Problem opening csv files with hexadecimal values

Hello,

I'm using excel 2003 and i'm having problem with csv file that contains
values such as 123e4 since excel interpets it as 123*10^4. Is there any way
that I can write this number so excel will leave it as a string ?

I'm aware of the article
http://www.kbalertz.com/Q66033/Hexadecimal.Values.Changed.Imported.aspx
but the solution propose there to use the wizard is clumsy. I want to double
click on csv file and get the string.

Thanks, Eyal

Change the file extension from .csv to .txt then in Excel use File |
Open (file type = All files) and select the .txt file. This will
automatically take you into the Data Inport Wizard, and on the 3rd
panel of this you can specify the data types that you want each column
of data to be treated as, so you can set Text for this column.

Hope this helps.

Pete

0
pashurst (2576)
1/18/2006 11:33:04 AM
You can record a macro while you do the import once, then apply this to
future imports.

Pete

0
pashurst (2576)
1/18/2006 11:37:34 AM
Thanks for the answer, but I was looking for something more simple than a
macro, maybe a certain type of way to print to the csv file.

"Pete" wrote:

> You can record a macro while you do the import once, then apply this to
> future imports.
>
> Pete

Problem shortcuts in Word

Outlook 2003 PST problems

Problem with Authentication

Create a Variable from First 4-5 chars of a existing value ??
In a current table, the values in a particular field are all items like: MD45 Tuesday PM or TX341 Friday AM or FL12 Monday PM ...in other words...2 parts seperated by a space. The first part is always a State Abbrv. followed by either a 2 or 3 char. number. That first part will always be 4-5 characters long (or...everthing before the first Space). I'm needing to create a varible that is the First Part of the existing value.. ..in other words...the variable would need to be (from the above examples)... MD45 or TX341 or FL12 I'm kind of familiar with LEFT command. Would usin...

How do I assign X = the value of 1 in a cell in Excell 2003?
How do I assign X = the value of 1 in a cell in Excell 2003? That need some explaining. Excel genially goes use variables but rather uses cell references. Cells can be given names (such as x) but it is not required. Tell use more about what you wish to accomplish best wishes -- Bernard Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove CAPS in e-mail address "Givens" <Givens@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4ACE70A4-D4EC-4B79-8552-B7BA11BE9B38@microsoft.com... > How do I assign X = the value of 1 in a cell in Excell 2003? Put a 1 into any cell - let'...

calendar problem

format of emailed excel file
In excel 2003 when I email a a particulat worksheet in a workbook I lose all the formating when it is recieved in Outlook 2003. Is there anyway to preserve the excel "look"? Thnaks, Craig S ...

problem #4

Show file location in title bar?
Is there a way to make Excel or Word show the location of a file in the title bar. Right now, it just shows the name of the file. I was thinking in 2003, it showed the file location, or perhaps there was an option to show it? I can't find the same thing in 2007 and it would be extremely helpful to have it! I use template files with the same name (for easy searching) but save in different client folders, which is why I want it to display the full path. Otherwise, I wouldn't care. Thanks!! Add "Document Location" to the QAT. You'll find it in the "Com...

95 and 97 problem

Date problem

sync problems

error opening Outlook #4
I just installed Office XP standard onto a new Sony laptop running XP Pro. All other Office programs work fine except for Outlook. When Outlook opens it stays open for just a few seconds and then closes. Next time I try to open it I get a "safe mode" message but it still does not open. I have installed, unistalled and reinstalled. I have booted and rebooted. Your thoughts? Try a new mail profile. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. Af...

Office 2007 - HELP

Installation Problem!!

Resource editor problems

Excel
Hi! I have an Excel sheet were I have a few formulas. When the sheet is empty of numbers the formula return the value #DIV/O! I would like to know how I can hide this text - it does not look neat. I want the formula to be there; but to show as empty. I have tried to use conditional formatting which does hide the formula - but it then also hides the result when I actually put numbers into the sheet. Kathrine, Norway Kathrine, Did you use a formula in CF, such as =ISERROR(A1) You could also change your formula to =IF(ISERROR(the_formula),"", the_formula) -- HTH RP (re...

Outlook won't open after reinstalling it after installing Windows
My computer crashed. I installed Windows 7, and then reinstalled Office 2007. Outlook will not open. Any suggestions? Margye Hixson Suggest providing information. Include what you did, what happened and any and all error messages. Be detailed as if we weren't there and don't know what happened. -- Russ Valentine "Margye" <Margye@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9F85CAAC-2042-4CAB-A329-EF6B3A682189@microsoft.com... > My computer crashed. I installed Windows 7, and then reinstalled Office > 2007. > Outlook will not open....

Directory Replication Problem #2

Software of scripting to grab data from MS word file and fill in Excel fields?
I have a 90 page financial report from MS word that I get each month. I would like to find a software package or scripting tool that will allow me to automate the process of grabbing #s from the ms word file and filling in fields in an excel file. I have a feel that there may be quite of programming involved in doing this. But perhaps there are some more efficient solutions out there. I would appreciate any advice. Thanks Hi, Do the numbers appear in the same part of the word document each tim (eg always in the same row/column of the same table). If so, copyin the data into excel should be ...

Cell Format