Opening Lotus *.123 files in Excel

Is there a convertion filter for opening Lotus *.123 files in Excel.  I can
convert *.wk? files, but I am unable to open *.123 (Lotus 1-2-3 Release 9 for
Windows) files
0
Warren4678 (45)

"Jim Warren" <Jim Warren@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote...
>Is there a convertion filter for opening Lotus *.123 files in Excel.
>I can convert *.wk? files, but I am unable to open *.123 (Lotus 1-2-3
>Release 9 for Windows) files

The .wk? file formats predated Microsoft securing +90% market share, so way
back then they had to compete in terms of interoperability. The .123 file
format came after Microsoft had secured the market, so they no longer had
any compelling reason to work with other, newer file formats. In the 8+
years that the .123 file format has existed, Microsoft has produced NO
SOFTWARE AT ALL to work with it. No reason to suspect Microsoft will produce
anything ever or at least any time soon.

The only software that works with .123 files that could convert such files
to .xls format are 123 Release 9.x itself, Quattro Pro version 10 and later,
and (per its marketing literature) DataViz's ConversionPlus. That's all.

0
hrlngrv (1990)
9/27/2004 8:07:41 AM

"Harlan Grove" wrote:

> "Jim Warren" <Jim Warren@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote...
> >Is there a convertion filter for opening Lotus *.123 files in Excel.
> >I can convert *.wk? files, but I am unable to open *.123 (Lotus 1-2-3
> >Release 9 for Windows) files
>
> The .wk? file formats predated Microsoft securing +90% market share, so way
> back then they had to compete in terms of interoperability. The .123 file
> format came after Microsoft had secured the market, so they no longer had
> any compelling reason to work with other, newer file formats. In the 8+
> years that the .123 file format has existed, Microsoft has produced NO
> SOFTWARE AT ALL to work with it. No reason to suspect Microsoft will produce
> anything ever or at least any time soon.
>
> The only software that works with .123 files that could convert such files
> to .xls format are 123 Release 9.x itself, Quattro Pro version 10 and later,
> and (per its marketing literature) DataViz's ConversionPlus. That's all.
>

> Thanks Harlan, that's what I suspected, but wanted to confirm.  Jim
0
JimWarren (1)

excel to get data from an access database
I need excel to get data from an access database similar to vlookup function from an excel table. In order to have only specific records copied to your Excel file, the query needs to include selection criteria (and sort order if necessary). Otherwise, all records get copied and you then need to create lookup formulas or use filters to restrict the set of record. If you are not familiar with Access queries, have someone who is create one for you as a stored query object in the database file. You can then use the Data>Import (Get) External Data and choose the query as your record sour...

Office 07 Excel chart title position
I want my chart title to be positioned above the chart /plot area, can't do it. "above the chart" does not position the title above the chart, it leaves exactly where "centered overlay title" put it. Help please (& thank you) An option would be to use worksheet cells to add your title rather than using the chart itself. Using worksheet cells positioned directly over the top of your chart would allow you to control the title location as well as expand the area available for the plot. -- John Mansfield cellmatrix.net "Eve Allen" wrote: > I w...

Problem with Excel 2003 restricting functionality
I have MS Excel 2003 installed on my computer. When I open a new workbook and click on any cell, the pointer goes to a white cross or plus symbol. Then I am unable to do anything. I can move the mouse anywhere on the sheet and it highlights the cells that the pointer has gone over as if I am selecting a range/group of cells such as you would if you were going to delete them or clear contents. I try to right click and nothing happens. I move the pointer over the tool bar, it does nothing. I hit <ESC> and still nothing. The only thing that does anything is going into the task manage...

How to create/embed table or existing Excel spreadsheet into Lotus Notes 6.5 email
I have been successful in creating and sending an email through Lotus Notes. However, I need to be able to format the body so that the message is more presentable. Currently, I filter a spreadsheet based on two named ranges and send an email to the SOX audit team member and copy the SOX control owner. I copy the values from selected columns on the visible rows and separate those values by tabs. However, the presentation is bad as the data is variable in length and therefore the alignment is not correct. I would like to learn how to create/embed either a table into the Lotus Notes email bo...

What is an addin (in Excel) and how can we create one?
Hi, I want to know what an excel addin is and how to create an excel addin (not the method Save as .xla) for say, to check the occurances of an item. In Col A, several items are listed like item1, item2, item3 etc upto item10. Some items repeat more than once. Can an addin be created to check the no. of occurances of AN item in this list? If so how> Thank You Hi Shajueasow, See: http://www.fontstuff.com/vba/vbatut03.htm for a tutorial. --- Regards, Norman "shajueasow" <shajueasow@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9DC9E994-13FE-4FFA-957E-10...

Publisher 2000

excel as a database #2
Is there a limit to how many text characters that can go into a cell? Phill Yes 32,767 characters, approx 1,024 visible in the cell -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom (No private emails please, for everyone's benefit keep the discussion in the newsgroup/forum) "Phill" <phill.hudson@btinternet.com> wrote in message news:ccesl0$g3u$1@titan.btinternet.com... > Is there a limit to how many text characters that can go into a cell? > > Phill > > Phill, A cell can hold 32K characters, but only about 1K will be visible. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MV...

opening links in outlook

Problem trying to open old money file

OL 2003 .nk2 file clears on reboot
We have a client machine whose NK2 file is cleared on reboot. We have tried creating deleting the nk2 file to have OL create a new one, created a new OL profile with no luck. When we copied another users nk2 file to his directory and renamed it to his profile the data is picked up, but no new address are stored. outlook writes to the file when it closes - so it seems outlook is not closing correctly. is there a pda or an application using outlook data? if so, close it first. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Need Help with Common Tasks? h...

amalgamating archive files
I have several archive files and I'd like to combine them into a single one. Is there a way to do this? Thanks. Howie ...

Email with tiny attachments open slow

Need an open house sign in sheet

cannot open excel file from outlook

opening links

Update complete excel file online
Dear all, Hope you can help me with this problem. An excel file is updated on a daily basis and can only be found on the internet. The basic format of this file is always the same, the only changing aspect is the data. How, or if even possible, could I implement something (e.g. a button?) which automatically implements the updated sheet from the Internet. I am really looking forward to hearing from you. Thanks a lot and best regards, ...

SheetName (Application.Caller.Parent.Name) Forces Excel to Save File
I have a VBA function in Excel that I have been using for years that will display the sheet name in a cell. The VBA function is as follows: Function SheetName() As String Application.Volatile SheetName = Application.Caller.Parent.Name End Function This works great. However, I have found that if I am using this function if I open a worksheet and not change anything Excel will prompt me if I want to save the worksheet if I have not made any changes. Why is this happening and is there a way to prevent this from happening? Thanks, Mike The problem may be Application.Volitile If ...

Best file recovery program?
I need a good file recovery program that will run both under Vista and Win 7. It needs to be able to salvage files both deleted and those lost because of disc errors. It also needs to be able to work with both internal and external hard discs, and all flavors of CD and DVD. Any recommendations? Most of the ones that allow you to download a trial have crippled to trial so much that it's really hard to judge them. Incidentally, I ran the free Recuva on a DVD-RW; I started it at 12:30 PM and at 5:30 AM (17 hours later) it showed 89% complete, and at 8:00 it had stopped with th...

using my Money 2005 file on two different computers
I use MS Money 2005 for my personal financle data. My Money file lives on my computer. I want to have my bookkeeper enter data into this file. I want to be able to have her work on the data from her computer which is networked to my computer. We have tried opening the file from her computer over the network with no sucess. We can see the file but the password does not work. We have tried burning the file to a CD but when we try to open the file from her computer we can get the password to work. The same thing that happens when we try to restore a backup on her computer. We tried usi...