Opening excel file in new window

When an excel is already open in a window and I open a new excel file it
opens in the same window. How do I make it open in a new window?
0
Ravi (33)

You can't. Excel has two windows only; Excel and the VB editor.

You may be able to open another instance of Excel though, with some Windows
trick or by code. But that is spending a lot of power just for an extra
window.

HTH. best wishes Harald

"Ravi" <Ravi@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i melding
> When an excel is already open in a window and I open a new excel file it
> opens in the same window. How do I make it open in a new window?

0
stf (176)
5/4/2005 9:58:45 AM
i dont understand am i missing something?...the current workbook is always on
top,but other workbooks can be open in seperate windows,you can toggle
between them from the taskbar,or alt tab between them,or se the excel windows
menu and the window menu also has a choice of new window so you can have
different parts of the same workbook open in seperate windows.In xp there is
even a choice to compare two open workbooks side by side--

Paul

"Harald Staff" wrote:

> You can't. Excel has two windows only; Excel and the VB editor.
>
> You may be able to open another instance of Excel though, with some Windows
> trick or by code. But that is spending a lot of power just for an extra
> window.
>
> HTH. best wishes Harald
>
> "Ravi" <Ravi@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i melding
> > When an excel is already open in a window and I open a new excel file it
> > opens in the same window. How do I make it open in a new window?

0
Paul297 (622)
5/4/2005 11:05:01 AM
In my earlier PC i used get the excel opened in new windows and i could do
alt tab to switch between windows. but in my new laptop all excel file opens
in the same window. I use XP. and when I click on new window, the excel file
opens again in the same window. There should be a way, i am sure. hope i get
an answer. Thanks for the response.
0
Ravi (33)
5/5/2005 10:50:02 AM
Under Tools, Options, View Tab look for "Show" - Windows in Task Bar and
Check..
Is this what you want?

"Harald Staff" <stf@enron.invalid> wrote in message
> You can't. Excel has two windows only; Excel and the VB editor.
>
> You may be able to open another instance of Excel though, with some
Windows
> trick or by code. But that is spending a lot of power just for an extra
> window.
>
> HTH. best wishes Harald
>
> "Ravi" <Ravi@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i melding
> > When an excel is already open in a window and I open a new excel file it
> > opens in the same window. How do I make it open in a new window?

0
jmay (696)
5/5/2005 11:31:00 AM
Alt-Tab, and taskbar representations, is done as Jim explains, Tools >
Options, select Windows in taskbar. It is still one window though; minimize
Excel and they all go down there.

BTW it's Ctrl F6 to switch between windows inside Excel. You get used to
that pretty fast.

> In my earlier PC i used get the excel opened in new windows and i could do
> alt tab to switch between windows. but in my new laptop all excel file
opens
> in the same window. I use XP. and when I click on new window, the excel
file
> opens again in the same window. There should be a way, i am sure. hope i
get
> an answer. Thanks for the response.

0
innocent (844)
5/5/2005 4:20:52 PM
Hello, I had the same problem, I posted here and elsewhere but no one could
help, I finally found the solution by mistake. Here it is

Open window explorer by right clicking the Start button and select Explore.
Windows Explorer opens, now select "Tools" then on the dropdown menu select
"Folder Options". In Folder Options , select the "File Types" tab.
Now scroll down until you see the file type of "XLS" under the column labled
"Extensions" Click on "XLS" to select it.
Next click on the Advanced button and then under "Actions" Click on "Open"
The Confirm open after download should be checked and the other two....
1. Always show extension
2. Browse same window

Should not be checked.

Next click "Edit"

Under Application used to perform action delete what is there (All of it)
and copy and paste the following into this space.

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\EXCEL.EXE" "%1"

Make sure the box "DDE Message" is clear and the Check Box labled "Use DDE"
is checked.
 You are done, click OK, Ok and Close. Now when you click on XLS files each
will open in it own window. (Hopefully)
--
Randy

"Ravi" wrote:

> When an excel is already open in a window and I open a new excel file it
> opens in the same window. How do I make it open in a new window?
0
Randy1 (153)
6/14/2005 8:54:04 PM
Thanks Randy.  Your suggestion did work for me.  I am using excel 2003 with
XP pro.

"Randy" wrote:

> Hello, I had the same problem, I posted here and elsewhere but no one could
> help, I finally found the solution by mistake. Here it is
>
> Open window explorer by right clicking the Start button and select Explore.
> Windows Explorer opens, now select "Tools" then on the dropdown menu select
> "Folder Options". In Folder Options , select the "File Types" tab.
> Now scroll down until you see the file type of "XLS" under the column labled
> "Extensions" Click on "XLS" to select it.
> Next click on the Advanced button and then under "Actions" Click on "Open"
> The Confirm open after download should be checked and the other two....
> 1. Always show extension
> 2. Browse same window
>
> Should not be checked.
>
> Next click "Edit"
>
> Under Application used to perform action delete what is there (All of it)
> and copy and paste the following into this space.
>
> "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\EXCEL.EXE" "%1"
>
> Make sure the box "DDE Message" is clear and the Check Box labled "Use DDE"
> is checked.
>  You are done, click OK, Ok and Close. Now when you click on XLS files each
> will open in it own window. (Hopefully)
> --
> Randy
>

> "Ravi" wrote:
>
> > When an excel is already open in a window and I open a new excel file it
> > opens in the same window. How do I make it open in a new window?
0
McD (5)

excel to get data from an access database
I need excel to get data from an access database similar to vlookup function from an excel table. In order to have only specific records copied to your Excel file, the query needs to include selection criteria (and sort order if necessary). Otherwise, all records get copied and you then need to create lookup formulas or use filters to restrict the set of record. If you are not familiar with Access queries, have someone who is create one for you as a stored query object in the database file. You can then use the Data>Import (Get) External Data and choose the query as your record sour...

Receipt Printer Windows Driver #2
Is there anyway for the cash drawer not to open when doing a reprint while using a windows printer rather than OPOS? Thanks, Steve Steve, I do not know of a way. You could lock out the reprint command keys to low security level employees (cashiers) using security settings, if you are trying to prevent cashiers from using that to open the cash drawer. Marc "Steve" <Steve@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B0846925-F06B-4F28-8E95-ECB85DFA76B1@microsoft.com... > Is there anyway for the cash drawer not to open when doing a reprint while > using a windo...

Office 07 Excel chart title position
I want my chart title to be positioned above the chart /plot area, can't do it. "above the chart" does not position the title above the chart, it leaves exactly where "centered overlay title" put it. Help please (& thank you) An option would be to use worksheet cells to add your title rather than using the chart itself. Using worksheet cells positioned directly over the top of your chart would allow you to control the title location as well as expand the area available for the plot. -- John Mansfield cellmatrix.net "Eve Allen" wrote: > I w...

How to create/embed table or existing Excel spreadsheet into Lotus Notes 6.5 email
I have been successful in creating and sending an email through Lotus Notes. However, I need to be able to format the body so that the message is more presentable. Currently, I filter a spreadsheet based on two named ranges and send an email to the SOX audit team member and copy the SOX control owner. I copy the values from selected columns on the visible rows and separate those values by tabs. However, the presentation is bad as the data is variable in length and therefore the alignment is not correct. I would like to learn how to create/embed either a table into the Lotus Notes email bo...

Problem with Excel 2003 restricting functionality
I have MS Excel 2003 installed on my computer. When I open a new workbook and click on any cell, the pointer goes to a white cross or plus symbol. Then I am unable to do anything. I can move the mouse anywhere on the sheet and it highlights the cells that the pointer has gone over as if I am selecting a range/group of cells such as you would if you were going to delete them or clear contents. I try to right click and nothing happens. I move the pointer over the tool bar, it does nothing. I hit <ESC> and still nothing. The only thing that does anything is going into the task manage...

Exporting to Excel
My Access 2002's export interface (ISAM) seems to be associated with earlier versions of Excel and limits the numbers of rows that can be exported to 16,000. How do I fix it so that I can export more rows? Among the less technical ideas, you might first confirm that all current updates and Export filters have been installed. AFAIK, Access '02 should be able to export more than 16,000 records if the appropriate filters are available... unless you mean that an older Excel format must be used. You might also consider exporting as a text file & then importing that to Excel as ...

Can a custom checkbox be added to a Scroll Window?
Hello all, I've added a custom checkbox field to GP. I have created the field in a separate table with a one to one relationship per the suggestions of various documents. My problem is now this, I cannot get the checkbox to work in a Scroll Window. I have the checkbox related to the PO Line table and can get it (the checkbox) to work on the PO Line Detail screen, but I really would like it to work on the PO Entry screen with the Scroll Window that contains all the PO Lines. I have added the checkbox onto the Scroll Window but it doesn't seem to work or be possible to fill t...

What is an addin (in Excel) and how can we create one?
Hi, I want to know what an excel addin is and how to create an excel addin (not the method Save as .xla) for say, to check the occurances of an item. In Col A, several items are listed like item1, item2, item3 etc upto item10. Some items repeat more than once. Can an addin be created to check the no. of occurances of AN item in this list? If so how> Thank You Hi Shajueasow, See: http://www.fontstuff.com/vba/vbatut03.htm for a tutorial. --- Regards, Norman "shajueasow" <shajueasow@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9DC9E994-13FE-4FFA-957E-10...

New Certificate problems
Our scenario We have been running with SBS 2003 for several years and our Certificate is pop3.olddomainname.co.uk (where our old domain name is now changing) For one reason or another, we've never got it qualified to DNS,, and with only 2 of us accessing OWA, we just use https://<external_IP>/exchange and our PDA's could get email OK on the move. Now, we have built a linux box to run the support part of our website, we have a new external domain, so we got support.newdomainname.co.uk added to DNS We need the PDA/iPhone to use SSL so that they and OWA use the 443 po...

Excel 2000 question.
Hello, Group: I am looking to run a macro that pauses for input. For example to bend metal, I would like to have the macro ask for number of bends, then continue in the computation. Thanks, --tj Dim numBends As Long On Error Resume Next numBends = InputBox("Number of bends") On Error GoTo 0 If numBends > 0 Then 'rest of code End If -- __________________________________ HTH Bob <techjohnny@gmail.com> wrote in message news:66a3c982-1496-4d73-8284-0a630e498706@l42g2000hsc.googlegroups.com... > Hello, Group: > > I am looking ...

Publisher 2000

excel as a database #2
Is there a limit to how many text characters that can go into a cell? Phill Yes 32,767 characters, approx 1,024 visible in the cell -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom (No private emails please, for everyone's benefit keep the discussion in the newsgroup/forum) "Phill" <phill.hudson@btinternet.com> wrote in message news:ccesl0$g3u$1@titan.btinternet.com... > Is there a limit to how many text characters that can go into a cell? > > Phill > > Phill, A cell can hold 32K characters, but only about 1K will be visible. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MV...

opening links in outlook

I don't show on windows friends list
I have a friend who says he can not see me online, when I have mine set to online, he can not see me, though he can see others. I am not in his blocked list? He has reinstalled it, with no luck. I can see him when he is online. appreciate any help on the situation, Bruce Is he using the same ID that you are using? I have had that experience where I used a different ID on WLM than elsewhere. -- rext "brucefl" wrote: > I have a friend who says he can not see me online, when I have mine set to > online, he can not see me, though he can see others. I am n...

OL 2003 .nk2 file clears on reboot
We have a client machine whose NK2 file is cleared on reboot. We have tried creating deleting the nk2 file to have OL create a new one, created a new OL profile with no luck. When we copied another users nk2 file to his directory and renamed it to his profile the data is picked up, but no new address are stored. outlook writes to the file when it closes - so it seems outlook is not closing correctly. is there a pda or an application using outlook data? if so, close it first. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Need Help with Common Tasks? h...

Problem trying to open old money file

Windows goes to the background
Hi Everyone, I am having a wiered problem. I have a Dialog based application that has a Modeless Child dialog. The child dialog is mostly hidden. I show the child dialog when I am syncing with the server to show progress message, and at the same time I disable the Main dialog with EnableWindow(FALSE), to simulate a modal dialog. Anyway when everything is done and I hide the Child dialog and call EnableWindow(TRUE) on the main dialog. When I do this the main dialog jumps behind all the other applications on the screen. This happens because of EnableWindow(FALSE), if I remove that line eve...

Adding a new Interface in MS CRM
Hi, I don't want to use the "Add Lead" form to create a lead. I have developed my own page for this using the MS CRM APIs. But I have to change the linked page of "Leads" link in the left menu ( Sales) and point to my custom page. How can I do this? Thanks, -Jaison Well this is a little different as you will have to recreate the outer shell of CRM. We did this using the ASP.NET controls from Infragistics for one of our clients. Sean "Jaison" <jaison@netgalactic.com> wrote in message news:OCDt3caaEHA.4032@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > Hi, > >...

Email with tiny attachments open slow

Need an open house sign in sheet

new user with easy question? not easy for me
this may be very very simple but for some reason i cant understand this. i have many many rows of information, and i would like to calculate the sums of say col 1, col 3, col 5, etc...but for each new row i dont want to have to manually revise each cell to say sum(a1+c1+e1, etc...) and then sum(a2+c2+e2, etc...) for hundreds of rows, this is very tedious. can someone help me? -- speakeztruth ------------------------------------------------------------------------ speakeztruth's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=24028 View this thread: http://www.ex...