Question on saving a file.

Can you save a file in the same filename and still retain the earlier
revisions?   Someone accidently overwrote a file and should have kept the
earler versions.Is there something in Excel that I can turn on so my main
filename only changes with an extension, therefore keeping all my earlier
revisions? i.e. 'filenameX'.xls1 'filenameX'.xls2 so everytime I save it to
'filenameX', Excel is adding a new revision number automatically so I don't
loose revisions or accidentily wipe out good data.  Help!

Not that I am aware of.

If you want to keep earlier copies just give the later versions different
file names.

Thanks.

"Crissyb" wrote:

> Can you save a file in the same filename and still retain the earlier
> revisions?   Someone accidently overwrote a file and should have kept the
> earler versions.Is there something in Excel that I can turn on so my main
> filename only changes with an extension, therefore keeping all my earlier
> revisions? i.e. 'filenameX'.xls1 'filenameX'.xls2 so everytime I save it to
> 'filenameX', Excel is adding a new revision number automatically so I don't
> loose revisions or accidentily wipe out good data.  Help!
Go to tools, options, security and set your worksheet as a read-only.  When
they open it, they will be asked if they need to change it, or open as a read
only if they answer yes and do a save as, they will only be able to save as a
copy
--
Stacia

"Crissyb" wrote:

> Can you save a file in the same filename and still retain the earlier
> revisions?   Someone accidently overwrote a file and should have kept the
> earler versions.Is there something in Excel that I can turn on so my main
> filename only changes with an extension, therefore keeping all my earlier
> revisions? i.e. 'filenameX'.xls1 'filenameX'.xls2 so everytime I save it to
> 'filenameX', Excel is adding a new revision number automatically so I don't
> loose revisions or accidentily wipe out good data.  Help!
you can also try the following:

You can use AutoRecover to have Excel automatically save a backup copy each
time you save a workbook. The backup copy provides you with a previously
saved copy, so you have the current saved information in the original
workbook and the information saved prior to that in the backup copy. Each
time you save the workbook, a new backup copy replaces the existing backup
copy. Saving a backup copy can protect your work if you accidentally save
changes that you don't want to keep or delete the original file.

On the Tools menu, click Options.
On the Save tab, select the Save AutoRecover info every check box.
In the minutes box, type or select a number to specify the interval for how
often you want to save files.
The more frequently your files are saved, the more information is recovered
if there is a power failure or similar problem while a file is open.

--
Stacia

"stacia" wrote:

> Go to tools, options, security and set your worksheet as a read-only.  When
> they open it, they will be asked if they need to change it, or open as a read
> only if they answer yes and do a save as, they will only be able to save as a
> copy
> --
> Stacia
>

> "Crissyb" wrote:
>
> > Can you save a file in the same filename and still retain the earlier
> > revisions?   Someone accidently overwrote a file and should have kept the
> > earler versions.Is there something in Excel that I can turn on so my main
> > filename only changes with an extension, therefore keeping all my earlier
> > revisions? i.e. 'filenameX'.xls1 'filenameX'.xls2 so everytime I save it to
> > 'filenameX', Excel is adding a new revision number automatically so I don't
> > loose revisions or accidentily wipe out good data.  Help!
File/ Save As/ Tools/ General Options/ Always create backup
 will save a backup, so you will have one previous version, but the safest
bet is to save as a different file name each time.
--
David Biddulph

Crissyb wrote:
> Can you save a file in the same filename and still retain the earlier
> revisions?   Someone accidently overwrote a file and should have kept
> the earler versions.Is there something in Excel that I can turn on so
> my main filename only changes with an extension, therefore keeping
> all my earlier revisions? i.e. 'filenameX'.xls1 'filenameX'.xls2 so
> everytime I save it to 'filenameX', Excel is adding a new revision
> number automatically so I don't loose revisions or accidentily wipe
> out good data.  Help!

0
David
2/12/2010 6:24:37 PM
Stacia

You misunderstand what Autorecovery does.

It only makes temporary backups while working on a file.

When the file is closed without incident, the temporary backup is deleted.

See David's reply for how to make a backup when saving.

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 09:50:01 -0800, stacia <stacia.hintz@wisconsin.gov>
wrote:

>you can also try the following:
>
>You can use AutoRecover to have Excel automatically save a backup copy each
>time you save a workbook. The backup copy provides you with a previously
>saved copy, so you have the current saved information in the original
>workbook and the information saved prior to that in the backup copy. Each
>time you save the workbook, a new backup copy replaces the existing backup
>copy. Saving a backup copy can protect your work if you accidentally save
>changes that you don't want to keep or delete the original file.
>
>On the Tools menu, click Options.
>On the Save tab, select the Save AutoRecover info every check box.
>In the minutes box, type or select a number to specify the interval for how
>often you want to save files.
>The more frequently your files are saved, the more information is recovered
>if there is a power failure or similar problem while a file is open.

0
Gord

Please help finding my .xls files that have gone missing
Office97 - Excel97 - XP SP2 I did something to make my .xls files disappear. They're all there. I can see them with Explorer. I can send them to work and they're okay there. When I [now] try to open any .xls file I get "Windows cannot find 'C;\<path>\x.xls'. Make sure you typed etc...". Last night all was well - then I must have done something to corrupt Excel from starting up. I had been working full-screen then not full-screen. I had been toggling Options to for different effects. One was "Ignore other apps..." so that I could have side-by-side/al...

When I opened my file, random rows of information were deleted
Using Microsoft Project on Vista When I opened my project plan, random rows of information were deleted, including all associated information. There are now blank rows through parts of my project plan. I tried to then re enter the information, but after resaving same issue happened again! Deleted or just not showing? Make sure you do not have. any filters applied, or custom grouping. To show all tasks, I turn off the auto filters and then make sure the filter drop down says "All Tasks" and the Group By says "No Group" When P2007 first came out, the...

Saving sent e-mails
Is there a way to have Outlook ask if you want to save a sent e-mail and then direct you to where you want to save it? I find that I don't want to save every e-mail and the ones that I do save, I want them in a folder that makes sense. Now I have to review the sent folder, delete the junk and move the stuff that needs to be moved. I could save a lot of time if I could get Outlook to prompt whether I want to save an e-mail and where I want to save it to. At my previous employer, we used Lotus Notes and had that functionality. Thanks for your help! Linda I'm not sure whic...

Backup question

I want to save an Excel file in "Pipe Delimited" (instead of csv).
I want to save my Excel file as "Pipe Delimited" (instead of csv) or else, if csv, then all values from a column to be enclosed in double quotes and not just the ones which have a comma in their values. See www.cpearson.com/excel/imptext.htm for details and example code. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "J�Zee" <J�Zee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:846F5BD4-D8AF-41C6-B474-B788AEFF188D@microsoft.com... >I want to save my Excel file as "Pipe Delimited" (instead o...

a question and a question

Question about Paste Special

importing e-mail files from Outlook express
I just switched over from outlook express yesterday, and would now like to import my saved e-mail file folders to WLM. Will they show up in the WLM storage folders area? Will the file folder structure from OE be maintained ? And since OE did not differentiate between inbox and outbox, where will the go ? -- guenters Answered inline.. -- ...winston ms-mvp mail "guenters" <guenters@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E746AC3E-CD7B-48F9-B7CB-415F51E5907E@microsoft.com... > I just switched over from outlook express yesterday, and would now...

IE8 privacy question

IF AND question

Question

Damaged file? ("Not enough memory").
Greetings to the group. Since yesterday I cannot open a file that I used everyday, due to a "Not enough memory" error message. The problem is not on the computer but on that particular file, because I can open all the other files, while no other computer can open the damaged file. It is a 200 kb file, without links to other files nor graphics or dymanic objects or anything special. What has happened? Is there any way to recover it? Thanks in advance! Chip Pearson has some notes that you may want to read: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/StartupErrors.htm Maybe something will break...

Temp Files saved working in a Windows Network
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel When I save my office documents I worked on there is allways a second file saved which starts like ._ I suppose it is a temp file which is created from the autorecovery process. How can it be solved that these files will be deleted automatically? On 3/24/09 12:16 PM, in article 59b7045c.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw, "alieby@officeformac.com" <alieby@officeformac.com> wrote: > Version: 2008 > Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) > Processor: Intel > > When I save my office documents I ...

Microsoft Query question

Modified an existing PPT and saved, is it possible to go back?
I modified an existing presentation with the idea of keeping the format and saving with another name. Howevere, after modifying I inadvertedly saved... with the same name. So I have the new one on top of the old. But the original is gone. Is there any way I can recover the original. Thanks. Are you using Vista or Windows 7? -- john ATSIGN PPTAlchemy.co.uk Free PPT Hints, Tips and Tutorials http://www.pptalchemy.co.uk/powerpoint_hints_and_tips_tutorials.html "A.R." wrote: > I modified an existing presentation with the idea of keeping the format...

Managing PST Files #2
Does anybody here know of any tools to better manage PST files? I'm after somethaing that will graphicaly represent the usage of messages in a PST. Cheers, Lee ihatespam@ihatespam.com <ihatespam@ihatespam.com> wrote: > Does anybody here know of any tools to better manage PST files? > > I'm after somethaing that will graphicaly represent the usage of > messages in a PST. I've never seen any reports of a tool like that. However, if you want to contract with a company like MAPI Labs, I'd wager they could write one for you. It won't be free. -- Bri...

OWA Question #16

VBA//Oracle Interfacing Question

Open CSV file by double-click on explorer all data in one column
Hi, I have a Windows NT with Excel 97. I have a very simple csv file containing: 1;2;3 When I open this test.csv file from File->Open in Excel it renders the data in three different columns. If I open the file by double-clicking in explorer it launches Excel and the data if confined in the first column. It seems as if it doesn't do the same when opening in both ways. Any hint? What do you have for your windows list separator? Close excel windows start button|settings|control panel|Regional and language options Click the customize button Numbers Tab List separator Make sure it ma...

Text Box Question

401K questions

Can this VBA for work on text files be modified for a different job ?
I have been using the code below (which, from memory, came from the M-Soft site before I hashed it about) successfully to open 2 text files, appending the whole of one file to the end of the other, then deleting the source file. Now a new task is to; - update all text files in a specified folder by appending a new record. This is to be a daily routine, and there should end up being about 800 to 1000 text files to be updated. - The information for the record that is appended to each file comes from a single text file each day (source file). - The first column of this 'source file' ho...

If / Then Question

ROWCOUNT question