pivot grouping

Already have one set of groupings, and now have added
another list of data.  Need to incorporate that data
(which only has the "sublevel" of data right now) into
the higher level grouping.  So now, the new data shows up
in the grouping, but it basically creates its own group
for each piece of data (since it hasn't been grouped
yet).  If it makes it any clearer, the sublevel is a
number of aging days.  The grouping is for sets of aging
days (<30, 30-60-60-90, etc.).  So what's happened is the
first set of data is showing only at the grouped level,
and when I add the new data, I get the groups I started
and a new group for each new data point (446 days, 231
days, etc.).  The only way I have figured out to regroup
them all together is to show the detail of the old
grouping (the actual days), show the detail of the new,
individual groups (also actual days), then regroup them,
then rename them AGAIN into the same group names as old.
Hoping there is a way to effectively drag/drop the new
pieces into the old groups.  Hope that makes sense and
someone has the answer. Thanks.

Boris
0
anonymous (74722)

If you drag the items you want to group adjacent to the already grouped
items, select them all and group them they will be added to the group.

"boris" wrote:

> Already have one set of groupings, and now have added
> another list of data.  Need to incorporate that data
> (which only has the "sublevel" of data right now) into
> the higher level grouping.  So now, the new data shows up
> in the grouping, but it basically creates its own group
> for each piece of data (since it hasn't been grouped
> yet).  If it makes it any clearer, the sublevel is a
> number of aging days.  The grouping is for sets of aging
> days (<30, 30-60-60-90, etc.).  So what's happened is the
> first set of data is showing only at the grouped level,
> and when I add the new data, I get the groups I started
> and a new group for each new data point (446 days, 231
> days, etc.).  The only way I have figured out to regroup
> them all together is to show the detail of the old
> grouping (the actual days), show the detail of the new,
> individual groups (also actual days), then regroup them,
> then rename them AGAIN into the same group names as old.
> Hoping there is a way to effectively drag/drop the new
> pieces into the old groups.  Hope that makes sense and
> someone has the answer. Thanks.
>
> Boris

0
GaryRowe (86)
10/20/2004 2:42:13 AM
unfortunately that does not do it, as what it does is
create a new group another level up.  I want it to be
created at the same level.  I think the solution I was
using earlier seems to be the only one.
Basically, "opening" the old group to show all the
underlying pieces, "opening" the new group to show the one
piece that is underlying, then grouping that lower level
set together, renaming it again as the old group.  Thought
someone had a better way, but oh well.

Thx for trying.
Boris

0
anonymous (74722)

Pivot Table Counting

Pivot Tables #4

Pivot Tables

Pivot Chart Formatting #5

join multiple pivot tables?

Help with pivot table

Group box, option button and cell reference
I need option buttons across six rows. I need the user to only have one option PER row. Help feature says to place option buttons into a Group Box but I can't figure out how to do that. It also says to have cell reference???? Any suggestions? If you use the option buttons from the Forms toolbar rather than the Controls toolbar, you can place them inside a group box (also from the forms toolbar). Right-click the option button and choose Format control. In the control tab, enter a cell reference to contain the value of the option button(which will be 1-6 for 6 buttons within the ...

Finding users that belong to a certain storage group
All, I have a storage group with a database offline because of errors. I don't really care because there were a lot of non-essential users in that storage group, I just don't remember which ones. We have a LOT of users in AD, and it would be difficult at best to open up the properties of each user to see which storage group they belong to. Is there an easier way? Thanks, Pair Probably the quickest way is to dump the directory to a text file using LDIFDE. You could also using the Active Directory Users and Computers "Find" feature and do a custom search. -- Ji...

Using formulas for pivot table

Hyperlink in Pivot Table

Pivot Tables #40
Does anyone know if there is a way to quickly clear a field list? I can't find a keyboard shortcut or anything else in any of the help/support avenues I've tried. Thanks in advance for the help. -- ERR229 Are you trying to clear all the check boxes in the field's dropdown list? In Excel 2002 and later versions, there's a Show All checkbox. In Excel 2000, and earlier versions, you can use programming to hide or show the items -- there's sample code here: http://www.contextures.com/xlPivot03.html ERR229 wrote: > Does anyone know if there is a way to quickl...

line column Pivot Charts

pivot table error (25000 rows!!)
I am trying to run a pivot table on a file containing 25000 rows. I have 5 duplicate (identical structure) files. The pivot works on each but one. On this file I get an error saying it has too many columns or rows in the pivot table. Drag at least one column or row off the table... Does anybody know what the reason for this message is, are their limits to rows or columns? The identical table works on the other files, therefore this message is so strange. Who has an idea? -- Craig_Richards ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Craig_Richards's Profil...

Pivot table move up command
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) I need to move up values in a pivot table to custom order them. When I right-click I see the &quot;Move&quot; menu, but the options to move up, move down, move to beginning and move to end are greyed out. Did you find an answer? Katy MelKC wrote: Pivot table move up command 04-Feb-10 Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) I need to move up values in a pivot table to custom order them. When I right-click I see the &quot;Move&quot; menu, but the options to move up, move d...

grouping highlighted rows
I have a spreadsheet consisting of 100 rows, with 11 columns in each. Different rows are highlighted via "conditional formatting" according to number ranges in some of the cells. I wish to have the highlighted rows move to the top of the list, that is if conditions are met to highlight a row that row would move to the top of the spreadsheet joining all other highlighted rows. I would want the highlighted rows to be sorted alphabetically, followed by the non-highlighted rows sorted alphabetically. Typically there are approximately 15 to 30 out of 100 rows that are highlighte...

deactivate the get pivot formula when I link a cell to a pivot
Currently I using excel 2003, but every time when I link the cell to a pivot table it will convert to a "Get pivot" formula. Is there any way I could deactivate it? See Debra Dalgleish's website for instructions: http://www.contextures.com/xlPivot06.html Does that help? *********** Regards, Ron XL2002, WinXP-Pro "hwtradezheng" wrote: > Currently I using excel 2003, but every time when I link the cell to a pivot > table it will convert to a "Get pivot" formula. Is there any way I could > deactivate it? ...

new to group and Microsoft Office XP Professional 2002 HELP!
I set up a financial statement spreadsheet. Every thing worked fine. I imported a financial statement spreadsheet as Worksheet 1 in a workbook The spreadsheet is Worksheet 2 in the same workbook. The two sheets are not linked in any way. The problem is when I make changes to sheet 1, Eexcel causes the same changes to be made in Sheet 2. Does anyone know why? Many thanks in advance. Paul Hi Paul, You probably have both sheets selected. You can check if both tabs are highlighted. Expicitly click the one tab you require to be selected and everything should work as you expect. -- Kind R...

Auto filter and Pivot Table
Is it possible to auto filter data, and use it as input to a Pivot table? When I run a test where I first auto filter, I initially had 20000 rows, and the auto filter reduced it to 12000 rows. But when I go to crearte a pivot table on the filtered data, I am back to a total record count of 20000. Am I combining apples and oranges? If so, is there a way to filter data, before it gets inputed to a Pivot table? -- RandyLewisKemp ------------------------------------------------------------------------ RandyLewisKemp's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&use...

Migrate users and groups to a new 2003 DC
I'm in the process of setup a new 2003 DC, with all updates integrated. This will take place in the same hardware that today is not a DC. Does exist a method to migrate users and groups, so the shares permissions wouldn't need to be setup again? Thanks. On Thu, 7 Jan 2010 23:43:09 -0200, "Tyler Durden" <abuse@antispam.org> wrote: >I'm in the process of setup a new 2003 DC, with all updates integrated. This >will take place in the same hardware that today is not a DC. Does exist a >method to migrate users and groups, so the shares perm...

Strange Icon
I have noticed a strange picture/icon (Can't paste it here) A small icon with a Blue J and a yellow background. I can identify it or it's purpose. Anyone know what it is? What it does? Thank and Seasons Greeting! What version of Excel are you using? Where/when does the icon appear? HW wrote: > I have noticed a strange picture/icon (Can't paste it here) A small icon > with a Blue J and a yellow background. I can identify it or it's purpose. > > Anyone know what it is? What it does? > > Thank and Seasons Greeting! -- Debra...

Pivot Table Update?
I have an existing pivot table that works OK - but I want it to recognise and automatically update when a new line of data is input - how can I do this? -- ajames ------------------------------------------------------------------------ ajames's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=31502 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=514328 Use a dynamic range name--one that grows and contracts with your data. See Debra Dalgeish's site for some nice tips: http://contextures.com/xlNames01.html#Dynamic Then all you'll hav...

Pivot Charts #4
Is there a way to change the pivot chart without changing the table in the process? ...

Pivot Table #5
Dear Reader, I got a block of data in Excel - sheet 1 (26 columns by 806 rows). I try to create a pivot table on sheet 2 BUT whenever I try to add more objects to the layout I receive the following error: "MS Excel cannot make this change because there are too many row or column items drag at least one row or column item off the pivot table, or to the page position..." What can I do to display all the data? Please help, this is rather urgent! Thanks From a post by Tom Ogilvy: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=157486 XL97: Limits of PivotTables in Microsoft Excel 97 (Q15748...