Re: Text fomula

sorry. this is not working on subsequent experiments
apologise.

R.VENKATARAMAN <$$$$vram26@vsnl$$$.net$$$> wrote in message news:...
> try type in H1

=IF(OR(COUNTIF(D5:D16,"apple"),COUNTIF(D5:D16,"pears"),COUNTIF(D5:D16,"cherr
> y"))>=1,TRUE,FALSE)
>
> your data is in d5 to d16.
>
> do you get what you want.
>
> may be tortuous to write .may be bugs in it. try the experiment
>
> ====================================
> Jack Sons <j.sons@planet.nl> wrote in message
> > Tom,
> >
> > Suppose in A1:F6 there can be all kinds of things (text, numbers,
blanks,
> > formulae), but I want to check if "apple", "pear", "cherry"; "coconut"
and
> > "apricot" each occur at least once. If so a formula in H1 should return
> > TRUE, if not FALSE.
> > I tried
> > =COUNT(MATCH({"apple", "pear", "cherry";
"coconut","apricot"},A1:F6,0))=5
> > but it won't work, also when array entered.
> > Your help will be appreciated.
> >
> > Jack Sons
> > The Netherlands
> >

> > "Tom Ogilvy" <twogilvy@msn.com> schreef in bericht
> > > Left of a double quote:
> > > =if(counif(B1,"*apple*")>0,"apple","")
> > >
> > > --
> > > Regards,
> > > Tom Ogilvy

strangely it works with

=IF(OR(COUNTIF(D5:D16,"apple"),COUNTIF(D5:D16,"pears"),COUNTIF(D5:D16,"cherr
y")),TRUE,FALSE)

i.e without >=1

But  I could not explain the logic
=============================

> sorry. this is not working on subsequent experiments
> apologise.
>
> R.VENKATARAMAN <$$$$vram26@vsnl$$$.net$$$> wrote in message news:...
> > try type in H1

=IF(OR(COUNTIF(D5:D16,"apple"),COUNTIF(D5:D16,"pears"),COUNTIF(D5:D16,"cherr
> > y"))>=1,TRUE,FALSE)
> >
> > your data is in d5 to d16.
> >
> > do you get what you want.
> >
> > may be tortuous to write .may be bugs in it. try the experiment
> >
> > ====================================
> > Jack Sons <j.sons@planet.nl> wrote in message
> > > Tom,
> > >
> > > Suppose in A1:F6 there can be all kinds of things (text, numbers,
> blanks,
> > > formulae), but I want to check if "apple", "pear", "cherry"; "coconut"
> and
> > > "apricot" each occur at least once. If so a formula in H1 should
return
> > > TRUE, if not FALSE.
> > > I tried
> > > =COUNT(MATCH({"apple", "pear", "cherry";
> "coconut","apricot"},A1:F6,0))=5
> > > but it won't work, also when array entered.
> > > Your help will be appreciated.
> > >
> > > Jack Sons
> > > The Netherlands
> > >

> > > "Tom Ogilvy" <twogilvy@msn.com> schreef in bericht

R,

Thank you very much, it indeed works, also for D5:E16 (what I was looking
for, more that one dimension).

What also works is

=COUNT(MATCH({"apple", "pear", "cherry"; "coconut","apricot"},D5:D16,0))=5
but
=COUNT(MATCH({"apple", "pear", "cherry"; "coconut","apricot"},D5:E16,0))=5
does not work.

I got stuck with this problem, I really want it solved, also because the
list or array way (how should I call it?), with {......} is so elegant and
easier to use.

Can you or anybody out there in this august newsgroup help (and explain)?

Jack.

"R.VENKATARAMAN" <$$$$vram26@vsnl$$$.net$$$> schreef in bericht
> strangely it works with
>
> =IF(OR(COUNTIF(D5:D16,"apple"),COUNTIF(D5:D16,"pears"),COUNTIF(D5:D16,"cherr
> y")),TRUE,FALSE)
>
> i.e without >=1
>
> But  I could not explain the logic
> =============================
>

> R.VENKATARAMAN <$$$$vram26@vsnl$$$.net$$$> wrote in message
>> sorry. this is not working on subsequent experiments
>> apologise.
>>
>> R.VENKATARAMAN <$$$$vram26@vsnl$$$.net$$$> wrote in message news:...
>> > try type in H1
>> >

> =IF(OR(COUNTIF(D5:D16,"apple"),COUNTIF(D5:D16,"pears"),COUNTIF(D5:D16,"cherr
>> > y"))>=1,TRUE,FALSE)
>> >
>> > your data is in d5 to d16.
>> >
>> > do you get what you want.
>> >
>> > may be tortuous to write .may be bugs in it. try the experiment
>> >
>> > ====================================
>> > Jack Sons <j.sons@planet.nl> wrote in message

>> blanks,
>> and
> return
>> "coconut","apricot"},A1:F6,0))=5

0
j.sons (216)
2/15/2005 10:18:52 AM
Why even use the IF()?

=OR(COUNTIF(D5:D16,"apple"),COUNTIF(D5:D16,"pears"),COUNTIF(D5:D16,"cherry")
)

OR, even simpler:

=OR(COUNTIF(D5:D16,{"apple","pears","cherry"}))
--

Regards,

RD

"R.VENKATARAMAN" <$$$$vram26@vsnl$$$.net$$$> wrote in message
strangely it works with

=IF(OR(COUNTIF(D5:D16,"apple"),COUNTIF(D5:D16,"pears"),COUNTIF(D5:D16,"cherr
y")),TRUE,FALSE)

i.e without >=1

But  I could not explain the logic
=============================

R.VENKATARAMAN <$$$$vram26@vsnl$$$.net$$$> wrote in message
> sorry. this is not working on subsequent experiments
> apologise.
>
> R.VENKATARAMAN <$$$$vram26@vsnl$$$.net$$$> wrote in message news:...
> > try type in H1

=IF(OR(COUNTIF(D5:D16,"apple"),COUNTIF(D5:D16,"pears"),COUNTIF(D5:D16,"cherr
> > y"))>=1,TRUE,FALSE)
> >
> > your data is in d5 to d16.
> >
> > do you get what you want.
> >
> > may be tortuous to write .may be bugs in it. try the experiment
> >
> > ====================================
> > Jack Sons <j.sons@planet.nl> wrote in message
> > > Tom,
> > >
> > > Suppose in A1:F6 there can be all kinds of things (text, numbers,
> blanks,
> > > formulae), but I want to check if "apple", "pear", "cherry"; "coconut"
> and
> > > "apricot" each occur at least once. If so a formula in H1 should
return
> > > TRUE, if not FALSE.
> > > I tried
> > > =COUNT(MATCH({"apple", "pear", "cherry";
> "coconut","apricot"},A1:F6,0))=5
> > > but it won't work, also when array entered.
> > > Your help will be appreciated.
> > >
> > > Jack Sons
> > > The Netherlands
> > >

> > > "Tom Ogilvy" <twogilvy@msn.com> schreef in bericht

0
ragdyer1 (4060)
2/15/2005 11:36:46 AM
I replied to R without reading the entire thread.

For your question, replace the "OR" and try this:

=AND(COUNTIF(D5:D16,{"apple","pears","cherry"}))

--

HTH,

RD

R,

Thank you very much, it indeed works, also for D5:E16 (what I was looking
for, more that one dimension).

What also works is

=COUNT(MATCH({"apple", "pear", "cherry"; "coconut","apricot"},D5:D16,0))=5
but
=COUNT(MATCH({"apple", "pear", "cherry"; "coconut","apricot"},D5:E16,0))=5
does not work.

I got stuck with this problem, I really want it solved, also because the
list or array way (how should I call it?), with {......} is so elegant and
easier to use.

Can you or anybody out there in this august newsgroup help (and explain)?

Jack.

"R.VENKATARAMAN" <$$$$vram26@vsnl$$$.net$$$> schreef in bericht
> strangely it works with

=IF(OR(COUNTIF(D5:D16,"apple"),COUNTIF(D5:D16,"pears"),COUNTIF(D5:D16,"cherr
> y")),TRUE,FALSE)
>
> i.e without >=1
>
> But  I could not explain the logic
> =============================
>

> R.VENKATARAMAN <$$$$vram26@vsnl$$$.net$$$> wrote in message
>> sorry. this is not working on subsequent experiments
>> apologise.
>>
>> R.VENKATARAMAN <$$$$vram26@vsnl$$$.net$$$> wrote in message news:...
>> > try type in H1

=IF(OR(COUNTIF(D5:D16,"apple"),COUNTIF(D5:D16,"pears"),COUNTIF(D5:D16,"cherr
>> > y"))>=1,TRUE,FALSE)
>> >
>> > your data is in d5 to d16.
>> >
>> > do you get what you want.
>> >
>> > may be tortuous to write .may be bugs in it. try the experiment
>> >
>> > ====================================
>> > Jack Sons <j.sons@planet.nl> wrote in message

>> blanks,
>> and
> return
>> "coconut","apricot"},A1:F6,0))=5

0
ragdyer1 (4060)
2/15/2005 11:45:14 AM
yes elegant. thanks

RagDyeR <ragdyer@cutoutmsn.com> wrote in message
> Why even use the IF()?

=OR(COUNTIF(D5:D16,"apple"),COUNTIF(D5:D16,"pears"),COUNTIF(D5:D16,"cherry")
> )
>
> OR, even simpler:
>
> =OR(COUNTIF(D5:D16,{"apple","pears","cherry"}))
> --
>
> Regards,
>
> RD
> Please keep all correspondence within the Group, so all may benefit !
>

> "R.VENKATARAMAN" <$$$$vram26@vsnl$$$.net$$$> wrote in message
> strangely it works with

=IF(OR(COUNTIF(D5:D16,"apple"),COUNTIF(D5:D16,"pears"),COUNTIF(D5:D16,"cherr
> y")),TRUE,FALSE)
>
> i.e without >=1
>
> But  I could not explain the logic
> =============================
>

> R.VENKATARAMAN <$$$$vram26@vsnl$$$.net$$$> wrote in message
> > sorry. this is not working on subsequent experiments
> > apologise.
> >
> > R.VENKATARAMAN <$$$$vram26@vsnl$$$.net$$$> wrote in message news:...
> > > try type in H1

=IF(OR(COUNTIF(D5:D16,"apple"),COUNTIF(D5:D16,"pears"),COUNTIF(D5:D16,"cherr
> > > y"))>=1,TRUE,FALSE)
> > >
> > > your data is in d5 to d16.
> > >
> > > do you get what you want.
> > >
> > > may be tortuous to write .may be bugs in it. try the experiment
> > >
> > > ====================================
> > > Jack Sons <j.sons@planet.nl> wrote in message

> > blanks,
> > and
> return
> > "coconut","apricot"},A1:F6,0))=5

Re: Restricted Stock Unit (RSU) Disqualifying Sale and Taxes
I posted about this almost exactly three years ago. Here is an updated version of that post... I believe that on the day your RSUs are vested (deposited to your account) a taxable event occurs. Your employer witholds income tax immediately. The cost basis of the vested shares is the market value on the day of vesting. And, you should receive paperwork documenting these numbers. I modeled the above assumptions in MS Money as follows: 1. Do nothing until RSUs vest. Wait for documentation of vesting to arrive in the mail. When the documentation arrives, record the following in the M...

'Read:' receipts filtered out of Conversations but not 'RE:'plies?
Hi all, I am using the Conversation view and find that it successfully recognises slight variations in e-mail subjects if they are prefixed with RE: or SV: or AW: (replies from other languages). This is great. BUT, I also obviously want all the Read Receipts to be included in the conversation thread, so I can easily track what messages have been read or not. However, OL2003 treats slight variations in subjects if they are prefixed with Read: as totally different Conversations! :( 1) Why? 2) How can I fix this so Read: appear in the same thread as RE:? -- Thanks, CJSnet Try Googl...

Re: Error message in publisher
I would suspect a macro is embedded and you have macros turned off. I think using the acrobat buttons on the toolbar invokes a macro. Sooo...snoop around in the options and see if you have macros off and try t= urning them on. then reopen the offending file. if message goes away, you k= now what it is. (and if it were me, I'd go back and turn macros off again a= nd let the message happen. At least someone's malicious scr file won't star= t dancing on your system!) > When i open my document i get an error message but it doesn't tell me what > the problem is. The messag...

Writing to a text file
What is the best way to read and write values to a text file? I'm planning on writing a text file storing servers in the following format: Name;Location;IP;Port Server 1;USA;143.234.12.43;6273 I just like to use the C runtime to do these things. You'll get a slight performance increase if you create one huge block in memory of all the text that you want written and just write that with one call instead of a loop. You'll need a good string buffer for this. > What is the best way to read and write values to a text file? > > I'm planning on writing a text file s...

appending data from text file with different column orderings
I'm interested in appending data to an Access table without having tobe constrained by the order of the columns in an external file. Forinstance, if I have a table with 4 fields - A, B, C, D - I would liketo be able to have my external file in any column order, say D, C, B,A. Is this possible without programming?>From what I've seen, it seems that I would have to have my externalfile ordered the same as the table - A, B, C, D - and I'd like to haveindependence of the table ordering.Denis On Mar 14, 4:37 pm, John Nurick <j.mapSoN.nur...@dial.pipex.com>wrote:> Hi Denis,...

MSWORD: Replacing display text with field codes in a list of hyperlinks
Happy New Year to all! Could someone kindly make my 2010 by suggesting how I can replace the display text in a list of hyperlinks with the corresponding field codes? Thanks, Nimmi Hi nimmi, Pressing Alt-F9 toggles the field code display on/off. If the hyperlinks are formatted as such (eg blue underlined text and clicking on them activates the links), pressing Alt-F9 should display the field codes. -- Cheers macropod [Microsoft MVP - Word] <nimmi_srivastav@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:62836dc4-c36b-4776-bb94-fc1d27a28a41@j24g2000yqa.googlegroups.com... >...

Re Passport No
I can not help with the passport no perhaps you will have to contact Maree ...

Improve text searching capability in Dynamics
Currently to search for a vendor or account you must know the first few letters or words. Searching would be improved if a keyword search would bring up all matches, not just the first string of characters. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.m...

excel 2007 filter 3 text values at the same time from the same co.
I have a column that has these values AA, AX, AW, RJ, WD, CA, IE, NC Now I would like to filter AA,AX and IE only. How can I do it with just one step instead of filtering each one separately, copying and pasting onto another worksheet. Please, help Data>Autofilter then clear "Select All" and select AA, AX, IE Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Tue, 6 Apr 2010 12:25:01 -0700, Ivanka <Ivanka@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have a column that has these values AA, AX, AW, RJ, WD, CA, IE, NC >Now I would like to filter AA,AX and IE only. How can I do i...

Justify text vertically
How do I justify text vertically within a placeholder? PPT 2002 "Moose907" <Moose907@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E2C8D2F6-A785-4FF8-B297-E4108996BF26@microsoft.com... > How do I justify text vertically within a placeholder? PPT 2002 Don't have 2002 installed on this machine but I think it is the same for 2003. If you mean to place it in the center (top to bottom) right click on the placeholder and then click Text box tab. In that tab you should see "Text Anchor Point:" then click on the dropdown and choose either top...

edit number in cell without it changing to text
I recently upgraded from Office 97 to Office 2000. In a worksheet I was previously able to hit F2 to edit a number, hit the + or - to add or subtract from the original number. The revised total would show when I hit enter. Now the number changes to text and shows as 1+1 instead of 2. There needs to be an equal sign preceeding the 1+1. After hitting F2, hit the home key to put the curson on the left of the existing number value in the cell then enter "=1+" so you end up with "=1+1" (e.g.). - Will "rklremote" wrote: > I recently upgraded from Office 9...

find text characters
am trying to have a formula to return a value if the number of text characters in another cell is more than 3 thanks Hi! Try something like this: =IF(AND(ISTEXT(A1),LEN(A1)>3),"Yes","No") Biff "Micayla Bergen" <MicaylaBergen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:52C88B59-BFF6-47A6-82DD-60FB0F5E23B6@microsoft.com... > am trying to have a formula to return a value if the number of text > characters in another cell is more than 3 > thanks ...

text box in report is truncating memo field at 255 characters
I've got a text box in a report that has a memo field as the control source. I also have the Can Grow property of that control set to "Yes," but it truncates the data in that field to a maximum of 255 characters. How can I get this text box to display all the characters in the memo field when the report prints? Thanks in advance, Paul This question gets asked quite often. Did you check the record source query to make sure it displays more than 255 characters? This would be caused by phrases in your record source query like: GROUP BY, UNION, or DISTINCT. ...

Text box default value
I wish to establish a new default value for a text box - based on what the user entered. How I do that in VBA? <identification of default default value entry> = <whatever the user entered> I can handle the second part, but.... "news2@rgcle.com" <news2@rgcle.com> wrote in message <L62dnWMjTYBXj7zbnZ2dnUVZ_s2vnZ2d@comcast.com>: > I wish to establish a new default value for a text box - based on > what the user entered. How I do that in VBA? > > <identification of default default value entry> = <whatever the user > entered> > &g...

Commas and other separator characters in Custom Text Fields
I am working on a proposal. This means an individual can be responsible for several paragraphs in the statement of work (SOW). I pasted SOW paragraph numbers separated by commas into a text field. No problem. Here is the text I want to paste: 3.2.7, 3.2.7.1, 3.2.7.1.1, 3.2.7.1.2, 3.2.7.2, 3.2.7.2.1, 3.7.2.2.2 However, when I made the text field a Custom Field, Project 2007 stripped off everything after the first comma. Is there any way to make this work in a custom field? Thanks in advance. The text from your post pasted perfectly to Project 2007 for me in the Tex...

macro that finds text and keeps only part of it
I have a spreadsheet that I'm trying to run a seach on to find a specific sting of test. I can run the search but, now I want to ake it one step further. Is it possible to search for a sting of text and then delete part of the sting and leave some of the text? Then is it possible to do this a macro? Thanks for the help. Find and replace won't work? ************ Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com "john mcmichael" <johnmcmichael@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E213CDBC-571B-4CCB-B925-FD95F4DF0CD9@microsoft.com... >I have a spreadsheet that I...

Re: Formating text of x-axix value
Sorry, I pasted the wrong link! http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ScientificNotation.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ "Jon Peltier" <jonxlmvpNO@SPAMpeltiertech.com> wrote in message news:... > Here is another option: > > http://www.statit.com/support/top_issues/microsoft/commands/gpaynter.htm > > - Jon > ------- > Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP > Peltier Technical Services > Tutorials and Custom Solutions > http://PeltierTech.com/ ...

Why can't I re-import a registry file created by RegSaveKey(...) under Win 9x?
Hello: I was trying to save a registry key to a file say, "mykey" with help of RegSaveKey(...) [not RegSaveKeyEx(...)]. The file can be re-imported with "Regedit" under WinXP if it is produced under Win XP. But for the same program running under Win 98/95, the files created under these OSs cannot be re-imported. These files cannot be re-imported under WinXP. Can anyone tell me why? The exerpted code is listed below: .... char szSubKey[_MAX_FNAME]; char FileName[_MAX_FNAME]; long rc = 0; HKEY hKey; sprintf(szSubKey, "Software\Mykey"); sprintf(FileName,...

Text list to graph
Hi: I have a column listing car makes in random order with duplicates: Mazda Honda Honda Toyota Chevy Mazda... etc. QUESTION: How can I create a chart from this list? I've tried sorting, then sub-totaling. Am I on the right track? Thanks, Mark Flynn You can summarize the data with a Pivot Table, and create a chart from that. Add a heading to the list, e.g. Cars Select a cell in the table. Choose Data>PivotTable and PivotChart Report Select PivotChart report (with PivotTable report), click Next Select the Data range, click Next Click Layout Drag the Cars button to the Row area Dr...

Changing text automatically
After typing in AUGUST 2004 my text automatically changes to Aug-04. Is there something in Excel which prohibits typing the ful month? Any help gratefully received -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Have you tried to right click the cell and click format cell. Then select Date and on the right side box select the format you want? >-----Original Message----- >After typing in AUGUST 2004 my text automatically changes to >Aug-04. Is there something in Excel which prohibits typing the full >month? Any help gratefully received. > > >--- >Message posted ...

separate file attachment from text body
Hi All, One of my users running outlook 2007 replies to a recipient; upon attaching a file, the attachment shows up in the text body. I notice this when replying to messages vs. starting new ones. Any thoughts or help would be much appreciated. Thank you. -mike Check their format. Rich Text usually does this. Plain text and HTML insert the attachment into it's own field. -- Kathleen Orland - MVP Outlook Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ http://www.howto-outlook.com/ "Mike" wrote: > Hi All, > > One of my users running outlook 2007 replies to a ...

Text moves on saving
Using Publisher 2002, when I save a document of several pages, approximately an inch or so of text jumps from one page to the next page in linked text boxes. When I go back to the previous page, text usually reverts to the proper place. Sometimes, I have to delete a blank line to make the text come back, then later I will have to put that line back in. When I save again, text jumps again. Hi Jan (anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com), in the newsgroups you posted: || Using Publisher 2002, when I save a document of several || pages, approximately an inch or so of text jumps from one || ...

Toolbar button without bitmap only text
Hello All I want to display only text in the tool bar buttons without bitmap how shall i do that Thanks in advace Faisal Try the following to your toolbar object: SendMessage(TB_SETIMAGELIST, 0, NULL); -- Ajay Kalra [MVP - VC++] ajaykalra@yahoo.com "Faisal Masoor" <fmansoor@softpak.com> wrote in message news:uOstAT7TEHA.2464@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Hello All > > I want to display only text in the tool bar buttons without bitmap how shall > i do that > > Thanks in advace > Faisal > > Thanks Ajay But it didn't worked any more ideas Fa...

Bold text appears in print preview but does not print bold
I am working on a menu in Publisher. In print preview, all text in bold appears bold, but when I actually print, portions of the bold text does not print in bold. This problem applies to all text within specific text boxes. For some text boxes the bold prints and for some it doesn't. Any suggestions would be enormously appreciated. What version Publisher? Don't know if that makes a difference however. If you look in the font directory in the control panel you will see a separate font for bold, italic, condensed and so on for fonts like Times New Roman and Arial. If you use ...

Hey, why noone can't answer to my question regarding dowing text vertically ?!
Am I asking something that is hard? I have a real problem drawing text vertically, it looks sharp even if I use some lgQuality flags. If I draw using the same font horizontally the text looks just fine! Have I got some pitfall or I just don't know something? Please, help me to sort it out. German Koninin German Koninin wrote: > Am I asking something that is hard? I have a real problem drawing text > vertically, it looks sharp even if I use some lgQuality flags. If I > draw using the same font horizontally the text looks just fine! Have > I got some pitfall or I just don...