Percentage increase in excel

Hi,

I have a column showing profit over one year and i would like to
calculate the percentage increase each month.

For example my columns might be as follows.

Jan - �3000
Feb - �4500
Mar - �7000
Apr - �9000
etc.

So i need to calculate the percentage increase from Jan to Feb and so
on.

Does anybody know the formula?

Thanks

--
fibregrid
fibregrid's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=25707

fibregrid Wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a column showing profit over one year and i would like to
> calculate the percentage increase each month.
>
> For example my columns might be as follows.
>
> Jan - �3000
> Feb - �4500
> Mar - �7000
> Apr - �9000
> etc.
>
> So i need to calculate the percentage increase from Jan to Feb and so
> on.
>
> Does anybody know the formula?
>
> Thanks

Enter this formula in Cell B2 (corresponding to the month of February)
and copy down until Cell B12.

*=(B2-B1)/B1 *

Regards.

--
BenjieLop

BenjieLop's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=11019
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=401911

How do you change the column names in Excel?
You cannot change the A, B, C headers. A workaround is to use Row 1 for a titles row then select A2 and Window>Freeze Panes so that Row 1 with the titles remains in view when you scroll. Select B2 instead if you also want Column A to remain in view. You can turn off the A, B, C, etc. by going to Tools>Options>View and uncheck "row and column headers". Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Fri, 20 May 2005 13:41:05 -0700, "flutterfly" <flutterfly@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: ...

using excel from dotnet
situation: I'm working on a new app in vbexpress 2008 using acad com interop Also need to write extracted data to excel. problem: At home(laptop) i have excel 10. At the office excel 12. (both seem to have excel5 listed in refs.) I need to work at both locations. can i reference both 10 and 12 in the same vbproj (i think not) can i just reference 5 and is that just an older version with common (but not the latest) interface? i guess i can just have 2 vbproj files (one on laptop one at work) and just copy the .vb class files that are being edited back and forth, not cop...

Linking Columns to Excel Worksheets
On the column format, after selecting WKS under the "type", how do you designate which worksheet for FRx to pull from? If you are not using a tree, in the row format you go to column H, click on the link icon (or click link on the toolbar) and select thaat column H is a GL + Worksheet, enter your spreadsheet and you map the rows using the format: @WKS (B=C5,C=D5,D=E5...) Where B is your Column format column (that has WKS in it) and C5, D5, E5 ... are your spreadsheet cells. Note, use commas, not spaces (spaces don't work in SP3,4 and 5) and keep an eye on the number o...

Excel autosave
An employee worked on an excel spreadsheet for 3 hours and never saved her work. The program was shut down and the computer was shut down. Can data be retrieved from some magical autosave function. Any help would be greatly appreciated and save critical time and money. Sam When you reopen Excel it should give you a list of files that were open when the program crashed. The latest autosave of the spreadsheet should be there Good luck John >-----Original Message----- >An employee worked on an excel spreadsheet for 3 hours and never saved >her work. The program was shut down a...

percentages...
If I want to make a spreadsheet with the number of times a player has turned out for his team in a season, what is the formula to put in the cell. For example, John Philips has made 15 appearances out of a possible 22. I do not want to put in the formula sum=15/22*100 as I wish to simply tupe 15 in the cell and get it to change the cells contents to 68%. I know how to get it to put this figure into another cell, but how do I get it to do it in the same cell as the info I type. Is this possible? Secondly, if I have the said mr.Philip' percentages for the last say eight years, how can I get ...

Excel specifications and limits
See link below for Excel 2003 specification and limits: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HP051992911033.aspx How about for Excel 97 & 2000? Can you send me also the link for their limits? Me Description of Excel 2000 specifications http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;264626 I had no luck w/ Excel 97, although I know it exists somewhere. In fact, I have not been able to find anything since Microsoft recently "improved" their kb article search engine. -- Dana DeLouis Win XP & Office 2003 "A P" <ap@textguru.ph> wrote i...

Convert an Access program to Excel
With help, I created an Access program that I want to convert to an Excel program if possible. Program used Buttons that when hit calculated information input into several boxes and then caused a dialog box to open with a value and a message depending on the value calculated. Would like to know if you can do this same sort of thing in Excel. David Undoubtedly, Excel will be able to do this, but it will need, probably, to be re-written. If the dialogues used were VBA MsgBox and VBA InputBox or MSUserForms it will be easy, as these are common to all office applications, but if they ar...

tax percentage field Functionality to automatically calculate taxe
Microsoft Dynamics CRM 3.0 should include a tax percentage field or the functionality to automatically calculate taxes. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=a287...

Excel Footer will not delete permanently
Excel 2000 insists on retaining an unwanted footer in the left footer window, even after being deleted and/or replaced. The unwanted footer is popped in automatically when the Print Menu or the Print Preview function is invoked. I've deleted all macros, Custom Views, and the Report Manager, to no avail. It appears to be popping in the unwanted footer from the MRU List in the footer window. 1) How do I eliminate this nuisance? 2) How do I delete the Footer MRU list? Thank you. ...

percentages
Hi people, I'm new to this excel stuff. I am trying to make a 12-month budget plan, and one of the tasks was to increase an expense by 5%. So like for january I start with $50 and then I have to increase the next month by 5%. Is there a formula for this? I need help!! ASAP!!! Thanks. "Dee" wrote: > So like for january I start with $50 and then I > have to increase the next month by 5%. Is there > a formula for this? Yes. If the Jan amount is in A1, and Feb should be 5% more, computed in A2, the formula would be: =ROUND(A1*(1+5%),2) If you copy t...

excel 2002 pagenumbering when workbook is along y-axis instaed
I hope I did not confuse you with x and y. x is starting from left sheet 1, sheet 2, etc. Y means i use sheet 1, and then copy and paste below, it successivley 2, 3, etc. Then I select the whole vertical area as the print area. I do page break and get say 7 pages How do i number these automatically as 1 of 7, 2 of 7, 3 of 7--- How do i number these as 2 of 8, 3 of 8, etc. if I have the cover sheet as a Word document, which i have numbered as 1 of 8 ? Thank you very much Why not just print the selected sheets without copying all to one sheet? Right-click on sheet1 then "select al...

Disabling some MS Excel warnings.
I have a .xls file that presents a graph from an external .csv file. I have it set to refresh the external data automatically on reopening the .xls file. It works fine for the most part but Excel gives me two warnings everytime I use the file that annoy me: 1. Upon opening the .xls file, Excel gives me a warning about how automatic refreshes can be malicious and forces me to select whether to enable them or not. 2. Upon exiting, Excel prompts me with a save dialog. It is true that the data changes (I have it set to clear the external data on close so the .xls file takes up less space)...

Grouping columns in excel
H, I've used the grouping function in the past to make a series of columns collapsable. This has been very useful for reading and cross referencing in documents with lots of columns. Now I have a document with few columns, but each column is very wide. I want to give column its own plus and minus button so that I can close any column, or selection of columns, as I need. If I try to do this, unsurprisingkly with a feature called "group", all the columns are added to the first plus/minus button. Is there any way that I can give each column its own plus/minus button? Tha...

code for auto import from excel to Access97
Thanks for the previous help. I now need some direction in setting code to automatically import data from excel into Access97. I have set up my queries for the import, and it works like a champ. Before I can run that query, I have to manually import the excell data into a specially named table. I would like a command that would allow the importing of the excel data (.csv) into the specially named table, then append that data into 3 seperate tables, which is done using my queries. I would like this command to be placed in one of my "switchboard" menus, but I don't se...

percentages
How do you format a percentage in the last column? The first column consists of a total, the in-between columns are totals for the day, and the last column takes the first columns total and subtracts all the columns in between and gets a total. I need the last column to be a percentage of the first column. I want it to tell me a percentage of the orginal total. For example I need to know when the orginal total is down to 50%. Hope someone can help me. Thanks Jo Newkirk:) ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet ...

Excel Font Problem
Every time I enter a number <1 into my Excel worksheet, it prints in white which is too hard to see. I have the font set at black. How do I get ALL the numbers to print in black One thing to possibly check: 1. Tools > Options > Color and try Reset. HTH Select those cells and see what Format>Conditional Formattting reveals. Sounds like you have a setting that whites the font on values <1 Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 08:09:04 -0700, Heather S <Heather S@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Every time I enter a number <1 into my Excel worksheet, ...

Percentages? How?
I am currently running a price guide that looks as follows: A B C D E F Item Price Cost SRP GP% Retail Unit Column C is the Customer's Cost per Retail unit (F) Column D is the Suggested Retail Price Column E is the Gross Profit Percentage Column E is =(D1-C1)/D1 to arrive at the GP%. *Now* I want to reverse the process! I need to type a percentage into E and have D pop up automatically. (I.e., instead of typing in an SRP of $2.50 on an item that costs $1.36 to arrive at a GP of 45.6%, I want to type 40% and find out what the SRP woul...

EXCEL SAVE PROBLEM
Excel is saving worksheets with a number rather than the name given to it. What causes Excel to do this and is there any way to prevent it. I am using Excel 2000. I am on a network but the sheet is saved to the local drive. ...

Bypassing the Security Warning when opening Excel file
I've got an Access application that has to read some data (and perform some manipulation of it) from several Excel files. Unfortunately, when I either import or link the Excel spreadsheets, Access is misinterpreting a field type and I am losing data. Because of this, I am using automation to open Excel and read the records one row at a time, doing the appropriate data type conversions. Unfortunately, I keep getting the annoying macro security warning whenever I open the Excel files. Is there a way to bypass this warning and disable the Excel macros programmatically? Give this...

speed up mailbox size increases
we have an AD structure with a NLB EXCH 2003 FE and a clustered 2003 BE. We have a developed application that manages mailboxes, assigns the mailbox quota, and manages the email addresses. If a user asks for a larger mailbox quota, we change it within the application, and the application immediately changes it in AD. Unfortunately it seems like quite a lengthy process between when AD knows about the change and the Exchange server starts to act on the new quota amount. Is there a way I can tweak either AD or Exchange so that the changes occur on a more regular basis. Typically it tak...

Converting files for Excel
How do I convert *.wdb and *.mdb files and bring into excel? I have files from other people that made lists in access. In Excel there is no listing for these files. Any help? Open the access file and highlight the table you want to export t excel. go to File/Export In the Save type as: box click on the drop down and pick microsof excel In the save in: box click on the drop down and pick what excel file th table will be imported to and highlight. Click Save Hope this helps you. Larr -- keithl81 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- keithl816's ...

VC6++ and Excel
I write a program that can create a Excel file,But I don't know if it can be used in a PC whitout Excel installed If its possiable,what objects must be installed with may program,and should i register it to Windows registery? hi, I assume that you have used Excel's automation objects to create the xls file. If that is the case, then you cannot run your program if excel is not installed. I don't know what are the DLLs that are required to do it seperately. hth gangadhar cheng wrote: > I write a program that can create a Excel file,But I don't know if it can be used i...

Inventory using excel
I am using an excel spredsheet to keep inventory of parts, I have: A-item B-min level C-items used D-items recvd E-items on hand 1 2 abc 5 1 0 4 3 def 1 0 1 2 I am using formula : E2=B2-C2+D2 However while this work for first time, when i try and input new used item i have to manually add new used to exiting used to get right total for items on hand. I will be typing new data in c2 or d2 as used or recvd and would like e2 to keep udated totals...

Excel 2003 Trashes Imported Dates
My local date in Windows/Reional & Language options is DD/MM/YYYY So how come Excel 2003 trashes dates imported from MYOB Accounting for the 1st to the 12th of each month, and treats my MYOB DD/MM/YYYY dates as if they were MM/DD/YYYY ?? Can someone get the folks (clowns ?) at MS to FIX this problem A.S.A.P. please ?? Is there a work-around / script to fix this ? Am getting thoroughly sick of having to manually fix the dates in ledger reports exported to Excel 2003. (This problem doesn't occur in Excel 2000) kyeoward@hotmail.com Alice Springs NT Australia 27/04/2005 On Wed, 2...

How do I increase font size in the reading pane in Outlook 2007?
Previous versions had a command button to cycle through font sizes tiny > small > normal > big > tiny > ... The nearest I can get in Outlook 2007 is to open the received email in edit mode and then select all and then choose a font size via a font dialog. Silicon.Com sends a weekly newsletter out in HTML using a very small font, which I need to enlarge for comfortable reading. Surely I've missed a very simple command button, but searching local and on-line help for "increase font size" etc. brings no help. ...