Remove Cell Auto-Format (General) on Paste / Replace

Good morning all,

Just curious if this is able to be done. I have a series o
spreadsheets, all of them do different things, but the common factor i
that I paste claim numbers into them. The problem is, Excel seems t
think our claim numbers are dates. (Example. 2146/04 or 04/262
(different formats for different sections). Now, I have formatted AL
cells on these spreadsheets as text. (Ctrl-A, Format-Cells-Text
However, when pasting, Excel overrides whatever you've got, and choose
it's own way to paste data.

The other problem is with Find-Replace or Find-Replace All. A lot o
the time, when I get data from various sources, it has ... extra bits
Like, claim prefixes (SBC 2146/04, CMCLM 04/2621-1, etc) which I the
use find replace to remove. Same problem. What was once text, suddenl
becomes a date in Excels eyes, and I am left with Apr-2621.

So, the question is, does anybody know of a way to turn off Excel bein
'smart' when pasting or replacing data?

Thanks for your help,

-Bo

Format as text and paste special as text

--

For everyone's benefit keep the discussion in the newsgroup.

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

"beeawwb >" <<beeawwb.16xw06@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message
> Good morning all,
>
> Just curious if this is able to be done. I have a series of
> spreadsheets, all of them do different things, but the common factor is
> that I paste claim numbers into them. The problem is, Excel seems to
> think our claim numbers are dates. (Example. 2146/04 or 04/2621
> (different formats for different sections). Now, I have formatted ALL
> cells on these spreadsheets as text. (Ctrl-A, Format-Cells-Text)
> However, when pasting, Excel overrides whatever you've got, and chooses
> it's own way to paste data.
>
> The other problem is with Find-Replace or Find-Replace All. A lot of
> the time, when I get data from various sources, it has ... extra bits.
> Like, claim prefixes (SBC 2146/04, CMCLM 04/2621-1, etc) which I then
> use find replace to remove. Same problem. What was once text, suddenly
> becomes a date in Excels eyes, and I am left with Apr-2621.
>
> So, the question is, does anybody know of a way to turn off Excel being
> 'smart' when pasting or replacing data?
>
> Thanks for your help,
>
> -Bob
>

> ---

terre081 (3244)
5/28/2004 12:25:35 AM
What about on Find-Replace / Replace All? (That's the one I use a lo
more, as I have macros in other programs putting data into Excel, bu
they have extra information on them.)

Thanks for the help,

-Bo

Remove Excel Icon ??

named ranges in conditional formating inside a pivottable
Hi (excel 2007) In my pivottable column k show revenue Column l show me the sales responsible. If the revenue is less than e.g. 1,000 I want the name in col I to be red. Using conditional formating I refer to the cell k13 (the upper cell i that column). I would prefer to name that cell "revenue", but I can not refer to "revenue" in the conditional formating. What do I do wrong ? Regards Peter I just did this in an ordinary sheet but it should work in a PT Select the Names to format and choose, Conditional Formatting, Choose Formula Is, (In 2...

Removal

Remove lines with +++

Non-positional cell formulas?
Ok, I have a spreadsheet with multiple columns, for example: Date | spanning header1 | spanner header2 | spanning header3 | Average header | | subhead1a | subhead1b | subhead2a | subhead2b | subhead3a | subhead3b | | date | s1adata | s1bdata | s2adata | s2bdata | s3adata | s3bdata | average s1a,s2a,s3a | Now for every row, I need to calculate the subtotal data. No problem with the formula (like in =AVERAGE(B3,D3,F3)). The next line's formula would be =AVERAGE(B4,D4,F4). The problem ...

How to Remove SRS

Editing in a cell
I am having a problem with a newly created workbook. When I go to a cell that has data in it and try to add more data to the existing string I lose all the previous information. The work sheet that I am working in is protected and I have "edit directly in cell" checked in the options section. It is almost like my double click (as well as F2) are being treated as a single click. Thank you I figured it out. For some reason "Hide" is selected for the unlocked cells. "John English" wrote: > I am having a problem with a newly created workbook. > > Wh...

remove Fax from address book?

How to refer to cells dependent on a specific variable
I'm making a contact list where I in sheet 2 want to take out specifi details from sheet 1 dependent on whether there is arranged a meetin with the company. In sheet 1 each company has a row and when i tick of "Meeting" from a validation list, I have put under contact result fo each company, I want a function that can take the relevant inf (company name, contact person, date of contact, etc) and put them i sheet 2. Do you have a suggestion? -- Krelle ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Kreller's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.p...

Removing an item from menu

reformat text in a cell
I have 2000+ cells that look like this: UK00001 Geddy Lee 2112 Bytor Ln GLENVIEW, IL 60025-1522 Is there a simple way to add a space after each line? right now when i paste it into a word doc, it shows like this : UK00001 Geddy Lee2112 Bytor LnGLENVIEW, IL 60025-1522 I would like to REFORMAT every cell to look like this with spaces in between to make it readable: UK00001 Geddy Lee 2112 Bytor Ln GLENVIEW, IL 60025-1522 any suggestions? ...

Remove deduction code from payroll stub

code to make a block arrow point from cell A to cell B
Hello, I'm looking for a piece of code to make an existing shape (block arrow) point from one cell to another. I know how to refer to cells and their properties. It's just the shape that I don't know how to handle by vba. Could you give me a hand or a reference? Thanks Is this what you are wanting? Activecell.Value = ChrW(&H25BA) -- Cheers, Ryan "hermac" wrote: > Hello, > I'm looking for a piece of code to make an existing shape (block > arrow) point from one cell to another. I know how to refer to cells > and their propert...

Need to remove selected characters

Excel TEXT formatting
Hello, I want to use TEXT function in excel to format a number like -99.9854 to xxxxxx-99.9854 where 6 x's are 6 trailing white spaces. The number is in the range -99999.9999 to -0.9999. Any body can help please? KIS On Tue, 15 Mar 2011 16:15:50 -0700 (PDT), kis <kisitanggang@gmail.com> wrote: >Hello, > >I want to use TEXT function in excel to format a number like -99.9854 >to xxxxxx-99.9854 where 6 x's are 6 trailing white spaces. The number >is in the range -99999.9999 to -0.9999. Any body can help please? > >KIS > > > > Maybe it&#...

How to select other random cells
I have a 2 part question. I want to have a 1 question survey randomly filled out by 200 people. Column A lists the 1 questions. Columun b has ABCDE listed in cells B6 to b10. I would like 200 samples in columns c, d, e, etc. How do I set this up so that they randomly Coose B6 to B 10. Second part. On another spreadsheet, I have a similar situation, but the user has 10 answers to select from and I want them to randomly select all that apply. How would I do this? Thanks! ...

How to Remove Yahoo toolbar

outlook exchange calendar.. auto appear in crm calendar ??
Hi Is it possible to make someones calendar from exchange auto synch with his calendar in CRM? I mean.. without clicking track in crm when making an appointment ? main purpose would be so ppl create appointments with their blackberry and appears in crm.. Thanks ...

Removing password protection on a sheet

Adding and removing removable drives

how to remove print option in a particular excel file
how to remove print option in a particular excel file You can do this Copy this event in the Thisworkbook module Private Sub Workbook_BeforePrint(Cancel As Boolean) Cancel = True End Sub If you want to remove the print icon post back -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "excel" <excel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C7859E37-2534-4E83-8F71-B9C3CF5C37BA@microsoft.com... > how to remove print option in a particular excel file ...