Pasword protected Excel file encrypted, how do I read this file?

I password protected an important file.  My husband downloaded the Office
2003 upgrade last night.  Now when I try to access the file I get this
message...This is an Excel file, I don't know why it looks encrypted or why I
can't access it.

This file is not in a recognizable format.

If you know the file is from another program which is incompatible with
Microsoft Office Excel, click Cancel, then open this file in its orginal
application.  If you want to open the file later in Microsoft office Excel,
save it in a format that is compatible, such as text format.

If you suspect the file is damaged, click Help for moare information about
solving the problem.

If you still want to see what text is contained in the file, chlick OK.
Then clieck Finish in the Text Import Wizard.
0
jonesteam (1)

One thing that could have gone wrong (majorly wrong, so cross your fingers this
isn't it!) is that you could have done your work in MSWord--not excel.

Can you open that file (better make a copy first!) in MSWord.

Open MSWord
file|open your workbook

If it opens ok here, then you may have saved it in MSWord--destroying the
"excelness" of your data.

You can copy and paste (into a new excel workbook) to save as much as you
can--but I'm hoping that you have a backup somewhere.

--

Dave Peterson
0

Was the file an old one you had kicking around from a much older version of
Excel......pre-95?

Perhaps it got opened once in Word then inadvertantly saved in Word Format?

Are you trying to open it directly from removable media such as a floppy or
CD?

Try copying first to Hard Drive then opening.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 08:05:02 -0800, jonesteam
<jonesteam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I password protected an important file.  My husband downloaded the Office
>2003 upgrade last night.  Now when I try to access the file I get this
>message...This is an Excel file, I don't know why it looks encrypted or why I
>can't access it.
>
>This file is not in a recognizable format.
>
>If you know the file is from another program which is incompatible with
>Microsoft Office Excel, click Cancel, then open this file in its orginal
>application.  If you want to open the file later in Microsoft office Excel,
>save it in a format that is compatible, such as text format.
>
>If you suspect the file is damaged, click Help for moare information about
>solving the problem.
>
>If you still want to see what text is contained in the file, chlick OK.
>Then clieck Finish in the Text Import Wizard.
0
Gord

Lotus Macros do not convert to Excel
Does anyone have a clue as to why I cannot get all of the Macros in the Lotus spreadsheet to work when it is opened and converted to Excel? Thanks -- bb Excel used to run 1-2-3 macros (up until the first release of Excel 97, later SPs removed that from Excel 97 as a virus issue) but none since. -- Jim Rech Excel MVP "becky" <becky@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:45CF2C7E-A930-426A-AFB4-F892ECE171E5@microsoft.com... | Does anyone have a clue as to why I cannot get all of the Macros in the Lotus | spreadsheet to work when it is opened and converted to E...

Change Axis in Excel 2007
Hello, I am trying to change the format of the Axis in my chart to a number format but for some reason it will not work. The data that my chart is based on is in Number format, the Axis is percentage format. I've tried everything I can think of and nothing seems to work. Any help will be greatly appreciated. In EXCEL 2007 check the following for the axis with which you are having a problem:- 1. Click on the axis with which you are having a problem (I have clicked on the Y axis which is formatted as Number in my underlying data). 2. Chart Tools / Format / Curre...

Drawing Explorer
I've recently upgraded to 2003. I was almost positive that in 2002 I had the option to protect the document with a password. However, in vis 2003 i don't see a password option? How do I keep my users from just opening up the explorer and just un-checking the protection. This feature was removed from Visio 2003 because the password simply wasn't secure enough. Rather than give users a false sense of security, we removed the feature. We are exploring ways to offer more robust protection in the future and would like to hear more about the scenarios where you want document p...

Excel Formula Question
Hi there. I need to figure out how many items in a column fall between a certain range. I have a list of 354 numbers, and I want to find how many cells contain numbers between 1000 and 10000, and return that number to me. I have explored the help and on-line resources, but cannot find an answer to this. Can anyone help? Thanks Steve Page Hi, Assuming that your list is in Column A: =SUMPRODUCT((A1:A100>1000)*(A1:A100<10000)) Adjust the range according to your data. Hope this helps -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com That works perfectly. Thanks a million. "...

Excel 2007 Chart creation #2
When I use the Ctrl key to select more than one range, not all of the ranges "selected" are selected. It only selects one X axis range and one Y axis range from several selected ranges. Do I need to activate something somewhere to make it work right? There is nothing to activate - this is a Windows not an Excel feature. In A1:A54 I have: x, 1,2,3,4 In B1:B5 I have: y, 5, 6, 7,8 In C there is junk I do not want to chart In D1:D5 I have: z, 4,5,6,7 I select A1:B5 in the normal way. Then I hold down CTRL and, while it is down, I drag the mouse over D1:D5 Now I have two ranges sele...

Protection of charts
How can I protect a chart? Do I have to leave it in a worksheet? Jon Peltier has instructions on his web site for protecting charts: http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/ChartProtection.html Herman wrote: > How can I protect a chart? > Do I have to leave it in a worksheet? -- Debra Dalgleish Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html ...

Pasword protected Excel file encrypted, how do I read this file?
I password protected an important file. My husband downloaded the Office 2003 upgrade last night. Now when I try to access the file I get this message...This is an Excel file, I don't know why it looks encrypted or why I can't access it. This file is not in a recognizable format. If you know the file is from another program which is incompatible with Microsoft Office Excel, click Cancel, then open this file in its orginal application. If you want to open the file later in Microsoft office Excel, save it in a format that is compatible, such as text format. If you suspect the...

Excel File Portection/Password
I have an excel document created in excel 02. I now need to open the doc in excel 2000. It is pwd protected but it won't open in excel 2000. Is there a work around? Hi Drew the file should open in Excel 2000 without a problem (after entering the password of course). What kind of error do you get? -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Drew wrote: > I have an excel document created in excel 02. I now need > to open the doc in excel 2000. It is pwd protected but it > won't open in excel 2000. Is there a work around? Hi Frank, It says the password is wrong. Thi...

capitalization in Excel
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) I have been sent a spreadsheet with 10 columns - all in capital letters. Is there some way that I can automatically uncapipitalize the letters? Thank you. Driving me nuts - Too much to retype. You can use =proper(a1) or =lower(a1). <br><br>> I have been sent a spreadsheet with 10 columns - all in capital letters. Is there some way that I can automatically uncapipitalize the letters? Thank you. Driving me nuts - Too much to retype. ...

how can i remove workbook protection setting???
i try to work with data analayze and do a regression to my numbers but when i start this function there is an error and an instant message inform me that i should change my workbook protection setting! how can i change it??? Tools>protection>unprotect workbook, since you say it is "your" workbook I am sure you know the password? Regards, Peo Sjoblom "raviv" wrote: > i try to work with data analayze > and do a regression to my numbers > but when i start this function there is an error and an instant message > inform me that i should change my workb...

Spell Checking in Protected Sheet
I have a worksheet intended for user input. Some of the input will be text. The worksheet is protected so the users do not change the protected values. However, when the worksheet is protected the spell checking is disabled. Does anyone know how to allow the spelling to be checked in the unprotected cells? Thanks, Mike Paul, Thanks for your response. But can't the user look at the macro and see the password? Mike >-----Original Message----- >Mike, here is one way, password for sheet in this macro is 123, assign this >to a button on the sheet > >Sub spellcheck() &...

Excel puts spaces after the decimal
When I type 1.50 in any cell in any worksheet Excel displays it as 1. 50. I have checked the decimal points in the format number, currency etc as well as in Tools , options I even checked my Windows settings and re-installed Excel but the problem still stays. PLEASE can somebody help. Did you check under Tools|Autocorrect Options to see if there was something changing the dot to dot-space-space? Isabel wrote: > > When I type 1.50 in any cell in any worksheet Excel displays it as 1. 50. I > have checked the decimal points in the format number, currency etc as well as > in...

Excel Pie Chart and Chart tips
I was wondering if anyone knows a way to change the "chart tip" that pops up when you move the mouse over a slice of a pie chart. I want to be able to customize the contests of the tip that pops up. Assume for a moment that you have enabled "names" and "values" (Tools--->Options---> Chart and check the two boxes under chart tips). When I move the mouse over a pie slice a floating box will pop up that says: Series 1 Point "xxxxx" Value: xx (yy%) I would like to be able to customize these chart tips. Thanks. Mike Check out the Auto Hover uti...

How do I get hyperlinks, from previous version of excel, to work .
Since I have upgraded to a new computer, and Excel 2003, I cannot get my existing hyperlinks to work. Additionally, I can create hyperlinks, but when I click on them, I get a message that states that the specified file cannot be opened. ...

Tab Delimited Files
I have been using a tab delimited file for some time now. After upgrading to Office 2003, whenever I open the file it brings up a message that says the file may have been altered by another person, and makes me decided between saving a copy, or to ignore any possible changes. The file is stored on a network drive, but I am the only person that edits it. Is there a way to make it stop asking me this every time I open the file? Hi see: http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#AlreadyOpen -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Ryan" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.co...

protected tabbing
In a large spreadsheet there are 5 columns that are used to insert manual numbers, the rest are locked and protected. Of the 5 columns, 3 are used repeatedly and 2 are seldom used. When the sheet is protected I can tab quickly to the unprotected cells to insert the manual numbers. How can I tab to the cells in the 3 repeatedly used columns but not the 2 seldom used. I want the 2 seldom used columns to be accessed, to manually insert numbers, by clicking on the cells but not by tabbing. Regards, Gary ...

moving excel in word back to excel
I rec'd a doc in word that was clearly originally done in excel. I need to put it back in excel, but when I cut and paste, the format is way off. Any help with this is greatly appreciated. Thank you. -- Briton ...

Excel 2007 does not preserve sheet protection
I am experiencing problems with excel 2007. My users created various sheets and protected some columns with password. This work was done with excel 2000/XP/2003. Sometimes they have to copy one sheet of these workbooks to a new sheet, maintaining columns protection. With excel version previous to Excel 2007 there was no problem. With this new version (and with SP1 applied) column protecion gets lost during copy. Before copying the sheet is protected, and you must enter password to unlock it. The new copy is unprotected, even if I don't enter passwords before copying. Any help would...

Converting Excel to HTML
Hi, Can you pls. help me How to convert excel to HTML and use pivots in HTML? Christ ...

Cannot access Excel
I have Office Pro 23003 SP3. When I either double click on a spreadsheet or the Excel icon itself, the Excel application does not come up. No error messages or the hour glass. It just does not come up. Word, Powerpoint and the others come up without any problems. Any help would be appreciated. Update. Excel is now working. I did a system restore and it worked. "parkman1947" wrote: > I have Office Pro 23003 SP3. When I either double click on a spreadsheet or > the Excel icon itself, the Excel application does not come up. No error > messages or the hour glass....

protect row color
I have a spread shhet that I have alternating row colors. If I do a data sort it moves the color along with the data. How do I protect the rows format so this does not happen Sounds as if the rows were coloured manually. Remove the colours, select the rows to shade using Format|Conditional Formatting. One way to specify every second row is MOD(ROW(),2)=0 Bernard "KIRK" <awm@cyberport.net> wrote in message news:1c4bd01c38850$83f15ba0$a601280a@phx.gbl... > I have a spread shhet that I have alternating row colors. > If I do a data sort it moves the color along with the &...

Legend box position resetting when reopening file
I'm trying to get the legend to stay anchored above the chart by setting the alignment to 'top', however whenever reopening the file, the legend falls to being within the chart itself. Every time I reposition the legend either manually or through the alignment tool, it resets to being within the chart. Help please! ...

How to uncompress a PST file ?
Hi ! In Outlook 2000, due to some size problems, a PST file has been compressed using the tool in Outlook. The size went from 1.5GB to ~800MB which is nice. However, now, every now and then, Outlook freezes for 1 or 2 minutes, and then return to normal. This is not acceptable, and I'd rather go with a huge file, rather than wait.... I had a save of the old pst file, but it's been a week now, and there are at least 500 new emails that I would need to save and re-import into outlook. So, do you know a way to uncompress a pst file ? Or to easily import the newer emails into the ol...

Paswords
This is the first new client that I have that is using POS. The problem is that she can't remember her user name and password (I did not do the install). Is there an overall administrative password? Can I delete the password file (what is it)? Thanks Jeff The default admin login and password in RMS is "1" for userid and "password" for password; if that doesn't work you can query the cashier table in Store Ops Administrator - connect to your database and run select * from cashier this will return the results you are looking for... to connect to the databas...

Excel Saving problem
Hi, I am using vb.NET code to create Excel. I am using Office XP professional. .NET framework 1.1 is used. Now when I save any Excel from my .NET code, a short cut (.lnk file) is created for that particular xls file and containing folder. This is really strange problem. I have not coded for creating short cut. Please help me in this regard. Thanks and Regards, Shishir --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ ...