Question: Cell formula or macro to write result of one cell to another cell

Excel-97 (SR-2)

This is a long term problem that I have with Excel.

I mostly write worksheet applications that have plenty of
user-configurable parameters up front. This is fine for interactive
work and what-if scenarios.

However many of these turn into situations where I then want to scan
through parameters where it would be nice to insert new values into
the parameter cells under program control (either via a worksheet
cell, or using a macro).

There are far simpler cases over and above this that could benefit
from this too.

So is there an implementation of

	[G15] = Assign( H15, A15)  // H15 = Content of A15   ?

The point being that I don't want

	[A15] = H15

for reasons that several donor cells could write into A15 (I know this
raises the issue of precedence, but there could be a simple resolution
for this based on donor cell position).

TIA,
Fred.
0
fdr1 (10)

Hard to understand what you want, but if you want A15 to tell the function
where to get the value for the argument

[A15]    holds the string  "B30:B40"  (no quotes)

=Sum(Indirect(A15))
would sum the values found in B30:B40.

Perhaps that is what you are referring to.

Regards,
Tom Ogilvy

"Frederik Romanov" <fdr@regus.mailshell.com> wrote in message
> Excel-97 (SR-2)
>
> This is a long term problem that I have with Excel.
>
> I mostly write worksheet applications that have plenty of
> user-configurable parameters up front. This is fine for interactive
> work and what-if scenarios.
>
> However many of these turn into situations where I then want to scan
> through parameters where it would be nice to insert new values into
> the parameter cells under program control (either via a worksheet
> cell, or using a macro).
>
> There are far simpler cases over and above this that could benefit
> from this too.
>
> So is there an implementation of
>
> [G15] = Assign( H15, A15)  // H15 = Content of A15   ?
>
> The point being that I don't want
>
> [A15] = H15
>
> for reasons that several donor cells could write into A15 (I know this
> raises the issue of precedence, but there could be a simple resolution
> for this based on donor cell position).
>
> TIA,
> Fred.

0
twogilvy (1078)

Date Formula
I am using Access 2003 I created a preventative maintenance (pm) database that requires the operator to enter the date when a pm operation is completed. The operators doing this are not typist and I am finding a lot of error with date data entry. Such as reversing month and day or putting in the wrong year. For example: when the date should have been 2/4/08 - the employee is typing 4/2/08 or putting in the wrong year. This date is an important field as future operations are keyed off of this date. I want to make the date field limited to "NO date that is greater then today&qu...

Multiple choices for a cell
I am creating a worksheet which deals with employee or job candidates qualifications. Each cell will hold the various details pertaining to a person's qualifications. Different people have different degrees. This will be all stored in a single cell and separated by a comma. Is it possible to create some sort of custom or drop down box which contains controls or check boxes so as to create a standardised list of qualifications the data entry clerk can choose from? For example, i would like a cell to have a drop down box, which is a field that displays the qualifications a particular gra...

Backup question

combine cells #2
I have NPA (225) in a cell B3 I have NXX (442) in the next cell B4 I want to combine the two cells into one cell 225-442 Is there a function that will accomplish this? I have a ton of numbers to do! thanks will this work? =b3&"-"&b4 "Ray" <ray.aubin@bellsouth.com> wrote in message news:0a5e01c391cb$d985d080$a101280a@phx.gbl... > I have NPA (225) in a cell B3 > I have NXX (442) in the next cell B4 > I want to combine the two cells into one cell 225-442 > Is there a function that will accomplish this? I have a > ton of numbers to do! > &g...

a question and a question

The content of my cells (formulas) isn't updated automatically any
Hi, When I enter '=A1' in B1, and I change the value of A1, the content of B1 isn't updated anymore. I think the formulas stopped working after installing Service Pack 2 for Office XP 2003. Is there a way to make my formulas work again? Thanks, christophe Tools/Options/Calculation. Click on the Automatic radio button. In article <779E7BAB-58E9-4907-815B-636CAA20236F@microsoft.com>, Christophe <Christophe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Hi, > > When I enter '=A1' in B1, and I change the value of A1, the content of B1 > isn't update...

IE8 privacy question

IF AND question

Question about Paste Special

Microsoft Query question

selecting cell groups and locking up
Intermittent problem with Excel deciding to select a group or "array" of cells and locking the array on the last cell in use. All program functionality is gone and system must be re-booted to correct. Just a wild guest... Could it be that the mouse is sticking? Try gently banging on the mouse keys (including the wheel mouse if you have one)--or even swapping the mouse (temporarily???). Bugged by Excel? wrote: > > Intermittent problem with Excel deciding to select a group or "array" of > cells and locking the array on the last cell in use. All program > ...

Question

Increase a cell by 1.3%
Hi I have a spreadsheet with stacks of =A30.00 figures but need to increase these by 1.3%, so rather than manually doing it, can this be automated with a formula. What I dont want is an additional column, I just need to increse each cell "babypink2807@googlemail.com" <babypink2807@btinternet.com> wrote in message news:6c425fb2-1eee-49e3-b907-86806608d63d@34g2000hsh.googlegroups.com... >Hi > I have a spreadsheet with stacks of �0.00 figures but need to increase > these by 1.3%, so rather than manually doing it, can this be automated > with a formula. > What ...

OWA Question #16

VBA//Oracle Interfacing Question

Open CSV file by double-click on explorer all data in one column
Hi, I have a Windows NT with Excel 97. I have a very simple csv file containing: 1;2;3 When I open this test.csv file from File->Open in Excel it renders the data in three different columns. If I open the file by double-clicking in explorer it launches Excel and the data if confined in the first column. It seems as if it doesn't do the same when opening in both ways. Any hint? What do you have for your windows list separator? Close excel windows start button|settings|control panel|Regional and language options Click the customize button Numbers Tab List separator Make sure it ma...

Adding Formulas to Subtotal rows
I have a large amount of data on a spread sheet which has been sorted and subtotaled (using the “Subtotal” function on the data menu). On each subtotal row I would like to have formulas that use the results of that row’s subtotals (ie divide the value of one subtotal by the value of another subtotal on the same row). At the moment I am creating the formulas on one subtotal row and then copying them to each of the remaining subtotal rows – one row at a time. This seems to be cumbersome – is there a faster way? Thanks Hi one way: use a formula like the following =IF(ISNUMBER(FIND("Tota...

Text Box Question

401K questions

If / Then Question

ROWCOUNT question

Conditional more than one iif
I need to conditional format based on if two cells are evaluated: If in this row the value in column U is = “1” and the value in column M is > “30” then row should be highlighted green I probably should not wait til the end of the day to start a new excel sheet...lol Joe Hi, Try this CF formula =AND($U1=1,$M1=30) Select the full row before you apply it, change the 1 to the row you are in. -- Mike When competing hypotheses are otherwise equal, adopt the hypothesis that introduces the fewest assumptions while still sufficiently answering the question. ...

Exmerge Question #7

How do I append data in several cells in one column
How do I append data in several cells in one column? I have a situation where I have several worksheet with approximately 2000 records on each worksheet. I have to append the data in 2 of the several columns of information. I cannot permanently change the formatting of the documents. I am looking for something that can be done on a large scale with a minimum of keystrokes. I have tried concatenation, but when I delete the reference cell, the program faults out. I would appreciate any help.. Explain your appendage. -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Tim" <T...