Pasting into merged cells #3

I want to copy information from an area that doesn't have merged cells to an
area that has merged cells.  When I do this I either get an error message or
when I use the Paste values and number formats it only pastes every other
entry.  Is there another way to paste that I don't know of that will paste
into the merged cells?
--
Thanks,
Nikki

Hi
best would be to get rid of merged cells.
You could of course paste cell by cell

"Nikki" wrote:

> I want to copy information from an area that doesn't have merged cells to an
> area that has merged cells.  When I do this I either get an error message or
> when I use the Paste values and number formats it only pastes every other
> entry.  Is there another way to paste that I don't know of that will paste
> into the merged cells?
> --
> Thanks,
> Nikki
0
frank.kabel (11126)
10/25/2004 3:17:04 PM
hi,
Merged cells will always give you that problem. best to
get rid of the merged cells.

0
anonymous (74717)
10/25/2004 3:32:38 PM
"=?Utf-8?B?Tmlra2k=?=" <Nikki@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

> I want to copy information from an area that doesn't have merged cells
> to an area that has merged cells.  When I do this I either get an
> error message or when I use the Paste values and number formats it
> only pastes every other entry.  Is there another way to paste that I
> don't know of that will paste into the merged cells?

An old post, I know, but I just found the solution to my problem, which was
similar to yours - and no, the soluton isn't "Don't do it", which seems to
be what people pontificate when they don't have the answer.

Simpy, do a "paste special" and select "formula". This works for me when I
need to paste text.

Now anyone else with the same problem can Google this answer.

jaybee
0
invalid (293)
5/11/2005 11:42:39 PM
"Don't do it" is not "what people pontificate when they don't have the
answer," it's what people pontificate when they know that merged cells
are the spawn of Satan and cause far more problems than they are worth...

In article <Xns9653C8824985Djebouchard451yahooca@204.153.244.170>,
 "Jacques E. Bouchard" <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> and no, the soluton isn't "Don't do it", which seems to
> be what people pontificate when they don't have the answer.
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)

Mail merge duplications in Outlook
I am attempting an e-mail merge for a letter written in Word with my Excel list as I had done in previous versions of Word. When I do this, multiple copies of the the e-mail are sent to the e-mail recipients and the <<name>> field transposes different names from other records. The sent items appears correctly in the Outlook sent folder? My Outlook is setup to send/receive through a Pop3 Account. Has anybody encountered a similar problem or does anybody know of a fix? Thanks in adavance for your help! Eric ...

Paste special treats cells as a picture
I just got a new computer, and a newer version of excel, which is great, but whenever I try to copy from one file to another, my paste special function treats the copied cells as a picture. Instead of the normal paste special popup, where it asks me how I want the data to come out, I get a different popup that shows the source as a "Microsoft Office Excel Worksheet Object." It asks me what format I want the picture to come out as, and gives me a list of different file formats. If I try to just paste a link, it puts a picture of the other file on the new one. I talked to so...

Data merge from Excel 2007
I am creating a series of open house flyers in Publisher 2007 which will pull their data from an Excel 2007 data source. I am using the Catalog Merge function. I want to be able to determine the numeric format in the merged document, but so far I am not able to do that. I have made a table in the Excel source file and saved it. The table is in a named range. I have gone into My Data Sources and created a new ODBC connection to the named range. This opens a new Excel workbook. In Publisher, I start the Catalog Merge wizard, then connect to the data source. I drag the desired fields into the ...

formatting for mail merge
When I enter text, then alt-enter, there is a "return" when I mail merge - but if I do another alt-enter to create a blank space, that one doesn't merge. Example in the excel cell, I type: dsfkdfjkfj ;akdfjdkjf ;kdjf df alt-enter alt-enter asldefj alskdjfk ;akfj dflkj alt-enter I want this to export as: dsfkdfjkfj ;akdfjdkjf ;kdjf df asldefj alskdjfk ;akfj dflkj But it exports as: dsfkdfjkfj ;akdfjdkjf ;kdjf df asldefj alskdjfk ;akfj dflkj Any way to fix this? Since one return works, why doesn't the second one? Thanks! Maybe try ...

Will excel 2003 format a cell to the year?
It seems like it should be obvious, but I am finding it impossible to get excel to do a date format that recognizes a year. Is there some way? I typed a date in A1 (09/28/2006) and used format|Cells|number tab|custom category|yyyy with my USA settings. kateofmd@msn.com wrote: > > It seems like it should be obvious, but I am finding it impossible to > get excel to do a date format that recognizes a year. Is there some > way? -- Dave Peterson ...

Conditional format
Hi Conditional format Is there a way to get a cell's format determined by the format of a different cell?! e.g. Could one get an entire row market up in say bold red if one cell in that row was say less than 100 With thanks Ship Shiperton Henethe Hi Shiperton yep ) select the rows that you want to apply the conditional formatting to, ensuring that the first row of this group is the first row at the top of the screen (it gets confused sometimes if it isn't) the following example assums you've selected from row 2 onwards and you want the row to turn red if ...

Copy and paste formula; Value pastes instead
Excel 2002 I've tried starting several worksheets, checking formats, pasting special (formula only). For some reason the formula actually copies OK by looking at the formula bar, but the value in the cell is identical to the value of the copied cell.Incorrect. Tried even the simplest formulas with no joy. BK ...

badmail directory #3
Hi- A couple of quick questions. I have a new Exchange 2003 server w/ about 50 users on it. After about a month I have yet to get anything delivered to the badmail directory. I do have IMF running on this server. The badmail directory is setup and in the correct place. Any ideas? Also are there any utilities (other than perfmon) that will show stats about how many emails are going in/out of the server, how many emails to specific users, smtpd errors that would show mail sent to incorrect user names etc? Imail has an analyzer tool that shows a lot of this info. Thanks! -Glen Do you ha...

Merge Records issue in 3.0
The regular CRM user is having issue merging records (Contacts specifically) in 3.0. Gets the error " This login does not have the permissions to merge.............." this happens in web client as well as Laptop client. Has anyone encountered this issue? Any pointers will be helpful. You need to enable merge privilege for a role so users with that role can merge records. The merge privilege is listed under Business Management tab for that role (under misc. privileges section in that tab) -- Jagan Peri Microsoft Business Solutions CRM This posting is provided "AS IS"...

"Paste Special" with the right click mouse
I would like to have the option of "Paste Special" with the right click mouse in all microsoft office suite. Thanks, ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?mid=de847738-df56-4...

how do i switch colum 3 and colum 34 ex.
Suggestion - ask your question in the message part of the form - not the subject part! Try inserting a column before column 3(C??) and column 34(AH??). Highlight column 3(C??) and drag it to the new column by column 34(AH??). Highlight the other column and drag it to the new column by column 3. Delete the two old columns. Note that the positions of the columns will change when you add the two new onex. I hope this helps. I don't know what you mean by 34 ex. Carole O "cocochef" wrote: > Select column 3. Hold SHIFT key and move mouse pointer down to edge of ...

Clipboard pasting
I copy something to the clipboard using Publisher 2007 and the computer tells me it is in the clipboard; however, when I go to paste that information into another document, Publisher acts like it is not there. I then need to close the document I wish to paste it into, reopen it, and then, like magic, there is the information in the clipboard and I am able to paste it. UGH!!!!!! -- Ginger Christenson Open the Office Clipboard in Publisher. Edit, Office Clipboard. What program are you pasting to? If it is an Office program, open the Office Clipboard in that program too. -- Mary Sauer ...

Pasting formulas advances cell reference
Hi When i paste special from one cell into another, it advances the cell reference and i just want an exact match i.e. A1 formula ='Feb 2010'!C18 but when i paste it into another cell it pastes it as ='Feb 2010'!D18 The C changes to D, how do i stop this happening? Thanks for any help in advance Derek Use absolute referencing. Below are the different reference styles. A1 Relative referencing. Both column and row will change if you copy or drag the formula. $A1 The column reference is fixed and will not change A$1 The row reference is fixed and wil...

Copy/Paste loop
I have a form on one sheet in excel, on the next sheet i have mad different coloums with different headings. I want the data from th form to be copyed to each heading e.g. name in form is copyed to unde the coloum with title name. So each time a user fills in there details he/she clicks submit an there data is copyed to the next page, like a small database. Is there a macro that can do this as i keep getting different error each time. I want this to continue in a loop Please help!!:confused -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com This might get you started: Option Explicit Opti...

Keep certain cells from moving
I'm sure this will be an easy one, but I can't seem to find the info i help. I'm using Excel 97 and have a simple sheet with a few columns o data. I've setup auto-filters for colums A-E. What I want to to is put some formulas in column F that don't ge blanked out when I use the filters (if they're on a line that doesn' meet the condition I've selected, they dissappear). I'd also like the to give me dynamic totals. For instance, I have dollar amounts attributed to certain people in on column and their names in another. If I use the filter to select o...

Cannot release cell
As soon as I open Excel and click into the first cell, the program will not release the cell. It will not even let me access the Menus above. Is this a software issue? I believe there is a quick keyboard sequence fix but I dont know what it is and can not find the information anywhere (including MS Excel TroubleShoot KnowledgeBase) Do you see EXT in the statusbar (bottom right corner)? If yes, hit the F8 key to toggle this off. Have you tried a different mouse or mouse driver? MEvans wrote: > > As soon as I open Excel and click into the first cell, the program will not > ...

Delivery Error 5.3.5 Message bounces between two servers
Hello When sending an email to a particular address that I know works it does not go through and I get this error: A configuration error in the e-mail system caused the message to bounce between two servers or to be forwarded between two recipients. Contact your administrator. I have searched the knowledge base and found article kb31667 which descibes this problem excatly. However after doing what it told me I still have the problem. I have tested the recepient email address on dnsstuff.com and it works fine. Does anyone know why this is happening and only seems to be to this one ...

When I copy a picture and paste it into Publisher it disappears
I have tried to copy a picture from my documents and paste it into Publisher and the picture disappears. What version of Publisher? What happens if you go to... Insert / Picture / From File? -- John Inzer "Cathy" <Cathy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EF2CA50C-78D9-47DB-8799-E9C3C9171038@microsoft.com... >I have tried to copy a picture from my documents and paste it into >Publisher > and the picture disappears. I am using Office Profession Edition 2003. I tried another picture and so far it is still there. Thanks. "John Inzer"...

need to Copy or Move to active cell from specified range
I may be the last person remaining on earth who still uses the original Lotus 1-2-3 Rel 1A, which I know and love, on an antique DOS machine. I've never had a reason to upgrade to a later version of 1-2-3, and have no idea how it now behaves, but one important feature of Release 1A is that instead of rigidly assuming that Copy or Move will always refer to the contents of the active cell, /c (or /m) followed by Backspace frees the cell pointer without changing the active cell. This means that you can easily perform a "reverse" Copy or Move, by going to the cell you want copied, a...

enter a current date in a cell?
How can I enter a formula in a cell so that when I click on that cell it will show today's date or the current date? You can only get excel to do stuff when you click by using a worksheet change event. If you want to enter the current time or date quickly, try Ctrl+; or Ctrl+Shift+: -- HTH Nick Hodge Microsoft MVP - Excel Southampton, England nick_hodgeTAKETHISOUT@zen.co.uk.ANDTHIS "Tpeyton77" <Tpeyton77@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A6FD36E5-16A5-42C2-B0BA-CB72580199BD@microsoft.com... > How can I enter a formula in a cell so that when I cli...

CRM 3.0 VSS Backup issues
I have a Windows 2003 member server running Microsoft CRM 3.0 with Scribe for SQL sync. My backup (Veritas 10.0) started to fail last Thursday night when backing up the CRM server.Every night sice, the backup has failed and it has always been with the VSS service writers timing out. I downloaded a hotfix from Mircosoft that was supposed to address timeout issues but the backup failed after the hotfix patch. There has been no new software installed between the time the backup succeeded and the time it started failing. The only configuration since has been work to sync our accounting sql...

How to count merged cells
Can someone help me in developing a formula that will: 1. Count how many merged cells in a column that are created from 2 cells AND contain both text and numbers? 2. Count how many merged cells in a column that are created from 3 cells AND contain both text and numbers? 3. Council how may merged cells in a column that are blank. If you look in the archives of this group you will see countless examples of reasons not to use merged cells. To concatenate cells is fine, to merge is asking for trouble. -- David Biddulph "Excel Ella" <ExcelElla@discussions.microsof...

How do I have an active cell highlight automatically
I am working in excel and having trouble seeing the active cell. I would like to have the active cell highlighted. Is this possible? It would make it possible to find the active cell easier. Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range) Cells.FormatConditions.Delete With Target .FormatConditions.Add Type:=xlExpression, Formula1:="TRUE" With .FormatConditions(1) With .Borders(xlTop) .LineStyle = xlContinuous .Weight = xlThin .ColorIndex = 5 End With With .Bo...

Paste and Paste Special
What are the differences between paste and paste special and are these two functions the same for XP software from different sources? e.g Word, Publisher, Ventura and Word Perfect? -- _ _________________________________________ / \._._ |_ _ _ /' Orpheus Internet Services \_/| |_)| |(/_|_|_> / 'Internet for Everyone' _______ | ___________./ http://www.orpheusinternet.co.uk ...

Hide and Protect Cells/Columns in Resource Sheet
I am working in Project 2003 Resource Sheet and have entered Standard Rates for the resources and would like to hide these rates. (Similar to how you would use Custom format to hide cell contents in Excel). Can this be done in Project? I know you can hide a column but anyone can redisplay a hidden column. Is there a way to hide and protect the rates so that other users cannot see them? Thanks for your help. Yes. Delete the rates from any file that you give to anyone who should not see the rates. Hidden, protected. -- Trevor Rabey 0407213955 61 8 92727485 PERFECT PR...