protecting a group of cells not a whole worksheet

I would like to protect a group of cells and not a whole worksheet but I haven't been able to figure out how to do this.  I think this would be the best way for what I am wanting to do. I have a spreadsheet that I send to 13 people. They make changes and send back to me and then I have to up-date the changes.  If I could protect all the cells except for the one they enter in - then I could save the file on a shared drive and it would eliminate me up-dating. Is there a way to do this?

Hi
select the cells for which you want to allow entries. After this goto
'Format - cells - Protection' and uncheck 'Locked'. After this protect
your worksheet

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

CKelso wrote:
> I would like to protect a group of cells and not a whole worksheet
> but I haven't been able to figure out how to do this.  I think this
> would be the best way for what I am wanting to do. I have a
> spreadsheet that I send to 13 people. They make changes and send back
> to me and then I have to up-date the changes.  If I could protect all
> the cells except for the one they enter in - then I could save the
> file on a shared drive and it would eliminate me up-dating. Is there
> a way to do this?

0
frank.kabel (11126)

protecting outlined data
I want to be able to use the expand/collapse function in outlines when the worksheet is protected. Copy this macro in a normal module It will run automatic when you open the workbook You can also use the workbook open event Sub auto_open() With Worksheets("sheet1") .Protect Password:="rbelecki", userinterfaceonly:=True .EnableOutlining = True End With End Sub Look in the VBA help for more information about protect(userinterfaceonly) -- Regards Ron de Bruin (Win XP Pro SP-1 XL2000-2003) www.rondebruin.nl "rbelecki" <rbelecki@l...

Password Protect Outlook #2
I work in an offcie environment and sometimes have to leave my PC unattended for just a few minutes. Unfortunately some confidential emails have been read by my staff and I need a way of safeguarding them other than turning off the PC, is there any way I can password protect access into my Outlook 2000, so all I do is close Outlook. (Sorry still operating under W95) Many thanks You can set a password on a Personal Folders File. If the folder list isn't visible in Outlook, click View | Folder List. Right-click the root folder (usually "Personal Folders" or "Outlook T...

Cant get grid lines on worksheet
I can't get the grid lines to work on my worksheet. I fill in the box to show grid lines on the options but they don't come up. Am I doing something wrong or is there somewhere else I need to check? Thanks for any help. Have you shaded the cells? If you have, you may want to use borders and draw your lines where you want them. "W. Wells" wrote: > > I can't get the grid lines to work on my worksheet. I fill in the box to > show grid lines on the options but they don't come up. Am I doing something > wrong or is there somewhere else I need to check?...

Why are all my Excel docs in Google Groups opening as Read Only?
It looks like the Excel docs are all Excel 97-2003 files. I'm on Vista. Is this a compatability issue? The Google Group admin for these docs says it is not an issue with the security access level. ...

linking cells in a column (result) to cells in a row (source)
MS XP Pro / Excel 2007: Good day all. I have data in two consecutive rows. The 1st one is text and the second contains formulae which results in values. (Call these the "source") On another sheet in the same workbook I have two columns (Call these the destination) which need to be linked to the source rows if value (other than zero) is present in the 2nd source row. There could be zero value or blank cells within the source rows. I need code to sequentially seek values (other than zero) in the cells in the 2nd row of the source and when found, the next available cell ...

Quicken Password protected
I just got Money 2004 Deluxe, I am trying to import my data from Quicken and the program says there is a password for my quicken account that is required, but I never had a password. No way to get past this. Any ideas? If your data file is Q04, Money04 can only deal with Q03 or older. Otherwise, who knows? "Stephen Weiss" <stephenaweiss@comcast.net> wrote in message news:012f01c3cb22$9a957ac0$a101280a@phx.gbl... > I just got Money 2004 Deluxe, I am trying to import my > data from Quicken and the program says there is a password > for my quicken account that is req...

grouping dates in pivot table
I have an outstanding checklist which contains two accounts (account 2110 and 2189) I have created a pivot table using the date of the check on the left, the account on top and the amounts as the data. Example Account 2110 2189 Date 7/3/04 105 176 7/6/04 116 218 8/3/04 786 197 8/7/04 214 767 I am trying to group the dates so it will read total amount of outstanding checks for the month. Example: Account 2110 2189 Date July '04 ...

Password protection on split database
I have a database which is split into front end and back end. The front end is password protected but the backend isn't Is it possible to protect both with the same password? I've tried protecting the backend with a password but when I open the front end it can't "see" the backend. Any ideas? Thanks Tony Put a password on the backend, then, after opening the front-end, use the Linked Table Manager to update the links (just like you would if you had moved the backend). You should be prompted for the 'missing' password during this process. You should only...

How to protect 2. axis in an Excel Chart to stay if data changes
A Pivot table is created on Tab1 in an Excel workbook. On Tab2 there is a Line Chart created with data from Tab 1 using 2 axis. If data in Tab1 change the 2nd axis on Tab 2 disappears, jumps ober and overrules axis 1. How can I protect chart area with 2 axis being able to change referring data in the pivot table. ...

pivot table empty cell
I need to have an empty cell be in the pivot table. I have multiple pivot tables I have generated for a report. I have created a worksheet that reads the data from the pivot table (so it looks nicer). I have tried to check the box in options that says to put a 0 or another symbol (*) in an empty cell and it doesn't work. I want people to be able to input their own data and refresh the pivot table. If I have four response options (sometimes, always, never, usually) and the new data does not have data for one of the options then the table that reads the data gets messed up with its numb...

Cell ref is it possibile to calculate / change this in a formula
Any SUPER USERS uot there? I am trying to construct a formula where I need to copy it down 6500+ rows but I need one of the cell refs to be calculated in sted of having its row number to raise by one for each row copied. sample, Normel coping: =IF(AND(F25<=201012,F25<>$F$1),B25,'MASTER tot'!C25) =IF(AND(F26<=201012,F26<>$F$1),B26,'MASTER tot'!C26) What I am trying to get: =IF(AND(F25<=201012,F25<>$F$1),B25,'MASTER tot'!C25) =IF(AND(F26<=201012,F26<>$F$1),B26,'MASTER tot'!C16) For every line the for...

Adding cells with a particular comment
Hi all, is there any simple to add all cells in a row which have a particular comment without using macro. pls help. Regards, NC HI, Use the SumIF function -- anurag. ----------------------------------------------------------------------- anurag.d's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=895 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=31476 well i can use it for particular values but how to use it with comments. My problem is a particular comment for e.g "reject" or "accept" ia added to that cell, & ...

Event of changing the grid-cell value.
Hello. In VB.NET 2008. I have dataGridView. Which event occurs when changing data row value. (Not all the times I am changing the value via the dataGridView directly. There are also values that are changed directly via the datatable object. I need a general method, please. dataGridView is connected to BindingSource). Thanks :) In general you should avoid changing values using a datagridview, that is the client area, you would use the object which is the datasource of the bindingsource. I understand from your other messages it is a datatable but it can be any collection. ...

How add a Label in the subjet of the mails send to a Group? .Help
I�m trying to put a Label in the subject of the mails send to a specific group. like yahoogroups. When a send a mail to the Financial Department, i want that in the subject appears a Label Like [Fianacials] or somthing similar. How can i do this performance??? Thanks. ...

Copy a worksheet in lotus notes...
Hello everybody, I'm trying to copy a sheet in a Notes email by macro using VBA with Excel. I manage to create the memo, fill the "send to" field and the subject. I tried this command .FieldSetText("Body", MyWorksheet) but it requires a String. Does somebody know how to do it ? Thanks for your help. Lycaon Look here Sending mail from Lotus Notes (XL-Dennis) http://www.excelkb.com/?cNode=1X5M7A -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm "Lycaon" <tristan.pochat@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1168242221.070386.160990@...

limit no of characters in cell
How can I limit the number of charaters (including spaces) in a cell to 48? Additionally, I'm not sure if this is possible, say it applied to cell A1, once 48 characters are reached, it will then automatically drop down to the cell below to A2 and do the same again. thanks -- rocket0612 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ rocket0612's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=19492 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=375572 Try validation from the Data menu, and select text length...

Protection
Hi everyone OK my problem is I am using an offie computer that everyone has access to and we cannot - and do not want to - change this. Is there a way that I can put a password for my profile on Microsoft outlook so that no one can read the new AND the old messages found in my inbox? You can put a password on your PST file, presuming you use a PST file... Emad Kamel wrote: > Hi everyone, > OK my problem is I am using an offie computer that everyone has > access to and we cannot - and do not want to - change this. Is there > a way that I can put a password for my profile on Micr...

CANNOT PROTECT
Trying to password and read only protect a Microsoft Word docuement that is embedded in Excel. When I open the "protected" document, the read-only prompt does not appear...and I can still make changes and close the docuement. HELP! Try this: create the document directly in word, protect it and save it to disk. Then copy the text you want and past it special as an OLE object in excel Peter ...

Spreadsheet password protection
How do you password protect a spreadsheet. I can't find anything in the help section. You can prevent un authorised access by giving a password to open the workbook itself, so that no one else can open it (Go to Tools, Options and then Security Tab). You can do it there if you have already saved the file, or you can go to "save as" then "Tools" and "General Options" where you can give password. On the other hand you can protect work sheets and ranges for different people by using "Tools" and then "Protection" Tab -- M Imran Buha...

How to protect cells?
I would like to protect a range of cells (A2:D24) with a password for a group of users that would make changes to cells in this range. Then on the same sheet, also protect a range of cells (E2:E24) from everyone but me. Is this possible? Thanks. Mark, Please don't multipost. See the thread in .programming. John "Mark F." <m7829@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:FSzQb.10797$6o4.894@fe2.texas.rr.com... > I would like to protect a range of cells (A2:D24) with a password for a > group of users that would make changes to cells in this range. Then on > the same she...

Unable to group rows or columns on an excel worksheet
I'm unable to group/ungroup rows or columns on an excel worksheet that was emailed to me by a co-worker. It's an existing file so I don't know what restrictions were placed on the workbook. What can I do to fix this problem? If the sheet is protected, unprotect it. You may need a password. -- HTH, RD ============================================== Please keep all correspondence within the Group, so all may benefit! ============================================== "Christine - HCVT" <ChristineHCVT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C0BDA314-BE7...

How to Activate "Show all" in a Protected Shared Workbook
Hi, I created a protected and shared workbook in Excel 2003 ,the default Filter Option is "Auto Filter" how can I use the "Show All" in Filtering.? even I unchecked the "Filter Settings" in "Tools-> Share Workbook -> Advanced -> Include Personal View " but it did not work. Thanks. You can't. If the workbook were not shared, then you could create your own macro that unprotects the worksheet, does the showall and reprotects the worksheet. But with the workbook shared, you can't change the protection of a shee...

Sharing or Forwarding a Group Contact
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) Processor: Intel Email Client: Exchange I would like to be able to email/forward a contact group. Is this possible? On 3/11/10 9:36 AM, Gigi@officeformac.com wrote: > I would like to be able to email/forward a contact group. Is this > possible? Sorry, this feature is not available in Entourage. You can do this workaround though: 1) Create a new mail message and add your contact group to the To field. 2) Select File --> Save to save this new message to your Drafts folder. 3) Create a new mail message to t...

How do I pass series data x-value range to a chart from a cell?
I have a series on a line chart (x-values "=Sheet1!$A$1:$A$10"). I also have two worksheet cells (B1 & B2) that contain the start and end date for the x-axis of the chart. I want to be able to link the chart series data to the start and end date values so that the chart automatically adjusts when I change the dates in the worksheet cells. I can create a string or address for the x-values but how do I do not know how to pass this to the chart series?? I know I can do this using a macro, but I want to do it without macros so that friends who use MicrosoftCharts (the cheap, n...

Formula omits adjacent cells: ignore a whole row at once?
Allowing space to add further rows in a spreadsheet gives me a whole row of totals where the formula is tagged as 'formula omits adjacent cells'. How can I get the thing to ignore the lot at once rather than having to open all the drop down dialogues one at a time? Cheers, S On Jul 18, 8:19 am, "spamlet" <spam.mores...@invalid.invalid> wrote: > Allowing space to add further rows in a spreadsheet gives me a whole row of > totals where the formula is tagged as 'formula omits adjacent cells'. How > can I get the thing to ignore the lot at once r...