Read text as a cell for a formula

I have two formulas in two cells, one spitting out a value for a colum
(A) and the other a value for a row (2). In the a third cell I'm addin
the letter and number together to create a cell address (A2). I want t
use this information in a fourth cell for a formula (=A2*$B$10).

But, how do I get Excel to recognize the text "A2" as a value for
cell and then add A2 (or whatever the third cell may be) in to
formula?

Any help?

Thanks,
Nat

Hi Nate
try
=INDIRECT(A4)*$B$10
where A4 stores your cell reference as text, e.g. 'A2'
(combined/created by other formulas)

HTH
Frank

> I have two formulas in two cells, one spitting out a value for a
> column (A) and the other a value for a row (2). In the a third cell
> I'm adding the letter and number together to create a cell address
> (A2). I want to use this information in a fourth cell for a formula
> (=A2*$B$10).
>
> But, how do I get Excel to recognize the text "A2" as a value for a
> cell and then add A2 (or whatever the third cell may be) in to a
> formula?
>
> Any help?
>
> Thanks,
> Nate
>

> ---

frank.kabel (11126)
2/4/2004 8:41:50 PM
That works perfect! A simple solution that I didn't know about.

Thanks

wrapping text around another text box
My problem is this...I have two text boxes. I want to wrap one text box around the other text box but nothing seems to be working. What I want to do with the one to the left is make it into an "L" shape so that the box on the right simply fits in the empty space of the "L" to form basically a square. I have tried turning on all those text wrapping features with both boxes and cannot figure out for the life of me what is happening. I have a box drawn around the box on the right...don't know if that has something to do with it. I have tried removing it and sti...

Reading .wks file

Inserting text from a .txt file
I'm trying really hard to jump on the bandwagon and migrate from Outlook Express to Outlook, but the more I try, the more frustrated I get. Anyway, here is my question: How do I insert the text from a text file into my e-mail document. I am using the rtf editor. thank you, ~alan copy/paste? "~~Alan~~" <alan.shepro_NOSPAM@verizon.net> wrote in message news:%23%23AwZrIKEHA.1264@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > I'm trying really hard to jump on the bandwagon and migrate from Outlook > Express to Outlook, but the more I try, the more frustrated I get. > > Anywa...

File won't open as read only

Create Auto Text in Excel?
I want to be able to add the following function (=RIGHT(CELL("filename",A1),LEN(CELL("filename",A1))-FIND("]",CELL("filename ",A1),1))) into any excel sheet that I'm working on like you can do in Word with Auto Text insert. I think I should be able to do this with a macro but I can't figure out how to do it. Any help much appreciated. Cheers Lee First, you can shorten the formula a bit and reduce the number of function calls by using =MID(CELL("filename",A1),FIND("]",CELL("filename",A1))+1,32) XL doesn&...

converting results from formula to text in a new column
I have a column that I have a formula in. I want to take the results of the formula and copy it into a new column so I can copy it as text. Thanks. There is a little trick: Say A1 has =1+1 first format B1 as Text second select A1 and do a copy third select B1 and paste/special as value B1 will contain 2 as a piece of text. -- Gary's Student "nodotdak" wrote: > I have a column that I have a formula in. I want to take the results of the > formula and copy it into a new column so I can copy it as text. Thanks. thanks. it worked. "Gary''s Stude...

Getting rid of the formula but keep the Value
I have created a PRODUCT formula linked with certain cells and inputed the values elsewhere on the spreadsheet. However, whenever I cut and paste the values on another worsksheet or program, the formula shows up and not the value. Is there a way to keep the value when transferring it to another location? Copy>Paste Special>Values should work. >-----Original Message----- > >I have created a PRODUCT formula linked with certain cells >and inputed the values elsewhere on the spreadsheet. > >However, whenever I cut and paste the values on another >worskshee...

Word 2003, Select a block of text. How?
A word 2003 document where I want to select a 'block' of text in order to copy it in somewhere else. How do I mark such a 'block' ? -- ___________ Knut Willy I assume you know how to select text in general, so there are two possible interpretations of "block": 1. If you mean a large portion of text that requires scrolling the screen, click at one end of the desired selection, use the scroll bar to bring the other end in view, and Shift+click there. 2. If you mean a vertical column portion of a wider block of text, use Alt+drag to select i...

Read mail arn't marked as read anymore

Series including text possible?
Is there a better way to create a "series" that is based on characters as well as digits than what I'm doing below? I created 3 columns. I put the text in one, the digits in the second that I could apply the series to, with the 3rd column holding a ":". But when I paste into the text file, I have tabs separating the 3 columsn where I was hoping for no space. So this here - NAQAHDAH 01 : NAQAHDAH 02 : NAQAHDAH 03 : should paste like this - NAQAHD6H01: NAQAHDAH02: NAQAHDAH03: NAQAHDAH04: NAQAHDAH05: NAQAHDAH06: NAQAHDAH07: NAQAHDAH08: NAQAHDAH09 Is there perhaps a w...

Paste Special as Text
I have a small program that drops text from a Word table into Excel using Paste Special as Text. Although Paste Special as Text should insert the contents of the clipboard as text without any formatting this does not appear to be happening as it did with Excel 2000 . Excel 2003 splits the data when it meets a New Line or Carriage Return and drops anything after it down to row below. Any ideas what is causing this behaviour Thanks for your assistance Phil ...

Formula to update cell w/ActiveCell.Value?
Can I put a formula in a certain cell that will, on recalculation, update that cell with the value of the current ActiveCell? Ed Ed, Don't think so. But this sub will do it. Paste it into the sheet module. Change the location as necessary. Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range) Application.EnableEvents = False ' prevent retriggering Range("A1") = ActiveCell.Text Application.EnableEvents = True End Sub -- Earl Kiosterud mvpearl omitthisword at verizon period net ------------------------------------------- "Ed" <Ed_Millis@NOSPAM.Ho...

text running together
When I use a pulldown on a webpage, the text is not showing fully. It looks like the top word is running into the word below it. It looks like your trying to fit text into a too small space. Another example is when you look at a search box on a web page and the work "search" is already typed in it, it looks like the word "search" is showing the top half only. It's hard to explain. It takes a word such as microsoft and the bottom of the m and the i and the other letters are cut off. Also, when I try to print the page or if I try to print a document,...

scrolling text
is it possible to have scrolling text going across a spreadsheet like a screensaver until a button is pressed (or a short key)? please help thank you I thought that was a "given" with any mouse that had a wheel. Depress the wheel and see if you don't get a .four directional arrow icon. Move the mouse in the direction you wish to scroll. -- HTH, RD ============================================== Please keep all correspondence within the Group, so all may benefit! ============================================== "ash" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrot...

Going Back in History formula?
How can I express a formula that would back 300 rows and look at every other row for the 3 cells with random single digits from 0 to 9 and calculate, the how many rows back since the oldest 0-9 digit occurred in cell 1 answer, cell 2 answer and 3 answer, then calculate which 0-9 digit has not occurred in cell 1, cell 2 and cell 3 the longest and displays how many row back since the last occurrence. So that would be 4 separate formulas ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.Exc...

reading confirmation

keep formula after typing in a value in a excel cell
Hi there, my problem is, that i need something like: there is a function in a excel-cell (for example '=setvalue("sqlserver", "DB", "table")'). now i type in a value (for example 100) then the function "setvalue" must write this value (100) in the server, db and table from the parameters. after leaving the cell the formula is still the same and only the value 100 ist visible for the user. and if i go back to the cell than i can see the function in the menubar. there is a product from applix (TM1) and they did it. the problem is, that the souce...

dates and text
How do I put dates from one cell and text from another into a single cell as 10sep03_GIT If the cell with the date is formatted as a date (and not text) you can use... A1: 9/10/2003 (formatted as a date) A2: _GIT (formatted as text) A3: =TEXT(A1,"ddmmmyy")&A2 (formatted as text) If the cell with the date is formatted as text you can use A1: 10sep03 (Formatted as text) A2: _GIT (Formatted as text) =A1&A2 (formatted as text) The reason I am clarifying it like this is I have never seen the date formatted like that. "karene" wrote: > How do I put dates...

making one cell equal another cell and having the pointer stay fix
I want to make one cell equal another cell. For example I want cell A1 to equal cell B1. In cell A1 I type '=B1'. Then I enter a value in B1 and I see the value I typed in A1. But when I moved the value in B1 to another cell, the formula in A1 automatically changes to point at the cell that I moved the contents in B1 to. Is there any way I can prevent this? thanks Hank You always want to retrieve the value in B1? =indirect("b1") Hank wrote: > > I want to make one cell equal another cell. For example I want cell A1 to > equal cell B1. In cell A1 I ty...

Summing Every Nth Cell
I found a solution on the web for summing every Nth cell, but it is kind of convoluted and I ran into problems. Let's say I want to sum cells C4,C25,C46...etc all the way down. Basically every 21st cell. The problem might be that some of those rows are blank and others contain text. Is there an easy way to do this? Thanks One way: =SUMPRODUCT(--(MOD(ROW(C1:C999),21)=4),C1:C999) Personally, I think I'd use a helper column and put an indicator on every row I want summed. Say I put X in column D, then I could use: =sumif(d:d,"x",c:c) Then if I ever insert/delete rows,...

Hyperlink display text maximum in Excel 2003
Every time I try to create a hyperlink of a cell (that contains a couple of sentences worth of text), I seem to reach the maximum allowed characters for the display text - and Excel cuts off the end of the paragraph. Hence, the the hyperlink is created, but I loose half the content of the cell. Any ideas? It looks like that text to display can be 255 characters. And the same thing holds for =hyperlink(link_location,Friendly_name) Friendly_name can be up to 255 characters--and if you point at another cell that contains a longer string, you'll get an error back. Maybe you could put t...

The memory could not be "read".

Shading cells
I am using the grey shade on cells. However, in some instances the dark grey is ok, in other instances I would like to use a lighter grey. I do not see where you can go to advance options to either use RGB coding or modify the colors in the palette. Thanks, -- Mark You can change the indexed colors by clicking on Tools/Options on Excel's menu bar, selecting the Color tab, clicking a color you want to change in the grid of colors, then clicking the Modify button, then pick either an existing "Standard" color or a "Custom" color via the tabs at the top of the ...