Pretty simple question

Hello

I use Excel 97 in work. I have a frustrating problem.

If I have two Excel workbooks open then, in order to switch between them, I
have to go to the menu bar and select <Window> and then the appropriate
workbook.

I am used to Excel 2000 where I can just click the workboook 'icons / tabs'
along the bottom of my screen. This is far better.

How can I change Excel 97 to allow the open workbooks to display as
icons/tabs along the bottom of the screen (as is standard these days).

Please help lower my blood pressure...

Regards

Alex
0
Alex4922 (316)

Alex, I don't think that was an option in '97, you could use the keyboard
shortcut Ctrl+tab to switch between the open workbooks

--
Paul B
Using Excel 2002 & 2003

"Alex" <Alex@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello
>
> I use Excel 97 in work. I have a frustrating problem.
>
> If I have two Excel workbooks open then, in order to switch between them,
> have to go to the menu bar and select <Window> and then the appropriate
> workbook.
>
> I am used to Excel 2000 where I can just click the workboook 'icons /
tabs'
> along the bottom of my screen. This is far better.
>
> How can I change Excel 97 to allow the open workbooks to display as
> icons/tabs along the bottom of the screen (as is standard these days).
>
> Please help lower my blood pressure...
>
> Regards
>

> Alex

Good morning Alex

The short answer is, you can't.  This feature was introduced in XL2000
If you want to cycle through your open worksheets rapidly, use thi
keyboard shortcut:

CTRL + Shift + F6

HTH

Dominic

--
dominic
dominicb's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1893

Excel 97 does not have that feature.  That feature wasn't available until
Excel 2000.

Me personally, I hate Excel 97 as it's way to unstable, even with the SR-2
patch.  I rather use Lotus 1-2-3, v 2.3 than to use Excel 97.  However,
Excel 2000 resolved a lot of issues that I hated about Excel 97.  Here's 2
of the biggest issues that I had with Excel 97:

When I took one range divide by another range (I.e. Total Cost divide by
Total Quantity in a record format), and those ranges exceeded 25 cells each,
it would return the result of "1/0".

Another major issue that I had with Excel 97 was the Legend on the charts
would gradually move from where ever I had originally set it to be at all
the way to the top middle position of the chart for each time the numbers
that impacted the chart were manipulated (in this case production numbers),
printed, and saved.  I ended up submitting a web help ticket on this.  I
ended up submitting the text of my macro to them, so as they could figure it
out.  They confirmed this to be a bug in Excel, said it was fixed in 2000,
and I asked them if it would be fixed in 97.  They basically said no, it
wouldn't be fixed in 97, but what they did was sent me Office 2000 as a fix
to the bug, when Office 97 was still being supported.  Don't expect this
from them as Office 97 is no longer supported by MS.

Once I got Office 2000 and installed it after removing Office 97 from the
system, and not even changing one single thing, my production reports on the
Excel side of things ran 3 times faster, and that's no joke as prior to the
version change, it took the Excel side 1.5 hours to run, even with it in
manual calculation mode and the code calculating based on sheet by sheet.
After the version change, it only took 30 minutes to run that same set of
codes on the same computer, and no hardware spec change on the computer.

Also, if you have some computers with Office 97, and others with Office
2000, you may run into issues of code running in Office 97.  That's cause
with Office 2000, the compilation of code has been changed so dramatically
that I have had some older code of Office 97, which then was used in Office
2000, and when it was to be used in Office 97 again, the code didn't run as
was expected.  The main reason I got was due to this major compilation
change that took place.

Now for Office 2000, Office XP, and Office 2003, I can't say there's that
much of a difference between the 3 versions, but there is a far cry
difference between Office 97 and Office 2000.

For Access, there's some issues that I have had to deal with in Office 2000,
and those same issues has not been addressed even as late as Office 2003.
However, that's another application, and not for this newsgroup.  I only
mentioned as another indicator that there's not much difference between
Office 2000 and Office 2003.  The MSQuery within Excel don't work worth
anything as it caused my programs to crash due to memory leaks, so I don't
even bother with MSQuery, not to mention that it has never worked out all
that great anyhow, so as far as that part of Excel is concerned, in my
opinion, it's very unstable.  I use macros instead and avoid the ADO stuff
within the Excel macro world as that causes memory leaks as well.

--
Ronald R. Dodge, Jr.
Production Statistician

"Alex" <Alex@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello
>
> I use Excel 97 in work. I have a frustrating problem.
>
> If I have two Excel workbooks open then, in order to switch between them,
> have to go to the menu bar and select <Window> and then the appropriate
> workbook.
>
> I am used to Excel 2000 where I can just click the workboook 'icons /
tabs'
> along the bottom of my screen. This is far better.
>
> How can I change Excel 97 to allow the open workbooks to display as
> icons/tabs along the bottom of the screen (as is standard these days).
>
> Please help lower my blood pressure...
>
> Regards
>

> Alex

I need a simple lesson in archiving my email
I use Outlook 2003 and my mailboxes are too large but I need to keep most of these messages. I would like them to be archived to still remain on Outlook in an Archive folder. Is this possible and how do I accomplish this? I have done searches to avoid posting here but cannot seem to find a reasonable way to archive these folders - not the entire Inbox, but sub-folders. Thanks! Archive away, any & all Within OL, File>Open>Data File.....browse to your archive The Archive is just another data file, like your default pst "Terri" <terri@mylanusa.com> wrote in messa...

Pretty print XML?
I am sure this has been asked enough to warrant an FAQ but I could not find it. Does anyone have some code and maybe an XSLT stylesheet that would allow me to transform an XML string to a "pretty" version (nodes indented on separate lines, etc.)? Thank you for your help. Kevin Kevin Burton wrote: > I am sure this has been asked enough to warrant an FAQ but I could not > find it. > > Does anyone have some code and maybe an XSLT stylesheet that would allow > me to transform an XML string to a "pretty" version (nodes indented on > separate lines, et...

Formula question -simple for those who know
Hello I'm trying to add a number that was calculated by means of a formula in one column to the sum of a different column. Example: Column A (running balance) Column B (sum) =+e5+c6-d6 =sum(h1:h8) Col A's number is running balance. I copied the formula down so that the next row changes the formula to =+e6=c7-d7 I want that running balance to add to a sum in another column. I can add the first cell to it, but it doesn't change if the running balance changes. I know that is because it's pointing to that single...

Pretty simple question
Hello I use Excel 97 in work. I have a frustrating problem. If I have two Excel workbooks open then, in order to switch between them, I have to go to the menu bar and select <Window> and then the appropriate workbook. I am used to Excel 2000 where I can just click the workboook 'icons / tabs' along the bottom of my screen. This is far better. How can I change Excel 97 to allow the open workbooks to display as icons/tabs along the bottom of the screen (as is standard these days). Please help lower my blood pressure... Regards Alex Alex, I don't think that was an ...

Chart Question #2
Is there a way to show the differance between two data serires as a lable? ...

My first question!
Hi.... I posted this earlier before it vanished of the first page! Is it always this busy here?? :) Anyone mind if I re-post it here?........................................................ .............. Hi, can anyone help me with the following question- it would be much appreciated! Use the 'Goal seek' option on the 'Data' menu to find the value of cell A1 in the following formula - =sum(A1+A2+A3+A4+33*(sqrt(200))) - where A2=22, A3=3 and A4=7? 1. -23 2. -200 3. -259.69 4. -2 its either 1, 2 3, or 4! Im totally stumped! :-9 Like I said with the other question I a...

Stupid registration question
When I initially installed Office 2004 on my Mac, I made a typo in my address, spelling "University" as "Universwity". Now on the "About PowerPoint" kinds of screens, I see this, and presumably, this is in MS's records as well. How do I correct this? JEH Try Preferences, User Information. On 4/27/05 4:45 PM, "jharlow@mail.com" wrote: > When I initially installed Office 2004 on my Mac, I made a typo in my > address, spelling "University" as "Universwity". Now on the "About > PowerPoint" kinds of screen...

ADC question #2
ADC is installed an is doing its synch. BUt when i create a test account in AD , it wont create mailbox in mail 5.5 by itself... is this right SO is with creation of a security group in AD, wont create distro in exchnage ?? i am yet to install first exchange 2003 any suggestions. ( objects wchih got replicated from exchange to AD and vise vera, if i change their attribute,, they get replcated fine ) ...

Simple Formula Question
hi, I have the following simple formula: =A61*E61 I need to know how I can highlight a block of cells - Let's say row 62-86 and have that formula update itself to reflect each row number (A column & E column remain throughout only the numbers of the row change) Hope that made sense. I know it's a simple proceedure I just can' remember how to do it. Your help would be greatly appreciated as I' really up against a deadline. Thanks!! : -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com just copy the formula for all rows. Excel will change the formula accordingly Frank ...

A simple question requiring a simple answer
When typing in a cell how do I get the text to drop down a line yet stay in the same cell? ie. In word you hit enter and the cursor drops to the next line. In excel you hit enter and the next cell is selected. -- Pedros ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Pedros's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=28202 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=562306 Pedros, use Alt+enter to get a new line in the same cell -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post...

Physical Inventory Question
We are importing our physical inventory through the wizard. However, we have a couple of SKU's with negative inventory that are acting strange. This is example shows the "Counted" as the Physical Inventory count on the screen, whereas the "Actual" is the imported quantity from the file. Why would the "Counted" show 11, it should show 6. I have other items in this import that are showing up correctly. HELP!!! Here's a couple examples: ILC OnHand Counted Actual 453-400 -5 11 6 6...

Sum Product Question
Why does =SUMPRODUCT(--(D25:D3000="reds")*(G25:G3000="x"),(M25:M3000)) work but =SUMPRODUCT(--(D25:D3000="reds"),(G25:G3000="x"),(M25:M3000)) doesn't? Try it this way: =3DSUMPRODUCT(--(D25:D3000=3D"reds"),--(G25:G3000=3D"x"),(M25:M3000)) The double unary minus converts the Trues and Falses to 1s and 0 respectively, but in your second example the second term did not have this operation. Hope this helps. Pete On Aug 6, 2:39=A0pm, JimS <jim...@msn.com> wrote: > Why does > > =3DSUMPRODUCT(--(D25:D3000=3D"...

Licensing Question for Dev Environment
Hi all, We have just implemented a production environment for CRM 3.0 and would like to have the same implementation on Dev. Any idea if this is allowed under the licensing agreement? Please advise. Thanks. ...

Simple question #3
Hi Folks - On my computer I have a folder that contains all my songs and I now want to catalogue these to ease finding etc. etc. Simple question - how can I copy the song titles over to an Excel spreadsheet. I've tried copy/paste etc and paste special but an error message appears stating the file is a 'SYLK file' . I appreciate that Excel will see this file as an MP3 etc and can not place it but all I want is the title ? HELP - I need somebody. I have a 'few' songs and don't want to have to type out every song title myself. Anyone know of an easier way to tran...

Exprofre question
I need to migrate an Exchange 5.5 server/organization to Exchange 2003. Some work has already been done, which brings me in unfamiliar places. A completely new 2003 organization has been made and the idea was to exmerge all data out of the 5.5 server and import it into the 2003 mailboxes. This seems to work fine but it also implies that all clients have to be manually updated with a new Outlook profile. So, in my search for a more automated way to do this, I found exprofre.exe, a Microsoft tool to update Outlook profiles after moving mailboxes. The tool exits with error: "The users mail...

attributes and simple types- the simple made difficult
I want to do something like <distance units="inches">15.0</distance> for validation reasons, I want to put a facet on the value so it can't be negative. To include an attribute, the schema editor forces me to have a complex type. How then do I apply the facet? The .net schema editor wants to do something like element distance (distance) distance attribute units string At this point I don't see how I can put the restriction (facet) on the element value. The editor wants to force me to put in something on the next line (group/ attribute/element/etc.) Thi...

Entries in range that meet simple condition
I know this must be simple. But I simply cannot find information as to what I really want to do. We are talking about a VBA macro. I have single column range. (It is non-contiguous, 5 block of 10 rows. I'm not sure it matters.) I would like to search that range for entries where the offset(0,1) contains a value of 500 or greater. This for finding scouts that have sold $500+. I would like the results returned as a range or an array. Ultimately what will happen is that the results lookup will be transposed to a two-columnar form created by BSA. That range will be propagated by scrol...

Date Question
I would appreciate some help coming up with this solution... I am working with the following fields, and the Data Type is: Date/Time RegWorkDate RegWorkStart RegWorkEnd OTWorkDate OTWorkStart OTWorkEnd I need to ensure that the OT data does not fall within the same date and times as the RegWork data. For example: If someone works regular hours on 01/01/2008 from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., then the OTWorkDate + the OTWorkStart AND OTWorkEnd cannot fall within those times. Thank you in advance for your assistance. Rick This query will find overlap --- SELECT Rick_C.EmpCode, Rick_C....

Excell Question
Is it possible to increase the character limit for an excel custom footer? In the alternative, can a line be set to repeat at the bottom of every page? Any assistance would be appreciated. ...

Email question
Is it possible with Exchange 2003 to: Set up an email "support@company.com" and only allow a list of domains (ie. customer's domains) to send to it? In news:1150479159.476762.249680@p79g2000cwp.googlegroups.com, John <duckdive@yahoo.com> typed: > Is it possible with Exchange 2003 to: > > Set up an email "support@company.com" and only allow a list of domains > (ie. customer's domains) to send to it? No; I don't believe so. You can specify which AD mail-enabled objects can send mail to it, but I don't think you can control external sen...

ms office 2003 update question
Hi all-- I have MS Office Professional 2003 installed on my computer, and I NEVER receive any update notifications. I know they are out there, because I get them at work all the time. Running XP, SP3, with all updates. How do I get notifications for updates to install. (I have a legitimate copy of Office). It's not a very safe world out there. Jim Do you have MSUpdate, which provides Critical updates for MS Software, or are you still using Windows Update which gives only Win Critical updates? And then if update is set to auto install you are not going to see any rem...

Security question about modifying Contacts
We're in Win2k3/Ex3k3 native mode (all the latest service packs and updates). A member of my team is trying to add a secondary SMTP address to a few Contact objects in AD. I can do it no problem when i'm logged in (i'm a domain admin with full Exchange Admin rights), however when he's logged in and tries it on the exact same Contacts, he gets the following error message: There is no such object on the server. Facility: Win32 ID no: c0072030 Microsoft Active Directory - Exchange Extension I can't find anything relevant to this situation on TechNet when i look up &q...

How do I stop Excel from changing simple numbers to their 1/100th.
I'm working with the latest service pack of Excel 2000. Every number I enter into any blank cell becomes that number's 100th decimal value. For example, typing "2" in a cell results in "0.02" when I leave the cell. This did not used to happen, but I don't know what I did to make it happen, nor what to do to stop it from happening. CC hi goto 'Tools - Options - Edit' and uncheck 'Fixed decimals' -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Chris C wrote: > I'm working with the latest service pack of Excel 2000. > Every number I ente...

Budget Forecast question
Hi - I've just started using Money 2000 and I've set up a Budget. My question is that in the Budget Forecast graph that I can display, I want to know how to verify that my Budget is valid. If I hover over the first bar in the Forecast (My graph is set to show 'days' as a level of detail) I see 2 figures - one for Day-to-Day Accounts and one for Occasional Expense Fund. If I add these figures together I get a total. What can I check this total against? I've tried looking at the current balances in my accounts and looking at the expenses I have set in my Budget but ...

Hello, question about software assurance and Office 2008
Does anyone know when Mac Office 2008 will be available for those who have software assurance? I've seen many posts claiming the date is Feb 1st. I have yet to receive any feedback from my retailer. Thanks in advance for any help. No, we don't. Ring your account manager :-) On 11/01/08 6:57 AM, in article c0e5e9b3-9f54-4f57-94da-eaf8192d1ff6@h11g2000prf.googlegroups.com, "jerry.kowalewski@gmail.com" <jerry.kowalewski@gmail.com> wrote: > Does anyone know when Mac Office 2008 will be available for those who > have software assurance? I've seen many posts c...