Part number surrounded by quotation text qualifier imports as a number not text

I am trying to import a comma delimited text file which contains among
other information, a numeric part number (ie 00123). I surround the
part number with quotes and import indicating use quotes a text
qualifier. No mater what I do, Excel still refuses to import this data
as text, it always converts it to a number (123). This is an issue
because this Excel file will be going into another program which will
be using that field in table relationships. Can't fix it after the
fact because all of the part numbers are different (00123, 0001.,
1234A, etc...) I have turned off all error checking under Options,
Error Checking. Has anyone experienced this before, or know of a
remedy. Checked out Microsoft for info, to no avail.

Try this:

After pre-formatting your XL columns to text, delete the .csv extension
before importing and/or opening this new file.
XL will then not recognize it, and should open the Import Wizard, where you
can then stipulate Text.
--

HTH,

RD
"John" <john_casey@hotmail.com> wrote in message
I am trying to import a comma delimited text file which contains among
other information, a numeric part number (ie 00123). I surround the
part number with quotes and import indicating use quotes a text
qualifier. No mater what I do, Excel still refuses to import this data
as text, it always converts it to a number (123). This is an issue
because this Excel file will be going into another program which will
be using that field in table relationships. Can't fix it after the
fact because all of the part numbers are different (00123, 0001.,
1234A, etc...) I have turned off all error checking under Options,
Error Checking. Has anyone experienced this before, or know of a
remedy. Checked out Microsoft for info, to no avail.

0
ragdyer1 (4060)

max text\number
a would like to get excel to calculate max. letter or max. number if it is possible form = a = a ab = b abc = c abcd = d abcd0 = 0 abcd01 = 1 abcd012 = 2 abcd0123 = 3 is there a typical excel formula to do this ? Don't know about typical, but here's one way. It must be array-entered (using CTRL-SHIFT-ENTER or CMD-RETURN): =CHAR(MAX(CODE(MID(A1,ROWS(INDIRECT("1:"&LEN(A1))),1)))) In article <ef6337c4.0308311954.2e10e903@posting.google.com>, dwane101@hotmail.com (dwane101) wrote: > a would like to get excel to ...

Retrieving (re-importing) .pst archive files in Outlook 2000
Can anyone tell me how to import .pst archive files in Outlook 2000? I have tried Import from another program or file/Personal Folder File (.pst)/File to import/Browse => C:Documents and Settings/User(My name)/Application data/Microsoft/Outlook ... and can't see any .pst files. In Windows Explorer, a search in the same location (i.e C:Documents and Settings/User(My name)/Application data/Microsoft/Outlook) reveals .FAV, .LOG, .DAT and other files, but none of my .pst archive files. I have ensured that "Show hidden files and folders" is switched on in Tools/Folder...

sort numbers leading zeros
I am having trouble sorting a column of id numbers because some of them contain leading zeroes. Excel doesn't recognize that no matter how I format the cells. Help! LS Are all your id numbers numeric (no alpha characters in them at all)? If you put: =counta(A2:Axxx) in an empty cell and =count(a2:axxx) (adjust the range to match your data) Do you get the same answer? If no, then some of the values are stored as text and some(?) are stored as numbers. You can convert them all to numbers by: selecting an empty cell copy it select your range of id's edit|Paste special|Add Form...

Keyboard Shortcut Only Runs Part of the Macro
I'm trying to run the following macro with a keyboard shortcut applied: Sub MainPlot() ' ' MainPlot Macro ' Macro recorded 7/9/2004 by Jonathan G. Metts ' Keyboard Shortcut: Ctrl+Shift+M Dim Message ChDir _ "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\Common\MSDEV98\M Projects\msic2003_mod" Workbooks.OpenText Filename:= _ "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\Common\MSDEV98\M Projects\msic2003_mod\rangedata.txt" _ , Origin:=xlWindows, StartRow:=1, DataType:=xlFixedWidth FieldInfo:= _ Array(Array(0, 1), Array(12, 1), Array(28, 1), Array(44, 1) Array(6...

Databindings and XML
Dear Group I wonder if I do something wrong and whether this is possible at all. Any hint is greatly appreciated. I have a XML file bound to a Treeview. The treenodes Text/Value properties bind and populate fine if I set them to an attribute of the XML tag. What I would like to do however is setting my nodes text and value property to text that is between the XML tags. Example: <products> <article value="1" text="Washing Powder"> <description text="Super Whitewash"> Super Whitewash is ideal and a 'must hav...

Add Serial Numbers at Time of Order Fulfillment
Is it possible to turn off the ability for a serial number to added on the fly when fulfilling orders? Sometime our scanners transmit bad data and GP allows the serial number to be added on the fly...thus causing us great pain in trying to keep inventory accurate. We're using advanced distribution, GP 7.5 We've been unsuccessful with a solution. ...

Change font of part of equation (Word 2007)
Hi group, In the equation editor: can I change the font for only a part of an equation? It seems that when I change the font for one part, the entire equation changes as well. Cheers -Ralf Assuming you use the new Word 2007 equations tool, you can select part of the equation (balancing could be an issue) and select 'Normal Text' from the Equations 'Design' tab and change the font size on the 'Home' tab. Yves "ralf.schaa" <ralf.schaa@gmail.com> wrote in message news:6cfffd34-73e4-46ff-94f6-5b39258d4ca1@v20g2000prb.googlegroups.com....

Changed mail format from HTML to text only

make cell entries a negative number
I have a situation where I would like the number entered into a cell to always be a negative number. Seems like it should be easy but I can't seem to get it. Any suggestions? gls858 if you use the negative of the absolute value =-ABS(B32) --- HTH, David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel [site changed Nov. 2001] My Excel Pages: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/excel.htm Search Page: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/search.htm "gls858" <gls858@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:usqxoltlFHA.3312@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > I have a situation where I wo...

Using part of a cell in a chart title

Macro for detect palindromes and repeats in letters/numbers string
Dear all, I am looking to detect palindromes (sentence or number or other sequence of units that can be read the same way in either direction) and repeats (sequences of letters or numbers which are repeating atleast twice within a string) in some strings containing between 20-5000 letters. Has somebody any idea how could I perform that using an Excel macro? I would like that the string to be evaluated could be on cell "A1" and that the detected palindromes and repeats could be listed bellow A2 and C2, respectively; and that the number of times that they appear in the sentence could b...

Any parts of the word
Hello everyone, I am trying to build a formula to check cell C:14 for any occurrence of the word "pepsi" if found put the contents of cell D:14 in cell H:14. So the formula will go in cell H:14 and I will copy down. Any help will be appreciated In cell H14 enter =IF(C14="pepsi",D14,"") Cell D14 has =IF(C14="pepsi","Cell C14 has Pepsi in it.","") in it. HTH "RayD" <rcd_net@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:pbpctvg94hkv5dvqi3kn26ncbm142nhrk0@4ax.com... > Hello everyone, > > I am trying to build a ...

Anyone notice CC numbers in Account List?
They've x'ed out the first 12 digits. Didn't notice this until I went back to 2003. What's the point? If you've logged into Money, it's not like anyone couldn't se the full number by looking at account details. but now YOU have to do the same. Ug. Just another arbitrary change :P See thread titled "One more M05 peeve and stuff" for my rant on the same subject. Nice to know someone else noticed and came to the same conclusion. "Ion Control" <IonControl@echobase.rebelalliance.net> wrote in message news:vsl4d.237$zc1.64@newssvr12.n...

Email reply missing part of original message
Once in awhile, when I hit Reply on an email that has already been replied to (back and forth) a few times, the most recent text from the other person is not copied to the reply message. If I scroll down, all of the previous replies will be there, but not the most recent one. This only happens occasionally. I cannot identify any common factors. Is this a known problem and is there a cure? Thanks -- Running MS Office 2K Pro PC: HP Omnibook 6000 OS: Win 2K SP-4 (5.00.2195) Email: Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com (11/03/04) I am having the same problem! I now use an "sbcglobal.net" ...

Text Format with Pictures
I just started having problems with my website that has been working for years. Now the text is either over or under the pictures and when I right click on the text box or the graphic the option to wrap text is grayed out. What's up? Lynn Lopez wrote: > I just started having problems with my website that has > been working for years. Now the text is either over or > under the pictures and when I right click on the text box > or the graphic the option to wrap text is grayed out. > What's up? Wrap options are not available in web design layout mode of Publish...

Prevent duplicate from 3 text
Dear All I have a form contais 3 text name, father_name,Sur_name how can i prevent the duplicate if a user entered John smith george and in another record he enterd the same name John smith george i want to display a msgbox to tell him that the name is duplicated best wishes -- Message posted via http://www.accessmonster.com On Thu, 08 Apr 2010 05:33:36 GMT, "ashraf_al_ani via AccessMonster.com" <u54845@uwe> wrote: >Dear All >I have a form contais 3 text >name, father_name,Sur_name > >how can i prevent the dup...

error when importing identity from Entourage X to 2008

CRM list web part doesn't list Quotes
I was trying to display open quotes in the CRM web part. The list of entities does not include quotes? Anyone seen this? Thanks Brian wow - we have just used it for custom entities so i am very suprised it does not handle quotes? ============================== John O'Donnell Microsoft CRM MVP http://www.crowechizek.com/microsoft "BD" <bdemoe@atriosystems.com> wrote in message news:u3PYOfz4GHA.1248@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl... >I was trying to display open quotes in the CRM web part. The list of >entities does not include quotes? Anyone seen this? > > Tha...

Week Number and Year Format
Can I format a cell to give week number and year format i.e. 1-March-04 is 1004 (that week being week 10) Thanks This page might be a help: http://www.bygsoftware.com/examples/iso_dates.htm This page is based on ISO 8601. It includes the Excel formula and an online week-number calculator using Microsoft's spreadsheet component. -- Regards Andy Wiggins www.BygSoftware.com Home of "Save and BackUp", "The Excel Auditor" and "Byg Tools for VBA" "virtualfunker" <virtualfunker@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:c202fk$ls9$1@hercules.btinte...

I want to display the number 0 first in a cell, it won't let me n.
I want to be able to see a number with a zero in front of it as in 019, no decimals or anything but everytime I enter it and move to the next cell the 0 automatically disappears. Can anyone help? Lauren - You'll have to format the cell as "Text" to make it work. Hope this helps, Carole O "lauren" wrote: > I want to be able to see a number with a zero in front of it as in 019, no > decimals or anything but everytime I enter it and move to the next cell the 0 > automatically disappears. Can anyone help? Or, you can precede your value with a single qu...

Merging Records Error "The Text Entered Exceeds the Maximum Length
Sometimes when we try to merge 2 accounts in CRM 4.0 we get the error "The text entered exceeds the maximum length" and the merge does not take place. I have looked at all my field lengths on the account side and cannot figure out why I am getting this error. It never did this with 3.0. Does anyone know how to fix this or where I can even go to see what field is bringing this error? Tiffani Hi Tiffani, I assume that records created in 4.0 merge with no problem. Chances are that there is a field length from CRM 3.0 that was greater than a field length in 4.0 'out of t...

formula to move a scored number to a score sheet
i run a race team. we have 20 teams competeing. we select 7 riders each to compete in various age and skill levels. we sort the riders by age and skill level. as we score the races, i need a formula that will send the results back to the team score card. for example i have 20 score card, one for each team. each card has 3colums with 7 cells. after we sort the riders they are no longer grouped by teams. the formula would have to know to send the score of a rider from team (a) to the correct score card and if the first cell has a score in it, to place it in the next cell in the column a...

part 2 help creating a formula
here is the strapping spread sheet. I couldn't attatch both of them t one post. Do I need to convert the feet to inches in a hidden cell t make it look up the needed value and put the fraction in a cell alone Attachment filename: p & g 101 strapping.zip Download attachment: http://www.excelforum.com/attachment.php?postid=50101 -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

Labeling parts of a worksheet
Hey there, Does anyone have an example of the following: 1. How you denote column titles and row titles (e.g., headings and stubs) 2. How you denote required fields 3. How to denote the cursor movement through the cells as one presses the TAB key 4. How to denote when the user should move to the next worksheet maaaaany thanks! --Kathy kbine@icfconsulting.com I'm not sure exactly what you mean/want.... #1. I put a label in row 1 and column A for my titles. Then I make sure A1 is in the top left corner. I select B1 and window|Freeze Panes. That way that row and that column are ...

Big background page numbers/ Can't change format of a range
Hello, I received a spreadsheet used for printing out tables of data. This spreadsheet contains two features which I would like to understand: 1) Each Excel range that is printed on a separate page contains a big page number in the background of the speadsheet: "page1", "page2" etc. This page number, however, is not printed. How is this achieved? 2) There is a gray are outside the actual data range - and I can't change the formatting of that area. The spreadsheet is not protected. Thank you Michael You're in "Page Break Preview". Click <Vie...