Opening two separate instances of Excel

My users (who are accountants) use dual monitors and would like to open a
different Excel file on each monitor for the purposes of reviewing changes
between the two. I know that one method of doing this is by opening Excel
twice with its shortcut, then highlighting one Excel window and opening an
Excel file, then highlighting the other window and opening the other Excel
file. Unfortunately, the software that my users use to organize the Excel
files does not allow this to be done; it always opens every Excel file in the
first Excel window no matter which instance is highlighted. We had a similar
problem with Adobe Acrobat, but there is a command line switch that forces
Acrobat to open a new instance for each file.
Is there a similar switch for Excel, or some other method of forcing Excel
to open a new instance of itself for each file? We are running Excel 2003 on
Windows XP. Thank you in advance for your replies.
0
RonBishop (1)

You might try going into the file associations (via Windows Explorer ->
Tools, Folder Options, File Types) and for XLS files eliminate "uses DDE"
from the Open command.  Replace it with a " %1" on the command line (after
the "/e").

--
Jim
"Ron Bishop" <RonBishop@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| My users (who are accountants) use dual monitors and would like to open a
| different Excel file on each monitor for the purposes of reviewing changes
| between the two. I know that one method of doing this is by opening Excel
| twice with its shortcut, then highlighting one Excel window and opening an
| Excel file, then highlighting the other window and opening the other Excel
| file. Unfortunately, the software that my users use to organize the Excel
| files does not allow this to be done; it always opens every Excel file in
the
| first Excel window no matter which instance is highlighted. We had a
similar
| problem with Adobe Acrobat, but there is a command line switch that forces
| Acrobat to open a new instance for each file.
| Is there a similar switch for Excel, or some other method of forcing Excel
| to open a new instance of itself for each file? We are running Excel 2003
on
| Windows XP. Thank you in advance for your replies.

0
jrrech (1933)
6/29/2005 6:58:59 PM
just what I was looking for and this one actually does work as prescribed!!
Thanks Jim and thanks to Ron for asking the question.
--
Thanks,
Ted

"Jim Rech" wrote:

> You might try going into the file associations (via Windows Explorer ->
> Tools, Folder Options, File Types) and for XLS files eliminate "uses DDE"
> from the Open command.  Replace it with a " %1" on the command line (after
> the "/e").
>
> --
> Jim
> "Ron Bishop" <RonBishop@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> | My users (who are accountants) use dual monitors and would like to open a
> | different Excel file on each monitor for the purposes of reviewing changes
> | between the two. I know that one method of doing this is by opening Excel
> | twice with its shortcut, then highlighting one Excel window and opening an
> | Excel file, then highlighting the other window and opening the other Excel
> | file. Unfortunately, the software that my users use to organize the Excel
> | files does not allow this to be done; it always opens every Excel file in
> the
> | first Excel window no matter which instance is highlighted. We had a
> similar
> | problem with Adobe Acrobat, but there is a command line switch that forces
> | Acrobat to open a new instance for each file.
> | Is there a similar switch for Excel, or some other method of forcing Excel
> | to open a new instance of itself for each file? We are running Excel 2003
> on
> | Windows XP. Thank you in advance for your replies.

0
Ted (71)

excel to get data from an access database
I need excel to get data from an access database similar to vlookup function from an excel table. In order to have only specific records copied to your Excel file, the query needs to include selection criteria (and sort order if necessary). Otherwise, all records get copied and you then need to create lookup formulas or use filters to restrict the set of record. If you are not familiar with Access queries, have someone who is create one for you as a stored query object in the database file. You can then use the Data>Import (Get) External Data and choose the query as your record sour...

What is an addin (in Excel) and how can we create one?
Hi, I want to know what an excel addin is and how to create an excel addin (not the method Save as .xla) for say, to check the occurances of an item. In Col A, several items are listed like item1, item2, item3 etc upto item10. Some items repeat more than once. Can an addin be created to check the no. of occurances of AN item in this list? If so how> Thank You Hi Shajueasow, See: http://www.fontstuff.com/vba/vbatut03.htm for a tutorial. --- Regards, Norman "shajueasow" <shajueasow@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9DC9E994-13FE-4FFA-957E-10...

Excel 2000 question.
Hello, Group: I am looking to run a macro that pauses for input. For example to bend metal, I would like to have the macro ask for number of bends, then continue in the computation. Thanks, --tj Dim numBends As Long On Error Resume Next numBends = InputBox("Number of bends") On Error GoTo 0 If numBends > 0 Then 'rest of code End If -- __________________________________ HTH Bob <techjohnny@gmail.com> wrote in message news:66a3c982-1496-4d73-8284-0a630e498706@l42g2000hsc.googlegroups.com... > Hello, Group: > > I am looking ...

Publisher 2000

opening links in outlook

excel as a database #2
Is there a limit to how many text characters that can go into a cell? Phill Yes 32,767 characters, approx 1,024 visible in the cell -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom (No private emails please, for everyone's benefit keep the discussion in the newsgroup/forum) "Phill" <phill.hudson@btinternet.com> wrote in message news:ccesl0$g3u$1@titan.btinternet.com... > Is there a limit to how many text characters that can go into a cell? > > Phill > > Phill, A cell can hold 32K characters, but only about 1K will be visible. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MV...

Problem trying to open old money file

Email with tiny attachments open slow

Need an open house sign in sheet

combining folders(calendar, inbox,,outbox,contacts,etc)that appear in two places
I need assistance in configuring my Outlook, particularly since I just started to receive my email via outlook. I have folders with the same labels and names in"Outlook Today" and "Personal Folders". The calendar with information and listing of all tasks are in Personal Folders section with Outlook Today being empty. I believe my email is coming into Outlook Today area. I would like to consolidate these areas, I think under Outlook Today, and learn more re when to use what. The outlook today is synchronous on our LAN but there is nothing of import there thus defeat...

Creating folders from Excel Columns

Update Link Tables from Excel
I recently got an update from Office 97 to Office 2003. We're just slightly behind the times. Anyway, I had an access database in 97 that would link to an Excel file that I would use to add data to the Excel file based upon information in a master table in Access. Now when I try to run the query in Access 2003, it gives me an error that it is not an updateable query. I suppose I could export the master data to an Excel spreadsheet and use a VLookup function, copy and paste to all the records that need to be updated and the copy and paste values, but I originally did...

SheetName (Application.Caller.Parent.Name) Forces Excel to Save File
I have a VBA function in Excel that I have been using for years that will display the sheet name in a cell. The VBA function is as follows: Function SheetName() As String Application.Volatile SheetName = Application.Caller.Parent.Name End Function This works great. However, I have found that if I am using this function if I open a worksheet and not change anything Excel will prompt me if I want to save the worksheet if I have not made any changes. Why is this happening and is there a way to prevent this from happening? Thanks, Mike The problem may be Application.Volitile If ...

Update complete excel file online
Dear all, Hope you can help me with this problem. An excel file is updated on a daily basis and can only be found on the internet. The basic format of this file is always the same, the only changing aspect is the data. How, or if even possible, could I implement something (e.g. a button?) which automatically implements the updated sheet from the Internet. I am really looking forward to hearing from you. Thanks a lot and best regards, ...

cannot open excel file from outlook

opening links

using my Money 2005 file on two different computers
I use MS Money 2005 for my personal financle data. My Money file lives on my computer. I want to have my bookkeeper enter data into this file. I want to be able to have her work on the data from her computer which is networked to my computer. We have tried opening the file from her computer over the network with no sucess. We can see the file but the password does not work. We have tried burning the file to a CD but when we try to open the file from her computer we can get the password to work. The same thing that happens when we try to restore a backup on her computer. We tried usi...

Two basic questions about VC++.net
Hi, everyone, I just got two basic questions: 1. How to change the projec name? 2. After I opened a project for a while, sometimes I forgot where this project locates. How do I know its location such like c:\data\temp\... Thanks Tbird Hi Wei, "Wei Su" <thunderbird@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1125582919.219813.40530@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com... > Hi, everyone, > I just got two basic questions: > 1. How to change the projec name? You can change the name of the output file in the Link properties sheet. Changing the name of the files and classes is mostly a m...

How do I delete merged cells in Excel without deleting the final d
I have a column of dates that was formatted YY/MM/DD that I wanted formatted MM/DD/YY. I split the cells then recombined the 3 new columns into a 4th using the concatenate function. How do I delete the 3 columns without deleting the combined data in the 4th? Thanks, Mary First, if the data were really dates, you should be able to just format the cells the way you want. But if it's text that looks like data, you did ok! You can either hide the original columns and keep the concatenation formula --or convert the column of formulas to values (edit|copy, edit|paste spec...