Pivot Table "stdev" summary - can this be manipulated?

I have a pivot table which reports mean and standard
deviation for my population (obtained as external data
from SQL Server).

Instead, I would prefer to be reporting the maximum and
minimum values within 2 standard deviations of the mean.

ie.  mean = x
standard deviation = o

How do I get my pivot table to show

x + 2o
x - 2o

?

Thanks,

Kim.
..

I have posted this question before.  Somehow it ended up
in the microsoft.public.exchange.misc newsgroup instead of
microsoft.public.excel.misc

0
anonymous (74722)

Display formula Excel uses for internal functions (STDEV...)
How to Display formula Excel uses for internal functions such as (STDEV, STDEVp, STDEVpa ...) It would be useful to see what formula Excel us using at any particular time. Such as when different possibilities are available or when there is an error message that is mathmatical in origin ... Hi, For all of the formula you mention., if you look in Excel help you'll see how they work. -- Mike When competing hypotheses are otherwise equal, adopt the hypothesis that introduces the fewest assumptions while still sufficiently answering the question. "RexDn" ...

StDev Question
I am looking to compute standard deviation and am a little confused. If I have a table with stores and monthly sales figures how do I run a Stdev (syntax) for the sales amounts: Table1 Store, month1, month2, month3,month4 storeA,1000,2000,3000,4000 storeB,2000,2500,3000,3500 Any examples would be great! Thanks! AJ =?Utf-8?B?QUo=?= <AJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in news:2961B442-264A-4AC4-BA4C-19ED35509556@microsoft.com: > I am looking to compute standard deviation and am a little > confused. If I have a table with stores and monthly sales figures > how do I run a St...

How is excel's stdev formula different from what I see in wikipedia ?
1. In wikipedia, the standard deviation for a population of 5, 6, 8, 9 is shown to be 1.58, which seems correct to me. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_deviation) 2. In excel, copy paste the following data on a new sheet, and you get a different value (1.825) 5 6 8 9 =STDEV(A1:A4) Could someone explain me what is going on here? The formula for standard deviation OF A POPULATION involves dividing the sum of squares by n, the number of observations. The formula for standard deviation OF A SAMPLE involves dividing the sum of squares by n-1. This is the most common usage, and th...

STDEV
For some numbers (e.g. 1.35, 2.8, 11.73) the standard deviation of the three same numbers do not result to 0. Why? I tried it on four different computers. Hi! The most probable explanation is that the values are calculated and only appear to be the same. The true underlying values are different. You can check by selecting the cells and changing the format to number and increasing the decimal place. Biff "Kimo" <Kimo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:178202FB-650C-4295-A3C9-B37C82DF16AC@microsoft.com... > For some numbers (e.g. 1.35, 2.8, 11.73) the st...

STDEV without average
To calculate standard deviation you need to know the average. How can excel calculate the STDEV of a few numbers without knowing the average? Thanks Daniel What makes you think Excel does not know the average. If you gave me a list of 10 (small) numbers on a piece of paper I could tell you the maximum. I might also be able to add them up and divide by 10 without telling you I have done it! STDEV is not a simple function. I expect it was written in some version of C. best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "daniel" <dlipson@gmai...

StDev Results
In general terms, when I perform a STDEV equation, does the result equal the distance from the mean to each end of the standard deviation (+ and -) or does the result equal the distence from the + to the - with the mean some point in between? -- Michael Beauregard from the mean "Michael" wrote: > In general terms, when I perform a STDEV equation, does the result equal the > distance from the mean to each end of the standard deviation (+ and -) or > does the result equal the distence from the + to the - with the mean some > point in between? > -- > Michae...

Show stdev errorbars on pivot bar chart
I have made a pivot bar chart using excel 2003, and I would like to show error bars on this bar chart. The values for the bars are averages of a certain quantity. The values for the errorbars should be the stdev of this quantity. It is possible to add error bars in the existing chart using "Format data series", but that only works for one particular chart. If I update the underlying data or plot other quantities, then the errorbars are gone. Does anyone know how to solve this problem? Like all custom formatting in pivot charts, refreshing the data clears the formatting. Microsof...

STDEV down, but not across, two cols??
I don't understand Standard Deviation very well - I was just told to use this function. Up 'til now, I've only had one column of numbers. Now I have two columns of five data points each. Each set across is one pair (two measurements of the same item). I don't think they want the STDEV between the paired points included in the calculations, only between the individual pairs. So how do I reduce this to only five data points and still get a valid STDEV? Or have I asked an irrational question because I don't know STDEV? ED standard deviation is the parameter for the ...

StDev
I'm pretty sure this can be done but I'm tripping over it. Isn't it possible to perform a StDev calculation on 2 column value of 1 row? For example: ID | Column1 | Column2 | StDev 123 | 10 | 125 | 81.3172 How do I write this expression in the query? I know you need to make an alias but after that I'm lost after trying several things. Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks! (column1 ^ 2 + column2 ^ 2 - 0.5* (column1 + column2) ^ 2 ) ^ 0.5 Vanderghast, Access MVP <jlute@marzetti.com> wrote in message news:69e65ffb-dc21-40c8-ad18-07...

using a conditional in STDEV function
I would like to use the STDEV function on a set of cells that have been indicated by a conditional statement. I have tried a variety of ways and have not been able to get it to work using others suggestions. I am wondering if anyone knows. I have Excel 2007, I am not sure if this has affected my results. Below is one thing that I tried, that seemed to have worked for others. =STDEV(IF((C2:C204)*(P2:P204>0),P2:P204,"")) When looking at the array it returns the value of 15 for every cell that is in the specified range. Thanks. Researcher Your formula: =STDEV(I...

STDEV...HELP
From a histogram I collected the following data, I'm trying to figure out how to calculate the standard deviation of hours driving. I can do it outside of using the stdev formula, but if I try to use the formula I mess up my results. Mean hrs= number of subjects/total hours driving (200/1580) = 7.9 Standard Deviation for hours driving: Needs to equal 1.05 I can get that by taking 12702(power1580,2)/200 which = 220 taking that sum (220) and making another calculation. sqrt(220/200-1) Those combined net the standard deviation, but there has to be an easier way.... Any help would be apprec...

average and stdev
Say I have two columns (A and B) going from rows 1 to 20. Is there some elegant way to add the numbers across each row, THEN take the average and stdev of the column(besides making a new column with the sum across the row)? I've done it (inelegantly) by doing: =AVERAGE(A1+B1, A2+B2, A3+B3, .... , A19+B19, A20+B20) and =STDEV(A1+B1, A2+B2, A3+B3, .... , A19+B19, A20+B20) it works, but it looks bad... just wondering if there was a better way... Thanks! Jenny One way: =AVERAGE(A1:A20+B1:B20) This is an array formula and it must be entered with <Shift><Ctrl><Enter>,...

Error with stdev array
I'm trying to use a stdev array to calculate the stdev for rows within a list. The formula references a template spreadsheet where it looks for IDs in column A that match the unique value in A# of the current spreadsheet. The values that I want the stdev of are located in column AO of the template = STDEV(IF(('[Averaging Data Template.xlsx]Template'!$A$1:$A$1000=A10)*('[Averaging Data Template.xlsx]Template'!$AO$1:$AO$1000<>""),'[Averaging Data Template.xlsx]Template'!$AO$1:$AO$1000)) What is odd is that I'm getting a different value for stdev...