Out of Memory #3

As a spreadsheet grows, I'm beginning to have occasional "Out of Memory"
problems while doing "Paste" operations.  Grumble, grumble....

Digging into the problem a bit, I find the INFO statement tells me that
I have roughly 50MB available to Excel and that most of it is used up.

My question is simply whether there's anything that I can do to increase
that 50MB gross amount before I tinker with how Excel is actually using
it in the spreadsheet?

1) Would it make any difference if I changed from Excel97 to the current
version?  Or does the same 50MB limit exist there still?

2) Or is there anything within my XP operating system I can do to make
it provide more space for Excel's use?

3) The hardware has 724MB of RAM and a huge amount of disk space open so
I presume there is nothing with the hardware that can ease the problem?

Thanks...

Bill
0
wylie836 (251)

Bill Martin -- (Remove NOSPAM from address) wrote:
> As a spreadsheet grows, I'm beginning to have occasional "Out of Memory"
> problems while doing "Paste" operations.  Grumble, grumble....
>
> Digging into the problem a bit, I find the INFO statement tells me that
> I have roughly 50MB available to Excel and that most of it is used up.
>
> My question is simply whether there's anything that I can do to increase
> that 50MB gross amount before I tinker with how Excel is actually using
> it in the spreadsheet?
>
> 1) Would it make any difference if I changed from Excel97 to the current
> version?  Or does the same 50MB limit exist there still?
>
> 2) Or is there anything within my XP operating system I can do to make
> it provide more space for Excel's use?
>
> 3) The hardware has 724MB of RAM and a huge amount of disk space open so
> I presume there is nothing with the hardware that can ease the problem?
>
> Thanks...
>
> Bill

--------------

Incidentally, tinkering with the INFO("totmem") statement a bit shows
that I have a total of 49.3MB available to Excel and only 1MB left open.

So then I opened another big spreadsheet.  The total memory goes UP to
51MB.  I open a third simultaneous spreadsheet and total memory
available to Excel goes up to 63MB.  There's still only 1MB free, but
apparently "Total Memory" is a fluid concept somehow.

Bill
0
wylie836 (251)
5/31/2005 6:16:05 PM
the only number that works is INFO("Memused")
There is a bug in INFO ("Memavail") it always returns the same number, and
INFO("Totmem") always equals INfo("Memused")+info("totmem") so is also
useless.

for more details on Excel memoru usage etc see

http://www.DecisonModels.com/memlimitsc.htm and associated pages

Charles
______________________
Decision Models
FastExcel 2.1 now available
www.DecisionModels.com

"Bill Martin -- (Remove NOSPAM from address)" <wylie@earthNOSPAMlink.net>
wrote in message news:uzeHRzgZFHA.3096@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Bill Martin -- (Remove NOSPAM from address) wrote:
>> As a spreadsheet grows, I'm beginning to have occasional "Out of Memory"
>> problems while doing "Paste" operations.  Grumble, grumble....
>>
>> Digging into the problem a bit, I find the INFO statement tells me that I
>> have roughly 50MB available to Excel and that most of it is used up.
>>
>> My question is simply whether there's anything that I can do to increase
>> that 50MB gross amount before I tinker with how Excel is actually using
>> it in the spreadsheet?
>>
>> 1) Would it make any difference if I changed from Excel97 to the current
>> version?  Or does the same 50MB limit exist there still?
>>
>> 2) Or is there anything within my XP operating system I can do to make it
>> provide more space for Excel's use?
>>
>> 3) The hardware has 724MB of RAM and a huge amount of disk space open so
>> I presume there is nothing with the hardware that can ease the problem?
>>
>> Thanks...
>>
>> Bill
>
> --------------
>
> Incidentally, tinkering with the INFO("totmem") statement a bit shows that
> I have a total of 49.3MB available to Excel and only 1MB left open.
>
> So then I opened another big spreadsheet.  The total memory goes UP to
> 51MB.  I open a third simultaneous spreadsheet and total memory available
> to Excel goes up to 63MB.  There's still only 1MB free, but apparently
> "Total Memory" is a fluid concept somehow.
>
> Bill

0
Charles740 (233)
5/31/2005 9:57:52 PM
Charles Williams wrote:
> the only number that works is INFO("Memused")
> There is a bug in INFO ("Memavail") it always returns the same number, and
> INFO("Totmem") always equals INfo("Memused")+info("totmem") so is also
> useless.
>
> for more details on Excel memoru usage etc see
>
> http://www.DecisonModels.com/memlimitsc.htm and associated pages
>

> Charles

------------------------

Thanks Charles -- that explains some things.

It seems a bit slack on Microsoft's part to have such a basic known bug
exist all the way from the '97 version up to 2005.  But then I guess
they don't much care what I think.

Bill
0
wylie836 (251)
6/1/2005 12:03:49 AM
Charles Williams wrote:
> the only number that works is INFO("Memused")
> There is a bug in INFO ("Memavail") it always returns the same number, and
> INFO("Totmem") always equals INfo("Memused")+info("totmem") so is also
> useless.
>
> for more details on Excel memoru usage etc see
>
> http://www.DecisonModels.com/memlimitsc.htm and associated pages
>

> Charles

------------------------

By the way, to anybody following this, the URL given by Charles above is
  apparently mistyped by one letter.  I believe it should be:

	http://www.decisionmodels.com/memlimits.htm

Lots of good info there.

Bill
0
wylie836 (251)

Memory usage in XP (memory leak detection)
Hi How can I found out the memory usage on XP ? My XP box uses over a week all memory and then has no resources available. It has 4GB memory (3.5 GB free) I used typeperf with the following: \Memory\Available Bytes \Memory\Committed Bytes \Memory\Pool Paged Bytes \Memory\Pool Nonpaged Bytes \Memory\Cache Bytes \Memory\Cache Bytes Peak \Process(_total)\Virtual Bytes Peak \Process(_total)\Virtual Bytes \Process(_total)\Working Set Peak \Process(_total)\Working Set \Process(_total)\Page File Bytes Peak \Process(_total)\Page File Bytes \Process(_total)\Private Bytes \Proc...

Share Address Book #3
I have an Address Book that I want to share with Outlook Express. Is there a way to do this? Seems that the 'Import' option doesn't work in Outlook. TIA... Mike An Address Book? Post versions if you expect answers. We can't read minds. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Mike Schatz" <mschatz@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message news:Na4Cb.180440$Ec1.6821514@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net... > I have an Address Book that I want to share with Outlook Express. Is there > a way to do this? Seems that the 'Import' option doesn't work in Ou...

Contact Problem #3
Recently we installed a new "C" drive and moved data from the old one. However, in Outlook, I cannot use the "To" and/or "CC" buttons. A message comes up "The address list could not be displayed. The Contacts list associated....it may have been moved or deleted, or you do not have permissions. To remove..." I am running Office XP/Students & Teachers, all updates are in. We removed the old Address book (.wab) (492KB) from the "E" drive (leaving a copy there) and it now resides at C/(user)/AppData/MS as the third folder, named Larry...

not enough memory on excel 2008
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel <i>run excel 2008 on mac snow leopard 2 g memory i upgrade to 3 g and same</i>&#32; message not enough memory can some one help me only word working Run Remove Office then re-install Office On 30/03/10 7:08 AM, in article 59bb629f.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0, "Snow_leopard@officeformac.com" <Snow_leopard@officeformac.com> wrote: > Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel > run excel 2008 on mac snow leopard 2 g memory i upgrade t...

Beware MatrixAttributeDisplayOrder Table Corruption after upgrading from 1.3 to 2.0
RMS didn't correctly create the information in the MatrixAttributeDisplayOrder table when upgrading from version 1.3 to 2.0 (unless you applied hot fix 2.0.0110 or later before you upgraded the 1.3 database). The above doesn't affect the actual matrix component items them selves but it does affect the matrix attributes. It will duplicate quite a few dimension attributes and it will delete some as well. We upgraded RMS shortly after 2.0 was released (8 months ago?) and originally thought that this was caused by user errors. But when I finally realized the scope of the problem ...

Blocked attachments #3
I have a number of sites that use Outlool 2000 to pick up their internet mail. They do not have an exchange server, they are just stand alone. They are unable to email access database files between them themselves becouse of Outlook's "attachment blocking". The help says that you can change the list of extensions if you have "exchange". How do you change the list if you do not have "exchange"? BR Don C "Don C" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:087001c3ad37$b26cd7f0$a001280a@phx.gbl... > > I have a numbe...

Scribe Migration from Goldmine 6.7 to CRM 3.0????
About 10 months ago we did a "test" migration from Goldmine 6.5 Corporate Edition to CRM 3.0. Well, to make a long story short, we didnt make the move at that time, and decided(not me) to work on making Goldmine work better for us. Well, in that process we upgraded to Goldmine 6.7. Now we are actively making the move to CRM, but i ran into a stumbling block. It has come to my attention that Scribe may not work with version 6.7 of goldmine?? has anyone out there had any experience with working with Scribe and Goldmine 6.7 Corporate Edition?? Thanks in advance Rodney We haven...

This transaction cannot be entered #3
Why do I get the message... "this transaction cannot be entered" I have archived the file...it is not too big! please advise, FL Kulchar See http://umpmfaq.info/faqdb.php?q=89. "FLKULCHAR" <FLKULCHAR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3ECF15CC-D8ED-4E46-A496-0AF73BF26A58@microsoft.com... > Why do I get the message... > > "this transaction cannot be entered" > > I have archived the file...it is not too big! No more info....????? not very helpful...please advise!! "Dick Watson" wrote: > See http://umpmfaq...

Finding the sum of a row
Hi there, I am trying to figure out how to find the sum of a row minus the lowest 3 scores for a tournament I am running. Basically we have points for each race and at the end of the season we drop the 3 worst scores. Can this be *easily* done in Excel? Cheers, Nathan =SUM(A1:Z1)-SUM(SMALL(A1:Z1,{1,2,3})) -- Regards Ken....................... Microsoft MVP - Excel Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03 ------------------------------�------------------------------�---------------- It's easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission :-) ---------------------...

CStdioFile #3
Dear All I am trying to open a file in Write mode without truncating it, but everytime it keeps getting truncating and only contains the last written line! What am I doing wrong here? Please help Thanks Srishti CStdioFile fileExOut; if( fileExOut.Open(Path, CFile::modeCreate | CFile::modeNoTruncate | CFile::modeWrite | CFile::typeText)== FALSE ) { : : } else { fileExOut.WriteString( String + sNEWLINE ); } On Fri, 4 Aug 2006 12:41:02 -0700, Sonu <sonu@online.nospam> wrote: >Dear All >I am trying to open a file in Write mode without truncating it, but >everytime it keeps g...

Is it a memory leak
AoA I have used standard template library in one of my applications. I belive that memory leaks are due to stl components, mainly string. i wrote a sample program in VC 6.0 that clearly shows memory leaks in stl wstring str = L""; for( int a = 0 ; a < 100000 ; a++ ) { str += L"int"; } str.str.erase( str.begin() , str.end() ); str = L"int"; i wrote this code against a button in dialog based application. Before clicking the button, the memory usage is 3MB and after this code it is 17MB although i believe it should have been bac...

Integrate Fax in CMR 3.0
Is there is any way we can inetegrate Fax module in Microsoft CRM 3.0 Professional? We need the functionlity to send and recieve fax throught CRM. Please suggest... Yes you can do via third party ISV solution . I will get you the name in a day or two Yes you can do via third party ISV solution . I will get you the name in a day or two Yes you can do via third party ISV solution . I will get you the name in a day or two Krishna, can you plese provide me with details you said will post in few days. Thanks Jazz "Krishna Sydney" wrote: > Yes you can do via third par...

Grouping In Pivot Tables #3
Hi I have a pivot table linked direct to an access query. In the pivot table I have grouped the date field by year & month and set the start date as 1 Apr 2005 and end date as 31 Mar 2006. Some of the months have no data so I set the field settings to 'include items with no data' however, this then shows blank fields for Jan, Feb & Mar 2005, if I try filtering or hiding them out it also hides Jan, Feb & Mar 2006. How can I get it to only show from Apr 05 to Mar 06 and include fields where there was no data between those dates? Many Thanks GLS -- GLS Uncheck &quo...

MS RMS 1.3 in Brazil
Hi there, we are planning to open some shops in brazil. Since we use the MS RMS (Store & HQ) around europe quite successfully we'd like to stick to that product. Does any of you have experience if RMS meets the brazilian requirements? Maybe you are already working with it? Any help is highly appreciated. Thanx in advance, Chris This is region is managed by Scan Source Latin America. Please contact Louis Piedra on louis.piedra@scansourcela.com and he can put you in touch with a reseller in Brazil. Afshin Alikhani - [ afshin@retailrealm.co.uk ] CEO - Retail Realm = = = = = = =...

Journal Entries #3
Whenever I create a new journal entry under an individual contact that entry is linked to every contact with the same company name. How do I correct it so it only shows under the individual contact? ...

Exchange memory utilization
Is there any documentation detailing the exchange 2003 memory utilization , especially in coordination with the max store size. thanks CR What do you want to know? Exchange will use all the memory it can in the box, up to 4GB, for caching, and this isn't a function of store size. It will release memory so that other processes can get what they need. -- Ed Crowley MVP - Exchange "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!" "MSNews" <Craig@nowhere.org> wrote in message news:etwPVF%23RHHA.4832@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl... > Is there any documentati...

Transaction Performance Counter #3
Hi I am looking for a way (by using SQL profiler or the MGP SDK oranything else) to measure avarage times for transaction execution in Great Plains. A simple example might be the posting GL transactions at month end. I am looking for a way to record the average time and compare any new postings to the "historical" average. This data will then be used to produce a report... Any help will be valuable, as I don't really have a clue where to start looking Reagrds, Arno van Rooyen ...

Out of Memory
I am using Excel 2000. Operating system is MS 2000. Ram = 512. I am running a large Excel file 65,536 rows by 24 columns. The columns may expand somewhat; say 5 extra rows as the Macro runs. The Excel file links to another Excel file to do some vlookups. Some formatting is going on as well as Paste Special Value. I get an out of error message and Excel stops. If I only have 50,000 rows it works fine. I have increased the virtual memory to the maximum, same thing. Any suggestions???? Hi, There are only 65536 rows in a worksheet. You cannot use all the rows. Split your sheet into sevra...

Histogram #3
How do I slide my bin numbers, which are on the x-axis, to the right so they aren't centered under each bar, but rather in between each bar? Tom - The category labels need to be under the columns in the chart. But you could construct a dummy axis with datalabels that serve as your desired axis labels. Follow the procedure in my Arbitrary Axis example, but put the axis along the X axis, of course: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ArbitraryAxis.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services http://PeltierTech.com/Excel/Charts/ _______ Tom wrote: ...

memory growing spreadsheet
Hi Again I have another query- For some reason when working on a spreadsheet it can start with say, 925kb in size,I do a couple of changes, then "Wolla" 10+mb It only happens every now and again, but I have tried copy then paste special, taken all macro's out, save as a different name,copy sheet into different book, but still can't bring it back down in size, "Hu" I even took my changes back out What is going on? John .. Hi John, What are you doing? Whatever it is, I think I'd want to do something else. But I haven't any hint what to avoid doing &...

New computer #3
Hi All! I just recently upgraded to a new computer and am trying to get Money to run properly. I am not sure if it is supported, but I installed M07 Business on my new Vista Machine. It installed with no problems. I transfered My Money file over to the new system. Opening money, it shows all of my accounts and balances properly. The problem I am having is that when I try to do online updates, it hangs forever and never downloads the updated info from my bank. If I cancel, I get an error message that says... "Money was unable to contact the Internet, banking, or brokerage server...

User logon name: President #3
I've got another problem with my boss's account. His user name is President, but his Alias is f.e. AAA (email AAA.BBB@domena). Almost everything is working (OMA, OWA, exchange mail access), but when I'm trying to connect from Outlook 2003 using POP3 is saying that pop3 doesn't accept user name or password - President as well as AAA (alias). In other accounts this is working good. Is maybe President prohibited user name? Regards Filip ...

CRM 3.0 on Apple Mac
Hello! Perhaps some silly questions, but I don't have any Apple experiences at all - sorry! I'd like to restart the discussion about MS CRM 3.0 and Mac OS X clients. Is there any chance despite Terminal Services, Remote Desktop to use CRM 3.0? If providing CRM 3.0 client per TS users will have two mailing clients :-( Am I right, that also webclient is only available through TS or RDP? TIA Stefan When you log into CRM it authenticates to Active Directory and taps into the builtin Security of IE 7. Needless to say it's trouble on a MAC. With this being said the Mobile Expre...

Is this a memory leak?
Hi, I am trying to figure out why a program keep consuming more memory the longer that it runs. I tried detecting a memory leak using the CMemoryState object. I find that the program is using more memory after executing this line: PullComma(sData); The source for PullComma is: //======================================================================= void PullComma(CString& string) // Remove comma from start of string //======================================================================= { Strip(string); if (string.IsEmpty()) return; if (string.GetAt(0) == ',') string =...

Customization #3
Hi All, I need to customize the opportunity close form by adding a field. I also need to map the job title field of contacts to the primary contact in accounts, how can i go about it? Your urgent response would be really appriciated 1. Out of the box, the opportunity close form is not customizable. I would suggest checking out customization via SDK to resolve this - build your own opportunity close event process and handling 2. Please clarify the Job Title map. Since the Account and Primary Contact are related, both side of the field are able to be access. Do you mean displaying th...