Pivot Tables: Subtotal only certain columns?

I'm new to pivot tables and really like them, using one could help me greatly
simlplify some reporting I do, however I cannot figure out how to show
subtotals only on certain columns, it appears to be all or nothing.  Showing
them results in some non-sense garbage on my reports that I cannot have.  I
think this is my last hurdle to actually using pivot tables and hope there is
a way to remedy this.

Visit www.ExcelGoodies.Com
0
herochenna (62)
12/16/2009 4:37:53 PM
Can you post an example of what you are getting and what you want...
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"Robbro" wrote:

> I'm new to pivot tables and really like them, using one could help me greatly
> simlplify some reporting I do, however I cannot figure out how to show
> subtotals only on certain columns, it appears to be all or nothing.  Showing
> them results in some non-sense garbage on my reports that I cannot have.  I
> think this is my last hurdle to actually using pivot tables and hope there is
> a way to remedy this.
 Basically its a report of products by plant and packing code with a number
of columns detailing sales, costs and such.  Some #'s are in absolutes (lbs
sold, $'s sales etc...) and some are in per lb (price per lb, mat's per lb
etc...). The absolutes need sub totals, the per lb #'s are just nonsense when
totalled, averaged or any other operation I can use from within a pivot
table.  They need to be there for information, but no summary information
needs to be in place for those columns, only for the absolute # columns.  For
example

lbs sold       $ sales     $/lb       cost/lb    gross margin/lb     total
gross margin
subtotal       subtotal    no sub   no sub   no sub                   subtotal

Theres a lot more info on the report than what I put above, but that should
give you the idea of what I need it to do.
"Jim Thomlinson" wrote:

> Can you post an example of what you are getting and what you want...
> --
> HTH...
>
> Jim Thomlinson
>

> "Robbro" wrote:
>
> > I'm new to pivot tables and really like them, using one could help me greatly
> > simlplify some reporting I do, however I cannot figure out how to show
> > subtotals only on certain columns, it appears to be all or nothing.  Showing
> > them results in some non-sense garbage on my reports that I cannot have.  I
> > think this is my last hurdle to actually using pivot tables and hope there is
> > a way to remedy this.
For any column you don't want subtotaled, right-click the field header and
then select "Field Settings" from the drop-down.  Then, on the "Subtotals &
Filters" tab, change the 'Subtotals' from "Automatic" to "None."  Do this for
any and all fields you don't want to be subtotaled, and you should achieve
your goal.

Jeff

"Robbro" wrote:

> I'm new to pivot tables and really like them, using one could help me greatly
> simlplify some reporting I do, however I cannot figure out how to show
> subtotals only on certain columns, it appears to be all or nothing.  Showing
> them results in some non-sense garbage on my reports that I cannot have.  I
> think this is my last hurdle to actually using pivot tables and hope there is
> a way to remedy this.
Guess I should have mentioned I'm on Office 07 if that matters.  When I right
click on a field header the closest option I have is "Value Field Settings".
The only 2 tabs under that option are "Summarize By" and "Show Values As".
Any other place that I disable Subtotals from disables them for the entire
table, not just that one column.

"jb_tenor1" wrote:

> For any column you don't want subtotaled, right-click the field header and
> then select "Field Settings" from the drop-down.  Then, on the "Subtotals &
> Filters" tab, change the 'Subtotals' from "Automatic" to "None."  Do this for
> any and all fields you don't want to be subtotaled, and you should achieve
> your goal.
>
> Jeff
>

> "Robbro" wrote:
>
> > I'm new to pivot tables and really like them, using one could help me greatly
> > simlplify some reporting I do, however I cannot figure out how to show
> > subtotals only on certain columns, it appears to be all or nothing.  Showing
> > them results in some non-sense garbage on my reports that I cannot have.  I
> > think this is my last hurdle to actually using pivot tables and hope there is
> > a way to remedy this.
Pivot tables aggregate. That is what they do. While there are some options on
subtotaling there is nothing in what you have that will allow you to suppress
the subtotals... That being said what you can do is use conditional formats
on those columns. Essentially if the right 5 characters of the text in column
A are "total" then change the font colour to match the background. I have
used that successfully in the past. The only issue is if you add or delete
columns from the pivot the CFs do not move with them so get your columns
worked out before adding the CF's...

In column C add this CF
Formula
=right(A1, 5) = "Total"
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"Robbro" wrote:

>  Basically its a report of products by plant and packing code with a number
> of columns detailing sales, costs and such.  Some #'s are in absolutes (lbs
> sold, $'s sales etc...) and some are in per lb (price per lb, mat's per lb
> etc...). The absolutes need sub totals, the per lb #'s are just nonsense when
> totalled, averaged or any other operation I can use from within a pivot
> table.  They need to be there for information, but no summary information
> needs to be in place for those columns, only for the absolute # columns.  For
> example
>
> lbs sold       $ sales     $/lb       cost/lb    gross margin/lb     total
> gross margin
> subtotal       subtotal    no sub   no sub   no sub                   subtotal
>

> Theres a lot more info on the report than what I put above, but that should
> give you the idea of what I need it to do.
> "Jim Thomlinson" wrote:
>
> > Can you post an example of what you are getting and what you want...
> > --
> > HTH...
> >
> > Jim Thomlinson
> >

> > "Robbro" wrote:
> >
> > > I'm new to pivot tables and really like them, using one could help me greatly
> > > simlplify some reporting I do, however I cannot figure out how to show
> > > subtotals only on certain columns, it appears to be all or nothing.  Showing
> > > them results in some non-sense garbage on my reports that I cannot have.  I
> > > think this is my last hurdle to actually using pivot tables and hope there is
> > > a way to remedy this.

Pivot Tables #4

Pivot Table Counting

Pivot Tables

Help comparing 2 columns..
I have two coloumns of numbers, which i need to compare. The Excel document should come out with 3310 as a result in coloumn 3 (see exsample). Can someone help me? I am dont know anything about VB programming in Excel, so I hope someone can find a solution without any programming. example: Coloumn 1 2211 5510 2210 9952 Coloumn 2 2211 5510 3310 2210 9952 Sample: With Range A1:A4 named "Rge1" ' equal to your Column 1 data. and with your existing data in Column 2 - Cells B1:B5 In cell C1 enter: =IF(COUNTIF(Rge1,B1),"",B1) and copy down. Column C should reflect a...

Comparing data between two columns
I have a worksheet with two columns that I need to compare data between. I need to see what is different between one column and the next. There are number and letter values in the column and about 180+ rows. The information is scattered throughout the cells so there is no way to filter and check row by row. The columns look like this: July April MP123456789 MP555555559 MP987654321 MP666 H1258 MP789456123 MP00000 H89 MP987123654 MP123456789 I need something that would tell me that all of the above valu...

Pivot Chart Formatting #5

join multiple pivot tables?

Sum column using 2 other columns as criteria
My table has 3 columns: A, B, and C. C has all numeric values. I want to SUM values in C for all rows where value in A equals "a" and value in B equals "b". Can anyone tell me a formula construct for this? Thanks! =SUMPRODUCT((A1:A14="a")*(B1:B14="b")*(C1:C14)) Adjust the range as required Regards Trevor "Hall" <hall@garp.org> wrote in message news:OAg8KWkfHHA.588@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > My table has 3 columns: A, B, and C. C has all numeric values. > > I want to SUM values in C for all rows where value in A equ...

Help with pivot table

Using formulas for pivot table

Hyperlink in Pivot Table

chart options show data table
Currently using 2 workbooks to produce 1 chart - the source data in workbook 1 and the chart in workbook 2. We also are using the "show data table" option to most easily view all values in the chart. We would like this data to keep it's currency format to best reflect the values in the chart; however, the data table loses this formatting when we close workbook 1. Is there any way to hang onto this formatting after the workbook is closed? Data tables in charts are not particularly flexible or capable. You combine the workbooks. Alternatively, put a table in the chart's...

Flowcharting Table relations
Hey guys and girls. New one for you. I am doing an IT audit of Great Plains and need to flowchart how the data files are related to each other. In other words, how does one file feed into another file, and what field or fields in a particular table is used to relate/link to another table. Does anyone where I can find such information? Thanks Check out the Great Plains SDK available on the installation CDs. There are several diagrams that describe table relationships. Also, there are module documents that contain posting flowcharts. Regards, Kevin Rood Corporate Software Consultants...

Pivot Tables #40
Does anyone know if there is a way to quickly clear a field list? I can't find a keyboard shortcut or anything else in any of the help/support avenues I've tried. Thanks in advance for the help. -- ERR229 Are you trying to clear all the check boxes in the field's dropdown list? In Excel 2002 and later versions, there's a Show All checkbox. In Excel 2000, and earlier versions, you can use programming to hide or show the items -- there's sample code here: http://www.contextures.com/xlPivot03.html ERR229 wrote: > Does anyone know if there is a way to quickl...

column headings in numbers vs letters
For some reason all my excel files now display columns as numbers rather than letters. How can I change back to letters? Why are all my old files also now reading in numbered columns? This is a setting of Excel, not of your files. Tools>Options>General, uncheck R1C1 Reference style -- Kind Regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP - Excel "garyflood" <garyflood@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6870D172-C11D-4FF9-A7D8-48BE89149DF8@microsoft.com... > For some reason all my excel files now display columns as numbers rather > than > letters. How...

I need to convert a word table to excel
When I try doing this by copying the table it appears in excelwith one or two empty lines in between each of my lines that I needed converting. Why is this? usually means there are superfluous paragraph marks in the Word table. "Aaron" <Aaron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:012E3413-1F64-4018-BC14-A2D6AB68B668@microsoft.com... > When I try doing this by copying the table it appears in excelwith one or > two > empty lines in between each of my lines that I needed converting. Why is > this? ...

line column Pivot Charts

deactivate the get pivot formula when I link a cell to a pivot
Currently I using excel 2003, but every time when I link the cell to a pivot table it will convert to a "Get pivot" formula. Is there any way I could deactivate it? See Debra Dalgleish's website for instructions: http://www.contextures.com/xlPivot06.html Does that help? *********** Regards, Ron XL2002, WinXP-Pro "hwtradezheng" wrote: > Currently I using excel 2003, but every time when I link the cell to a pivot > table it will convert to a "Get pivot" formula. Is there any way I could > deactivate it? ...

pivot table error (25000 rows!!)
I am trying to run a pivot table on a file containing 25000 rows. I have 5 duplicate (identical structure) files. The pivot works on each but one. On this file I get an error saying it has too many columns or rows in the pivot table. Drag at least one column or row off the table... Does anybody know what the reason for this message is, are their limits to rows or columns? The identical table works on the other files, therefore this message is so strange. Who has an idea? -- Craig_Richards ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Craig_Richards's Profil...

Pivot table move up command
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) I need to move up values in a pivot table to custom order them. When I right-click I see the &quot;Move&quot; menu, but the options to move up, move down, move to beginning and move to end are greyed out. Did you find an answer? Katy MelKC wrote: Pivot table move up command 04-Feb-10 Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) I need to move up values in a pivot table to custom order them. When I right-click I see the &quot;Move&quot; menu, but the options to move up, move d...

enterprise resources in which table of which database
when i add resource from active directory to resource center .and i want to know in which database and in which table it will saved first. -- It should be in the Published and the Reporting database. In the tables labeled "..Resource" Jonathan "Basim" <Basim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B443F9A1-E8FD-4DF5-A347-A13A626EDE67@microsoft.com... > when i add resource from active directory to resource center .and i want > to > know in which database and in which table it will saved first. > > > -- > ...

Auto filter and Pivot Table
Is it possible to auto filter data, and use it as input to a Pivot table? When I run a test where I first auto filter, I initially had 20000 rows, and the auto filter reduced it to 12000 rows. But when I go to crearte a pivot table on the filtered data, I am back to a total record count of 20000. Am I combining apples and oranges? If so, is there a way to filter data, before it gets inputed to a Pivot table? -- RandyLewisKemp ------------------------------------------------------------------------ RandyLewisKemp's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&use...

Sum of column #2
Hi I have a worksheet containing 25 columns In the column A I have categories and the other columns B to Z represent periods Looks like this PLB 1 2 3 1 2 2 2 3 .................. ADD 3 4 2 4 1 5 6 4 .................. AVL 2 1 4 2 3 7 1 4 ................... PLB 2 3 2 1 5 2 4 3 ..................... I am looking for a formula that will add each columns for the same Categorie So the result for the categorie PLB should be 1+2+3+1+2+2+2+3 (first row) + 2+3+2+1+5+2+4+3 (last row) = total = 38 ADD = 29 AVL = 24 thanks for helping Try this: =SUMPRODUCT((A2:...