Problems with merged cells

I have merged a fair few cells so that I can enter paragraphs, once I type
past a certain point it wont bring up everything I have entered in the cell,
it cuts half of it off & it wont print it either, but when i click on the
cell all the information is there......can anyone help me out with this???

Excel has limitations (see link below).  Cells will show up to 1024
characters, but up to 32,767 will appear in the formula bar.  Printing..
maybe it has a 1024 character limit too.  (Just because you're using
merged cells doesn't mean you get more characters - they're treated as
one cell once merged.)  If you divide the frustration caused by merged
cells by their actual usefulness, you'd pretty much get a #DIV/0!
error.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel/HP051992911033.aspx

--
Paul

- Paul
Paul's Profile: 1697
View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/showthread.php?t=193498

http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz

0
Paul
4/7/2010 1:02:57 AM
Since limits on a lot of features are version-dependent it is always best if
you state which version of Excel you are using.

In Excel 2003 and earlier you can place 32767 characters in a cell.

However, only 1024 of these will be visible in the cell or can be printed.

Merging cells only gives you one large cell with the same limits as a
regular cell.

Add an Alt + Enter every 100 or so characters to increase this limit in
2003.

2007 version gives you same 32767 chars but more visible
characters........around 8000, I believe.

For large amounts of text you should be using a TextBox or Word.

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Tue, 6 Apr 2010 17:11:01 -0700, Emma <Emma@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>I have merged a fair few cells so that I can enter paragraphs, once I type
>past a certain point it wont bring up everything I have entered in the cell,
>it cuts half of it off & it wont print it either, but when i click on the
>cell all the information is there......can anyone help me out with this???

0
Gord

Publisher problem #3
I had some spywear cleaned off my machine about 6 months ago, I have gone to open a publisher file today (not used publisher since befor the spywear) now it comes up with the following message Cannot load file error PTX19.DLL Any Ideas? PUB2000 Error Message: Publisher Cannot Load the Required File (PTXT9.DLL) http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=235385&product=pub2000 -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://www.msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "MHW" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:090701c49b28$d2ed...

Upper & Lower case problem in VBA
I have the following formula to lock cells if the value in col I = X but sometimes it may be a lowercase x. How can this be adapted to lock the cells no matter if the x is upper or lower case? For Each cell In ActiveSheet.Range("I13:I1000") With cell .Offset(0, -7).Resize(1, 8).Locked = .Value = "X" End With Next cell one way: For Each cell In ActiveSheet.Range("I13:I1000") With cell .Offset(0, -7).Resize(1, 8).Locked = UCase(.Text) = "X" End With Next cell In article <eWR1sywDFHA.1836...

Outlook Reading Message problems
I have a question. A France client send message to our outlook 2002 received. When open message , it show " can't open this item", After I try forward message, it show " the messaging interface has returned an unknow error. If the problem persists, retart outlook" . This message cc person can read this message , pls advice how can fix. THx IITITITIT ...

Quick problem using #import
Hello guys, I was just curious how I could specify the default search directory for using #import. So for example, if I type: #import "myLib.dll" How would I find out where the search path for myLib.dll? By default, shouldn't it search the \windows\system32 directory? How would I specify other paths too? I searched MSDN and I couldn't find it. thanks Quoted Form = Instructs the preprocessor to look for type library files first in the directory of the file that contains the #import statement, and then in the directories of whatever files that include (#include) that fi...

Extremely complex problem: showing a value as an 'axis' on a circle
The value represents the orientation in degrees from horizontal So, imagine a circle where 3 o'clock is 0 degrees 12 o'clock is 90 degrees 9 o'clock is 180 degrees and a value of 180 is represented by: a picture of a circle with a horizontal line (going straigh across the diameter) and a value of 90 is represented by: a picture of a circle with a vertial line Is there any way that Excel can translate a value into this pictorally? BACKGROUND IF YOU ARE INTERESTED: taken from http://www.medem.com/MedLB/article_detaillb_for_printer.cfm?article_ID=ZZZG1...

Cell Value in workshet and VBA Cell Value differs
Hello, Range("B2") contains the value 1852 in general format. I am certain that this cell has no decimal places at all. I even typed it explicitly once again. But, when I do a ? Range("B2").Value in VBA immediate window, it prints 1852.00034359738 This causes problems for me when I import the excel data to access as I am actually expecting a whole number value in that cell. Could someone explain this behaviour and how I can go about in fixing it? I am actually a proficient excel user and this is the first time I encounter this. Thanks. If the column isn't w...

Problems with Office for Mac after upgrade to Snow Leopard
I just read Microsoft knowledgebase article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976446 and I am confused! It says that "If you sync ICal and Entourage 2004, you may notice that events that are transferred from Entourage 2004 to ICal have the wrong times. This is a known issue between Snow Leopard and Entourage." and says that the fix is to create a new user account. I don't get it. Once I create the new account, then what? On 2010-03-07 05:37:06 +0000, IzzyB said: > I just read Microsoft knowledgebase article > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976446 > ...

Splitting cells / diagonally displaying cell data
I have a two groups of data that will have six categories. Each category will be assigned a date in columns. The difficult part is that one row needs to relate to each of the dates and ideally I would like the dates displayed in one cell divided be a diagonal line. All of this is basically an ongoing project that I will need to see dates at a glance and make sure everything is on track. The actual information is confidential but I have related this project to some house repairs. This is the best example I can think of... (imaging this is an Excel chart) i.e. Interior o...

Formula to calculate text or letter in cell
Hi All I've done this before, but cant remember how and I cant find anything in help or on the internet. I need a formula to calculate whether a specified cell has text letters in it or numbers in it. Does anyone have the answer? Thanks Adam Hi Adam =ISNUMBER(A1) =ISTEXT(A1) will return TRUE or FALSE -- Regards Roger Govier "Adam" <adamevans81@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1172662975.955006.96420@m58g2000cwm.googlegroups.com... > Hi All > > I've done this before, but cant remember how and I cant find anything > in help or on the internet. &g...

SUMIF cell = "Yes"
I have a column with a drop down list with "Yes" and "No". Another column has values. I need a formula that sums the values only if "Yes" is selected. If "No" is selected or the cell is blank, I don't want the value in column "I" to be added. I have tried the following: =sumif(K25:K85, "Yes",I25:I85). This sums all the values entered from I25:I85. On Wed, 11 May 2005 13:49:22 -0700, heater <heater@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have a column with a drop down list with "Yes" and "No"....

Excel and Text problem
I know, Excel isn't a word processor, but for someone who's got an amazing amount of text in an Excel document right now, saying "Excel doesn't really do that" isn't going to make him happy. So, Excel 2000, Text in a cell isn't wrapping at the end. The last sentence runs off the cell and is half a paragraph's worth of text. If I copy it into a fresh spreadsheet, all the text displays properly, so I know its not that there's too much text. For one paragraph, I was able to put it into Word, make line breaks and bring it back. However, for other paragrap...

Problem installing SP2 for Exchange 2003 on front end server
We have Exchange 2003 sp1 Enterprise running on Windows 2003 sp1 Enterprise. I'm trying install SP2 on the systems. We have a front end server for OWA, and two back end servers with the mailboxes. I know you need to upgrade the front end servers first, but when I try to do the SP2 install on the OWA server, I get the "Setup is loading installation." box, followed a few seconds later by "A fatal setup error has occurred. Look at c:\documents and settings.eventlog.txt for more information. Cancelling setup" The eventlog.txt has a number of normal looking statu...

Outlook blocking Merge?
I trust that someone else has had to deal with this problem. I have outlook 2002 and Word 2002 otherwise known as XP. Some time ago my computer has completed upgrades or updates. When I try to do a merge to email from word it blocks the emails and brings up a screen that makes me hit the mouse for each email. At times, I must send 7000 emails. this will not due. Please help!!!! I need to get the next email out to our membership. Thanks JMAC out "John MacDonald" <mac1@ica.net> wrote: >I have outlook 2002 and Word 2002 otherwise known as XP. HUH??? Merge to HTML to...

modeless dialog focus problem
Hi there, I'm having a problem with setting the focus on a modeless dialog properly. This is my situation... I have a main dialog app and this creates a modeless dialog when I double click an item in a tree control; I then use SetFocus to bring that window to the top. Ok, this works great so far. Now if I click back on the main window and double click the same item then I look for the modeless dialog that I created (I store pointers to the dialogs that I've created) and call SetFocus on the dialog again, but this time it flashes to the front and then my main dialog window re...

Outlook 2007 E-mail Duplication Problem
I recently migrated from Outlook Express to Outlook 2007. All went well except for some reason every time I send a message there is a copy of that item in my inbox as well as the sent item folder (and of course to the recipient). I obviously don't want that message back in my inbox. How do I keep this from happening? Do you have any rules set up on outgoing messages? -- Jocelyn Fiorello *** Messages sent to my e-mail address will NOT be answered -- please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. *** "pd417" wrote: > I recently migrated from Ou...

CR/LF in cells
Hello all. I need to be able to put multiple lines of text with blank lines between them into cells. I can do this by creating the data as I want it in a word file then copy/paste into the cell, but I would like to be able to eliminate this step and enter directly. When I enter the first line of data and hit the return key, it goes to the next cell in the column. Any ideas? I figure there has to be a way to turn it on since it is possible to paste the same data in the cell. Thanks in advance, Maury Found it. I swear, work on something all day, then figure it out right after asking for he...

Inclusion problem between two project
Hi, I'm trying to include (.h and .cpp) from a project to another one. Here is what my solution looks on Visual Studio 2005. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- MySolution - Project1 (Window project .exe) - Project1.vcproj - Project1Source1.h - Project1Source1.cpp - Project1Source2.h - Project1Source2.cpp - ... -Project2 (Window project .exe) - Project2.vcproj - Project2Source1.h - Project2Source1.cpp - ... ---------------------------------------------------------------------------...

Header/footer/page number problem
Hello! Could someone please help me to add headers and page numbers to every page, but the first three pages of a booklet. Page 1 and the header should actually start on Page 4. I'm creating a business directory in booklet format, selected under Layout View, in Publisher 2003. I added page numbers, starting with Page 1 on the third page of the booklet. I inserted a section then entered the page numbers. Everything looks fine -- until I decided to add headers. When I decided to add headers I can only get them to show on every other page, despite trying the two page option on the M...

Logical function with multiple cells
Hi, I'm having trouble with the syntax for a logical function. Given, in A, B and C: 1 h f 2 b a 4 c e 2 f 9 e 4 d 6 g 2 a I want to write a function that sums the numbers in A that line up with the letters in B that also appear in C, and gives one number for an answer: 13 How can I do that? As near as I can tell, VLOOKUP only considers one cell at a time, and I can't work out the syntax on SUMIF. Anyone have any ideas? AmI missing the obvious answer? Try this... =SUMPRODUCT(SUMIF(B2:B9,C2:C4,A2:A9)) -- Biff Microsoft Excel MVP ...

downloading Quotes problem
I havent been able to download Quotes since 5/13. Strange thing is I dont get an error message or any indication they failed excpept ... the 'Read call summary Messages" it shows last time quotes were downloaded 5/13 successfully. Other online fuctions seem to work ... Money update, Credit card downloads. Additionally, a second Money file I have works fine. I did try running salve and there were no broken records in my Money file. Is anyone else seeing this behavior? TIA Sorry, I forgot to mention I am using Money 04. "quest" <quest@abc.com> wrote in messa...

assertion problem in Mixed mode DLL
Pardon the cross post, but I'm not sure where exactly to post this question. We have MFC application using many MFC extention DLL's. We started using a new MFC extention DLL that is mixed mode so we could use some .Net components we have built. We are getting an assertion in ~CCmdTarget when exiting our app when after making a call to Windows Forms MessageBox. On line 48, m_dwRef is 2 for some reason. Offending line - System::Windows::Forms::MessageBox::Show("Test"); Is there some function I need to call to release something that I am missing? Any ideas? Thanks... Craig...

Sorting problem #4
Hello, I've got Excel 2002 SP3. I've got a spreadsheet with part numbers in column A, and then prices in column B. I used Data > Sort by column A to get the list of 600+ part numbers in alphanumeric order. The first five part numbers are: 0405 0433 0435 0503 0615 This is fine. But then I have to scroll down about 30 rows to find these part numbers: 0401-B 0406* 0422* 0423* I would like these to be at the top of the list with the other part numbers (so that 0401-B is first and the others fall in line where they should). Is there a way to automatically do this? I don&#...

Copy cells with data and paste
Anyone, I am trying to do what I hope is a simple task. I need to have a two part macro that will do the following. 1. Copy only the cells in a certain range that have data in the cells. 2. I then need the macro to paste this data into a new worksheet on this first available blank row thanks in advance for anyones help on this. Bill To learn, Record a macro while use data>filter>autofilter to filter the NON blanks>copy>paste> Then clean up the macro To determine the last row use lastrow=cells(rows.count,"a").end(xlup).row+1 Post back with further questions. -- ...

Can a Formula in Cell X modify Cell Y?
Example: A Formula in Cell A1 should do the following: If cell A1 equals 1, then cell B1 should have the value 5, otherwise B1 should be 6. A condition in cell A1 is changing the value of cell B1... is that possible? Please note that there is NO Formular in Cell B1, which is the cell to be modified... Thanks No, only through VBA -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "alMandragor" <alMandragor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:94154F2A-DBD2-4A47-AF47-F21935C77B91@microsoft.com... > Example: > > A Formula in Cell A1 should do the following: > > If c...

StretchDIBits problem
Hello. I use the StretchDIBits function 5 time by second to display a 8 bits frame (800*640) in graylevel. The function return the right value 640. My problem appear after around 98000 call of this function the function called by a thread with ON_MESSAGE & PostMessage LRESULT CDisplayFrame::RefreshFrame(WPARAM wParam, LPARAM lParam){ m_stretchStatus=StretchDIBits(m_dispArea.GetDC()->m_hDC,\ 0,0,Coord.right - Coord.left, Coord.bottom - Coord.top,\ 0,0,WIDTH,HEIGHT,currentDisplayFrame, MyIH,DIB_RGB_COLORS,SRCCOPY); return (true); } If I put i...