Protect sheet #3

I am working on an Excel document witch is a big database. I would like to
set a password with the "protect sheet" option in the Tools/Protection menu.
"Normal" users who will open the database won't be able to edit the
document, but will rather open it in "read only" mode.
The problem is that I still want these users to be able to use the "auto
filter" and also use the "sort A-Z" option. I have tried to select these
options in the configuration of the protection (protect sheet window) but it
doesn't work. I can't do any of those two things; I can only move the cursor
in the document.

Can someone could tell what do I do wrong in the setup of the protection?

thanks

0
assd (1)

I think that either the cells in the range to be sorted have to be unlocked or
have to be able to have the user edit the range (via that password).

But the data|filter|autofilter worked with locked and unlocked cells.

A couple of workarounds:

Create a macro that unprotects the worksheet, does the sort, and reprotects the
worksheet.

Let the user run the macro to do the sort.

===

When you save the file, give it a nice password to open to modify.  If the other
users don't know the password, they can still open it in readonly mode.

They can make as many changes as they want, but can't save the file in place.

Be aware that they can save it elsewhere, delete your original, and put their
copy in its place, though.

In xl2002+, it's:
File|SaveAs|Tools|General Options|

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

Local Delivery #3
Hi, We need to disable local deliver on exchnage, we want to disable Local Delivery for all mail that are sent internally and send them insteed thru SMTP. Any idea? ----------------------- Marcin S. what is the objective? what version Exchange? SMTP is the default protocol for Exchange 2000/2003... -- Susan Conkey [MVP] "Marcin S." <MarcinS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1304F974-48A6-4B5A-B613-560A3BFE42FA@microsoft.com... > Hi, > > We need to disable local deliver on exchnage, we want to disable Local > Delivery for all mail that are...

protecting outlined data
I want to be able to use the expand/collapse function in outlines when the worksheet is protected. Copy this macro in a normal module It will run automatic when you open the workbook You can also use the workbook open event Sub auto_open() With Worksheets("sheet1") .Protect Password:="rbelecki", userinterfaceonly:=True .EnableOutlining = True End With End Sub Look in the VBA help for more information about protect(userinterfaceonly) -- Regards Ron de Bruin (Win XP Pro SP-1 XL2000-2003) www.rondebruin.nl "rbelecki" <rbelecki@l...

Password Protect Outlook #2
I work in an offcie environment and sometimes have to leave my PC unattended for just a few minutes. Unfortunately some confidential emails have been read by my staff and I need a way of safeguarding them other than turning off the PC, is there any way I can password protect access into my Outlook 2000, so all I do is close Outlook. (Sorry still operating under W95) Many thanks You can set a password on a Personal Folders File. If the folder list isn't visible in Outlook, click View | Folder List. Right-click the root folder (usually "Personal Folders" or "Outlook T...

Quicken Password protected
I just got Money 2004 Deluxe, I am trying to import my data from Quicken and the program says there is a password for my quicken account that is required, but I never had a password. No way to get past this. Any ideas? If your data file is Q04, Money04 can only deal with Q03 or older. Otherwise, who knows? "Stephen Weiss" <stephenaweiss@comcast.net> wrote in message news:012f01c3cb22$9a957ac0$a101280a@phx.gbl... > I just got Money 2004 Deluxe, I am trying to import my > data from Quicken and the program says there is a password > for my quicken account that is req...

Re: Specification sheet
Dear Aladdin I have had another look at selecting the various specification items via check boxes, and the best way to go about this is by using user-forms. The down side to this is the fact that there will be a certain amount of coding that will need to be done in order to get the form working in conjunction with the contractors works order. But by no means impossible. If you do not feel confident in doing it yourself, I am sure that there are a number of IT contractors in your area who would be willing to help. Another alternative, and possibly not viable for you, is to use a data...

Sort whith 3 row column heading
I've searched the forum on sorting and can't find this problem. My shee in Excel 2002 has three rows of data that serve as column headings. need for others to be able to easily sort using the toolbar sort keys. When I do this, it doesn't recognize the column headings and sorts the too. If I choose the data range myself, it works - but the users nee a one touch simple method. Any ideas -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Kathy, You need your column headings in one row. You can use Alt-Enter as you enter them to break into separate lines within the cell, or set ...

Password protection on split database
I have a database which is split into front end and back end. The front end is password protected but the backend isn't Is it possible to protect both with the same password? I've tried protecting the backend with a password but when I open the front end it can't "see" the backend. Any ideas? Thanks Tony Put a password on the backend, then, after opening the front-end, use the Linked Table Manager to update the links (just like you would if you had moved the backend). You should be prompted for the 'missing' password during this process. You should only...

How to protect 2. axis in an Excel Chart to stay if data changes
A Pivot table is created on Tab1 in an Excel workbook. On Tab2 there is a Line Chart created with data from Tab 1 using 2 axis. If data in Tab1 change the 2nd axis on Tab 2 disappears, jumps ober and overrules axis 1. How can I protect chart area with 2 axis being able to change referring data in the pivot table. ...

I Need to change reference sheet for all cells on a form
Good afternoon, I am copying a spreadsheet to make summary sheet and I need to change which sheet the cells are referncing on my copy. Some of the cells refer to for example, =PRIOR YEAR!B3, some of the cells use a command to Round(PRIOR YEAR!B3/100), I would like to change all the references that currently refer to "PRIOR YEAR" sheet and make them "CURRENT YEAR" sheet, so my references would look like this =CURRENT YEAR!B3 and Round(CURRENT YEAR!B3/100). I am curious if a paste special, or shortcut exists that can do this quickly so I dont have to go in and manual...

"Cannot shift objects off sheet"
I am new to Excel 2007. When I try to add rows/columns I get the message "Cannot shift objects off sheet". How do I fix this? http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Cannot+shift+objects+off+sheet http://blog.contextures.com/archives/2009/03/16/cannot-shift-objects-off-sheet-in-excel-2007/ http://support.microsoft.com/kb/211769 "Vickie" <Vickie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:54A28B3A-CE1C-4130-AA70-D0FFF300A319@microsoft.com... >I am new to Excel 2007. When I try to add rows/columns I get the message > "Cannot shift objects off sheet&quo...

Sorting Multiple Sheets
I have a workbook with multiple sheets. The main sheet has 2 columns, 1 for first name, 1 for last name. The remaining sheets all have formulas to pull the first and last names automatically from the 1st sheet. If a user sorts the names on the first sheet, they will sort on subsequent sheets, but the information that goes with those names on subsequent sheets will not be included in the sort, thereby misplacing information. Is there anyway to remedy this, short of sorting each sheet each time there is an addition to any one sheet? ...

Protection
Hi everyone OK my problem is I am using an offie computer that everyone has access to and we cannot - and do not want to - change this. Is there a way that I can put a password for my profile on Microsoft outlook so that no one can read the new AND the old messages found in my inbox? You can put a password on your PST file, presuming you use a PST file... Emad Kamel wrote: > Hi everyone, > OK my problem is I am using an offie computer that everyone has > access to and we cannot - and do not want to - change this. Is there > a way that I can put a password for my profile on Micr...

CANNOT PROTECT
Trying to password and read only protect a Microsoft Word docuement that is embedded in Excel. When I open the "protected" document, the read-only prompt does not appear...and I can still make changes and close the docuement. HELP! Try this: create the document directly in word, protect it and save it to disk. Then copy the text you want and past it special as an OLE object in excel Peter ...

Spreadsheet password protection
How do you password protect a spreadsheet. I can't find anything in the help section. You can prevent un authorised access by giving a password to open the workbook itself, so that no one else can open it (Go to Tools, Options and then Security Tab). You can do it there if you have already saved the file, or you can go to "save as" then "Tools" and "General Options" where you can give password. On the other hand you can protect work sheets and ranges for different people by using "Tools" and then "Protection" Tab -- M Imran Buha...

How to protect cells?
I would like to protect a range of cells (A2:D24) with a password for a group of users that would make changes to cells in this range. Then on the same sheet, also protect a range of cells (E2:E24) from everyone but me. Is this possible? Thanks. Mark, Please don't multipost. See the thread in .programming. John "Mark F." <m7829@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:FSzQb.10797$6o4.894@fe2.texas.rr.com... > I would like to protect a range of cells (A2:D24) with a password for a > group of users that would make changes to cells in this range. Then on > the same she...

quick copy worksheet into other sheets in same workbook
I am wanting to copy a worksheet that is set up to show student results, targets and achievements into approximately 150 other worksheets in the same workbook. Is there a quick way of doing this other than copying and pasting? I want formats, colours and column widths etc to stay the same. In other words I want to produce about 150 identical copies of my layout as quickly as possible with the minimum of effort. I am using Excel 2003. Thanks in advance for any help and advice offered Right-click on the worksheet tab and select "Move or Copy", then use the dialog box that appear...

[Excel 2003] problem in files with pivottables after install Office Service Pack 3
Hi all. System: Windows XP Pro SP2, Office 2003 Professional + Service Pack 3 I have a problem with some xls files after install office service pack 3. With service pack 2 this files normal open. With service pack 3 after open file displays dialog (my translate from russian) "In workbook ... have contents which can not be read. Try restore contents of workbook ? If you trust source of this workbook, press button YES". If I press "No" - file not opens. If I press "Yes", displays next dialog. This dialog form content a list of corrections in file. Biggest pa...

can't rename a sheet
Hi, I got the following error when I tried to rename a sheet (chart) back to it� s original name: �Cannot rename a sheet to the same name as another sheet, a referenced object library or a workbook referenced by Visual Basic� Here�s what happened: I initially created a sheet named �mychart� I made another sheet �mychart(2)� by copying �mychart�, and deleted �mychart�. I found out �mychart� was still referenced in VBAProject as �chart4(mychart)�, even the sheet was deleted. And I couldn�t delete �chart4(mychart)� in VBA Project Explorer. Any way to fix it? Thanks a lot. I'm not sur...

How to Activate "Show all" in a Protected Shared Workbook
Hi, I created a protected and shared workbook in Excel 2003 ,the default Filter Option is "Auto Filter" how can I use the "Show All" in Filtering.? even I unchecked the "Filter Settings" in "Tools-> Share Workbook -> Advanced -> Include Personal View " but it did not work. Thanks. You can't. If the workbook were not shared, then you could create your own macro that unprotects the worksheet, does the showall and reprotects the worksheet. But with the workbook shared, you can't change the protection of a shee...

Old MS Mail 3.0 support
I am trying to find a way to support the old Microsoft mail postoffice. I have several cusotmers on small local LAn's using this with Outlook 97. If I convert/upgrade them to Office XP it continues to support the MS Mail Postoffice. However, a New install does not have this support. Anyone know how to get Office XP/2003 to support the old Microsoft Mail Postoffice? http://www.poremsky.com/msmail_xp.htm --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the SWEN virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted witho...

Password protected sheet access
I have a spreadsheet protected with a unknown password. How do I access this sheet? Ps: the "read only" option is not available. Thanks, Rivane. Hi Rivane Is this the password for opening the file, or the one for unlocking locked cells in the already open sheet ? Best wishes Harald Excel MVP Followup to newsgroup only please. "Rivane Cardim" <rivane.cardim@exxonmobil.com> wrote in message news:0a8801c35dae$a03275a0$a301280a@phx.gbl... > I have a spreadsheet protected with a unknown password. > How do I access this sheet? > > Ps: the "read only...

Protecting a Worksheet
Does anybody know how to protect a workbook so that a user CANNOT unhide a sheet, CANNOT add rows to the viewable sheet, CANNOT alter locked cells, but CAN add text to a comments column which will expand and Wrap text as the comments increase in size? I understand how to protect/unprotect locked cells, but I cannot find the right combination for the above functionality. Is it even possible? Any help is greatly appreciated. Jeff When a _Workbook_ is protected (Tools, Protection, Protect Workbook, Structure) sheets cannot be unhidden. When a _Worksheet_ is protected locked cells ca...

comparing data in different sheets
I have data set for each quarter, like sales, profits, margins. The dat is for more than 1000 companies and in different worksheets: Eac quarter is in each seperate worksheet. It gets frustrating to keep on switching between each worksheet to ge a comparative number. Is there a way out -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com In situations like this I generally create a summary sheet and reference the cells from all of the other worksheets. Set up the layout for the summary sheet and then select a cell you want to mirror the value from another worksheet. With the cell selected, ...

synchronization #3
Dear friends, I have a problem: I have to computers, one at office, the other at home. On both computers I use outlook intensively, in particular the calender. Now, when I make a change at the hoke computer, the one at the office remains out of date (or vice versa). And this cause problems because the two calenders contain different items, as I can not keep track of every input I make in either of the computers. So I need synchronization between the computers. But I absolutely have no idea how to do that. Here is what I was thinking: I work at the university and on the computer network I ha...

how to total 3 series in a column chart
I have a column chart with 3 series stacked on top of each other. Is there a way in this chart to indicate a combined total of the values of all 3 series at the top of the column? Hi Everyone, I need two formula's to get me going, the posible sinerios are either the student has an Absent (ABS) or he has a pass mark of between 40 - 100. while draging it down i want it to ignor the cells to the left where there is either no score or its blank i.e CELL(A1) 40 1 CELL (A2) Blank ( Ignor if no score) CELL (A3) 32 0 1. IF(O...