PivotTable question - date format #2

Thanks Debra,

For some reason when on that Date field button in the
Pivot table & choose the  Group & Show Detail > Group
I get a "Cannot group that selection" pop up message.

I'll give the other tips a shot, I'm sure those will work.
thanks again

--
-= cj =
-= cj =-'s Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1467

If the date column contains text, or blank cells, you'll see that
message. Maybe you included some blank rows at the end of the source
data range.

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

0
dsd1 (5911)

PivotTable
Hi, Is it possible in some way to fix the structure of a pivot table in excel or even in Access so that I have a familiar layout even though the data may vary from differences in the data. By implication, thefore to show empty colums/rows somehow. This is very important to my situation. I couldn't think of any way of changing the format of the pivet tables. However to solve your problem, you could have your own format in a different sheet (within the same file) and link the pivet table using VLOOKUP( formula to get the numbers to the right place. You could use refresh data to upda...

pivottables
hi, I created a pivot from a dataset. This was no problem at all. In a later stadium I changed the recordset where the pivottable is based on. For example i replaced all the records containing pete into mike in the column <NAME>. When refreshing the pivot it now contains both mike and pete. Pete is redundant, because i no longer exists. How do I get rid of it?. lennie Hi Just drag the field out of the Pivot Table, then do a Refresh, then drag it back again -- Regards Roger Govier "lennert" <lennertpronk@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1140180768.525075.3081...

Does anyone know the PivotTable Refresh Event? #2
Thank you Debra it worked fine for me -- JohnD'Eli ----------------------------------------------------------------------- JohnD'Elia's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1531 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26930 You're welcome. Thanks for letting me know that it worked. JohnD'Elia wrote: > Thank you Debra it worked fine for me. > > -- Debra Dalgleish Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html ...

Sumif Format Equals
I have both dates and currency in the same column. How do I sum the column based on format of the cell? Specifically, how do I sumif only the cells containing currency? Hi, You could try this. This formula would work if the currency has been formatted via Format > Cells > Currency In cell L14, type =CELL("format",K14) and copy down till L150. This assumes that the first entry is in cell K14. Now in any blank cell, type =SUMIF(L14:L150,"C*",K14:K150) Please note that if any entry changes in range K14:K150, you will have to go to the formula ...

Journal Entry Number Format GP9
Can i change the journal entry number format options? this is what i wanto to approach, The company im working now, wants to have a control number for all journal entries by setting up a journal entry number format for example en the month of january they want to have as follows 01010000 this will be the journal entry number displayed on the window then 01 means month, the following 01 means the day and the remaining 0000 are the transaction sequence for the day. so that january 02 will be 01020000 and if we created 345 journal entries in august 27th the number is 08270345. Is it possible...

How do I add new data to a pivottable/chart?
I have a spreadsheet that I add new data to weekly. Is there a way to have the pivottables/charts refresh to include this data without recreating them? If I try to do extend the range of cells used to create them originally, I am unable to group dates (which I need to do) on the chart because of blank cells. You can use a dynamic range as the pivot table source, and it will automatically expand as rows or columns are added. There are instructions here: http://www.contextures.com/xlNames01.html When you refresh the pivot table, all the new data will be included. Brian Lee wr...

formatting tables
Hi, I am using Publisher 2002, using a booklet format and using tables to create an address booklet. Is it possible to create a table that will overflow from one page into the next automatically? I need to have the option of easily adding or deleting cells as new members join our organization. I don't know why this is seeming so difficult to do, I must be not getting something. Please help! Andrea Andrea you cannot create a Table that will flow from one page to the next. I would seriously recommend against using a Table for an Address Book. This can be easily done a better way. I...

PivotTable data...
How do I use more than one Summary function for a PivotTable data field? In the Pivot Wizard, add another copy of the field to the data area Double-click on the new field, and under 'Summarize by', choose one of the functions. SkoolGirl wrote: > How do I use more than one Summary function for a PivotTable data field? -- Debra Dalgleish Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html ...

out of memory #2
trying to do a mail merge into a postacard format keep getting out of memory, have 1 gb ram What version Publisher? PUB2000: Error: "There is Not Enough Memory to Complete This Operation" Opening Merged Publication http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;236916 Might refresh your MDAC components. http://msdn.microsoft.com/data/ Click on MDAC 2.8 on the right pane. -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "bob" <bob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4FB82300-1F1B-4ACE-BD7...

AppendMenu question
Hi, I'm trying to add to existing button menu new item and have some problems, I can modify menu item (below) but cannot append. What I'm doing wrong? CMenu Menu; Menu.Attach(m_btn.m_hMenu); Menu.AppendMenu(MF_STRING, ID_TOOLS_LANGUAGE, _T("EN")); //doesn't work Menu.ModifyMenu(ID_TOOLS_COUNTRY, MF_BYCOMMAND, ID_TOOLS_COUNTRY, _T("US")); //works Menu.Detach(); thanks >I'm trying to add to existing button menu new item >and have some problems, I can modify menu >item (below) but cannot append. What I'm doing wrong? Does AppendMenu fail ...

Billable time reports #2
I am very new to this CRM product, but am desperately trying to create a report just showing cases and amount of billable time spent on them. I have read the threads and it should be easy but I cant even find the billed time field! I also note that someone states that CRM automatically calculates all time spent on the case but where is this shown? Sorry for being a CRM virgin! ...

#REF,ISERROR, File Not Found question.
I have an annual summary sheet that links to 365 separate daily report sheets. These daily sheets are being created automatically once per day. I use the following formula for the February 1 2005 cell: =IF(ISERROR('C:\reports\daily_2005\[DAILY_FEB01.xls]Report'!R20C16)=TRUE,"",'C:\reports\daily_2005\[DAILY_FEB01.xls]Report'!R20C16) This works, but of course the rest of the files for 2005 don't exist yet. What I want is to be able to open the annual spreadsheet up every day, and say 'YES' to the 'update links to other spreadsheets' question, a...

Beginner question
I am creating a query that counts how many times each classification is being used in our organization. But, I need it to pull up only the classifications that have a person in them. Here's how it looks now: Column 1: Field = Classification; Table = pos info; Total = Group By Column 2: Field = Class Code; Talbe = pos info; Total = Group By Column 3: Field = Count Of Classification: Count(*); Total = Expression I need it to pull up the Classifications that, within each same record, the field "IncumbentLast" Is Not Null. ...

Rules and Alerts #2
I am using Outlook 2003 with an Exchange Server. When I attempt to open "Rules and Alerts", the dialog box flashes briefly on the screen and then disapears. I was able to open Rules and Alerts in the past. I have not notices any problems wiht any other Outlook item. Can you open it succesfully from another computer? If not your rules might became corrupted. Start Outlook with the /cleanrules switch to remove all the rules. -- Roady [MVP] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -Setting Permissions on a Mailbox -Create an Office XP CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 3 ----- &...

blocking senders #2
I'm considering switching to Outlook (Office XP) from OE for my e-mail. OE had an option of blocking senders based on their domain, but I can't find that in Outlook. The only thing Outlook gives me is the option of blocking by the display name or address. For example I want to be able to block everything from @internet.ch not just oiurwfgohgrh@internet.ch (or better yet everything from .ch). I can't even find a way to make outlook display the senders real address instead of a name or how to find the full header, properties & source of a message. -- Bill Mitchell To block a...

HOT investment tip, can you afford not to? #2
www.belgianpokermob.eu $200 added freeroll TODAY @ 15.00EST $200 added freeroll TODAY @ 17.00EST $200 added freeroll SUNDAY @ 15.00EST also on our site Limited $50 new player sponsorships available just a few Hrs now!! $10 Free no deposit needed!! Open 4 all !! FREE league with in JUNE 3WSOP seats to be won!!! FREE League in JULI $2500 cash + 2x EPT seats!! FREE POKER-BOOZE CRUISE in --->IBIZA (starts Juli 1st) $25-$200 Sponsorships (stats linked) August 2006 FREE pokerschool/News/Intervieuws...... give us a CLICK www.belgianpokermob.eu ...

Question about some addons
Has anyone had any experience with Catalog View and PIC-ME 2.0 from Retail Hero? We've used some of their other addons and love them, but I just want to make sure they're what the store needs before we purchase them. I'm the IT manager for a store that is interesting in these addons and wondering if anyone has used them and has any feedback on them that I can bring back to the store manager. Thanks in advance, David ...

Text formatting in cells
Is it possible to have several paragraphs within one cell - when you press enter you are taken to next cell so the normal text breaks can't be made. -- Anne McGuiness ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Anne McGuiness's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=25175 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=386683 Instead of pressing enter, press Alt + Enter Mangesh -- mangesh_yadav ------------------------------------------------------------------------ mangesh_yadav's Profile:...

syncing with phone #2
How do i get my contacts and calendar from my exisiting phone onto a new computer with outlook? My computer says I am sucessfully syncing, but no info is being added to outlook except e-mail. The settings are set for calendar and contacts to sync as well as e-mail. Thank you! What are your sync settings in ActiveSync? Do you have it set for a 2 way sync or not? -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. ALWAYS post your Outlook version. How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375 After furious head scratching, G...

Deleting Reports in 1.2
I once received a toolkit to delete reports for the 1.0 system, and it worked fine. But now after upgrading to 1.2, I can't seem to delete reports using this same utility. Anyone know if there is a new tool we need to get for 1.2? thx, Gary Hi Gary, CRM 1.2 uses Crystal 9, not 8.5. Maybe you need a new tool. I'm deleting/updating/adding reports on CRM 1.2 in a few days, so if you don't find an answer, I'll post more info as I find out what's needed. Mike "Gary" <gary.rey@virtium.com> wrote in message news:%23x%23mPvE4DHA.2528@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl....

SUMIF question
I have the following formula to calculate some numeric data: =SUMIF(F6:F27,F5,S6:S27) (this is in cell S5) the qualifying code is in column F and the numeric data to sum is in column S Problem. When I insert a row just below row 5, the formula in S5 changes to: =SUMIF(F7:F27,F5,S7:S27) I will be adding data to the new row6 and I need it to become a part of the calculation. I need the formula to remain F6: and S6: Peo Sjoblom gave me this fix: =SUMIF(INDIRECT("F6:F27"),F5,INDIRECT("S6:S27")) I can't use it. Here is a further explanation: I have criteria that ...

C++ question #3
I was just going thru some changes in my code and need to write some thing like this try{ //some code //if error return } catch{} I had a doubt using return statement in my try block...what impact will it have... skasat@gmail.com wrote: > I was just going thru some changes in my code and need to write some > thing like this > > try{ > //some code > //if error > return > } > > catch{} > > I had a doubt using return statement in my try block...what impact will > it have... Of course, the reason for putting 'some code' in a 'try is bec...

ms money 2002 #2
I'd like to know if there is any way to change the date setup from dd/mm/yyyy to yyyy/mm/dd . thanks This is done from the Windows Control Panel under Regional & Language settings. Depending on your version of Windows, go to Control Panel-->Regional & Language Options --> Customize. Under the Date tab, choose the Shorth Date format that corresponds with what you want. Apply and close. Money should reflect the now system wide format for short dates. Note, however, this may and probably will have implications if you download any financial transactions from your ban...

pivottable
Dear all, Is there anybody how knows what the shortcut is to deselect fields in a pivottable? (I have a pivottable with 1000 possiblities for a field, but I only need some of them) Best regards, Jan Excel 2002 has a Show All checkbox to show or hide items in a field. For earlier versions, you can use code. There are examples here: http://www.contextures.com/xlPivot03.html Jan wrote: > Is there anybody how knows what the shortcut is to deselect fields in a > pivottable? (I have a pivottable with 1000 possiblities for a field, but I > only need some of them) -- Debra Dalg...

Theoretical question.
I just had a theoretical question: Say someone bought a computer from a store. It had windows xp on it. Is there a way to tell if it was an original version of XP on the system, or if the store just used an upgrade from Windows ME? Would this pose a problem in any way? That customer would not be recommened to use another upgrade for Windows Vista after that or Windows 7 is what I'v been told. =?Utf-8?B?QnJpYW4gVg==?= <BrianV@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in news:65BDB4ED-E7A8-44ED-9189-322F972CE4E7@microsoft.com: > I just had a theoretical question: > ...