Opening a unicode CSV file from Excel

Hi,

I'm currently working on an application that can export data in "CSV"
format, and  then launches Excel to view the CSV data. This works
perfectly ok for ascii data.

However now I have upgraded our application to use Unicode I'm running
into problems. When I export data into a unicode CSV file and launch
excel with it's path on the command line I get a "This is not a
recognized format" message. If the same file is opened manually from
Excel the same error is shown but afterwards the text import wizard is
displayed (which works ok).

Currenly the file is 16 bit encoded and does not contain any
characters that aren't found within the standard western character
set, although in the future we would like to be able to write Japanese
or Russian text to the csv file.

Does anyone know any way to open a Unicode CSV file correctly from
Excel?
Currently I'm using Excel 2000. Does Excel XP work any better?

Chris

I think the problem is that, by definition, CSV format is not Unicode.  So
"Unicode CSV" is an oxymoron.  At least until such time as Excel supports
that format.  It appears that Excel only recognizes tab delimited Unicode
text files.  I don't have a file in your format so I wasn't able to
reproduce the error message you received, but I'd guess that if you changed
the file to some other extension, like maybe TXT, you might not get the
error message but you would still get the text import wizard.

If you send me a small sample file I'll let you know if Excel 2002 or 2003
behave differently.

--
Jim Rech
Excel MVP
"Chris Williamson" <catharticmomentusenet@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
| Hi,
|
| I'm currently working on an application that can export data in "CSV"
| format, and  then launches Excel to view the CSV data. This works
| perfectly ok for ascii data.
|
| However now I have upgraded our application to use Unicode I'm running
| into problems. When I export data into a unicode CSV file and launch
| excel with it's path on the command line I get a "This is not a
| recognized format" message. If the same file is opened manually from
| Excel the same error is shown but afterwards the text import wizard is
| displayed (which works ok).
|
| Currenly the file is 16 bit encoded and does not contain any
| characters that aren't found within the standard western character
| set, although in the future we would like to be able to write Japanese
| or Russian text to the csv file.
|
| Does anyone know any way to open a Unicode CSV file correctly from
| Excel?
| Currently I'm using Excel 2000. Does Excel XP work any better?
|
| Chris

0
jrrech (1933)

excel to get data from an access database
I need excel to get data from an access database similar to vlookup function from an excel table. In order to have only specific records copied to your Excel file, the query needs to include selection criteria (and sort order if necessary). Otherwise, all records get copied and you then need to create lookup formulas or use filters to restrict the set of record. If you are not familiar with Access queries, have someone who is create one for you as a stored query object in the database file. You can then use the Data>Import (Get) External Data and choose the query as your record sour...

What is an addin (in Excel) and how can we create one?
Hi, I want to know what an excel addin is and how to create an excel addin (not the method Save as .xla) for say, to check the occurances of an item. In Col A, several items are listed like item1, item2, item3 etc upto item10. Some items repeat more than once. Can an addin be created to check the no. of occurances of AN item in this list? If so how> Thank You Hi Shajueasow, See: http://www.fontstuff.com/vba/vbatut03.htm for a tutorial. --- Regards, Norman "shajueasow" <shajueasow@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9DC9E994-13FE-4FFA-957E-10...

Publisher 2000

Save as comma csv problems
Hello, I hace Excel 2002. I have near 6000 addresses and contacts and wish to save the xls to a comma csv. I have done that before and then imported the comma csv into my membership program were it says 'import comma csv'. The problem is that some (300 odd) of the records are not imported correctly. I think this maybe because here are some commas in some of the fields eg 24 my street, whatever. Would that be the cause, and if so how can I get rid of all the commas? Many thanks rock I bet it's the way that your membership program works. I'd try this against a copy ...

Problem trying to open old money file

OL 2003 .nk2 file clears on reboot
We have a client machine whose NK2 file is cleared on reboot. We have tried creating deleting the nk2 file to have OL create a new one, created a new OL profile with no luck. When we copied another users nk2 file to his directory and renamed it to his profile the data is picked up, but no new address are stored. outlook writes to the file when it closes - so it seems outlook is not closing correctly. is there a pda or an application using outlook data? if so, close it first. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Need Help with Common Tasks? h...

excel as a database #2
Is there a limit to how many text characters that can go into a cell? Phill Yes 32,767 characters, approx 1,024 visible in the cell -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom (No private emails please, for everyone's benefit keep the discussion in the newsgroup/forum) "Phill" <phill.hudson@btinternet.com> wrote in message news:ccesl0$g3u$1@titan.btinternet.com... > Is there a limit to how many text characters that can go into a cell? > > Phill > > Phill, A cell can hold 32K characters, but only about 1K will be visible. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MV...

opening links in outlook

amalgamating archive files
I have several archive files and I'd like to combine them into a single one. Is there a way to do this? Thanks. Howie ...

Email with tiny attachments open slow

Need an open house sign in sheet

Can excel display text in CHART's data table?
All my text are displayed as "0".......just want to keep some comments nicely in there.Not sure whether excel can do this. Or anybody knows other better way? something like this: para1 1.2 1.3 1.4 para2 1 7 100 comments bad good excellent Hi, The chart data table is very limited in terms of formatting. You would be better using cells to display the information you want. And position the chart above them Cheers Andy -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info "8uv" <8uv@discussions.m...

CSV numeric strings
I'm having a little "fun" creating a CSV file from an ASP page for use with Excel and hope someone here knows of a trick that doesn't involve user intervention. I am familiar with the format of CSV files - strings containing a comma must be enclosed with double quotes, otherwise just separate all the columns with a comma. But ... Excel tries to be smart about things. If a string, quoted or unquoted, contains leading spaces and/or trailing spaces and/or leading zeros and is otherwise numeric (number groupings, decimal points, positive/negative sign, currency sign, and the c...

SheetName (Application.Caller.Parent.Name) Forces Excel to Save File
I have a VBA function in Excel that I have been using for years that will display the sheet name in a cell. The VBA function is as follows: Function SheetName() As String Application.Volatile SheetName = Application.Caller.Parent.Name End Function This works great. However, I have found that if I am using this function if I open a worksheet and not change anything Excel will prompt me if I want to save the worksheet if I have not made any changes. Why is this happening and is there a way to prevent this from happening? Thanks, Mike The problem may be Application.Volitile If ...

cannot open excel file from outlook

opening links

Update complete excel file online
Dear all, Hope you can help me with this problem. An excel file is updated on a daily basis and can only be found on the internet. The basic format of this file is always the same, the only changing aspect is the data. How, or if even possible, could I implement something (e.g. a button?) which automatically implements the updated sheet from the Internet. I am really looking forward to hearing from you. Thanks a lot and best regards, ...

Best file recovery program?
I need a good file recovery program that will run both under Vista and Win 7. It needs to be able to salvage files both deleted and those lost because of disc errors. It also needs to be able to work with both internal and external hard discs, and all flavors of CD and DVD. Any recommendations? Most of the ones that allow you to download a trial have crippled to trial so much that it's really hard to judge them. Incidentally, I ran the free Recuva on a DVD-RW; I started it at 12:30 PM and at 5:30 AM (17 hours later) it showed 89% complete, and at 8:00 it had stopped with th...

using my Money 2005 file on two different computers
I use MS Money 2005 for my personal financle data. My Money file lives on my computer. I want to have my bookkeeper enter data into this file. I want to be able to have her work on the data from her computer which is networked to my computer. We have tried opening the file from her computer over the network with no sucess. We can see the file but the password does not work. We have tried burning the file to a CD but when we try to open the file from her computer we can get the password to work. The same thing that happens when we try to restore a backup on her computer. We tried usi...