preventing a workbook being changed? (not as simple as it sounds!)

i am trying to prevent anyone being able to make changes to a workboo
and something strange is happening.

Ive put a password on the workbook by going to tools/options/securit
and adding a "password to modify".

now in theory this should prevent anyone ever being able to change m
workbook without knowing that password.

however ive had the workbook put onto the intranet, clicking the lin
to it opens it in IE.  if i make some changes in the workbook and the
click the back button in IE, i get prompted to save the workbook due t
changes.  I can then click save and save the workbook to my disk.  if
then try to open the workbook from my disk, I get no password what s
ever and can change anything I like.

anyone know what the hell is up with that?  I mean the whole idea is w
dont want invalid versions floating around that people have saved o
the intranet and somehow the password is vanishing as soon as its save
to disk from IE after viewing it on the intranet

ive just realised it isnt even the process of saving the file that
causing the password to vanish.  The password is on the file here.
emailed it to our intranet guy to put on the intranet and when openin
it on the intranet, the password has miraculously vanished into thi
air!!!!!!!!!

the thing is i dont really want to protect everything like that as
will have to unprotect it al the time to update it (which is severa
times a day).  I dont know how the password i set vi
tools/options/security is vanishing into thin air, it really shouldn
be

Neowok,
I can not replicate your situation.
My workbook is locked, following (alowable) changes it
does not prompt for "saveing".
take us through your process.
Dingo

to a workbook
>and something strange is happening.
>
>Ive put a password on the workbook by going to
tools/options/security
>and adding a "password to modify".
>
>now in theory this should prevent anyone ever being able
to change my
>workbook without knowing that password.
>
>however ive had the workbook put onto the intranet,
clicking the link
>to it opens it in IE.  if i make some changes in the
workbook and then
>click the back button in IE, i get prompted to save the
workbook due to
>changes.  I can then click save and save the workbook to
my disk.  if i
>then try to open the workbook from my disk, I get no
password what so
>ever and can change anything I like.
>
>anyone know what the hell is up with that?  I mean the
whole idea is we
>dont want invalid versions floating around that people
have saved of
>the intranet and somehow the password is vanishing as
soon as its saved
>to disk from IE after viewing it on the intranet.
>

>---
>
>.

0
anonymous (74722)
3/3/2004 9:59:21 PM
If you do find you have to go through the protection rigmarole, it'
worth doing the worksheets in a sub in This Workbook which runs o
opening.

Al

just cannot work out how emailing a workbook to the intranet manager
then him putting it on the intranet can make the password vanish

outlook feature to prevent forgetting attachments
Often people forget to send attachments with emails. Very often they will write something along the lines of "I have attached the minutes from our meeting" and then forget to atcually attach a file. Is there a way therefore that outlook can check the text of an email for words like attach, attached, attachment and query the user before sending if there does not appear to be an attachment? ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree"...

Personal Macro Workbook #5
Had a computer malfunction this morning while working in a spreadsheet & this afternoon I notice that all my macros have disappeared. Not only that but when I try to recreate a new one, if I choose to store it in 'Personal Macro Workbook', I get the following message... 'Personal Macro Workbook in the startup folder must stay open for recording,' followed by 'Unable to record.' What on earth is going on?? Thanks in advance for any ideas that you might have. Montana Apparently the "malfunction" affected or was caused by the Perosnal.xls. Go to He...

OK to change field name in table?
Hello, Can I change the name of a field without causing havoc to the table's structure?! I have for example address-1 which is not a correct form, should be for example address_1 - correct? Cheers Geoff "Geoff Cox >" <<> wrote in message news:na3hk315282je4e6juuro4ko2futjnb10a@4ax.com... > Hello, > > Can I change the name of a field without causing havoc to the table's > structure?! > > I have for example address-1 which is not a correct form, should be > for example address_1 - correct? Sure, you can change it without harming the tabl...

Updating linked cells within a workbook, from worksheet to workshe
(Excel 2002) I have a 5G Excel workbook with around 40 worksheets in it. Many of the sheets contain cells that refer to values in other sheets. I recently found that some of the values were incorrect (I believe they were just not updated). When I double clicked on the cell, gained access to the formula and then hit enter, the cell updated. I'm wondering 2 things - 1) Under what circumstances will cells NOT automatically update? I thought they always updated automatically as long as you're working within the same workbook. 2) Is there a way that I can update all cells at o...

cant not change history on a shared workbook
I have an excel 2003 file, that is a shared workbook, the file is huge, and I know if I uncheck and recheck the shared option, it will clear my history and decrease the file size. but I would like to change the amount of history it is keeping. (defaulting 30 days) When I go Tools \ share work\ advanced tab. only the keep history for 30 days is grayed out, and all the other options are availble, I can not figure out why, can anyone please help me ...

change mm to decimal
If it's 22 min, I enter =22/60 to get 0.37. Is there a faster way that I can enter just 22 and it converts to 0.37 for me and I still have the option to see it in minutes if chosen? Thanks, With formulas.................. In B1 enter this formula. =IF(A1="","",A1/60) Drag/copy down as far as you wish. Cell will be blank until a number is entered in column A With event code.................. This code will add the decimal value to adjacent cell. Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) Const myRange As String = "A1:A10&quo...

In Excel, how do I change the rows into columns?
Current spreadsheet a b c l m n x y z Desired spreadsheet a l x b m y c n z Copy the cells, move somewhere else on the sheet or to another sheet, select Paste Special | Transpose regards Trevor "Novice SS User" <Novice SS User@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:757C09CB-AB4E-4D74-B474-AA04F2BEFD18@microsoft.com... > Current spreadsheet > > a b c > l m n > x y z > > Desired spreadsheet > > a l x > b m y > c n z ...

How do you change the default working folder in Publisher 2007?
In the Options section of Publisher 2003 you could change the default working folder from My Documents, but this option has disappeared from the 2007 version. WindowsXP? The Publisher developers forgot to add this to the options tools. Create a folder for your Publisher files, add it to "My Places", when you save a Publisher document, click the folder. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "carljh" <carljh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EA3DE838-8282-418E-A6CC-60521CBEC085@mic...

preventing date from changing
I have an If condition that sets the date to "today()" true or "today() + 1" if false. My question is how do I prevent the date from changing? If the date is set for today, then tomorrow I don't want to "update". How can this be done? thanks You could copy the cell, and paste as values, before you close the file. (Edit>Paste Special, Values) Or, you could enter today's date in a cell in the row (Ctrl+; ), then refer to that cell in the formula. For example, instead of: =IF(A2="Local",TODAY(),TODAY()+1) enter: =IF(A2="Local...

Prevent the sales from Tendering when another Item is Scan at POS
Hello, We have serveral items that our Retail does have price assign to them. The cashier will scan the next item. They will not notice the last item they did not enter a price. Now the 2nd item is the price for the 1st item. Then the cashier will tender out the sales without noticing they have an incorrect total for this transaction. Then the store manager have to performed a post void for this transaction, which hold up the customer awaiting to check out. Have anyone else encounter this and know a way to limited sale from being total out of an acceptable sales amount...

Sales due date does not change
Hi! Does anyone know why the due date in sales does not change whenever a sales person goes in to an activity? Kind regards, Chris ...

prevent user from deleting a tab prevent running macro from menu
how can one prevent a user from 1. deleting a specific tab in a workbook? 2. prevent a user from running a macro from the tools menu (where user can only run a macro from a command button)? thanks! #1. Protect the workbook's structure. In xl2003 menus: tools|protection|protect workbook|check structure #2. Make the sub private: Sub Testme() becomes Private Sub testme() This will stop the user from seeing that subroutine--but if they know the name, they can still type it and run it. joemeshuggah wrote: > > how can one prevent a user from...

"Merge Workbooks" not highlighted.
Why "Compare and Merge Workbooks" is not highlighted/available on "Tools"? The workbook must be "shared". Tools>Share Workbook. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Tue, 17 May 2005 10:15:04 -0700, "Weakons" <Weakons@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Why "Compare and Merge Workbooks" is not highlighted/available on "Tools"? ...

Re: preventing distribution lists from printing
I work for a large corporation and I often get outlook mail with ver long distribution lists. Is there any way to prohibit these lenght list from printing so that I only get the message? Thank - buddy ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Posted via http://www.mcse.m ----------------------------------------------------------------------- View this thread: http://www.mcse.ms/message548641.htm ...

Lock format changes
Is there anyway to lock format changes. Specifically, users are clicking and dragging cell values down the columns. I know education is the answer....copy/paste special/values only, but this is a bunch of old dogs that dont want to learn new tricks. I would like for them to be able to click and drag down but not copy borders and shading. We are using xl2000 Thanks I saw Gavins reply in a previous post recommending to unlock the cells in question and then protect sheet. This doesnt appear to work. I might also add that copying down changes the Font size. The size currently alternates bet...

how can i change the letters in the top row to words
You can't. You can use letters or numbers or nothing. Tools|options|General tab|check/uncheck R1C1 Reference style or tools|options|view tab|check/uncheck row and column headers. But there's nothing stopping you from putting headers in row 1 and then freezing panes so that row 1 is always visible. As a user of excel, I expect to see the row and column headers. So I don't see a problem showing them. And since many people like A1 reference style and others like R1C1, I (as a developer) let them see what they want. If you want to try freezing row 1 so that it's always vis...

Data Changing Issue
Hi I am running some queries using a form I created and for some strange reason some people are falling off and coming back to the report when I run the queries and then re-run them immidiately after. I am not changing any of my parameters and the data is not changing in the tables I am linked to. Can you help? I am using Access 2003. I have several different queries running as make table queries from Foxpro database linked tables. Within these queries I have one query that has a parameter set for "Married Date" What this does is prompt the user to enter a start date an...

Changing image on a toolbar
Hi, I currently have a Toolbar which is associated with a bitmap of all the images for the buttons. I also have a new set of icons I wish to use to replace the outdated ones I am using. Is there a way that I can associate my icons with the individual buttons of my toolbar, or will I need to convert my new icons into bitmaps and redraw my bitmap for the toolbar? TIA Tony On Dec 3, 10:03 am, "Tony" <lazyherb...@homeandresting.com> wrote: > Hi, > > I currently have a Toolbar which is associated with a bitmap of all the > images for the buttons. > > I a...

how do i change currency value into words automatically
Please let me know how i can change $456 to Four Hundred and Fifty Six dollars automatically in Excel. See http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.xlFAQ0004.html -- HTH Bob Phillips (remove nothere from email address if mailing direct) "Richie" <Richie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7D50E7C2-47C2-4B66-8D26-CB1BA9FD5801@microsoft.com... > Please let me know how i can change $456 to Four Hundred and Fifty Six > dollars automatically in Excel. ...

Change Due Dates on Open Receivables
We just updated our customer cards with new due dates. We want to restate the open receivables with the new due date on each transaction. I know I can do this by editing individual transactions (Transactions>>Sales>>Edit Transaction Information), but there's a high volume of transactions. Can I do this using Int. Mgr. or a SQL script? It would be easier and safer to write a Crystal ageing report using the doc date and the terms from the customer cards. Then, in a few months when only a few of the original transactions remain unpaid...... -- Richard L. Whaley Autho...

having trouble making property pages reflect change in font
Hi All; I have an application that has a dialog. it was created in VS6 using C++. the Dialog contains a property sheet/status window pair and a property sheet with multiple property pages. using the resource editor i changed all the fonts in the dialog and property pages. however when i run the app only the status window shows the new font. i have attempted to pass the property sheet the font from the dialog using: GetFont()->GetLogFont( &fFont); fParentFont.CreateFontIndirect(&fFont); m_FMSPresetsPropertySheet->SetFont(&fParentFont); i then called : m_FMSPreset...

Protecting Workbook Data
How can I let other users view and print a whole workbook but not make any changes to the workbook? I have been successful applying this to one sheet but have been unsuccessful at applying it to an entire workbook. You'd have to apply sheet protection to each sheet individually. A macro can make that easier: Sub a() Dim WS As Worksheet For Each WS In Worksheets WS.Protect Next End Sub -- Jim Rech Excel MVP ...

How do I change chart data to display by rows in 97?
How do I change chart data to display by rows in 97? Right click on chart....select source data and then select "Series i Row -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

Font changes
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Email Client: imap When I compose in word or pages and then copy to entourage the font automatically converts to Times Roman- how can I leave the font in the selected format eg calibri? I have calibri set in entourage preferences. ...

Colors changing when printing a newsletter from blue to magenta
Hi When printing a newsletter in Publisher 2003 I am experiencing frequent changes in the color of fonts or backgrounds of images from blue to purple. This is an intermittent problem but frequent issue. When I print the newsletter in Word no changes occur. Happens with a HP color laser and also with Ricoh color laser. For instance the orginal background color for a flowchart in a powerpoint created image will often change from medium blue to magenta or light purple. This also happens in screen shots of our software reports when seen in a browser. This is similar to how a browser link ch...