Opening Excel Problem

Reply to windsurf222@hotmail.com

Hi
I was trying to open excel on my Pentium 2, windows 98. I have office 2000
premium, the excel version. As soon as I click on the icon, and the the
opening page appears, all of a sudden the screen changes rapidfire speed and
it starts going thru the sheets up to about 500 or however much it goes up
to. I can stop it by cntrl, alt, dlt and them hitting end task.
What is going on ? I tried uninstalling and reinstalling same thing. If I
look at excel on the cd, it's fine. I turned off norton anti virus.
George

Try opening Excel in safe mode, then go to tools options general and clear out
the box next to Alternate Startup directory

"George" <windsurf222@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Reply to windsurf222@hotmail.com
>
> Hi
> I was trying to open excel on my Pentium 2, windows 98. I have office 2000
> premium, the excel version. As soon as I click on the icon, and the the
> opening page appears, all of a sudden the screen changes rapidfire speed and
> it starts going thru the sheets up to about 500 or however much it goes up
> to. I can stop it by cntrl, alt, dlt and them hitting end task.
> What is going on ? I tried uninstalling and reinstalling same thing. If I
> look at excel on the cd, it's fine. I turned off norton anti virus.
> George

HI John
I was able to stop the program by using th escape key.
I checked in the general sec't and the box next to Alternate startup file
location was already blank ! And I've tried to open excel and still goes
thru all the sheets in rapidfire. Other ideas ?
Thansk
George

"jaf" <me@here.com> wrote in message
> Hi George,
> Most likely you have assigned an alternate start up directory or folder in
> the menu tools>options>general "Alternate startup file location".
> This will cause Excel to open every file in that folder.
>
> One way to fix this is to wait until it finishes, and then change or
delete
> the folder in  tools>options>general "Alternate startup file location".
> If you run out of memory before it can finish and you know the folder
name,
> close Excel and rename the folder.
> Open Excel, change or delete the folder in  tools>options>general
"Alternate
> startup file location".
> Close Excel.
> Rename the folder back to the original name.
>

> --
>
> John
>
> johnf202 at hotmail dot com
>

> "George" <windsurf222@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Reply to windsurf222@hotmail.com
> >
> > Hi
> > I was trying to open excel on my Pentium 2, windows 98. I have office
2000
> > premium, the excel version. As soon as I click on the icon, and the the
> > opening page appears, all of a sudden the screen changes rapidfire speed
> and
> > it starts going thru the sheets up to about 500 or however much it goes
up
> > to. I can stop it by cntrl, alt, dlt and them hitting end task.
> > What is going on ? I tried uninstalling and reinstalling same thing. If
> > look at excel on the cd, it's fine. I turned off norton anti virus.
> > George

Find your XLSTART folder and see what files are located there

> HI John
> I was able to stop the program by using th escape key.
> I checked in the general sec't and the box next to Alternate startup file
> location was already blank ! And I've tried to open excel and still goes
> thru all the sheets in rapidfire. Other ideas ?
> Thansk
> George
>
> "jaf" <me@here.com> wrote in message
> > Hi George,
> > Most likely you have assigned an alternate start up directory or folder in
> > the menu tools>options>general "Alternate startup file location".
> > This will cause Excel to open every file in that folder.
> >
> > One way to fix this is to wait until it finishes, and then change or
> delete
> > the folder in  tools>options>general "Alternate startup file location".
> > If you run out of memory before it can finish and you know the folder
> name,
> > close Excel and rename the folder.
> > Open Excel, change or delete the folder in  tools>options>general
> "Alternate
> > startup file location".
> > Close Excel.
> > Rename the folder back to the original name.
> >

> > --
> >
> > John
> >
> > johnf202 at hotmail dot com
> >

> > "George" <windsurf222@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > Reply to windsurf222@hotmail.com
> > >
> > > Hi
> > > I was trying to open excel on my Pentium 2, windows 98. I have office
> 2000
> > > premium, the excel version. As soon as I click on the icon, and the the
> > > opening page appears, all of a sudden the screen changes rapidfire speed
> > and
> > > it starts going thru the sheets up to about 500 or however much it goes
> up
> > > to. I can stop it by cntrl, alt, dlt and them hitting end task.
> > > What is going on ? I tried uninstalling and reinstalling same thing. If
> > > look at excel on the cd, it's fine. I turned off norton anti virus.
> > > George

HI
There are 2 folders. One folder - C:\Program Files\ Microsoft
Office\Office\XLStart  contains 2 files Msexcel4.xlm   and also
Msexcel5.xls
The other folder C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART
CONTAINS NO FILES.
I tried opening the 2 files in the 1st folder, and they both scrolled thru
the sheets and stopped when I hit the escape key. A window came up about
macros(don't know what they are).

George

"Lady Layla" <Ladylayla1961@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Find your XLSTART folder and see what files are located there
>

> "George" <windsurf222@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > HI John
> > I was able to stop the program by using th escape key.
> > I checked in the general sec't and the box next to Alternate startup
file
> > location was already blank ! And I've tried to open excel and still goes
> > thru all the sheets in rapidfire. Other ideas ?
> > Thansk
> > George
> >
> > "jaf" <me@here.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi George,
> > > Most likely you have assigned an alternate start up directory or
folder in
> > > the menu tools>options>general "Alternate startup file location".
> > > This will cause Excel to open every file in that folder.
> > >
> > > One way to fix this is to wait until it finishes, and then change or
> > delete
> > > the folder in  tools>options>general "Alternate startup file
location".
> > > If you run out of memory before it can finish and you know the folder
> > name,
> > > close Excel and rename the folder.
> > > Open Excel, change or delete the folder in  tools>options>general
> > "Alternate
> > > startup file location".
> > > Close Excel.
> > > Rename the folder back to the original name.
> > >

> > > --
> > >
> > > John
> > >
> > > johnf202 at hotmail dot com
> > >

> > > "George" <windsurf222@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > 2000
> > > and
> > up
If

Sorry I forgot to include this. i tried in safe mode and the box is blank in
safe mode next to Alternate startup directory.
> Try opening Excel in safe mode, then go to tools options general and clear
out
> the box next to Alternate Startup directory
>

> "George" <windsurf222@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Reply to windsurf222@hotmail.com
> >
> > Hi
> > I was trying to open excel on my Pentium 2, windows 98. I have office
2000
> > premium, the excel version. As soon as I click on the icon, and the the
> > opening page appears, all of a sudden the screen changes rapidfire speed
and
> > it starts going thru the sheets up to about 500 or however much it goes
up
> > to. I can stop it by cntrl, alt, dlt and them hitting end task.
> > What is going on ? I tried uninstalling and reinstalling same thing. If
> > look at excel on the cd, it's fine. I turned off norton anti virus.
> > George

Did your remove these files?

XL: New Workbooks Open Repeatedly Starting Excel
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q136874

It points at winfax pro as being a problem

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

problem with signature
I am trying to create a simple signature for my HTML mails, with a link to my website.I want it to be a hover link, no underline. I have made a very simple HTML in Dreamweaver, and all the appropriate attributes and styles are set via CSS. It looks and works fine on my browser. But when I select it as my signature file in OL2003, hover link property disappears and it reverts to the dreaded underline link. Any ideas how achieve this? TIA ...

Money '04
I'm trying to use the 'Money Browser' w/in MSN Money 2004 and get "Page Cannot Be Displayed" or sometimes "Action Cancelled", but I can surf the web just fine with my cable modem...what's up with that? I've read on this forum that other users are having difficulties w/ this particular issue, any resolution would be helpful. I've tried: regsvr32 msxml3.dll in start|run also have un-installed and re-installed cookies enabled ...

Opening a new instance of Excel

Outlook2k7 over VPN Out of Office Assistant problem
User's computer is not a member of the domain. Mail flows and all looks good till you start the OOF thing. It will just tell you it cannot connect to the server because it's currently unavailable. Now when we add autodiscover.domain.com pointing to the Exchange server to the host file of that computer it works but why? Without it when you run a test it will tell you that a Srv Record lookup for domain.com FAILED (0x8004010F) or Local autodiscover for domain.com FAILED (0x8004010F) yaro Hello yaro, Thanks for your post. The error 0x8004010F usually means MAPI_E_NOT_FOU...

Emailing in excel 2003 02-26-10

Outlook Mobile Access Problem

Excel Crash

Excel Edit F2 button changed for Mac???

EXCEL TROUBLESHOOTING #2

OWA problems #6
Users from outside the firewall can logon succesfully into OWA interface, their mailbox opens, but in the reading pane the only message is "loading..." Also no other functions of OWA interface seems to work (new, contacts...) as well as log off button. However if I try to access OWA from inside the company everything is fine. Windows 2000 Server SP4 Exchange 2003 SP1 On Thu, 6 Oct 2005 11:33:14 -0700, "Ducukm0" <Ducukm0@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Users from outside the firewall can logon succesfully into OWA interface, >their mailbox opens, but in t...

Excel Cells Contents to HTML Pages

In Excel program shows a broken line and don't know how to get ri.

How to realize communication problem?
Hello everybody. I am working on a project in which I read/write data via rs-232 from/to my Windows application to/from an microcontroller. Now, my boss wants me to write a library which he can use for different microcontrollers. This library should store any changes of data. So the desired microcontroller should just be able to pick up the data. You can think of it this way: Me, representing the Windows application, put a sheet of information into a drawer. A buddy of mine, (representing a microcontroller) can go to the drawer an pick up the sheet for further treatment. So, my quest...

connect a form to excel database
I have a database in excel which lists our stock and prices etc. I would like to be able to enter a stock number on an invoice that will retrieve the details and price from my excel database. Can this be done? Excel has built in option--try data|form. If that doesn't quite work, but it's close, John Walkenbach has an enhanced dataform at: http://j-walk.com/ss/dataform/index.htm And if you want to design your own, Debra Dalgleish has a get started with userforms: http://contextures.com/xlUserForm01.html Kathy wrote: > > I have a database in excel which lists our stock and p...

Excel to check for regular expression?
Hi, How do you use Regular expression in excel? For eg: Check a column of data to see whether are all of them valid email addresses? Please advise THanks By valid, do you mean that the email is in proper syntax or that it is an actual email address. Text formulas can be used for proper syntax. Perhaps a Visual Basic proceedure. I doubt you can check that the email address actually exists, as many companies and ISPs will simply disregard and drop mail to invalid email addresses to eliminate spam "user" wrote: > Hi, > > How do you use Regular expression ...

Does anyone know where I can download EXCEL.MSI?
I am missing my Excel 2002 CD, and can't install Office Update Service Pack 3 without this file. ...

Excel ignores boot-time regional settings when interpreting a date
I have a third party DDE app that exports dates as strings, correctly using the short date format in the regional and language settings, which, in my case is MM/DD/YYYY (reset at every boot). Unfortunately excel insists in interpreting that date as DD/MM/YYYY [Application.International(xlDateOrder)=1, it should be 0], disregarding my regional settings. The result is that all the dates are wrong or #VALUES! If this is not wierd enough, listen to this: it only happens after I reboot (when the date format is reset to MM/DD/YYYY). If subsequently I change the short date format in the regional se...

Outlook 2003
Just upgraded from Outlook 2000 to Outlook 2003. Everything seems to be working OK !! BUT ! On the Outlook Today screen no images are shown. If I go into the customise option, there are no images shown for the various styles. Also any changes I make in Outlook today options are not saved.. Any Ideas ??? ...

opening Excel and then closing it
I have a file that is passed to me in XLS format, but I would much prefer to work with it in CSV. So I did this... ' open the downloaded file in Excel and copy it over to L in csv format Workbooks.Open "O:\Downloads\D00100001554_0.xls" Workbooks("D00100001554_0.xls").ConflictResolution = xlLocalSessionChanges Workbooks("D00100001554_0.xls").SaveAs "L:\Activity.csv", xlCSV Workbooks("Activity.csv").Close False This works fine except it leaves Excel open in the background. The only thing to do is fine it in Processes a...

Opening Files #5
When I first open Excel ( Office 2003) it goes to the wrong file. How can I get it to open intially the file I want ? Thank You -- George E To set up your main file in XL: <Tools> <Options <General> tab, And in the "Default File Location" box, Enter the path to whatever drive, and directory and file that you want. -- HTH, RD --------------------------------------------------------------------------- Please keep all correspondence within the NewsGroup, so all may benefit ! --------------------------------------------------------------------------- "George E...