set as general not a number, I have over 5700 rows, doing it manually
is impossible can i do it? in a formula?
> However it did not work and I Do not understand typing visual basic code
that well, I do unterstand formulas.
> Plesae help??

0
nospam710 (114)
5/25/2004 12:31:32 AM
This must be one of those many  scattered postings of yours
that someone mentioned. .

You will not get much out of newsgroups if you do not stick to
one thread,  nor will you get much if you don't use your name
(first and last) when post..

You also have spent more time saying the macro doesn't work
you don't want to learn macros,  and you don't want to type then
you would have spent learning how to use a macro with the
information already supplied.

It appears that rather than doesn't work that
you did not install the macro, so how can you honestly say it
does not work if you didn't install it..

You say it's too much to type.
You don't have to type much of anything you copy and paste.

Once you've installed the macro  it would take you less than
1/2 minute from start to finish to change 2000 cells the next time..

You cannot  use  simply  Ctrl+H  (replace)  to remove the space or
char(160) they have to be reentered afterwards and that is what the
macro will do for you all at once.   All of the other solutions
which you did not really try would take a whole lot longer
than using a macro and there is no cleanup involved with
getting rid of the extra column  if you used a macro instead.

Also formulas that simply strip the rightmost character could
put your data at risk if some don't actually have an extra space.
You'd be much safer with a formula like
   =TRIM(SUBSTITUTE(D2,CHAR(160)," "))
but then after using the fill-handle to copy down or the
name box  and  Ctrl+D to copy down you are only 1/3
of the toward completion there is a lot more to do afterwards.
You are much better off with a macro.

So to repeat,  instructions to install and use a macro
the TRIMALL macro
use of the fill-handle (if you don't use the macro)
   http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/fillhand.htm

HTH,

"REmoving a Space" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote ...
> I asked a question earlier
>  need to remove an extra space in a cell (ex. cell a1 is 5543 and a space) it is set as general not a number, I have over 5700
rows, doing it manually is impossible can i do it? in a formula?
> However it did not work and I Do not understand typing visual basic code that well, I do unterstand [understand] formulas.
> Plesae [Please] help??

0
dmcritchie (2586)

Urgent:DCs split into 2 groups
Hi all, We experience replication or pdc role problem. Those DC split into 2 groups which seems lost the connection. On PDC, it can replicate and query FSMO with 5 DC. From another 5 DC, they can't telnet port 53/389, also fail to query FSMO and replication. I have setup 1 DC which plan to seize the roles from the PDC. DNS/WINS are running normal, but DHCP can't assign IP to client computer. Pls advise how to deal with DHCP and those 5 DC, which connected to the corrupted PDC. Many many thx! Wingo. Hello Wingo, Before going on let's see what the source pro...

Copy #2
What is the difference between copying somebody to an email and sending someone an email? Do you mean sending directly in the To: Field and sending as a CC: field? To usually means that the person is required to read and take some action. The CC field usually means that this person should know that the mail was sent/action requested/etc. but is not required to take any action. Sort of like sending a request to a co-worked and CCing the co-workers manager. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus nam...

Change Format #2
How can I change a cell with general formatting data to a date format? As an example, I have in cell A1: 20040205 and I would like for it to read: 2004/02/05 (i.e., Feb 2, 2004) Hi Steve changing the format to DATE just goto 'Format - Cells' and choose your date format. Though this will not change your entry '20040205' to a valid date. You have to enter the dates with a delimiter or use a macro whcih will do the conversion for you (see http://www.cpearson.com/excel/DateTimeEntry.htm) Frank Steve wrote: > How can I change a cell with general formatting data to a > d...

Public Folder in distribution list #2
I have a public folder that needs to receive a daily newsletter from a newgroup. I set up the appropriate SMTP address on a distribution list, and then assigned the distribution list "Contributor" permissions on the public folder. I added the public folder to the distribution list (as well as one individual who receives it separately). When I send to the distribution list from an external account, I get a bounceback from the public folder SMTP address. Any ideas why? What version of Exchange? Why are you also using a distribution list? You can set the PF to receive mail dire...

ScrollView #2
I am using class derived from CScrollview.I want to achieve scrolling from this class. i added OhScroll() and OnVScroll() functionality to this class. When i scrolling lineright and page right . its working fine but when i am scrolling page left and lineright some of the portion or not redrawing , i am getting this for both horizontal and vertical scrolling. Advance thanks for you. > I am using class derived from CScrollview.I want to achieve scrolling from > this class. i added OhScroll() and OnVScroll() functionality to this class. > When i scrolling lineright and page right ...

Remove Excel Icon ??

How to edit a copy of a built-in shape? #2
I need to make a new stencil containing some custom shapes for digital logic. I am able to copy an existing figure (Amplifier shape from Analog and Digital Logic) into my own stencil and select Edit Master>Edit Master Shape. When trying to edit the shape (either ungroup or delete sth) I get a message "Shape protection, container, and/or layer properties prevent complete execution of this command". I deselected all checkboxes in Protection window while the original shape was selected. However, the issue still persist. How do I edit a copied shape? I've done that in Vis...

Removal

Help with a formula #2
Hi, I am trying to create a fairly simple formula where when the use enters a 3 digit country code such as CAN, excel automatically enters the part of the world that code is from. So basically I have 7 categories (South America, North America, Asia Pacific, South Pacific, Europe, Middle East and Africa with each having the relevent 3 digit codes assigned to them for example North America = USA, YYZ, RDU - the most has 25 codes) so when USA is entered, the following cell would enter South America. So two things I guess I need to do :- 1) Assign country codes to country regions 2) Use a for...

Default Footer #2
Is there a way to set Excel to place the file path footer on all documents by default? I want every document opened or created in Excel to place this footer in the document. You could use before print macro that will put the path there before you print -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom Excel 95 - Excel 2007 Northwest Excel Solutions www.nwexcelsolutions.com "It is a good thing to follow the first law of holes; if you are in one stop digging." Lord Healey "Jules" <Jules@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6EAB57A8-7BBA-4D5B-9C64-862406758147@microsoft.c...

Remove lines with +++

SOP Returns #2
When trying to create a return I am getting an error message: Unhandled script exception: [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Could not find stored procedure 'TDK.dbo.SVC_Calc_SOP_Document'. Does anyone know how I can fix this? Hitesh Hi Do you have any 3rd party module installed ? Thanks BS "Hitesh Varsani" <hitesh.varsani@daxten.com> wrote in message news:eUmpj5hqFHA.1032@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > When trying to create a return I am getting an error message: > Unhandled script exception: > [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Coul...

ActiveSync fails if the SMTP primary e-mail is not the same as the user ID #2
Please help. I have already made a posting below. Is there any fix for this. Or some configuration changes. ...

counting #2
I would like to show the number of 1's, M's, A's and blank cells in a column, can anyone help. Alan have a look in the help index for COUNTIF -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin.rr.com "fomula problems" <fomulaproblems@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DBE38035-C806-4EE7-8AE6-B2717BF46877@microsoft.com... >I would like to show the number of 1's, M's, A's and blank cells in a >column, > can anyone help. > Alan ="1's="&COUNTIF(A:A,1)&CHAR(10)&"M's="&COUNTIF(A:A...

how to convert mail to task? #2
hi everyone, i wonder if someone knows how can i make a mcro that will convert mai (from specific folder) to a task? i have a folder in my outlook that every mail there i convert to tas by draging the mail (using the right click) to the task folder an choosing the "Copy Here as Task with Attachment" option - as you ca see in the attach pic i want to make this action automatic. 10x for your time eligr +---------------------------------------------------------------- | Attachment filename: !test.jpg |Download attachment: http://www.outloo...

Registry question #2
How can I step through and retrieve the key "names" and data for each key name for a certain registry key. I don't know the key name of each entry in advance. Example: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\TestApp\Settings Thanks, Mark use RegEnumKeyEx "Mark F." <replytogroup@news.com> wrote in message news:D2GBe.120795$j51.8121@tornado.texas.rr.com... > How can I step through and retrieve the key "names" and data for each > key name for a certain registry key. I don't know the key name of each > entry in advance. > > Example: > HKEY_C...

Document Imaging Writer and Publisher--incorrect number of pages? #2
When I scanned a document from Publisher using Microsoft Document Imagining Writer, it scanned 4 pages into 2 and lost some content. Don't know why this happened or how to fix it. Please advise. Thanks ...

How to Remove SRS

Font #2
Is there any way to change the font size on the note field. We would like to increase the font size. Thanks ------=_NextPart_0001_78339D73 Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Are you talking about the window note and record note windows? There are actually 5 identical windows used for handling notes and you can use the Modifier to change the font type and size. Then just change security to use the modified versions of the windows. David Musgrave [MSFT] Escalation Engineer - Microsoft Dynamics GP Microsoft Dynamics Support - Asia Pacific Microsoft Dynamics (formerly...

NDR Language #2
Hi All How do i set the language of the NDR Thanks in advance ...

Exchange down #2
Hello, After some much needed help on this one.... Last night our SAN connection to Exchange (2003 std ed) went and so did our logs and DB, after 4 hours Exchange was back and we went home. This morning after 2 hours of user in and working the SAN connection went again this time taking the finance server too, - great!! Managed to get a working solution but we could only manage to ensure one server connected to SAN, as Finance is Progress it got the SAN. We moved (properly) via Exchange the priv and pubs to a local disk of the server and also the logs, Exchange was fine until the SAN ...

remove Fax from address book?

Removing an item from menu