Pivot Table help! #2

I'm hoping someone can give some pointers to a pivot table newbie.

I have a bunch of data in three colums: Player, Score, and Date. I want a
pivot table that will show me the average Score for every Player, given an
arbitrary Date range that I want to be able to specify.

I'm partway there. I set up a pivot table, pull Player onto the Row Fields,
and I put Score into the Data area.

If I put Date into the Row Fields, and then group these by month, it almost
gives me what I want -- I can click on "Date" on the pivot table and I have
little boxes that I can check off if I just want to see the data for
November, or whatever. But if I want to see just the data for, say, Nov 20-
26, I'm out of luck. If I right-click on Date, choose Grouping, and add
"Days", it (again) almost does what I want, but it's really awkward because
the days are now listed is a separate column than the months. It will
become even more complicated once I start accumulating data for 2006.

If, instead of dragging Date into the Row Fields, I put it into the Page
Fields, it again ALMOST does what I want, but not quite.

I have seen pivot tables where the page field has a Date button that opens
up to show years, with little Plus signs next to them. When you click on
the plus sign, it opens up a branch list that shows the quarters, or the
months, each will little plus signs that open up further branches for
individual days. Each of these levels can be selected with little check-
boxes, so that if you want to see all the data from 2005, you just click
the 2005 box. If, on the other hand, you want to see just November, then
you open up the 2005 branch, and then just select November. You can also,
if you want, select any combination of date ranges (for instance, all of
2004, plus November of 2005, plus the first three days of December).

How the heck do I do that?

Hi,
I suggest you abandon the pivot table and use the sumproduct function.

Then you can put the names of the players in col A, put your require
dates in 2 convenient cells, and then use sumproduct to extract th
total scores achieved by each player within your date ranges.

In a separate table, use countif to count the NUMBER of scores withi
the date range, and then finally print the averages in a separat
table. If you are happy to publish your e-mail address, I will send yo
a simple spreadsheet demonstrating this.

Bob

--
bob77
bob777's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2850

Put the Date field into the row area, and group by Days only.
Enter your start and end date in the Grouping dialog box.
For the number of days, you can enter the number of days in your range,
or a big number, if you aren't sure how many days are in the selected range.
Then, in the Date field dropdown, click Select All, to uncheck all, then
select the item with your date range.

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

0
dsd1 (5911)
12/21/2005 1:52:10 PM
I'm either slightly misunderstanding, or it still doesn't work.

If I put in the number of days in my range in the "Number of Days" box,
what happens when I click the Date dropdown is that I only have 3
choices to view: data before my range, data after my range (both of
which will show nothing), or the entire range. I have no ability to
select, say, just February.

--
Marc.

Debra Dalgleish <dsd@contexturesXSPAM.com> wrote in

bob777 <bob777.20e63a_1135171201.4993@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in

> Hi,
> I suggest you abandon the pivot table and use the sumproduct function.
>
> Then you can put the names of the players in col A, put your required
> dates in 2 convenient cells, and then use sumproduct to extract the
> total scores achieved by each player within your date ranges.
>
> In a separate table, use countif to count the NUMBER of scores within
> the date range, and then finally print the averages in a separate
> table. If you are happy to publish your e-mail address, I will send
> you a simple spreadsheet demonstrating this.

I considered this (and may still do something like that if I can't find
the proper solution with the pivot tables), but the pivot tables have
several advantages that I really like -- Players will be able to double
click on their score summary in the table to drill down to the data of
their actual games (which show a lot more detail than the pivot table
provides). Also, if I was able to implement the table the way I want, a
player could decide to check their scores for games played on Mondays
(by checking just those days from the drop-down box) and then comparing
these scores to games played on Fridays.

Most of the people who will be using the tool are familiar with Pivot
Tables (reading them, not creating them), so although designing my own
tool to extract the desired data is probably feasible, it's not ideal.

--
Marc.
Hi Marc

You should then see something like the following (hope it doesn't go all
over the place when posting).
You can then select whichever year you want in the Years dropdown etc.

Sum of Score
Years	Quarters Months	Date    Player	Total
2005	Qtr1	 Jan	01-Jan	AAA	2
				CCC	1
				DDD	2
			08-Jan	BBB	1
				CCC	3
			15-Jan	AAA	1
			29-Jan	AAA	4
		Feb	01-Feb	AAA	4
				BBB	3
			07-Feb	AAA	1
			08-Feb	CCC	3
			15-Feb	AAA	1
				BBB	4
				CCC	2
				DDD	5
			22-Feb	DDD	2
Grand Total					39

Does this solve the problem?

Regards

Roger Govier

Marc Fleury wrote:
> I'm either slightly misunderstanding, or it still doesn't work.
>
> If I put in the number of days in my range in the "Number of Days" box,
> what happens when I click the Date dropdown is that I only have 3
> choices to view: data before my range, data after my range (both of
> which will show nothing), or the entire range. I have no ability to
> select, say, just February.
>

> --
> Marc.
>

> Debra Dalgleish <dsd@contexturesXSPAM.com> wrote in
>

>>Put the Date field into the row area, and group by Days only.
>>Enter your start and end date in the Grouping dialog box.
>>For the number of days, you can enter the number of days in your
>>range, or a big number, if you aren't sure how many days are in the
>>selected range. Then, in the Date field dropdown, click Select All, to
>>uncheck all, then select the item with your date range.
>>
>>Marc Fleury wrote:
>>
>>>I'm hoping someone can give some pointers to a pivot table newbie.
>>>
>>>I have a bunch of data in three colums: Player, Score, and Date. I
>>>want a pivot table that will show me the average Score for every
>>>Player, given an arbitrary Date range that I want to be able to
>>>specify.
>>>
>>>I'm partway there. I set up a pivot table, pull Player onto the Row
>>>Fields, and I put Score into the Data area.
>>>
>>>If I put Date into the Row Fields, and then group these by month, it
>>>almost gives me what I want -- I can click on "Date" on the pivot
>>>table and I have little boxes that I can check off if I just want to
>>>see the data for November, or whatever. But if I want to see just the
>>>data for, say, Nov 20- 26, I'm out of luck. If I right-click on Date,
>>>choose Grouping, and add "Days", it (again) almost does what I want,
>>>but it's really awkward because the days are now listed is a separate
>>>column than the months. It will become even more complicated once I
>>>start accumulating data for 2006.
>>>
>>>If, instead of dragging Date into the Row Fields, I put it into the
>>>Page Fields, it again ALMOST does what I want, but not quite.
>>>
>>>I have seen pivot tables where the page field has a Date button that
>>>opens up to show years, with little Plus signs next to them. When you
>>>click on the plus sign, it opens up a branch list that shows the
>>>quarters, or the months, each will little plus signs that open up
>>>further branches for individual days. Each of these levels can be
>>>selected with little check- boxes, so that if you want to see all the
>>>data from 2005, you just click the 2005 box. If, on the other hand,
>>>you want to see just November, then you open up the 2005 branch, and
>>>then just select November. You can also, if you want, select any
>>>combination of date ranges (for instance, all of 2004, plus November
>>>of 2005, plus the first three days of December).
>>>
>>>How the heck do I do that?

0
roger1272 (620)
12/21/2005 6:27:24 PM
In your original post you said:
"I want a pivot table that will show me the average Score for every
Player, given an arbitrary Date range that I want to be able to specify."

What I suggested does that. The start and end dates of the arbitrary
date range are entered in the Grouping dialog box. Dates before and
after are hidden.

To see a different date range, e.g. November, open the Grouping box, and
enter the start and end dates for that range.

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

0
dsd1 (5911)
12/21/2005 9:57:17 PM

> In your original post you said:
> "I want a pivot table that will show me the average Score for every
> Player, given an arbitrary Date range that I want to be able to
> specify."
>
> What I suggested does that.

Ah. Now I understand what you mean.

I guess I should have drawn a distinction between what I, as the creator
of the Pivot Table, can do, and what the end-user can do. In the last
part of my original post, I was more explicit about my needs. The user
should be able to get the data that s/he wants just by using drop-down
boxes. The USER ought to be able to select an arbitrary dates and date
ranges to view.

Here, again, is the more detailed explanation of what I need:

"I have seen pivot tables where the page field has a Date button that
opens up to show years, with little Plus signs next to them. When you
click on the plus sign, it opens up a branch list that shows the
quarters, or the months, each will little plus signs that open up
further branches for individual days. Each of these levels can be
selected with little check- boxes, so that if you want to see all the
data from 2005, you just click the 2005 box. If, on the other hand, you
want to see just November, then you open up the 2005 branch, and then
just select November. You can also, if you want, select any combination
of date ranges (for instance, all of 2004, plus November of 2005, plus
the first three days of December).

How the heck do I do that?"

--
Marc.
Those pivot tables are based on OLAP databases, with fields in levels.
The same feature can't be created in a pivot table based on a different
data source type.

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

0
dsd1 (5911)
12/22/2005 6:34:07 PM
Much appreciated.

With that info, I searched through the excel help files for OLAP
database, found this
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HA010127121033.aspx
("Creating data cubes using Excel and text files"). Probably the long
way around, but I was able to turn my data into an OLAP cube, and the
Date field automatically had levels when I pulled it to the Dimensions
pane. So now I have exactly the drop-down box for Dates that I needed.

(Now I just have to figure out how to create the rest of the Pivot Table
from the data cube!)

Thanks again.

--

> Those pivot tables are based on OLAP databases, with fields in levels.
> The same feature can't be created in a pivot table based on a
> different data source type.
>
> Marc Fleury wrote:
>> Debra Dalgleish <dsd@contexturesXSPAM.com> wrote in
>>

>>>In your original post you said:
>>>"I want a pivot table that will show me the average Score for every
>>>Player, given an arbitrary Date range that I want to be able to
>>>specify."
>>>
>>>What I suggested does that.
>>

>> Ah. Now I understand what you mean.
>>
>> I guess I should have drawn a distinction between what I, as the
>> creator of the Pivot Table, can do, and what the end-user can do. In
>> the last part of my original post, I was more explicit about my
>> needs. The user should be able to get the data that s/he wants just
>> by using drop-down boxes. The USER ought to be able to select an
>> arbitrary dates and date ranges to view.
>>
>> Here, again, is the more detailed explanation of what I need:
>>
>> "I have seen pivot tables where the page field has a Date button that
>> opens up to show years, with little Plus signs next to them. When you
>> click on the plus sign, it opens up a branch list that shows the
>> quarters, or the months, each will little plus signs that open up
>> further branches for individual days. Each of these levels can be
>> selected with little check- boxes, so that if you want to see all the
>> data from 2005, you just click the 2005 box. If, on the other hand,
>> you want to see just November, then you open up the 2005 branch, and
>> then just select November. You can also, if you want, select any
>> combination of date ranges (for instance, all of 2004, plus November
>> of 2005, plus the first three days of December).
>>
>> How the heck do I do that?"
>>

>> --
>> Marc.

Pivot Table Counting

Problems with external contacts. Help!!!
Hi, I wondered if someone could help me, I am trying to add a list of frequently used external contacts to my exchange 2000 site. Now, I have created an OU, and the appropriate search and setup a few contacts and their email addresses, in this case all the external addresses reside in one external domain - it's not connected to exchange in any way other than the "contact" entry. No ad user exists. Lets say hotmail.com is the domain and craig_home@hotmail.com is the contact created. This appears in the Outlook address list as I would expect. The problem is when I email them I g...

downloads #2
I am having the same problem---did you ever find resolution? does anyone know how to get around it? ----- Kay Cordova wrote: ----- I have tried to download from my financial institution my account information. When I set the file to download to a .qif file it insists on loading the download to MS Money instead of putting it in a file where I can import it into Quicken. I have looked at all of the Options to find where to change that and cannot find anything that will help/ Did you see the "money vs. quicken"...

Pivot Tables #4

Coding Help
I want a command button on a form to do the following: Prompt User with "Preview Report?" If yes, then Open "Report1" When closing the report I want: Prompt User "Output Report?" If yes, then Output "Report1" Else, return to form Else, Output "Report1" How do I do this? Why not use a Toolbar with a Print Button tied to the report to avoid regenerating the report? Pieter "mray29" <mray29@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1A45DC82-9EA5-4C64-A7CE-8B81693E90FF@microsoft.com... > Try this for the comm...

Pivot Tables

Help comparing 2 columns..
I have two coloumns of numbers, which i need to compare. The Excel document should come out with 3310 as a result in coloumn 3 (see exsample). Can someone help me? I am dont know anything about VB programming in Excel, so I hope someone can find a solution without any programming. example: Coloumn 1 2211 5510 2210 9952 Coloumn 2 2211 5510 3310 2210 9952 Sample: With Range A1:A4 named "Rge1" ' equal to your Column 1 data. and with your existing data in Column 2 - Cells B1:B5 In cell C1 enter: =IF(COUNTIF(Rge1,B1),"",B1) and copy down. Column C should reflect a...

Pivot Chart Formatting #5

MULTIPLE HOTMAIL ACCOUNTS #2
Anyone figure out how to send/receive multiple Hotmail accounts from within Outlook 2003, or 2002.? (or even 2000 for the matter) Thanks Multiple Hotmail accounts is only supported in Outlook 2003. 2002 can use only one account and Outlook 2000 does not have the ability to use any Hotmail accounts. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, John F asked: | A...

join multiple pivot tables?

Line-bar chart on 2 axis
I have a line chart representing data correctly on one axis. I add the line for the secondary axis and it looks fine, I change it to bars and it does not span the full length of the Y axis. It gets shortened to half its original length. The custom line-bar chart provided with excel is not working either. I have over 1000 plot points on one axis and only 23 on the secondary axis, could this be afecting the chart from displaying properly? TIA George You should be able to change the display by adjusting the min. / max. values of the secondary y-axis (double-click the secondary y-axis, th...

Help with pivot table

Y-axis help
i have the numbers on my chart set like this..... 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 0 1 2 3 4 but i want to change it to this....... 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 0 1 2 3 4 how do i flip-flop the y-axis this way. (I need to do this for good reason!) Please help! Double click on the axis, and on the Scale tab, check the Values (or Categories if it's really the X axis, as in a horizontal bar chart) in reverse order checkbox. You may also need to check the Axis crosses at maximum checkbox. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions Peltier Te...

Outlook 2003 to OWA? #2
Can Outlook 2003 synchronize with OWA? I only have OWA access to my clients exchange server. I've done it with Entourage, but Outlook is much less intuitive... or maybe it cannot be done? Correct. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, stumpy asked: | Can Outlook 2003 synchronize with OWA? I only have OWA | access to my clients exchange server. I&#...

csv #2
I want to convert an xls file to csv file pls let me know how to do that.also can you tel me some more features of csv. File|Save As and change the "Save as type" to CSV Jerry Ashish wrote: > I want to convert an xls file to csv file pls let me know how to do that.also > can you tel me some more features of csv. Ashish, See www.smokeylake.com/excel/textfiles.htm. Read "Delimited text file." -- Earl Kiosterud mvpearl omitthisword at verizon period net ------------------------------------------- "Ashish" <Ashish@discussions.microsoft.com> wro...

Lookup help #3
Ifyou have a classification of data of ABC and it appears in a list times with different information when I want to do a vlookup to pul all the relevant data for ABC into a new sheet, then the lookup wil just pull back the data for the first one found continuously and no move onto the second and third listing of ABC. So how do you get th lookup to move on through the sheet to pull back all of the relevan data? i.e. ABC 12 12 12 ABC 13 12 13 ABC 14 12 14 The present vlookup will just bring back ABC 12 12 12 And not move onto the other returns for this classification. T...

Using formulas for pivot table

Hyperlink in Pivot Table

Help with an IF Formula
Can anyone help me with a question about an IF formula? Is there any way to write an IF formula that causes multiple actions or results to occur as part of the value_if_true or the value_if_false portions of the formula. For example if an IF Formula reads: IF(A1="1",1,0)) -- the A1="1" portion is the logical_test, and 1 is entered as the value_if_true and 0 is entered as the value_if_false is there any way to make the value_if_true cause more than one result, i.e. B1=1 and C1=1. Thank you in advance to anyone who can help. Hi Ed, No. A formula can only return a value, ...

Flowcharting Table relations
Hey guys and girls. New one for you. I am doing an IT audit of Great Plains and need to flowchart how the data files are related to each other. In other words, how does one file feed into another file, and what field or fields in a particular table is used to relate/link to another table. Does anyone where I can find such information? Thanks Check out the Great Plains SDK available on the installation CDs. There are several diagrams that describe table relationships. Also, there are module documents that contain posting flowcharts. Regards, Kevin Rood Corporate Software Consultants...

PDF file #2

chart options show data table
Currently using 2 workbooks to produce 1 chart - the source data in workbook 1 and the chart in workbook 2. We also are using the "show data table" option to most easily view all values in the chart. We would like this data to keep it's currency format to best reflect the values in the chart; however, the data table loses this formatting when we close workbook 1. Is there any way to hang onto this formatting after the workbook is closed? Data tables in charts are not particularly flexible or capable. You combine the workbooks. Alternatively, put a table in the chart's...

Pivot Tables #40
Does anyone know if there is a way to quickly clear a field list? I can't find a keyboard shortcut or anything else in any of the help/support avenues I've tried. Thanks in advance for the help. -- ERR229 Are you trying to clear all the check boxes in the field's dropdown list? In Excel 2002 and later versions, there's a Show All checkbox. In Excel 2000, and earlier versions, you can use programming to hide or show the items -- there's sample code here: http://www.contextures.com/xlPivot03.html ERR229 wrote: > Does anyone know if there is a way to quickl...