previous working Excel file cannot longer be opened

A spreadsheet (96kb *.xls file-using Microsoft Works 6) was previously
working and saved in drive A. It was succesful retrieved several times but
since the last time it was saved, it cannot be opened any longer. @ the time
that I tried to open it the system frozen. I tried to repair the file using
the Windows inbox repair tool.    Now, I get the message that the file was
created with an unknown application. A *.bak file was created by the repair
application. How the file can be restored?. Thanks.

Hi
NEVER open a file directly from a floppy disc. This could lead to
corrupted files. Your file is probably lost

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

algorithom wrote:
> A spreadsheet (96kb *.xls file-using Microsoft Works 6) was
previously
> working and saved in drive A. It was succesful retrieved several
> times but since the last time it was saved, it cannot be opened any
> longer. @ the time that I tried to open it the system frozen. I tried
> to repair the file using the Windows inbox repair tool.    Now, I get
> the message that the file was created with an unknown application. A
> *.bak file was created by the repair application. How the file can be
> restored?. Thanks.

0
frank.kabel (11126)

word document won't open
I have a word document that has nothing but typed text that is less than four pages long. It does not have any graphics or anything other than text. When I try to open it, I get an error prompt that states: ""Word cannot open this document because it is larger than 512 megabytes". I've never had this happen to a Word document before. Can you please advise I how I can open this document? Thanks, Hal The document appears to be corrupt - http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/CorruptDoc.htm -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< &...

Maximum Named Ranges in Excel?
Hello all, I am using the Named ranges in excel to store metadata about each cell in excel that can persist with the excel file. So 1 cell = 1 Named Range.Advantage of using this approach is excel automatically updates the name references, even if we cut-and paste cells. As per this link(http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel/ HP051992911033.aspx), the amount of named ranges is limited only by the amount of available memory. I wrote a small macro that adds names to each cell in excel, considering an average data of 10000 rows into 10 columns. like this: Sub addNames() ...

Changing template that opens on program launch
While working in a drawing in Visio 2007, I had an unexpected system error close the program. The drawing was recovered, but it was also automatically saved as the default template. Now that draing opens as Dawing1 everytime I launch Visio. Can someone please tell me how to change the default template that opens on program launch? ------=_NextPart_0001_1933829B Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit It sounds like Visio is trying to 'recover' the crashed session for you. Try this - Close Visio, and look in your user profile (%userprofile%\Local Settings\Appli...

Max characters in a cell work-around <1166227712.926007.310770@73g2000cwn.googlegroups.com>
Thanks - you helped me today! I've been looking for a way around the 1024 display limit and this is much better then the <alt><enter> suggestion I've found elsewhere. EggHeadCafe.com - .NET Developer Portal of Choice http://www.eggheadcafe.com ...

Can an address list be alphabetized in excel?
I am attempting to build an Excel spreadsheet database of address, and I'm wondering if I can just input the names and address, and have Excel automatically alphabetize them for me. I've trie the SORT feature (from A-Z), but this is not working for me. "not working" isn't a very good description of the problem. What values did you have in the cells? What order did it give when you sorted? What order did you expect? Did you select the range of cells, including the relevant rows and columns, before you asked Excel to sort? -- David Biddulph "kev...

CSV file opening as a text format
At the moment i have CSV files opening up in Excel as a text format ie where all the data is seperated by a comma and is located in the first column ie 112,334,33443,,,,12 How do I get the CSV file to automatically open so that the data is in separate columns? ie 112 334 33443 "blank" "blank" "blank" 12 In article <B8DD1C2E-8F57-4264-A60A-08B44F00DDBF@microsoft.com>, Washeacrim@discussions.microsoft.com says... > At the moment i have CSV files opening up in Excel as a text format ie where > all the data is seperated by a c...

Can't open account.
Why won't my Mac 10.4.11 using safari as browser open my account? Safari version 3.0.4 Inasmuch as this Newsgroup is dedicated to the software program, MS Access, you're not likely to get any answers here to Safari or Mac problems. Try posting into a newsgroup which supports, Mac, and/or Safari. Also, you wuld probably get a better answer if you specify WHICH account you are trying unsuccessfully to open. Best of luck. "sebe" <sebe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:577461D2-FF7F-425F-8F23-BBBFC3F819F6@microsoft.com... > > Why won't my...

Looking up your previous questions
I am really in need of looking up a past question I asked here, but cannot find it through the search function. Is there a way to retrieve the messages that you've posted here? Thanks in advance! I use google to search groups. http://groups.google.com/advanced_search?&as_ugroup=microsoft.public.excel.* Give it enough information (you as the author, maybe a keyword or date) and you'll find it. Jon in the U&L wrote: > > I am really in need of looking up a past question I asked here, but cannot > find it through the search function. Is there a way t...

Excel 2000
I have Excel 2000 on a older Windows 98 system. Today Excel started to freeze and won't open application. I get a error message that says "USER.EXE at 000b:0000231d"; it also says I have low resources. All othe office applications appear to be working fine. Please help on correcting problem. Hi Simply, Have you tried repairing Excel, via either Help|Detect & Repair or via Add/Remove Programs in the Windows Control Panel. -- Cheers macropod [Microsoft MVP - Word] "Simply" <Simply@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F5FC4...

jpeg files in excel
I bought a new computer and now when I click on a hyperlink to a jpg file it opens in MSIE. I prefer the way it worked on my old computer where the file was opened by Windows Picture and Fax Viewer. How can i change this? Thanks Andre wines@sasktel.net Andre kind of Off Topic ? Ah well. If you are using XP, go to Explorer and select Tools | Folder Opions... | File Types tab | select the .JPG extension in the list of "Registered file types" and in the "Details for" section Change the file it is opened with. You should get a list of programs with the recommended p...

Access 2007 and MDE Files
I thought I posted this already, but don't see it. Seems like my post didn't get posted. I have an Access 2003 MDE front end that is linked to an Access 2003 MDB backend. Been in use for years, works fine. I was led to understand that Access 2007 couldn't run a MDE file. Reference this Microsoft KB article. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc178973.aspx My customer who uses this unknowingly gave access to the MDE file to a user who only has Access 2007 installed. To my/our surprise, the MDE ran in Access 2007. Can anybody explain that? At th...

XSD For XML File
Hrm, I don't think it's possible to create a schema for the following XML, just asking in hopes of some good suggestions for it: <menuBar> <menuBarItem> <menu> <menuItem /> <menuItem /> <menuItem> <menu> <menuItem /> </menu> </menuItem> </menu> </menuBarItem> </menuBar> Get the picture? I don't think it's possible because of the <menu> grandchild of the first <menu>...

REQ: I need help working out this function.
I have a sheet with sales, stock and wks cover by 2 wks forward average sales(asuming I don't get any more stock). N.B. figures are actual and estimated. Date Sales Stock wks cover (K) (K) wk1 200 800 3.5 wk2 220 750 2.9 wk3 240 720 2.4 wk4 280 760 2.2 wk5 310 790 2.1 wk6 390 840 2.5 wk7 350 890 2.9 wk8 320 940 - wk9 300 900 - What I need is to take away my sales estimates from my actual current stock cover to give a better figure because I have big sales p...

Radio Button on opening the form
Hello: I have know how to open the form using command button, but now I want to use Radio Option button to open the form consists of: 1. Show all supplier invoices 2. Show only outstanding invoices 3. Show only paid invoices I have created 3 types of Form using 3 types of query, and now I want to open it by using radio button with the button OK and cancel to open the form. Is there any website providing the sample of Radio button to opent the form. I want to studdy how to write the VBA for that. Thanks in advance. Frank You sure you want the form to open when the radio button is sel...

Problem with right-click->open a custom form sub-message class
I have made my own message class IPM.Note.MyClass and a subclass with the name IPM.Note.MyClass.SubClass. They both use the same form when they are displayed. In my inbox, both mail types can be opened by double-clicking on them and the correct form is opened. But when I right-click on a mail of the sub class it is opened in Outlook's own form which is not the intension. I use Outlook 2003 SP2 and I only use one .cfg file since the two message classes are very similar. Can anyone help me with the problem? ...

My cursor doesn't seem to work on word works fine anyplace else
Basically when I am working on my laptop and typing a document, if I wanted to go back ,say a paragraph I normally would left click the cursor position and I'm there. But now it won't respond to new position and I can't click to the new position. Very frustrating. I have to use the buttons to move back or forward on my document. ...

Shift-F9 works but F9 does not
I recently upgraded to Outlook 2003, it's slick. But, our company makes us work Offline and just do a "Send/Receive All (F9)" to keep our mailboxes in synch. This functionality does not work for me since upgrading Outlook. I can open each individual folder and press Shift-F9 and it will update just that folder, but that is very laborious. Pressing F9 doesn't even prompt me for my password, it just flashes the progress window and finishes. Pressing Shift-F9 will ask for my password the first time I do it. Even when I sneak and start Outlook in online mode, the s...

How do i work out what each one has worked ?
Hi , i have a major headache trying to calculate what my Technical crew are doing. I currently have them entering their data as follows: Start times in Column A.....This is not always entered in order of tim Finish times in Column Tech initials in Column C,D,E & When i add the durations of each of their jobs, filtered using their initials...the total is accumulative which is wrong as no one can be in two places at the same time I would very much appreciate it if somone can help ...

How can I set up a pop-up calendar for 2010 in Excel?
for MS Office Excel 2003 if you send me email, i can send you something to try. -- Gary Keramidas Excel 2003 "Mary" <Mary@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:17F48E86-75A2-4B85-8EBE-904AB79CDA96@microsoft.com... > for MS Office Excel 2003 Hi Mary You can download one from this site :http://www.fontstuff.com/downloads/index.htm Take note that if you're not using MS Office Professional, you will need to download and install a file called MSCAL.ocx. See is notes at the buttom of the page. HTH John "Mary" <Mary@di...

Vendor ID from Previous transaction
When entering transacitons in payables it would be nice to have the Vendor ID to populate from previous transactions until the user changes it. This could be as a setup option. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions...

outlook express not working
Everytime I power up for the first time my outlook does not contain the messages, only after I run regsvr32 inetcomm.dll... they will come back, but I have to do this everytime . Do I need to re-install outlook or internet explorer to get this corrected? Must be a virus just bought this computer! This newsgroup is for support of Outlook 97, 98, 2000 & 2002 from the Office family for Windows PCs. For Outlook Express (OE) support try posting in one of these newsgroups: microsoft.public.inetexplorer.ie4.outlookexpress for OE 4.x microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie5.outlookexpress fo...

How to open microsoft xl
Hello! I just installed microsoft viewer 2003. When I try to open it, I was able to find microsoft excel listed on my start-program menu. When I click on the file menu, there is a dialog box that pops out and ask me for the file name. I tried xlviewer.exe and then download.microsoft.com, but none of them work. So I cannot open microsoft and use a spreadsheet. Please help! ngogo@nc "Chrisdenamy" <Chrisdenamy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A4297AF7-59D0-4B3F-8B04-1C6391B2B07C@microsoft.com... > Hello! > I just installed microsoft viewer 2003. When I...

Expand formula in EXCEL
Hi. Is it possible someway to expand a formula in EXCEL downward, (A1--> A100), but the values of cells have to be read from a horizontal line? (That means: A1=B1, A2=C1, A3=D1,…………………….A100=CW1). I try some forms of $A1, A$1, e.g. (expand) but without any result. Thank you. Put in A1 =OFFSET($A$1,,ROW(A1)) then copy downward "?????" <@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4FA7B8F6-B6CC-401C-813C-3A5D5B904908@microsoft.com... > Hi. > Is it possible someway to expand a formula in EXCEL downward, (A1--> > A100), > but the values of cells hav...

Saving file to a specific folder
I created a template form in Excel. However, when I save a completed form, the save menu automatically brings up My Documents. I continually have to navigate to the specific folder I want to save to. This is a pain to do this all the time. How do I adjust the template's properties to automatically choose the specific folder to save to? Look at the Subject: Saving file to a specific folder topic a couple of spots down for a couple of ideas. tj "richkim2000" wrote: > I created a template form in Excel. However, when I save a completed form, > the save menu automati...

Weekends on Excel graphs
How do I get rid of weekends from showing up on Excel graphs when they are not in my data set. I am plotting stock prices over time and Excel automatically adds in weekends and holidays on the graph when these dates are not even included in my data set. Please help! Here's one I suggested recently. Autofilter on any column that is blank. Be sure to unfilter on sheet deactivate. Private Sub Chart_Activate() Application.ScreenUpdating = False With Sheets("Daily Data") x = .Range("a65536").End(xlUp).Row .Range("a1:q" & x).AutoFilter Field:=2, Criteria1:...