Opening/importing data from database takes forever after upgrading office!

Hello.

I recently reinstalled a users computer and upgraded his
office version from 2000 to xp. Now when he imports data
from a database it takes forever. It can take several
minutes and before the reinstallation the operation only
took seconds.

What could be wrong? I did the same on his coworkers
computer with the same result so there must be something
that can solve the problem. I just can't figure it out.

The run windows 2000 sp4.

Please help.  :^)
//Johan
0
anonymous (74717)

Anyone?
0
anonymous (74717)
2/20/2004 2:50:58 PM
It never hurts to empty the windows temp folder (with excel closed), but it may
not help.

You may want to take a look at these two sites
(Charles Williams and David McRitchie):

http://www.decisionmodels.com
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/slowresp.htm

If none of that helps, you may want to post back with more details--what
database program and how you're importing it.

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

After sharepoint3 import from sp2, DNS records incorret?
Hello We have imported site to Sharepoint 3.0 (SBS2008) from Sharepoint 2. Now there are some strange occasional DNS lookup errors. Some pages fail to open but next time there is no problem opening the same page. DNS is running on the same local server where Sharepoint. Both have the same IP in fact.. With nslookup from workstation I noticed that "mycompanyweb" is resolved correctly while "http:/mycomanyweb" fails. 1. Might there be some (http:// prefix) missing in DNS server? 2. When there is a subsite "mycompanyweb/mydepartment", do we need ...

excel to get data from an access database
I need excel to get data from an access database similar to vlookup function from an excel table. In order to have only specific records copied to your Excel file, the query needs to include selection criteria (and sort order if necessary). Otherwise, all records get copied and you then need to create lookup formulas or use filters to restrict the set of record. If you are not familiar with Access queries, have someone who is create one for you as a stored query object in the database file. You can then use the Data>Import (Get) External Data and choose the query as your record sour...

Histogram data analysis tool
In attempting to use the Data Analysis Tool histogram generator of Excel 2003, I can't get it to work right (i.e., the way I want it to work). I suspect that I have some sort of DATE HHMMSS problem, and one confusing thing is that the value displayed on the fx input bar is not the same format as the cell I'm trying to edit. For instance when the cell contains 9/2/2005 1:00 the fx bar displays 9/2/2005 1:00:00 AM. So when I enter a series of times on 9/2/2005, 30 mins apart in the bin range all of the data is counted as being in the first 30 mins, rather than distributed over the...

Relational Equiv. of Database
I'd like to create an XML schema that will allow me to save and retrieve data that is equivalent to a relational database with relationships defined between members of various tables. Is this possible with XML and if so can somebody point me to examples or other sources of information? TIA Brad ...

Publisher 2000

Export from and Import to Access
We are creating an issues tracking database using Access 2003 and would like to export information to management, obtain their feedback and update the database on a periodic basis. What is the best process for doing this? Would Access 2007 make this process easier somehow? -- gsr Per srichards: >We are creating an issues tracking database using Access 2003 and would like >to export information to management, obtain their feedback and update the >database on a periodic basis. What is the best process for doing this? >Would Access 2007 make this process easier somehow? D...

Problem trying to open old money file

How do you enable Out of Office replies to go out of office?
I have tried ESM/Global Settings/Internet Message Format/Default/Properties/Advanced tab Exchange rich-text format: Determined by individual user settings Message text word wrap: never use ENABLED Allow out of office responses ENABLED Allow automatic replies ENABLED Allow automatic forward ENABLED Allow delivery reports ENABLED Allow non-delivery reports ENABLED Preserve sender's display name on message Out of office responses still go in-house only. Please help. Stop and start the SMTP service and the MTA. Worst case scenario is that you will have to stop and start all of the...

importing notes
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Email Client: pop Does anyone know how to import notes from Windows Vista Outlook 2007 to Entourage 2008 on Snow Leopard? ...

Converting Quicken Data
Hello, I just got a new Compaq Desktop (2.5 GHz Celeron with 384 MB RAM). Money 2003 OEM Standard Version came with it. I hae tried several times to convert my Qucken Data (it's a big file--I've been using Quicken since 1995). My Quicken program is Quicken 2001 Deluxe. Anyway, the MS Money program starts to convert and after a few minutes says: "Your Quicken file could not be converted. Money could not convert your Quicken file. You might have run out of disk space or system memory. Try closing other programs and making sure the disk you are copying your file to has enough sp...

excel as a database #2
Is there a limit to how many text characters that can go into a cell? Phill Yes 32,767 characters, approx 1,024 visible in the cell -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom (No private emails please, for everyone's benefit keep the discussion in the newsgroup/forum) "Phill" <phill.hudson@btinternet.com> wrote in message news:ccesl0$g3u$1@titan.btinternet.com... > Is there a limit to how many text characters that can go into a cell? > > Phill > > Phill, A cell can hold 32K characters, but only about 1K will be visible. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MV...

opening links in outlook

Loosing Data-Help needed
Hi All, I have an huge spreadsheet with macros on it, which is continuously updated. Off recently my spreadsheet is loosing the data i.e. I will have 2-3 days old information, all the updates that we made recently is lost. I am saving the spreadsheet every 15-20 mins still it is doing it. Could anyone please help me :confused: . Thank You, Naveen -- neomemphis ------------------------------------------------------------------------ neomemphis's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=33240 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?th...

office prof 2003 upgrade
I have microsoft works 9 installed. When I try to use my Office Prof 2003 upgrade it will not recognize the office works 9 as a valid upgrade program. How can I get the upgrade to work? I cannot find any hints within the MS website. Thanks for your help! Andrew wrote: >I have microsoft works 9 installed. When I try to use my Office Prof 2003 >upgrade it will not recognize the office works 9 as a valid upgrade program. >How can I get the upgrade to work? I cannot find any hints within the MS >website. Thanks for your help! > > You may need this patc...

Changing data orientation from one sheet to another
Hi, On sheet1 the data is oriented vertically as A1 A2 A3 I'd like on sheet2 the data be oriented horizontally A1 to A1 A2 to B1 A3 to B3 Can it be done? if so, how? TIA Olga Excell 07 Copy the data from sheet1 Select A1 of sheet2 and paste special>transpose. Note: cannot be done if you have more than 16384 rows of data in column A Also, I think you have a typo at A3 to B3.........maybe A3 to C1? Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 19:55:12 +0200, "Olga" <noemail@hotmail.com> wrote: >Hi, >On sheet1 the data is oriented vertically as >A1 >A...

Office X 10.1.2 Update Failed
I'm new to the Mac OS X although pretty experienced with Windows XP and Office. When I try to update my original install of Office X, I get error message 11002:2,-14. I read the Read Me and troubleshooting section, turned off the virus protection and removed the Microsoft Office Plugin file as directed in the troubleshooting. None of this helped. I noticed (remember I'm new to Macs) I can move a copy of the Microsoft Office X directory to another hard drive, and clicking on Entrouage or any program opens it just fine (including all the mail). Of course, that would be impossible in...

Email with tiny attachments open slow

linking data #2
I need to fill a table on one sheet with data from another sheet. The data is the sum of totals from a range of sub-tables. What I require is a function that will sequentially fill a colum on one sheet by gathering every 15th value from the data column on another sheet. Thanks This will pick up A1, A16, A31, A46, ... =INDEX(Sheet1!A:A,(ROW()-1)*15+1) Dragged down. But this would seem pretty dangerous to me. If you insert/delete rows, won't everything go south pretty fast? Since you're working with subtotals, maybe using data|pivottable would be better. If you want to read mor...

Creating PDF No Longer Works in Any Office Product
I'm not sure when things stopped working. I have MSO 2003 and Windows 2007. When I hit the PDF button in Excel, it starts going through the PDF motions but then Excel locks up and stops responding. In Word, the screen blinks a few times and then just goes back to Word without making the PDF. This is getting frustrating, any ideas? Try this first if you use Excel 2007 Run Office Diagnostics. Office Button>Excel Options...Resources -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm "Mark" <Mark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in ...

OFFICE 2003 02-12-10
ALL OF A SUDDEN I WAS NOT ABLE TO OPEN EXCEL ANYMORE. INSTEAD OF OPENING THE PROGRAM, IT WENT TO WINDOWS INSTALLER AND JUST STOPPED.I REMOVED OFFICE 2003 FROM THE HARDDRIVE AND THEN REINSTALLED IT FROM THE DISK. HOWEVER, I AM GETTING THE ERROR MESSAGE: "ERROR 1304 - ERROR WRITING TO FILE: C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT OFFICE\OFFICEII\1033\XLINTL32.DLL VERIFY THAT YOU HAVE ACCESS TO THAT DIRECTORY " i WAS ABLE TO INSTALL "WORD" AND "OUTLOOCK" SEPARASTE;Y. BUT WHENEVER I TRY TO INSTALL "EXCEL" I GET THE SAME ERROR MESSAGE. WHAT CAN I DO TO...

In place CRM and Windows upgrade
I have a customer that has CRM 3.0 installed on a Windows 2000 and SQL 2000 Server. The customer wishes to upgrade to CRM 4.0 and Windows 2008, and remain on the same physical server. What is the best approach for this? Here what I am thinking: 1. Backup CRM databases 2. Format and Upgrade Windows 2000 to Windows 2003 3. Install SQL 2005 4. Install CRM 3.0 from Existing Database Option 5. Upgrade to CRM 4.0 6. Backup CRM 4.0 databases 7. Upgrade to Windows 2008 Is there any other critical steps I am missing for this? Hi, It sounds like a plan, however I think CRM 4.0 still hav...