Receiving excel files

Whenever I receive an Excel file through email and try to
open it, I receive the error message 'file format is not
valid'.  These are all .xls files.  Any suggestions on how
to fix this problem ???
0
dwire90 (1)

Doug

What versions of XL?  (if you have versions before 97 and you are sent 97 or
above, the file formats are different)

--
HTH
Nick Hodge

"Doug" <dwire90@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Whenever I receive an Excel file through email and try to
> open it, I receive the error message 'file format is not
> valid'.  These are all .xls files.  Any suggestions on how
> to fix this problem ???

0
nick_hodge (41)
10/11/2003 10:47:13 PM

open an excel e-mail attachment

Pictures Received Are Garbled
Hi, I have been receiving emails with pictures from certain people, but the pictures are shown as text. As if I had opened a jpeg with a text editor. Not all pictures come in this way, only in emails from certain people. How do I (or they) make it stop? Marebear wrote: > Hi, > > I have been receiving emails with pictures from certain people, but the > pictures are shown as text. As if I had opened a jpeg with a text editor. > Not all pictures come in this way, only in emails from certain people. > > How do I (or they) make it stop? Anti-...

Excel in Office 2007 01-23-10
My worksheet has gone blank (full screen ok - normal blank) Help! Are you sure you have opened an existing file and not a new one? What happens if you type somethings in A1, save the file, close it, and reopne? -- www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme "Hamish" wrote: > My worksheet has gone blank (full screen ok - normal blank) Help! Perhaps the windowed sheet is moved to a location out of view? Try View, Arrange all, Tiled. Hamish wrote: > My worksheet has gone blank (full screen ok - normal blank) Help! ...

delete user junk files (temp, cookies and temp. internet files) via login script
hello, I've been searching for a way to delete user junk files like it states in subject box. Setting IE settings to clear temp files when the browser is closed does NOT work. Making disk space 0 for temp files also leaves plenty of junk files behind. The only way I have seen to clear the files is manually. I've found this script to erase the junk files. It works by putting it in the all users folder in startup. c: cd\ cd C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files del *.* /f/s/q cd \ cd c:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Local ...

using 2002 excel books in Excel vX for mac
Unable to use the same book created in excel 2002 in a mac (excel v X) ...

Link 'Excel Object in Word' to Excel
I have a Word document which contains several embedded Excel objects which is sent to 600 clients. The clients complete the data collection in the word document and send back. We have a Excel worksheet for each client that uses the data in the embedded Excel objects. Is there a way to "link" or transfer the data in the 'Excel Object in Word' to the appropriate cells in the Excel worksheet? Because each Word document is customized for each client using Mail Merge and an Access database, and because there is much verbage and many sections in the document sen...

How do I "auto save" my file in MsOffice2003 Exel?
Dave Peterson's reply to a similar message may help you: http://groups.google.ca/group/microsoft.public.excel.misc/msg/7a31b73f19507fb9?hl=en& mawer-cv wrote: -- Debra Dalgleish Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html ...

Opening Excel file
When a second Excel 2003 file is opened, the original is no longer displayed in the Windows taskbar along the bottom nor is it visible when toggling through programs using alt+tab. The original file is not closed and is only visible in the "Window" pull-down screen within Excel. I have made sure all updates for Office 2003 are applied but the problem persists. Has anyone else seen this behavior? Any advice is much appreciated. - Dave Could it be as simple as: Tools|Options|View tab|check Windows in Taskbar ??? Dave Z wrote: > > When a second Excel 2003 file is...

Problem with serial receive
I have a receive thread for a serial com port. I'm calling WaitCommEvent with an overlapped structure to get events. The event mask is EV_BREAK | EV_RXCHAR | EV_ERR. I also have an overlapped read operation to get receive input. Both events are setup with auto-reset. The port works fine until I get an error. When an error occurs on the receive line the read event is signaled and the call to GetOverlappedResult returns 995 Operation Aborted (the thread has not exited). I then get a WaitCommEvent signal. I call ClearCommError() which returns a CE_RXPARITY error. I thought ClearComm...

Excel 97 hyperlinks
According to the knowledge base article 156264, the function of hiding workbooks when navigating by hyperlinks in Excel 97 is actually a program anomaly. I use Excel as a database for 800 customers and navigate to each workbook via an index of hyperlinks. The fact that the hyperlink "closes" clean documents and leaves dirty one "open" is of great use as I just use "control-tab" to see what sheets i have actually changed the pricing or information on and print them as necessary, then save the changes. SInce I talk to many of these customers each day I do ...

Query with two Tables with date filed for Date Range
How do I create a Query using two tables that have dates field to calculate a value using both the tables for a Date Range. For Example I have four TABLES- Time Card(TC), PROJECT, TC hours(HOURS), and TC expenses(EXPENSE). TC contains name of employees and their billing rates. PROJECT contains Name of Project. HOURS field are TCId, PROJECTId, Dateworked, and Hours. EXPENSE contains fields TCId, PROJECTId, Dateexpense, Expense. I want to build a query that over a Date Range that sums billable amount=hours worked* billing rate+ expense. I set the Dateworked >=[forms]![Report Date Range]![Be...

Cant send or receive emails
I've done something to my settings, and cannot send or receive emails. Can anyone tell me what to do? And I'm not a newby either, shame shame! thanks. Kari Error message? Version of Outlook? Type of mail account? Checked your mail account settings already? -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -What do the Outlook Icons Mean? -Create an Office 2003 CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 1 ----- "Kari Jacob" <jacob52@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message news:549201c49180$ec8cfa40$a501280a@phx.gbl... > I've done something to my...

Receive email in real-time
We have several PCs in our company that are receiving Exchange email messages in real-time, whereas others have to click Send/Receive within MS Outlook to receive their email. How do I setup Exchange where all users can receive their email instantaneously on any machine in the organization onto which they logon. Thanks in advance, Mervin Williams Hi, You can't configure Exchange to not deliver emails instantly to Outlook users. This is an Outlook setting and will have to be configured here. Leif "Mervin Williams" <mwilliams@innovasolutions.net> skrev i en meddelel...

how to chang cell color to text in excel worksheet
Hi I am very new comer in excel VBA programming please send me the VBA code how to change the cell color to text value. Atul Record a macro and do your changes to the selected cell/range and in the code you will generate something like this Selection.Font.ColorIndex = 3 where the 3 represents the colorindex for red colour which I chose during recording. Hope This Helps Regards, Mika Oukka <Greatatulpanday@gmail.com> wrote in message news:a7f80629-daf7-4910-8b20-f76ec2fe7248@d21g2000prf.googlegroups.com... > Hi > I am very new comer in excel VBA programming ple...

RECENTLY USED FILE LIST #3
The RECENTLY USED FILE LIST is greyed out How to activate? Go to TOOLS / OPTIONS... If the 'Recently Used File List:' checkbox is uncheck, check it. HTH, Gary Brown "bvanepps" wrote: > The RECENTLY USED FILE LIST is greyed out How to activate? The box is not available, that is the problem. Thanks "Gary Brown" wrote: > Go to TOOLS / OPTIONS... > If the 'Recently Used File List:' checkbox is uncheck, check it. > HTH, > Gary Brown > > "bvanepps" wrote: > > > The RECENTLY USED FILE LIST is greyed out How to activ...

Import Spec for excel?
Is there a way to have an import spec like access does for importing files? I have a text file with fixed width columns. I can't import into access because the file is generated from screen dumps of a mainframe system. So there are footer and headers in the middle of the data. Currently to get the info into Access someone imports into excel, deletes header lines, exports to tab delimited. I created a function in access to automate the rest of their process. However since there isn't a spec that I know of for excel the person that imports the file has to set field width on import ...

Received Not Invoiced not = GL(205000-000-000 Received Not Invoic
I am working on some questions for an audit, and was asked why when we run an RNI report [Reports>Purchasing>Analysis>Received/Not Invoiced] for a specific date range, it doesn't match the [Summary Inquiry] numbers. Shouldn't you be able to run a report that selects the RNI from the POP tables for a specified date range and the GL20000 (acct code 20500-000-000) for the same date range and come up with the same result. I figured out the answer, never mind! "Rich" wrote: > I am working on some questions for an audit, and was asked why when we run an > RN...

excel on startup
Hi I am running excel via office sbs2002 installed on winXP Pro. When I open the program I don't get a blank workbook but autoexec.bat, config.sys plus 2 other text files from the root of c: drive. What could cause this to happen? start excel click on Tools|options|General tab Look at the box labeled: At startup, open all files in: I'm betting you have C:\ in that box. Clear out that box, close excel and restart excel to test it. Allan wrote: > > Hi > I am running excel via office sbs2002 installed on winXP Pro. When I open > the program I don't get a blank ...

Excel Command
Hi friends I want to know in excel as per followings 1. How change upper and lower case in Ms Excel. 2. How to add text with number and it calculated alos for example : A B C 1 4 pcs 2 pcs =sum(A1:B1) Neither of them are things you would do in a chart. 1 For upper, look up UPPER in Excel help. For lower, look up LOWER in Excel help. 2 Custom format the cells as # "pcs" and just insert the number. -- David Biddulph "sudhir kumar" <bluecorek.s@gmail.com> wrote in message news:39382465-ddd7-4f...

Need help sorting numbers in Excel
I have a text file with 1,163 lines of all the files on my website. Each line begins with a number of hits that that page has received and has anywhere from 0 to 5 digits, then the name of the file. I'd like to be able to sort this file in Excel (for Mac, v. 4.0) by the page with the highest number of hits to the page with the lowest number of hits. I was able to play around with the Excel sort tool, but I got, for example... 1000 1001 1002 1003 10057 10062 1007 1009 101 102 .....instead of what I'm looking for: 101 102 1000 1001 1002 1003 1007 1009 10057 10062 It seems like surel...

How do I setup a watermark in excel
Hi see: http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.xlFAQ0005.html -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "John" <John@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:0BDD3160-2A12-4F6C-B554-274B3EE77645@microsoft.com... > John See Bob Phillips' site. http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.xlFAQ0005.html Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Wed, 1 Dec 2004 13:17:06 -0800, "John" <John@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: ...

Send & Receive button doesn't work
I installed Office XP and the SP3 service pack. I can't get the "send and recieve" button to work in MS Outlook. Everytime I click it I get a error message "The operation failed. An object could not be found." I tried proposed resolution in from MS knowledge base article 312354 but it didn't fix the problem. Any suggestions on the fix? i'd follow the procedure for creating a new profile again first. if that fails, try a repair operation. "Tom" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0b0d01c425ad$17305570$a401280a@...

Excel puts spaces after the decimal
When I type 1.50 in any cell in any worksheet Excel displays it as 1. 50. I have checked the decimal points in the format number, currency etc as well as in Tools , options I even checked my Windows settings and re-installed Excel but the problem still stays. PLEASE can somebody help. Did you check under Tools|Autocorrect Options to see if there was something changing the dot to dot-space-space? Isabel wrote: > > When I type 1.50 in any cell in any worksheet Excel displays it as 1. 50. I > have checked the decimal points in the format number, currency etc as well as > in...

Excel Pie Chart and Chart tips
I was wondering if anyone knows a way to change the "chart tip" that pops up when you move the mouse over a slice of a pie chart. I want to be able to customize the contests of the tip that pops up. Assume for a moment that you have enabled "names" and "values" (Tools--->Options---> Chart and check the two boxes under chart tips). When I move the mouse over a pie slice a floating box will pop up that says: Series 1 Point "xxxxx" Value: xx (yy%) I would like to be able to customize these chart tips. Thanks. Mike Check out the Auto Hover uti...

Send/Receive Operation Failed
Hey Folks, Symptom: I was receiving an "Operation Failed" message when pressing the Send/Receive button. Background: I tried the trial of Office 2003, reverted back to Office XP. After re-install of Office XP, Outlook resumed all previous settings, however the Send/Receive function was inoperative. Fix: After some searching and experimenting, the solution was found in Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 284312. After shutting Outlook down, finding the Outlook file with the extension *.srs, renaming it to *.old, and restarting Outlook, the Send/Receive function resumed n...