random text displaying

what i want to do is create a way to make a schedule randomly. i want t
put in all possible shifts in a worksheet, then somehow be able t
bring them up at random with the rand function and give the shifts t
people who are available to work them. i'm not sure if i will be abl
to do this solely with excel, or if i will need to use other tools a
well. any help would be appreciate

You have the right idea -- use the =RAND() function. Put this function down a column, then sort your rows by it. The first x rows are what you can use as your sample.

     ----- FragileRock wrote: -----

     what i want to do is create a way to make a schedule randomly. i want to
     put in all possible shifts in a worksheet, then somehow be able to
     bring them up at random with the rand function and give the shifts to
     people who are available to work them. i'm not sure if i will be able
     to do this solely with excel, or if i will need to use other tools as
     well. any help would be appreciated

anonymous (74719)
11/20/2003 2:11:12 AM
Hi FragileRock,

The only thing that I can think of is something like this:

you setup your roster so that it's complete, and just requires the
employees' names who are going to be working the particular shift.  So, it
would like something like this:

Column A = blank
Column B = blank
Column C = day of the week (eg Monday)
Column D = start time (eg 0900)
Column E = finish time (eg 12 noon, although it could just as easily be the
start time + 8 hours or similar depending on shift length)

Elsewhere, probably on a separate sheet, type in the list of all employee
names and a number against each:

Column A        Column B
1        katherine Coombs
2        FrgaileRock
..
..
..
20        superman

reflect how ever many employees you have, as per the list on the other
Sheet).  In Column B create a vlookup that looks up the employee name from
the second sheet based on the random number that was returned in Column A.

Does this come close to what you're after?

Katherine

"FragileRock" <FragileRock.x5zny@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message

> what i want to do is create a way to make a schedule randomly. i want to
> put in all possible shifts in a worksheet, then somehow be able to
> bring them up at random with the rand function and give the shifts to
> people who are available to work them. i'm not sure if i will be able
> to do this solely with excel, or if i will need to use other tools as
> well. any help would be appreciated

Linking Large Text Database to Excel
PROBLEM I am trying to find a way to decrease the file size of a document where I currently import data from text documents (which I have to convert to Excel format through a Tab Delimited conversion). Currently the file is around 20M and will most likely be shared and is a process that will be repeated every 3 months. I am totally ignorant when it come to working outside Excel (and my Macro skills are sub par :) Below is a background of the issue and with my current setup to give context to my problem. BACKGROUND The information comes from Bank Call Reports which I can downloa...

Counting specific text in two columns.
I have two columns (a and B) which contain the following:- Column A:- Not_Chased, Regret, Stockist, Ordered, Chased, Pending, Lost, Opp_Log Column B:- List of countries (e.g. China, U.K. Netherlands, Germany, Spain, Italy, Czech). I would like to produce a matrix as following showing say Not-Chased for all the individual countries, Regret for all countries, Stockist for all countries… (see below) China Czech France Germany India Grand Totals LOST Not_Chased OPP_LOG ORDERED PENDING REGRET STOCKIST ...

Moving a Text Box on a page
I am starting my third newsletter. Most pages have two text boxes side by side equidistance from the borders with a space in the middle between the two columns. This time I can't seem to use the up/down/left/right arrows to move my text boxes where I want to place them. Selecting the text box & dragging it is not satisfactory as the range is too large. The little vertical circles (top one green) connected by a vertical line are displayed when I click/select the text box I wish to move. But the text box won't move when I select the arrow keys. What am I doing wrong or no...

Random
How to get random numbers random(0xff) ? int RandomNumber = (rand() * 0xff) / RAND_MAX; -- Bjarne Nielsen "]GHO[" <yousefk@taux01.nsc.com> skrev i en meddelelse news:0b6a01c3a84c$5733a890$a501280a@phx.gbl... > How to get random numbers random(0xff) ? rnd()%0x100; or rnd() & 0xff; Ruben On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 04:07:13 -0800, "]GHO[" <yousefk@taux01.nsc.com> wrote: >How to get random numbers random(0xff) ? ...

greyed out auto text
Created custom toolbar in Word with menu, autotext and email button as directed in "Quick sales letters for e-mail" demo video, but when I click email button, new email message appears in Outlook but auto text choices are greyed out???? Any ideas?? ...

display a letter in a chart
hey there, i have a price series chart and i'm trying to dislay letters in it. eg: i have a column with a formula that returns either B for buy or S for short. is there a wa to have this Bs and Ss appearing on the chart right nex to my price series? thanks in adv. MA On Fri, 6 Jul 2007, in microsoft.public.excel.charting, ALVESM <ALVESM@discussions.microsoft.com> said: >i have a price series chart and i'm trying to dislay letters in it. eg: i >have a column with a formula that returns either B for buy or S for short. >is there a wa to have this Bs and Ss appearing o...

Random Numbers not Random
When I create random numbers for an application with the following code, they do not appear to be truely random. Me.RandomNumber = Int(9 * Rnd + 1) ' Random Number 1-9 If I have two users setting side by side, they frequently get the same results when they start up Am I missing somthing? Any help would be appreciated -- Frank Wagner fwagner111@aol.com Frank, Have you tried a Randomize statement just before the RND? That should do it. -- hth Al Campagna Microsoft Access MVP http://home.comcast.net/~cccsolutions/index.html "Find a job tha...

connect bindingSource to text object.
Hello. What is wrong of the following (the text has no data)? : Dim FBndDataTable As DataTable Dim FBndDataSource As BindingSource .... FBndDataSource = New BindingSource FBndDataSource.DataSource = DataTable .... Dim drv As DataRowView Dim dr As DataRow drv = FBndDataSource.AddNew() dr = drv.Row .... ' txtValue is TextBox. txtValue.DataBindings.Add("Text", bs, "query_id") Thanks :) Sorry. I shall try again : What is wrong of the following (the textBox has no data)? : Dim FBndDataTabl...

find text and copy selected rows from text and loop
Hi I'm need your expert help. In a worksheet I need to find the word "Filename" in column B, then cut rows until the next "Filename" word. I need this looping to start from the 2nd "Filename" word. Upon highlighting rows I need to cut selected rows and add this to a new worksheet. This needs to be done until all "Filename" words have been searched. I'm hoping this makes senses and that someone out there can help me. Many thanks Frederic Hi, Put this in a 'General' module and run it. It assumes the source data ...

Leading zeros with text #3
Hi, I need help on specifying the maximum length of characters contained in a cell. Additionally, once the length is specified, I need the data contained in the cell to fill the maximum allowable characters for the cell with leading zeros if the data does not satisfy the maximum length. i.e. if I have a name such as gray in a cell and the cell is only allowed to be 13 characters long, how do I get a return of 000000000gray If it's just a matter of formatting to look that way, go to cells, format, number, custom, '0000000000000' "ginzbeez" wrote: > Hi, > ...

Exchange server randomly asking random users to Authenticate randomly...
Has anyone had a problem like this where a user is in their Exchange mailbox using Outlook 2003 and the server prompts them for their credentials? If they hit cancel and exit out of Outlook and run it again it lets them into their mailbox. Thank you, Benjamin Pls make sure the outlook 2003 Client does not using Cache mode If is ,pls clearn this option -- Jammy "Benjamin Chan" <bchan[pleasenospam]@controlproductsinc.com> ���g��l��s�D :#BxdizrtEHA.3972@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl... > Has anyone had a problem like this where a user is in their Exchange mailbox > using Outlo...

Problem opening text file...
Hello, i have a simple macro that pulling in a text file: Public Function Import_FND_GFM_BV(DataPathName, TemplateBook) Application.StatusBar = "Importing fnd_gfm-BV.tsv..." ChDir DataPathName 'Open BV.txt Workbooks.OpenText Filename:="fnd_gfm-BV.tsv" _ , Origin:=437, StartRow:=1, DataType:=xlDelimited, TextQualifier:= _ xlDoubleQuote, ConsecutiveDelimiter:=False, Tab:=True, Semicolon:=False, _ Comma:=False, Space:=False, Other:=False, FieldInfo:=Array (Array(1, 1), _ Array(2, 1), Array(3, 1), Array(4, 1), Array(5, 1)...

how could i capture the event when my computer switch display device?
laptop could redirect the display output to another device by pressing Fn + special key, how could i know this happened? i have searched msdn for sometime, hanvn't found any window message related. does anyone know ? "thinktwice" <memorialday@gmail.com> wrote in message news:ea3d8cfa-2c80-445f-899e-630ec0bd9239@a8g2000prf.googlegroups.com... > laptop could redirect the display output to another device by pressing > Fn + special key, how could i know this happened? i have searched msdn > for sometime, hanvn't found any window message related. does anyone > ...

Unlimited text in text boxes
Please could someone help? I have created a database using access 2003. The database lists local groups and has various types of respone. One of the responses requires them to write a paragraph about the group, however when I try to tyoe that in to the text box on the form, the box will only let me type in a limited amount of text, (approximately 10 words). How do I change the text box so that it has no limit on the amount of text that can been typed in to it? Thanks Sarah Thanks for that Jeff, I'm probably being very thikc here, but how do I check the size, I looked in propertie...

Generating Correlated Random Values in Excel
Hi Mike, Thanks so much for your advice. I think that I have it figured out, but can you confirm this for me? I can't afford to screw this up. If mean(inflation) = .031 stdev(inflation) = .047 mean(stock return) = .106 stdev(stock return) = .204 Column Headers: A B C D 1 Z1 Z2 Inflation Stock Return Data Generation Formulas A2 =NORMINV(RAND(),0,1) B2 =NORMINV(RAND(),0,1) C2 =0.031+0.047*A2 D2 =0.106+0.204*(A2*rho+B2*(1-rho^2)^0.5) Are these formulas correct to generate the random data? Particularly cell D2. Does this give me a complete value that t...

random pages
I have developed pages that randomly define a set of normal lung function data based on gender, age and height. I have applied formulas to this data simulate 5 classic lung function abnormalities (normal, restrictive, obstructive, mixed and early obstructive.) Currently the sheets that define the abnormal are named by one of the above lung abnormalities. I would like to present data from random pages in a work book to students and rather than have the pages named by the abnormality be named a simulated patient name. My questions. Can I have the name of a sheet set to equal data from to ...

Random Distribution
I need to randomly order numbers from a list or range of consecutive whole numbers, such that each number is listed only once. Can this be done in excel using functions, formulas or whatever? I want to incorporate it into a spreadsheet with a macro to automatically generate the list and use it to randomly designate selected entries. "Rick via OfficeKB.com" wrote: > I need to randomly order numbers from a list or range of consecutive whole > numbers, such that each number is listed only once. Can this be done in > excel using functions, formulas or whatever? I want to...

Find and Display
Hi All, I have 12 sheets with several columns of data. I want to search for an item in column A starting from First sheet and if the item found then display in a message box or in a new sheet the data label(for column A,C,F,K,L) and corresponding data (for selected fields) or proceed to the next sheet until the item is found. the data never get repeated (In column A)so there would be only one instance of the data in column A. How could i get this by a macro? TIA Soniya hi, http://www.bmsltd.ie/MVP/ go to this site. they have a free download utility called flexfind. it is an add-in...

How do you shrink a text box keeping font sizes relative to origin
I am trying to shrink text boxes in Publisher, keeping all the different font sizes in those text boxes relative....meaning keeping larger fonts larger and smaller fonts smaller, but shrinking each font relative as I shrink the text box.........help! Format, Auotfit text, shrink text on overflow. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "tworland" <tworland@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:ED698008-D7BF-42D7-8F1A-6C952919A744@microsoft.com... >I am trying to shrink text boxes in Publisher,...

Shortcut to copy text from 1 text box in a label to all labels?
When creating name tag labels, is there a shortcut to copy the text from one text box to the same text box in all labels in the document? Are you manually entering the names? Setup a data base (list in Publisher) with the names that are going to be on the tag and use mail merge. That way you only need to enter the text once. Help here for 2007: Create a mail merge http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/publisher/HP012330501033.aspx 2003 http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/publisher/CH010504371033.aspx -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "ddlou" <ddlou@discussions....

OWA - Page cannot be displayed
Hi everybody Do you receive the error message "Page cannot be displayed" when you try to connect to Outlook-Web-Access? Step 1 - use for example Firefox for a cross test Step 2 - if it's working now, go on Step 3 - log on your Exchange server Step 4 - open IIS -> Web Sites -> Default Web Site -> Exchange Step 5 - right click on "Properties" Step 6 - change to the tab "Directory Security" -> click "Edit" Step 7 - unmark "Integrated Windows authentication" This solution could have a security impact because the password is send ...

How to set a icons instead of a menu text?
Hello, I'm not quiet sure this can be done , but i would like for some reasons to set icons to describe my menus. Can this be done and how? Many thanks Breadl, It is possible to owner-draw menus, youmight want to check here: http://www.codeproject.com/menu/ and here: http://www.codeguru.com/Cpp/controls/menu/ for samples. Johan Rosengren Abstrakt Mekanik AB "Bredal Jensen" <Bredal.Jensen@mimosa.com> a �crit dans le message de news:%23hH2cnyxEHA.2540@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > > Hello, > I'm not quiet sure this can be done , but i would like for so...

How to Retrieve Random Records through webservice method
Hi All, I'm writing an application that retrieve records from CRM 3.0 automatically using the web service. My question is, is there any way we can retrieve records randomly by using any webservice method? Like we can use RAND() or NEWID() to achieve this in SQL. Please help me if you have any idea about it. My sample method code is given below: CrmService service = new CrmService(); RetrieveMultipleRequest request2 = new RetrieveMultipleRequest(); // Create the ConditionExpression object. ConditionExpression condition = new ConditionExpression...

Text bullets
How do you recommend adding text-only "bullets" to a document? I have a frequent need to create one or more styles that add a specific word to the start of a paragraph, such as special notices (Tip:, Caution:, Note:, Danger:, etc.) or other content (e.g., GAP: in a gap analysis report). It would be nice to include this in the paragraph style as a bullet so that its use is consistent. -- lcshrm See http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/QandA.htm (Word 2003 and earlier) or http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/QandA2007.htm, as appropriate. -- Suzanne S. Barnhill ...

zoom on RTF text
Hi all, I am currently developing a windowless textbox object using ITextServices. Everything went very well until performed zoom on text. In my code the RTF text is rendered using TxDraw, which calculates zoom factor as this: zoom factor = (pixel height of client rect)*2540/[Himetric vertical extent]*[pixel per vertical inch]. But the result wasn't really that good, the scaled text often went out of box, and word wrap wasn't consistent specially when it scaled below 60%(above 100% much better). Does anybody know what problems caused it? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks. jm H...