Password/worksheet-accessibility

Is there a way to protect  worksheets from being viewed at all, not password
protected from modifications only?
I have a workbook set up with 9 spreadsheets that will be specific to
certain users, I do not want all users/viewers to be able to see each
worksheet, just the one labelled for them?
I am working with excel 97 and 8 of the 9 spreadsheets are all linked to the
master spreadsheet within that one workbook. I am trying to avoid having to
create individual workbooks.
0
tmack2511 (2)

thier is propaply a tider way to do this but something like

Private Sub Auto_Open()

Sheets("viewer 1").Visible = False
Sheets("viewer 2").Visible = False
Sheets("viewer 3").Visible = False
Sheets("viewer 4").Visible = False
Sheets("viewer 5").Visible = False
Sheets("viewer 6").Visible = False
Sheets("viewer 7").Visible = False
Sheets("viewer 8").Visible = False
Sheets("viewer 9").Visible = False

resp = InputBox("user password")
If resp = "password 1" Then Sheets("viewer 1").Visible = True
If resp = "password 2" Then Sheets("viewer 2").Visible = True
If resp = "password 3" Then Sheets("viewer 3").Visible = True
If resp = "password 4" Then Sheets("viewer 4").Visible = True
If resp = "password 5" Then Sheets("viewer 5").Visible = True
If resp = "password 6" Then Sheets("viewer 6").Visible = True
If resp = "password 7" Then Sheets("viewer 7").Visible = True
If resp = "password 8" Then Sheets("viewer 8").Visible = True
If resp = "password 9" Then Sheets("viewer 9").Visible = True

End Sub

0
r.mcc (21)
1/3/2006 4:14:02 AM
If your users have enough savvy to find these newsgroups, they'll find
that they can unprotect any workbook using widely available methods. For
instance, see:

    http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/removepwords.html

and

    http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/fileandvbapwords.html

If instead they aren't likely to have even a modicum of curiosity, you
can find many suggestions in the archives:

    http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search?as_ugroup=*excel*

In article <4191BA59-AEF0-4735-A032-2F5B31838DA7@microsoft.com>,
 tmack2511 <tmack2511@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Is there a way to protect  worksheets from being viewed at all, not password
> protected from modifications only?
> I have a workbook set up with 9 spreadsheets that will be specific to
> certain users, I do not want all users/viewers to be able to see each
> worksheet, just the one labelled for them?
> I am working with excel 97 and 8 of the 9 spreadsheets are all linked to the
> master spreadsheet within that one workbook. I am trying to avoid having to
> create individual workbooks.
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)
1/3/2006 5:52:16 AM
true but your statment is a little obvious who ever said excell or any other
computer program was fool proof ,  the simple fact of the matter is most pc
users ony know how to do what they are shown to do on a computer and TMACK
will know his users abilitys better than you or i,

"JE McGimpsey" wrote:

> If your users have enough savvy to find these newsgroups, they'll find
> that they can unprotect any workbook using widely available methods. For
> instance, see:
>
>     http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/removepwords.html
>
> and
>
>     http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/fileandvbapwords.html
>
> If instead they aren't likely to have even a modicum of curiosity, you
> can find many suggestions in the archives:
>
>     http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search?as_ugroup=*excel*
>

> In article <4191BA59-AEF0-4735-A032-2F5B31838DA7@microsoft.com>,
>  tmack2511 <tmack2511@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > Is there a way to protect  worksheets from being viewed at all, not password
> > protected from modifications only?
> > I have a workbook set up with 9 spreadsheets that will be specific to
> > certain users, I do not want all users/viewers to be able to see each
> > worksheet, just the one labelled for them?
> > I am working with excel 97 and 8 of the 9 spreadsheets are all linked to the
> > master spreadsheet within that one workbook. I am trying to avoid having to
> > create individual workbooks.

0
r.mcc (21)
1/3/2006 6:17:02 AM
On Mon, 2 Jan 2006 22:17:02 -0800, "Rich" <r.mcc@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>true but your statment is a little obvious who ever said excell or any other
>computer program was fool proof ,  the simple fact of the matter is most pc
>users ony know how to do what they are shown to do on a computer and TMACK
>will know his users abilitys better than you or i,

Actually JE's post is spot on.

This ain't 1985 any more. Users *aren't* awed by the mystical beige
box which runs unfathomable programs. They tend to read about how to
use their applications better. They learn things from other users.
They are NOT dependent on the office guru to teach them how to do
everything, and they're often prepared to learn things on their own,
those rascals. The first one to learn how to use Google (and I think
that applies to not less than 90% of the users who can find the "On"
button) and figure out how to type in "Crack Excel Password" will be
rewarded with whatever secrets tmack wants to keep.

You don't need to know any advanced coding to do this. You can copy
and paste from any number of postings which contain the relevant code.
The users don't know how to create a VBA macro? Fine, but I'll bet
they know how to use a menu item. Rob Bovey's Excel Utilities add-in,
which is freely downloadable, has "Break Passwords" right there on the
menu bar.

We're not talking about something that's merely "not foolproof". We're
talking about a joke of a "security" restriction which yields as
easily as a peanut does to a sledgehammer.

Speaking of which... I don't think that your code is such a good idea
either.

Sheets("viewer 1").Visible = False

will indeed hide the sheet, but the user can make ALL of the sheets
visible again by going to Format -> Sheet -> Unhide. Each and every
hidden sheet will be only a click or two away.

(This of course presupposes that the user doesn't disable the macros
before opening the workbook. If you rely on the Auto_Open() macro to
HIDE the sheets (and bear in mind that your code will error out unless
there's at least ONE sheet still visible), then all they need to do is
disable the macros and everything will open unhidden. You would need
to reverse the process to have any kind of security at all; that is,
hide all of the sheets with data before you save it (leaving only a
"cover sheet" visible), then have the Auto_Open() macro or the
Workbook_Open event UNHIDE the relevant sheet. You'd then need to have
the Workbook_BeforeClose event RE-HIDE that sheet AND re-save the
workbook. And even that can be gotten around if one is sufficiently
devious.)

You can get a LITTLE more security by having the sheets' visible
property set to xlSheetVeryHidden instead of False, since that will at
least prevent them from appearing in the Format -> Sheet -> Unhide
menu item. The VBA project would also need to be protected to ensure
that the user couldn't make them visible through there. But again, as
JE rightly states, this is not exceptionally strong security. It will
prevent casual hacking, but that's about it.

A secured Access database provides more security, but again I wouldn't
trust it with anything that was seriously confidential. Let's put it
this way; if someone has access to a data file, then they can crack
it. Period. Going the route of having separate workbooks with separate
opening passwords (preferably with each user's file stored on a
network drive that only they and you have access to) is about as
secure as you can get, which is to say, not exceptionally. If it's
something that really, REALLY needs security, and I'm thinking here of
employee pay records and the like, the only real way to do it is to
bite the bullet and go the whole hog (pardon the mixed metaphore) with
something like an SQL*Server client / server setup. That is, where the
data files are hidden away from the users, and only the relevant
chunks of data get fed to the client.

Whether this is worth the time and expense in any particular case is
left as an exercise for the individual user.

>"JE McGimpsey" wrote:
>
>> If your users have enough savvy to find these newsgroups, they'll find
>> that they can unprotect any workbook using widely available methods. For
>> instance, see:
>>
>>     http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/removepwords.html
>>
>> and
>>
>>     http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/fileandvbapwords.html
>>
>> If instead they aren't likely to have even a modicum of curiosity, you
>> can find many suggestions in the archives:
>>
>>     http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search?as_ugroup=*excel*
>>

>> In article <4191BA59-AEF0-4735-A032-2F5B31838DA7@microsoft.com>,
>>  tmack2511 <tmack2511@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Is there a way to protect  worksheets from being viewed at all, not password
>> > protected from modifications only?
>> > I have a workbook set up with 9 spreadsheets that will be specific to
>> > certain users, I do not want all users/viewers to be able to see each
>> > worksheet, just the one labelled for them?
>> > I am working with excel 97 and 8 of the 9 spreadsheets are all linked to the
>> > master spreadsheet within that one workbook. I am trying to avoid having to
>> > create individual workbooks.

Hank Scorpio
scorpionet who hates spam is at iprimus.com.au (You know what to do.)
* Please keep all replies in this Newsgroup. Thanks! *
0
ApolloXVIII (173)
1/3/2006 9:15:42 AM
Well, in my experience, it's not obvious at all - while nobody expects
XL to be foolproof (since better fools are invented daily), lots of
people overestimate XL's protection (in part due to the self-serving
information that MS puts in the protection dialogs and Help).

OTOH, while you may be correct about most pc users (I'm primarily on a
Mac), I think you significantly underestimate the ability, and
inclination, of many users to use simple methods to access protected
content.

And yes, tmack2511 will know his users' abilities better than you or I,
which is why I linked to the archives, where s/he can choose among the
bad options.

FWIW, the code you offered, in addition to being easily bypassed, will
not be at all secure. All the user will have to do is choose
Format/Sheet/Unhide in order to see everyone else's sheet.

There are ways that you can beef up your code, but all of them can be
foiled with easily accessible techniques.

In article <6ADF214C-8D25-4BD7-A7F3-6D8A2AD9559B@microsoft.com>,
 "Rich" <r.mcc@ntlworld.com> wrote:

> true but your statment is a little obvious who ever said excell or any other
> computer program was fool proof ,  the simple fact of the matter is most pc
> users ony know how to do what they are shown to do on a computer and TMACK
> will know his users abilitys better than you or i,

0
jemcgimpsey (6723)
1/3/2006 2:40:12 PM
I once heard the saying 'Don't store anything on a computer that you
wouldn't write on the back of a postcard and send to the other side of
the world.'

At the end of the day, if someone makes the best use of the resources
available, then what more can they do. Computers are too powerful not
to be taken advantage of, and there's always an element of risk, but
should we turn our backs because of this?

Not in my opinion, I'm currently building an Excel based register and
markbook system for teachers. I have put the standard copyright blurb
on the workbook and will password up certain bits of it. This wouldn't
stop someone who wanted to steal the content, code, design etc....but
this isn't going to stop me builfding it in the first place.

Minimise the risk as best we can and go for it!

Cheers,

Mark.

--
mevetts

mevetts's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=29130
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=497478

In article <mevetts.212dum_1136301002.5351@excelforum-nospam.com>,
 mevetts <mevetts.212dum_1136301002.5351@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote:

> At the end of the day, if someone makes the best use of the resources
> available, then what more can they do. Computers are too powerful not
> to be taken advantage of, and there's always an element of risk, but
> should we turn our backs because of this? Not in my opinion,

I don't think anyone is suggesting turning a back on technology. But
it's dumb, IMO, to risk distributing private or confidential information
to unauthorized parties when it's well known that the protection for
that information is compromised.

No business I've ever worked with has chosen to ignore that preventable
risk. Businesses that do will deservedly fail.

It makes far more sense to take further advantage of the technology -
perhaps using VBA to create separate files to be sent to each worker,
and to then consolidate any changes.

>  I'm currently building an Excel based register and
> markbook system for teachers. I have put the standard copyright blurb
> on the workbook and will password up certain bits of it. This
> wouldn't stop someone who wanted to steal the content, code, design
> etc....but this isn't going to stop me builfding it in the first
> place.

The only thing I use worksheet or workbook protection for in my
commercial XL work is to minimize the opportunity for users to
inadvertently muck up the worksheet structure and formulae. I rarely use
a password unless the client insists on it (after I let them know that
it won't prevent a 6th grader from bypassing it - I know because my 6th
grader independently found the info and used it to remove his teacher's
worksheet protection after the teacher forgot the password).

I figure that the best protection of my work is to provide an excellent
product that clients will pay for. So far, that's worked very well. I
know my copyright has often been violated (the first time was a business
app suite for the CBM8000 back in 1979), but I tell myself that the
violators probably wouldn't have paid for it anyway. Though a couple of
them have, after I've suggested that my fee was somewhat cheaper than
their lawyer's.
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)

Password Protect Two Sub-contact Lists
Hi everyone! I have a regular contact list, and within this list I have two subcontact lists. One is personal, and the other is personal business. How can I password protect the personal and personal business lists? Thanks for any help! Sorry, I just realized that there's a newsgroup dedicated to contacts. I'll post this there. Thanks! Nick2112@sympatico.ca wrote: > Hi everyone! > > I have a regular contact list, and within this list I have two > subcontact lists. One is personal, and the other is personal business. > How can I password protect the personal and...

Why are my excel worksheet columns are Numbered not Alpha
My excel worksheet columns are numbered not alpha. What did I do? How can I change back to numbers Hi Paula, Try: Tools | Options | General Tab | deselect 'R1C1 reference style | ok --- Regards, Norman "Paula" <Paula@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BD09BE8B-EDCB-4E91-8EBC-A98049B97A35@microsoft.com... > My excel worksheet columns are numbered not alpha. What did I do? How can > I > change back to numbers You've probably set the R1C1 referencing style. Go to Tools>Options> then selecet the General Tab and uncheck the R1C1...

Passwords #5
I would like to password protect a workbook so that when the workbook is selected to open a dialog box pops up asking for the password and after the password is entered correctly the workbook will then open. Thanks for the the help. Todd Todd, do a save as and look under options, depending on what version you are using and set a password to open -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it Feedback on answers is always appreciated! Using Excel 97 & 2000 ** remove news from my email address t...

converting to access #2
Hi, The original spreadsheet was a price list which included product code, price, and other info. I can convert all of the columns except for the price column which is called "List". I tried to solve the problem by copying the "code" and "List" columns into a new spresdsheet and change some of the settings for the "List" column including changing the format to general number, wider column, ect. The code column will convert when tried alone. The List column will not. What am I doing wrong? Thanks, Ken I suspect that "List" is a rese...

Passwords
Hi, I have a password field in a database. How do I set it so that a user can only type in 7 characters for a password. and if they type more an error message will appear? Please hi, Daz01 wrote: > Hi, I have a password field in a database. How do I set it so that a > user can only type in 7 characters for a password. and if they type > more an error message will appear? You may use the ValidationRule and ValidationText of the field in the table design view. Setting ValidationRule to Len([YourField])>7) will raise an error in your case. mfG --> stefan <-- ...

Extra Characters When Pasting From MS Access
Has anyone encountered extra characters in an Excel sheet after pasting from MS Access? We're getting a single quote character (') to the left of every piece of data in every field when we paste a table from MS Access 2K to MS Excel 2K. It's only visible in the bar at the top when you click on the cell. And I tried a find and replace but it cannot find it. Wierd! Any idears? Hi try the following macro to remove these apostrophes: sub remove_it() dim rng as range set rng = selection rng.value=rng.value end sub -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Bob_The_Borg (r...

Keep user passwords
Hi! We've just finished installing a new Exchange server and connecting it to a separate DC. We used to have everything on the same server but we'd like to be able to scale our solution better in the future - therefore the new setup. Users are primarily connecting to Exchange by means of RPC over HTTP from clients that are not part of our AD. The old setup allowed users to save passwords if they configured their clients to use NTLM authentication and followed the directions in this article: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;820281. This worked both for RPC...

How to retrive password protected worksheet but forgot password?
I password protected an Excel spreadsheet and now can't remember the password. Is there any way that I can gain access to my worksheet? There are tons of FREE good Excel password 'cracking' tools. Your favorite search engine should get about a gazillion hits on a phrase like "crack excel password" or "excel password cracker". A good one that many report great success with can be found at: http://www.straxx.com/excel/password.html "Laurie" wrote: > I password protected an Excel spreadsheet and now can't remember the > p...

Spreadsheet password protection
How do you password protect a spreadsheet. I can't find anything in the help section. You can prevent un authorised access by giving a password to open the workbook itself, so that no one else can open it (Go to Tools, Options and then Security Tab). You can do it there if you have already saved the file, or you can go to "save as" then "Tools" and "General Options" where you can give password. On the other hand you can protect work sheets and ranges for different people by using "Tools" and then "Protection" Tab -- M Imran Buha...

Excel opens two worksheets instead of one
I have Office 2007 and recently upgraded to Windows 7. When I open an existing document in Excel, sometimes (about 50% of the time) it opens a second blank worksheet along with it. Word does this also. Is there a way to fix this? -- Thank you ...

quick copy worksheet into other sheets in same workbook
I am wanting to copy a worksheet that is set up to show student results, targets and achievements into approximately 150 other worksheets in the same workbook. Is there a quick way of doing this other than copying and pasting? I want formats, colours and column widths etc to stay the same. In other words I want to produce about 150 identical copies of my layout as quickly as possible with the minimum of effort. I am using Excel 2003. Thanks in advance for any help and advice offered Right-click on the worksheet tab and select "Move or Copy", then use the dialog box that appear...

Password
I am working with publisher 2007. I finished my site last Dec. and went to make changes. It is not letting me make changes because it does not like my password. I can not figure out how to go in a reset everything from my provider. Any suggestions. I was also trying to see if I could find web publishing wizard, which doesn't seem to exsist with 2007. Thanks If you are saying you forgot your password then contact the ISP Tech Support and they will reset the password to something like 1 2 3 4 or something other that is very simple. They will also instruct you to change it to somethin...

Change Password Next Login, Enforce Password Policy and Expiration
I'm curious why are the Change Password Next Login, Enforce Password Policy and Enforce Password Expiration is diabled in Greatplains 8.0 when i create a user. my client want to know how to enable it. hope for your prompt action. -- Jeremy Ayaay Technical Specialist STRC Only works for SQL 2005. If you client wants to use a beta database server... "Jher" wrote: > I'm curious why are the Change Password Next Login, Enforce Password Policy > and Enforce Password Expiration is diabled in Greatplains 8.0 when i create a > user. my client want to know how to enab...

Passwords #3
Using outlook2002. For some reason, it will not store the password. I have checked the box that says "remember password", but, each time I try to log in. It will ask me for it. Any ideas. I am thinking about recreating the profile for thismailbox. I am a consultant, and my customer doesn't know how (or won't write down what I tell them) to do this. Thanks ...

password prompt when no password is set.
thru a series of unfortunate events I had to reinstall my os and all of my programs. I was using ms money 2000. I have always kept the main *.mny file but lost my backups. When i reinstalled money and tried to open my mny file I get a password prompt. I have never password protected the file and when i tried to run a password recovery program it says "no password set". I do have older backups of this file but they are too old to be of much use. But i am able to access them. any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks BRC The password prompt often appears when you open a dataset m...

Worksheet copy problem
Hi all Name 'Sheet (1)'!MyName refers to =Sheet1!$A$1:$A$100 'Sheet (2)'!$B$2 contains a formula =SUM('Sheet (1)'!MyName) If I dulicate 'Sheet (2)' (Edit/Copy or move sheet) then 'Sheet (3)'!$B$1 contains the formula =#N/A when I would prefer it to contain the formula =SUM('Sheet (1)'!MyName) Is there a general way to achieve this (other than VBA?) Please do NOT suggest that I enter =SUM('Sheet (1)'!MyName) in some cell in Sheet1 and then refer to that cell in 'Sheet (2)'!$B$1 rather than the name I KNOW that that would succe...

Document Access
On importing a Word document to an e-mail for sending (which opens fine from the desktop) and I try to open the file from the e-mail to check before sending, it will not open, giving messgae 'Word cannot open the document: user does not have access privileges' - however, I have no special security / privilges set. Ideas please? Thanks, Graham ...

Need ability to leave certain cells of an worksheet editable.
I am trying to lock out only certain cells on a spreadsheet. They need input from several other cells to calculate a formula, and I need these other cells to be editable without using a password. I have tried following the methods listed in the help file and the online help for excel, but it's not working, only 1 of the cells is remaining editable. Ideas? Each cell has it's own locked/unlocked status that only comes into effect when the sheet has been protected. Select your cells, do format / cells / protection, UNTICK locked, Now protect sheet. Cells you formatted will be edita...

Network password #9
I don't use passwords and now i am prompted to enter a network password or my computer will not connect to email account. Any thoughts If you are still having problems after applying both the SP 1 & 2 patches, then see if this article addresses your problemL OL2002: The Save Password Setting Is Not Saved When You Connect to a POP3 Server http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290684 --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal accoun...

Password Problem #9
I continioulsy get a popup that says "Enter Network Password" the box show my server, username and password. this box pop up every few seconds. My intenet provider (TimeWarner) says this is an Outlook problem. does anyone have a solution? Thanks -- MikeM "MikeM" <MikeM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:27BD7829-84BD-44BD-9114-3FF4D453BD72@microsoft.com... > I continioulsy get a popup that says "Enter Network Password" the box > show > my server, username and password. > > this box pop up every few seconds. My inten...

How to password protect a selection using the autofilter function?
Hi, Could anyone tell me how I can password protect a selection from using the autofilter option in Excel 2000. The purpose of this is that I have a file that has some data under a couple of people's names. I want the person who selects the data under his/her name to be prompted for a password so only that person can view the data. I know i can seperate the data and send it individually, but if I can do the above, then that would save me some time. If anyone know how to do that please email me at yuppie931@yahoo.com. I really appreciate it. I am not sure if I need to do a VBA or there is...

Password Protection #5
Hi all I have a spreadsheet with several sheets . These are accessed via macr buttons on a main fron sheet (I have hidden other sheets) . Is i possible to password protect certain sheets so that they cannot b accessed by the user without the correct password . I can protect the so that they cannot be changed but need to stop them from bein accessed Thanks Kiera -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com First Hide the sheet by going Format/Sheet/Hide on the toolbar. If you then protect the workbook structure the user will be unable t unhide the sheet. Dunca -- Message posted fr...

OWA Form based authentication
Hello Newsgroup ! I have a question. Does someone of you know how to access the mailbox of another user when form based authentication is enabled? Without FBA enabled it is servername/exchange/user@doamin.com. I don't know how to access the mailbox directly from the logon page when FBA is enabled. Thank you in advanced Br Markus ...

CHANIGN PASSWORDS IN OWA
Hello. I've got a pretty simple config. Exchange 2003, single server. I have the change password option setup in OWA, but when users click the button they are prompted for their credentials again, even though they've already logged in. How can I prevent this from prompting them and just have it pass the credentials through? Thanks. Check the security settings on the IISADMPWD virtual directory. See if this helps: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/297121/en-us -- Ed Crowley MVP - Exchange "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!" "Dan" <Dan@d...

Exporteer Excel naar Access
Hoi, In een groep van maximaal vijf gebruikers exporteer ik via een macro de gegevens uit excel naar access. Deze access files bevindt zich op een nt server. Krijg je een foutmelding als er door twee of meer gebruikers tegelijk de macro wordt uitegevoerd? Dit om te voorkomen dat er gegevens verloren gaan als er op het zelfde moment naar het bestand wordt geschreven... de code is als volgt Sub Export() Dim cn As ADODB.Connection, rs As ADODB.Recordset, r As Long Set cn = New ADODB.Connection cn.Open "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0; " & _ "Data Source...