Options reset to values of most recently opened workbook

I've noticed a behavior in Excel 2000 SP-2 on Windows 2000 Professional SP-3 and I'm not sure if it is an error, by design, or correctable by some option or setting I'm missing

When I open multiple workbooks I've found that the options settings under Tools/Options for the most recently opened workbook apply to ALL open workbooks.  It might be best to explain by a couple of examples

1.  I normally have the "Windows in Taskbar" option checked so I can view each of my open workbooks as a separate item in the taskbar.  I have all of my workbooks set up this way.  If I receive a workbook from another user who does not have this setting checked and I open the workbook then my taskbar items for my open workbooks disappear.  I have to go back into the Tool/Options dialog and recheck "Windows in Taskbar" for the option to re-enable.  Closing and reopening Excel does not make the settings revert back to their original values

2.  Another example - and this is the one that really concerns me.   Most of my users have their workbooks set for automatic calculation.  But in some cases larger workbooks that take a while to calculate are set for manual calculation.  My users also sometimes receive workbooks from outside sources that are set for manual calc.  If, for example, five workbooks are open that are all set for automatic calc and then a single workbook is opened that is set for manual calc then ALL open workbooks reset to manual calc.  This is a big problem if my users are changing values in workbooks that they expect to automatically calc but it is not calculating - worst case they're assuming the calcs are taking place and they're looking at numbers that aren't updating.  My user are construction estimators so this could throw a bid of by a substantial amount

Hopefully I'm explaining this clearly.  In short, the settings applied under Tools/Options always seems to prefer the values of the most recently opened workbook.  I'd like to turn off this behavior if possible.  If not, then I'd like to understand it better so I can educate my users.  Any assistance is greatly appreciated

Best regards

Vassili,

Both options you describe are global in Excel, not workbook-specific; that
is to say, they are not settings that a workbook  can save and "carry" with
it and force on others.
What is happening is the workbooks that are changing your settings are using
code to do so in the background; if you don't get a warning for macros, then
your security setting (Tools > Macro > Security) is Low, which is a very
dangerous situation: any workbook can run any code it likes without you
knowing! Changing the calculation or windows in taskbar setting is the least
that can happen. Change that setting to Medium, so at least you get warned
when a workbook contains macros, and get a chance to prevent it from running
until you know you can trust it.

HTH,
Nikos

"billpoly" <wpolymenakos@eckerusa.com> wrote in message
> I've noticed a behavior in Excel 2000 SP-2 on Windows 2000 Professional
SP-3 and I'm not sure if it is an error, by design, or correctable by some
option or setting I'm missing.

> When I open multiple workbooks I've found that the options settings under
Tools/Options for the most recently opened workbook apply to ALL open
workbooks.  It might be best to explain by a couple of examples:

> 1.  I normally have the "Windows in Taskbar" option checked so I can view
each of my open workbooks as a separate item in the taskbar.  I have all of
my workbooks set up this way.  If I receive a workbook from another user who
does not have this setting checked and I open the workbook then my taskbar
items for my open workbooks disappear.  I have to go back into the
Tool/Options dialog and recheck "Windows in Taskbar" for the option to
re-enable.  Closing and reopening Excel does not make the settings revert
back to their original values.

> 2.  Another example - and this is the one that really concerns me.   Most
of my users have their workbooks set for automatic calculation.  But in some
cases larger workbooks that take a while to calculate are set for manual
calculation.  My users also sometimes receive workbooks from outside sources
that are set for manual calc.  If, for example, five workbooks are open that
are all set for automatic calc and then a single workbook is opened that is
set for manual calc then ALL open workbooks reset to manual calc.  This is a
big problem if my users are changing values in workbooks that they expect to
automatically calc but it is not calculating - worst case they're assuming
the calcs are taking place and they're looking at numbers that aren't
updating.  My user are construction estimators so this could throw a bid of
by a substantial amount.

> Hopefully I'm explaining this clearly.  In short, the settings applied
under Tools/Options always seems to prefer the values of the most recently
opened workbook.  I'd like to turn off this behavior if possible.  If not,
then I'd like to understand it better so I can educate my users.  Any
assistance is greatly appreciated.

> Best regards

RMS matrix attribute option
Adding an existing item in the RMS 2.0.0114 matrix with 219 attributes and 826 items and saving it takes about 2 hours to complete (using Windows XP SP2 Pentium D 3.0 Ghz with 2 G RAM). Since the backend is SQL Server, we don’t see any reason for the application not to support matrix records of this size, considering that the Item has 219 attributes and 826 items only. I think it would be better if RMS has the option not to load the existing attributes for the dropdown list. Just enable the addition of new dimensions. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Micro...

Why No "Format Cells" Choice Option Always ?
Hello, Using Excel 2007. When I select a Column of numbers, I usually see a choice for "Format Cells" At other times, for different Columns (also with numbers in the cells, I do not get the Format Cells choice. All that shows up as being selectable are: Cut, Copy, Clear Contents Why might this be ? Thanks ...

Why is redirect rule absent from my rules and alerts options?
Outlook 2003 help at <http://office.microsoft.com/en-au/outlook/HA011502011033.aspx?pid=CH063564671033> offers a choice of either forwarding or redirecting mail. I want to redirect mail to a webmail address to access it more easily while travelling. Redirect suits me better than forwarding, as forwarded mail all appears to come from me (i.e. original sender is not visible until mail is opened -- bit inconvenient). The forwarding option/s are visible among the checkboxes under 'Rules and alerts' but there is no sign of the 'Redirect it to people or distribution list&#...

Opening report creates a runtime 2004 error
i.e "There is not enough memory to perform this operation". This is after simply opening the mdb and attempting to open the report. ...

Outlook 2000 wont open in XP
I've recently upgraded from Win98 to XP. And now my Outlook with not open. I cannot find my Microsoft Office 2000 Pro disc to reinstall it. The information I have stored there is important to me and if at all possible I'd rather not lose it. I was also prompted with a message that read, "component is missing, OMINT.DLL(only once) What can I do? -- EarnestTBass EarnestTBass wrote: > I've recently upgraded from Win98 to XP. And now my > Outlook with not open. I cannot find my Microsoft Office 2000 Pro > disc to reinstall it. The informati...

Tools,Options, Email Options, AdvancedE-mail Options,
Hi, Windows XP, Outlook 2003, Desktop Alert stop popup, When it check in - Tools,Options, Email Options, AdvancedE-mail Options, It supposed to be "Preview" option, its not , In "When new item arrive in my Inbox" all the option mark, But when new mail arrived Desktop Alert not popup, What could be the problem Thank you & Bets Regards, Yakov Do you have a rule set to move messages? If you do then you need to add showing the Desktop Alert to that rule. "Yakov" <Yakov@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:304C2EEA-5839-47B1-A737-475921A51D...

Power options issue 06-24-10
When I click on Control Panel and then Power Options and set turn off monitor to 20 minutes and turn off hard drive to 20 minutes nothing happens. However if I change those settings to turn off monitor to 1 minute and turn off hard drive to 3 minutes it works every time. I do not know what the problem is or how to correct it, so any help would be greatly appreciated. You should also know that no changes to my system have been made since this problem started happening. The turn off cannot be executed until the computer is not running anything for the amount of time you selec...

Options okn Tools Menu
I have a user who is using Excel 97. When he goes to the menu bar and selects Tools then Options, the Options chioce is there but when you clck on it it does nothing. Has anyone had this issue before and if so how can I get his Options functionality back? Excel and Office has been uninstalled and reinstalled several times. Maybe this is it: XL97: Page Fault or Violation When You Click Options on the Tools Menu http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;108032 sounds like it describes your Tools|Options problem (it says it was corrected in xl97 SR2). Ron Davidson wrote:...

Opening PDF Attacments
I have looked for the answer but I am running Vista and cannot find data files in the control panel. Can anyone help me change Outlook to open pdf files in Adobe instead of Word? You set File associations within Win, not Outlook See File Associations in Vista help http://www.winvistaclub.com/t19.html "Kath" <Kath@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7C9143C2-5D3A-4B52-B16B-C600052F6290@microsoft.com... > I have looked for the answer but I am running Vista and cannot find data > files in the control panel. Can anyone help me change Outlook to...

Closing Balance figure to be carried as Opening Balance in a new record 01-27-10
I have fields like Opening Balance and Closing Balance besides other fields. I want the closing balance of one record to be carried as opening balance for the next new record. Please help me urgently. It is a number field at both the places. -- Message posted via http://www.accessmonster.com Are you talking about entering one record then entering the next record, carrying the Closing Balance forward into the Opening Balance? Or are you talking about entering one record, closing the form, then coming back at a later date then and entering entering the next record, carrying th...

Change printing options based on tender types
I have curerntly setup our POS registers to automotically print 40-column receipts and to prompt the user for whether or not to print a large 80-column invoice. However, I would like to have large invoices automatically print for all charge account tenders. Is there a way to specify the print behavior based on the tender type for the transaction? Thanks, Paul Arenson Anderson Plywood Sales, Culver City, CA not without an add-in. Seems like someone posted something about that within the last few weeks - try searching the newsgroup. -- Glenn Adams Tiber Creek Consulting http://ww...

Analysis on whether a buyout by AOL Time Warner would affect the value of Miley5.net for existing shareholders
If AOL Time Warner continues with a 15% stake at $2.80 an ordinary share, this will equate a $210,000 investment. Projected out to the rest of the Company, this valuates the Company at $1.4 million. The purchase would instantly mean a $0.30 return for every ordinary share held by stockholders as soon as the Company floats. On Nov 25, 2:45=A0pm, ny.negotiati...@gmail.com wrote: > If AOL Time Warner continues with a 15% stake at $2.80 an ordinary > share, this will equate a $210,000 investment. Projected out to the > rest of the Company, this valuates the Company at $1.4 million. The &...

Adding on Option to an Option Group
I have created a form to give a report of 3 tables and give the user the ability to sort on a column by checking the check box on the header. I had to add another field to one of the tables and now need to add this to the option group.. how? Thanks Sue Found it - for others, you need to add the field to the record source for the form, then with the option group selected, open the field list and drag the new field onto the option group (at least I hope that is it) Sue (Sometimes it actually pays off to have a stack of books over a foot high on Access) "Design by Sue" wrote...

Remove Marketing and Service Option from Left Nav Bar
When the only entity selected in a security role is Account access, we would like the options for Marketing and Service not to be seen in the left hand Nav bar. -- Thanks, Justin ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutio...

AP Trail Balance should have option to select by due date
I believe the AP Aged Trial Balance could be enhanced to allow to select transactions by a due date range. That way the report will provide a list of invoices that a due within a specific due date range. I have a clinet that has requested this functionality. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click ...

Compare Two Workbooks
I'm trying to write a piece of VBA that will check each cell in a workbook against each corresponding cell in another workbook, and highlight where there are differences. I'm really falling over at the first hurdle, as I cant get my head around how to reference the cells. I've got variables that tell me the workbook, the worksheet, the row and the column, but I don't appear able to so something as simple as check if wb1.ws1.cell1 = wb2.ws2.cell2. The code I have so far is below: Sub test() Dim wb1 As Workbook Dim wb1name As String Dim wb2 As Workboo...

How to set default zoom size for specific Word docs when opened?
I have a particular set of Word documents that, whenever any user opens them (on any PC), I wish to have opened at a specified zoom size - e.g. 120%. I don't wish to set a default zoom size for ALL Word docs, just certain specified docs. Is it possible to set a default zoom size for particular Word docs in this way? If so, how do you do it? Zoom is a document attribute so can be "saved" to the file. Open the file, change the zoom as required, make an edit, ie. add a space, save, remove the edit, save, close. The file will now open at the new zoom level. It i...

Insert options
I've recently been "upgraded" to Office 2010 from Office 2003 and find the "Ribbon" interface really horrible. A good example is in Excel. In Excel 2003 if I wanted to insert a row or column it was simple. Go to the insert menu and select either rows or columns. To do the same task in Excel 2010 the logical place to go is the "Insert" ribbon. This lets me insert lots of things, but none of them are rows or columns. To do that I have to go to the "Home" ribbon and then there is an Insert button from where I can insert rows or columns. I thought one ...

Can't get Firefox to open .html files as a limited user
I have set Firefox to open .html and .htm under my admin account but under a limited user it uses Internet Explorer to open them. How can I fix that? Thanks. change the settings in the account, elevate it temporarily to make the changes. Mint wrote: > I have set Firefox to open .html and .htm under my admin account but > under a limited user it uses Internet Explorer to open them. > > How can I fix that? > > Thanks. Ask in a Firefox newsgroup, HoopleHead. "Mint" <chocolatemint77581@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:024004f0-a8ae...

How to revalue an option buttons
Hi, I have option group in from to add values in table. These options use to add a percentage to the table. The first one has 50% labels; the second one has 55% and so on to 100%. The problem is when I retype the value of each option from 1 to 0.50 the value returns to 0. Can any body help me revaluing the value of each option? Thanks!! Check the field type, if its Long or Integer it will round the number and 0.5 will turn into 0. Change the field type to Double or Single -- Good Luck BS"D "Jon" wrote: > Hi, > I have option group in from to add values in table...

Outlook takes a while opening
I am experience slowness while opening Outlook XP, anyway form 45 to 80 seconds. I am currently running Office XP with SP 2 on a 2.4 GHz with 512MB. I already rename the "outcmd.dat" and still having delay Any Ideas.. Try disabling the integration with Instant Messenger in Tools | Options | Other and see if that speeds things up. -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Replies sent to my e-mail address will probably not be answered -- please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. *** "Deryck" <deryck.motielall@sesameworkshop> wrote in ...

how to return max value with Vlookup
Hi I have 2 workbooks. The first one is the order form and the second on contains the data. In the date file, an item may appear 3-4 times wit different price. I did a formula to return a value using vlookup but it only returns m the first value. Is there a way to force Excel to return the maximum value? Thank. Johann -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com You can do this with an array formula. A simple example: Your item names are in A1:A10 and the amounts are in B1:B10. The item name you want to look up is in C1. =MAX((C1=A1:A10)*B1:B10) To work this formula must be ...

Validation Options with option List
Good morning! i have set up an validation list option in Excel so i can choose what option to pick. For example, i can choose test1, test2 and/or test3. But what i want to try to do is when i choose one of the options test1,test2 and/or test3 i want for those options different fields like for example: Test1 this is the text of data for test1 When i choose the option Test2 i want the text or data cleared for test1 and see the text for option 2. I hope you can help me with this problem, thanks in advanced! Edo -- EdoZwart ---------------------------------------------------------------...

Opening emails and messages in full screen mode
I can't find a way to make emails and newsgroup messages open in full screen mode. Is there a way to do it? Jim Hawkins Any window you want to resize permanently must be the /last/ window closed. Grab the corners of the window and drag it to full screen size. Do not use Maximize. Close all other windows first via the Taskbar and this one last. Windows will remember the *last* screen size used the next time you open the program. -- Bruce Hagen MS-MVP [Mail] Imperial Beach, CA "Jim Hawkins" <jimhawkins@manx.net> wrot...

data validation
Is it possible to create a similar function like data validation, from which I can select multiple options? (Background: I need a list of many names, from which I case by case can select). Not really. Maybe you could use a listbox. I added a listbox from the Forms toolbar to a worksheet. I called it "List Box 1". I rightclicked on that listbox and chose Format Control. On the Control tab, I chose Selection Type of Multi. I also pointed at the range that held the values that go in that listbox. Then I added a button from the Forms toolbar (I click the button when I'm d...