Ranking TEXT in Excel

Can someone help me with this?

Is there any way to rank TEXT in Excel. I want to automat
alphebetizing a column of text (I don't want to Data-Sort, etc). Th
function RANK seems to only work with numeric data.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Aryeh Bak
AryehJBak@yahoo.co

what does your column of text look like? post a snippet

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software
"AryehBak" <AryehBak.x1rtb@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message

> Can someone help me with this?
>
> Is there any way to rank TEXT in Excel. I want to automate
> alphebetizing a column of text (I don't want to Data-Sort, etc). The
> function RANK seems to only work with numeric data.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thank you,
> Aryeh Bak
> AryehJBak@yahoo.com

Don
11/17/2003 5:06:07 PM
also asked in general

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software
donaldb@281.com
"AryehBak" <AryehBak.x1rtb@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message

> Can someone help me with this?
>
> Is there any way to rank TEXT in Excel. I want to automate
> alphebetizing a column of text (I don't want to Data-Sort, etc). The
> function RANK seems to only work with numeric data.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thank you,
> Aryeh Bak
> AryehJBak@yahoo.com

Don

Text Boxes #2
Hello, Is it possible to rotate a text box at 45 degrees? Thanks. Bill Bill, The rotate tool was taken away from us; most shapes now have a rotate handle. Except the lowly text box. You can add text to a rectangle instead, and rotate it with its rotate handle. But the text won't rotate. You can make a text box in PowerPoint, rotate it, and the text will rotate. But if you paste that into Excel, it ain't rotated any more. ): A couple of distant relative solutions: Use a WordArt (Drawing toolbar) object. Rotatable. Or put your stuff into a cell, and rotate it with Format -...

Rank within Categories
I am trying to work out a way to rank within categories. Column E has different categories. Column i has the data. Column am working on i want to give the ranking where each data point falls within its own category. i have tried to hash something out but am stuck...here is my feeble attempt =IF($E5="SE",IF($E$5:$E$40="SE",IF(I5>0,RANK(I5,$I$5:$I$40,0),"N/ A"), ...... ..... signfies a string of IFs. the Next one being IF($E5="C".... I have also tried an array.....that doesnt seem to work =IF(OR(E6={"C","SE","NE","...

How to select text, e.g. simulate the text copied with ctrl-a on a webbrowser control in C#? I tried this and it always returns null for range.Text private void Form1_Load(object sende
How to select text, e.g. simulate the text copied with ctrl-a on a webbrowser control in C#? I tried this and it always returns null for range.Text private void Form1_Load(object sender, EventArgs e) { webBrowser1.Navigate("http://www.google.com/"); } private void button1_Click(object sender, EventArgs e) { IHTMLDocument2 htmlDocument = webBrowser1.Document.DomDocument as IHTMLDocument2; IHTMLSelectionObject currentSelection = htmlDocument.selection; if (currentSelection != nul...

emotions <->text in richedit
I am writing a richedit based chatbox, and I planned to add emotion support. I want replace the text in given templates(such as [:)]) to emotion pictures(read from files in given directory) during typing, and replace it back when I need actual text. I think I can insert files as objects to richedit, and replace objects with text when needed. But I don't know How to do it. Any suggestion? You can use IRichEditOle interface for doing this. Use GetRichEditOle( ) to get an interface pointer, and call InsertObject( ) method. Cheers Jagadeesh "jiangsheng(MSMVP)" <sheng_jiang@...

How do I automatically change text
I would like to automatically change the text in a series of cells. For example the value currently shown in the cell is " 00/05-05-097-5W5/00 ". How would I remove the 00/ & /00, so the cell would show " 05-05-097-5W5 "? I hope this is not too confusing. Thanks Monty Search and replace? Search for 00/ and replace with <space>, ditto for /00 On 15 Mar 2005 21:39:09 -0800, mleeds@hitechfluid.com (Monty) wrote: >I would like to automatically change the text in a series of cells. >For example the value currently shown in the cell is " >00/05-0...

convert text to formula using VLookup
My question; I've seen somewhere that you can convert a text string into a formula using the INDIRECT Function. What I am constructing is a maintenance Schedule where some items need to be serviced on a weekly basis, others monthly, quarterly, bi-annually, and yearly. (Those are the only five rotations I require at the moment.) Once constructed the format will take on the appearance of a calendar with conditional formatting to highlight the dates the service falls on. Each of the rotations require (I think) different formulas, so what I want to do is have a list of the f...

Excel 2007 Custom Formatting using [ColorXX]
I like to use custom cell formatting for simple cell coloring of positive and negative numbers (leaving conditional formatting for more intensive tasks). In Excel 2003 you could use [ColorXX], where XX is a number corresponding to a color in the color palette of the active workbook. Determining what number resulted in a specific color was straight forward as it matched the layout of the color palette. In Excel 2007 I can't seem to determine how the number used corresponds to a color palette somewhere. An example of a format string I'm using is: _(* #,##0.00_);[Color25]_(* (#,#...

publisher 2003, email, background ruins text...
Hi I create a publication, file, send email, this page as message and the text is very poor, seems to convert it into a picture. Is it the font (using arial)? would a better font work or is this what is expected ? TIA ...

V lookup in Excel 2003
Hello, I have recently installed fresh copy of Office 2003, where I am unable to find Vlookup function, (I couldnt see it in pop up also while I click on fx sign too....) Please help me on this issue as soon as possible, as heaps of work is pending on my desk due to that. Mail me at baroda@outsourcingindiainc.com Thanks What happens if you just try using the function by typing it in? -- Regards Ken....................... Microsoft MVP - Excel Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03 -------------------------------------------------------------------------...

File compatability problems with Pocket Excel
I recently set up a client with an HP IPAQ PC5500 with pocket windows 2003. She had a number of spreadsheets that she wanted to use on the handheld which we copied across OK (using activesync, they were converted to ..PXL). However only about 3/4 of them would open. The ones that wouldn't simply gave an error box that said: "An error occurred while opening '<filename>'. They have no macros; they had been created in Excel 2000. All of the files in question are under 100k. I have also tried the following with no success: - copied the contents of each sheet to a new she...

text rotation
I develop a fingerprint application on pocket pc and I need to display message during the capture process. So for now I use an edit box but I would like to make a rotation of 180 � to make the message readable by the people whom I capture the fingerprint. Should I just make a rotation of the graphic display, I mean just of the edit box area or is there any other mean ? Didn't you post this a week ago!!! Here are the answers from the last post you had You won't be able to do this with an edit control, but you can do it with a static control. Dervie a class from a CStatic class, ta...

sorting columns with more than 2 text entries
Data>Text to Columns>Next works well if all entries have a "single" first and last name, eg, "Joe Smith". However, if there is a "Mary Joe Smith" listed, how do I put only the last text entry into a new column? I am downloading payment information from a PayPal account and want to sort by last name for our lunches. Unfortunatley the "name" information (first, last, etc...) is contained in a single cell. -- JAB Hi JAB! Use this formula to extract the 1st name in cell A1: =LEFT(A1,FIND(" ",A1,1)) Use this formula to extract the l...

Opening files in Excel 2007
Since I installed Excel 2007, I no longer get file details when I use the "open file" command on the tool bar. Can I get the file details as an option, or do I have to use "Explore"? -- Milt In the File Open dialog on the top line far right is an icon marked "View". (I am looking at my PC which run XL2007 under Windows XP as the Vista machine is asleep) Click this to get a dropdown menu and select Details. Now you will see file size and date best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "Mil...

How do I prevent Excel from replacing path in hyperlink when saved
I´ve created a hyperlink in a cell using the Insert Hyperlink option. I'm using the path (F:\myfile.txt). When I save the document, the hyperlink changes to (\\MyServer\MyPath\myfile.txt). Is it possible to prevent this, because if the servername is changed in the future the link won't work Regards Rico Use the =HYPERLINK() function: =HYPERLINK("F:\myfile.txt","myfile") -- Gary''s Student - gsnu200810 "Rico B. Raben" wrote: > I´ve created a hyperlink in a cell using the Insert Hyperlink option. I'm > using the path (...

Excel XP Format Cells, currency not working first time
I'm noticing that when I format cells for currency the first time, the preview window not only shows only numeric format, it formats the cells numeric instead of currency. The second time it works. And it's not because I'm clicking on the wrong line. ...

Sections of Text Being Marked as Figures
When I add and position images in a Word 2007 document, it will (apparently randomly) decide that some sections of text are figures. They can be edited as usual, but this messes up the automatic figure numbering in image captions. If the document has an automatically updating field for the figures, it will insert the whole body of text that it thinks is a figure into the table (this is sometimes several paragraphs). Deleting and re-typing the text does not seem to help (this can also be very time-consuming to re-type several sections that add up to a few pages in larger docu...

Text vs. Number
Why is is that if I have a tab-deliminated file or csv file that I open in excel the following happens: If the field has twelve digits (a UPC code) -- say 068888701648 -- that when it gets into the Excel spreadsheet is drops the front zero and calls it a number. I don't want that to happen. Also when I export to a csv file I want the field to be a text field -- "068888701648" -- as opposed to a number. This is the reason. What I've been doing up to this point is creating a custom format -- 000000000000 -- twelve digits. Most UPC codes have a zero at...

Formula/Macro to tally up numbers in Excel
I have a list of numbers in a column, e.g. :- 1 4 6 1 35 14 15 15 2 1 6 6 1 19 15 5 and want the computer to work out for me, how many times number x has turned up in column B? I presume this is possible with a function/macro within excel fairly easily? Any advice/pointers in the right direction would be appreciated. Please prefably reply in the newsgroup, or via email to "newshelp@the-core.freeserve.co.uk.DELETE", removing the .DELETE from the end of my address. Thanks, Mark Pyne Hi Have a look at COUNTIF() and try something like: =COUNTIF(B:B,1) to count how many 1s there ...

List a ranking
I'm a newbie at this, so help is appreciated. I have an Excel sheet like this: Team A .600 =rank(b1,b1:b3) Team B .750 =rank(b2,b1:b3) Team C .300 =rank(b3,b1:b3) I want to get another cell to list how far they are from the #1 rank. So, cell d1 should be equal to .150 and d3 equal to .450. The percentages will change frequently, so it needs to figure out what is #1. I know I could just do =b2-b1 and b2-b3, but only because I can see the b2 is the highest percentage. Am I making sense? Is there a way to do this? TIA. BR =MAX($B$1:$B$3)-B1 etc. -- HTH RP ...

converting column of text to text box for repetitive records
Hi, I have a spreadsheet which contains employee information including job skills. My problem is that each skill (cook,candlemaker, etc.)creates a new row for that employee, duplicating fields that don't change, name, ss#,etc with the only new info in the row being the skill Like this: Jane doe,123456789,555-555-5555,cook Jane doe,123456789,555-555-5555,candlemaker What I want is 1 row for each employee with the last column containing all the skills in a text box or separated by commas. Is there an easy way to do this in Excel? Or even Access? Thanks, Clark --- Outgoing mail is certifie...

excel 2003 tutorial
Hello, Is there any free web page that train excel 2003 with pictures, not lots of wording. I am also looking for some class lab kind of sections to practice what I learned. Thanks, Jim. This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0015_01C4B9EC.7CA1B790 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="Utf-8" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hi Jim, I don't think you are going to get very far on pictures alone. You might look at Debra's site http://www.contextures.com it has more pictures than most, but relies on wording like the others. If this ...

Linked Text file
I need to relink to a text file on a share drive, but I want to link according to the data path value instead of the share drive letter. Ex: //cdf888/example Instead of c:/example Any idea on how I can do this. Thanks Using network neighborhood, you should be able to use UNC (Universal Naming Convention) to map to a network share. \\ComputerName\ShareName\OptionalFolderName\FileName.mdb Access will recognize this and continue to open the file. -- Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP http://www.datastrat.com http://www.mvps.org/access http://www.accessmvp.com "Database Girl" <DatabaseG...

Excel 2007 Display Issues
Hello everyone. I have a issue with data displaying in Excel. I work for a company that has been updating from Office 2000 to 2007. When people click a workbook that has been made to a desktop shortcut they have to minimize the workbook to get data to display. My computer does not do it because I did not ever have 2000 on mine I went straight to 2007. Any idea on how to fix this? ...

EXCEL functions within VBA code
Hi all Is it OK to include excell functions into VBA code ? Thanks EC Hi EC It depends on how you consider "OK". See http://newtonexcelbach.wordpress.com/2008/05/24/worksheetfunction-vs-udf-2/ for a discussion on performance. Also the Excel team blog http://blogs.msdn.com/excel/archive/2009/03/12/excel-vba-performance-coding-best-practices.aspx HTH. Best wishes Harald "RealInfo" <therightinfo@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:gpq6qg$i6g$1@localhost.localdomain... > Hi all > > Is it OK to include excell functions into VBA code ? > > Thanks > ...

Can you recommend a good text search utility? (for WindowsXP, esp for Office2003)
WindowsXP Pro msOffice 2003 Xara Xtreme Pro MindManager FreeMind ....} all latest versions Hi Can anyone recommend a utility for searching my local WindowsXP PC? I need to do text searching across msOffice2003 files (e.g. Outlook, Excel, Word). (Optionally, I would IDEALLY also like to be able to search files from: Xara Xtreme Pro, Mindjet's MindManager, FreeMind, plus HTML, PDF files... but this is not a deal breaker.) I have tried - WindowXP's search ==> horrible. I have uninstalled it and use the previous version - which is very slow but more accurate....