pivot table empty cell

I need to have an empty cell be in the pivot table.  I have multiple
pivot tables I have generated for a report.  I have created a
worksheet that reads the data from the pivot table (so it looks
nicer).  I have tried to check the box in options that says to put a 0
or another symbol (*) in an empty cell and it doesn't work.  I want
people to be able to input their own data and refresh the pivot table.
 If I have four response options (sometimes, always, never, usually)
and the new data does not have data for one of the options then the
table that reads the data gets messed up with its numbering.  Is there
anyway I can fix this?

Thanks, Shannon

Double-click on the Response field button
Add a check mark to 'Show items with no data', click OK

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

0
dsd1 (5911)
8/23/2004 1:43:33 AM
Debra Dalgleish <dsd@contexturesXSPAM.com> wrote in message news:<41294BC5.9060902@contexturesXSPAM.com>...
> Double-click on the Response field button
> Add a check mark to 'Show items with no data', click OK
>
> Shannon wrote:
> > I need to have an empty cell be in the pivot table.  I have multiple
> > pivot tables I have generated for a report.  I have created a
> > worksheet that reads the data from the pivot table (so it looks
> > nicer).  I have tried to check the box in options that says to put a 0
> > or another symbol (*) in an empty cell and it doesn't work.  I want
> > people to be able to input their own data and refresh the pivot table.
> >  If I have four response options (sometimes, always, never, usually)
> > and the new data does not have data for one of the options then the
> > table that reads the data gets messed up with its numbering.  Is there
> > anyway I can fix this?

I don't see that as an option in the response field button.  I really
want each response to have a column.  I have all of the response
options checked.  Any suggestions?  Thanks for your help.

Pivot Tables #4

Pivot Table Counting

Pivot Tables

Money 2004 Trial converts Q2003 empty
When I am trying first-time use of the Trial download, the Quicken 2003 conversion does not succeed, neither from QDF or the QIF exported from Quicken 2003. Tried downloading again, etc., same results. Try validating (and super validating) the Quicken file first, and try again -- Glyn Simpson, Microsoft MVP - Money Check http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny for UK tips and fixes for MS Money. To send Microsoft your wishes or suggestions, use http://register.microsoft.com/mswish/suggestion.asp or email mnyukwsh@microsoft.com especially if it's a UK specific wi...

Pivot Chart Formatting #5

Highlighting cells
When I select cells to copy or paste I can't really see which cells are highlighted because I probably have something set wrong. I would like the cells I highlight to have a light background color so I can see what is selected. Any help would be appreciated!! joe1@peacocks.com In MacXL, the highlight color is set in system preferences. Choose System Preferences/Appearance pane, and change the highlight color to something more contrasting. Otherwise, you'll need to use VBA, e.g.: http://cpearson.com/excel/excelM.htm#HighlightActiveCell Though a better way is via Chip Pearson...

Stopping free text entry in validation cell
Hi, I have an xls that I have set up with validation lists in some cells. I need to stop users from ignoring the options in the list and just typing whatever the want in the cell. Anyone help? I am sure it is easy, but can't see how to do it. Thnx, Smf If you are using a list then that should be enough unless they copy and paste into the validation cell -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "smf" <smf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:448D4166-A2C9-4C25-852F-7B045DF19F98@microsoft.com... > Hi, > > I have an xls that I have set up with validation lists...

join multiple pivot tables?

Help with pivot table

Group box, option button and cell reference
I need option buttons across six rows. I need the user to only have one option PER row. Help feature says to place option buttons into a Group Box but I can't figure out how to do that. It also says to have cell reference???? Any suggestions? If you use the option buttons from the Forms toolbar rather than the Controls toolbar, you can place them inside a group box (also from the forms toolbar). Right-click the option button and choose Format control. In the control tab, enter a cell reference to contain the value of the option button(which will be 1-6 for 6 buttons within the ...

Merge Cells, but keep backgrounds
In excell 2003 is there a way to merge cells so the text spans them all, but keep the current background of the cells (which are not all the same color)? No Try Center Across Selection and avoid merged cells whenever possible. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Sat, 30 May 2009 09:16:12 -0700 (PDT), "dan@danirwin.net" <dan@danirwin.net> wrote: >In excell 2003 is there a way to merge cells so the text spans them >all, but keep the current background of the cells (which are not all >the same color)? Is there a way to center across selection vertically or just horizonta...

moving data dynamically based on empty cell
I have a data sheet that looks like this... col a col b abc 10 20 45 efg 5 18 10 I need it to look like this... col a col b abc 10 abc 20 abc 45 efg 5 efg 18 efg 10 since there is no consistency to the number of rows in col b with data, i have to come up with a formula that is dynamic The file has 20,000 rows so doing it manually is not the way to go. Thanks Give this macro a try... Sub FillInTheBlanks() Dim Area As Range, LastRow As Long Const ColLetter As String = "A&...

security of a cell
is it possible to protect a range of cells, so that it i wanted to change them a box could appear requesting the password to access the cells. i would idelly like to set this up so that the need to go through the top menu is bypassed. ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ This was added in xl2002 as a built in feature. Before that version, you'd need a macro. And if the user opened the workbook without enabling macros, it wouldn't be effective. c...

Counting Non Blank Cells
I could really use some help with this headache. I'm using Excel 2003. I'm doing a Vlookup comparing text data in Column A of Worksheet 1 to text data in Column C of Worksheet 2. If there's a match I'm having the result placed in Column B of Worksheet 1. When there's no match I get a blank which is fine. I'm comparing about 10,000 records in Worksheet 1 to about 8,000 records in Worksheet 2. I need a way to get a count of only the matched records in Column B. I've tried using the The CountA function for Column B, but I get the exact same counts in Column B ...

Using formulas for pivot table

Hyperlink in Pivot Table

Define print area depending on a cell value
How to write a code to determine print area and depending on a cell value. Let say cell A and cell B.If cell B has a certain value,then the print area is cell A,B,C,D ,so when the worksheet is printed,it will only include cell A,B,C,D.But if the cell B is blank or has another certain value,the print area is cel A,B only. Please help to do it programatically?I have not much experience with Excel VBA.Thank's Here is one example... Mark Ivey Sub SetPrintArea() If Range("B1").Value = "" Then ActiveSheet.PageSetup.PrintArea = "=" & _ ...

chart options show data table
Currently using 2 workbooks to produce 1 chart - the source data in workbook 1 and the chart in workbook 2. We also are using the "show data table" option to most easily view all values in the chart. We would like this data to keep it's currency format to best reflect the values in the chart; however, the data table loses this formatting when we close workbook 1. Is there any way to hang onto this formatting after the workbook is closed? Data tables in charts are not particularly flexible or capable. You combine the workbooks. Alternatively, put a table in the chart's...

Flowcharting Table relations
Hey guys and girls. New one for you. I am doing an IT audit of Great Plains and need to flowchart how the data files are related to each other. In other words, how does one file feed into another file, and what field or fields in a particular table is used to relate/link to another table. Does anyone where I can find such information? Thanks Check out the Great Plains SDK available on the installation CDs. There are several diagrams that describe table relationships. Also, there are module documents that contain posting flowcharts. Regards, Kevin Rood Corporate Software Consultants...

Data validation and empty cells
range("d1").Validation.add formula1:= "=$A$1:$A$7",Type:=xlValidateList,operator:=xlBetween How to avoid empty entries in drop down box if some of cell from A1:A7 are empty? Thanks Sort A1:A7 so that the empties are at the bottom and use =OFFSET($A$1,,,COUNT($A$1:$A$7),1) -- HTH Bob Phillips (remove nothere from email address if mailing direct) "Kris" <witek7205@spam.gazeta.pl.invalid> wrote in message news:do75sd$8a4$1@inews.gazeta.pl... > range("d1").Validation.add formula1:= > "=$A$1:$A$7",Type:=xlValidateList,oper...

Insert Cell Text Into Chart
I have a cell of text(on sheet 1) that I want to paste into the top portion of a chart (on sheet 2) - I have done this before, but I cannot remember how - HELP! Hi insert a textbox, select this textbox and enter the equation sign '='. Now select your cell on sheet 1 and hit ENTER -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Karen wrote: > I have a cell of text(on sheet 1) that I want to paste > into the top portion of a chart (on sheet 2) - I have done > this before, but I cannot remember how - HELP! Thank you for your help - I'm sorry, maybe I didn't explain it ...

Pivot Tables #40
Does anyone know if there is a way to quickly clear a field list? I can't find a keyboard shortcut or anything else in any of the help/support avenues I've tried. Thanks in advance for the help. -- ERR229 Are you trying to clear all the check boxes in the field's dropdown list? In Excel 2002 and later versions, there's a Show All checkbox. In Excel 2000, and earlier versions, you can use programming to hide or show the items -- there's sample code here: http://www.contextures.com/xlPivot03.html ERR229 wrote: > Does anyone know if there is a way to quickl...

I need to convert a word table to excel
When I try doing this by copying the table it appears in excelwith one or two empty lines in between each of my lines that I needed converting. Why is this? usually means there are superfluous paragraph marks in the Word table. "Aaron" <Aaron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:012E3413-1F64-4018-BC14-A2D6AB68B668@microsoft.com... > When I try doing this by copying the table it appears in excelwith one or > two > empty lines in between each of my lines that I needed converting. Why is > this? ...