Opening a text file

I have 390 MB data text file, i try to open this file with MS Excel only a
part of the file was open. Please help me open this file with MS Excel or MS
Access
Thanks

Khawaja anwar

That is huge. Do you need all the data in one single place and/or at the
same time? What are you going to do with the data ? What does it contain ?

Best wishes Harald

"Khawajaanwar" <Khawajaanwar@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i melding
>I have 390 MB data text file, i try to open this file with MS Excel only a
> part of the file was open. Please help me open this file with MS Excel or
> MS
> Access
> Thanks
>
> Khawaja anwar

0
stf (176)
6/13/2005 7:41:26 AM
Thanks for your quick reply, It dosen't matter whether it is open in a single
file or more, i have to edit these data and the remaing file will much much
shorter.

Thanks once again

Khawaja Anwar

"Harald Staff" wrote:

> That is huge. Do you need all the data in one single place and/or at the
> same time? What are you going to do with the data ? What does it contain ?
>
> Best wishes Harald
>

> "Khawajaanwar" <Khawajaanwar@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i melding
> >I have 390 MB data text file, i try to open this file with MS Excel only a
> > part of the file was open. Please help me open this file with MS Excel or
> > MS
> > Access
> > Thanks
> >
> > Khawaja anwar

Here is a macro that opens the text file and writes new parts with 20000
rows each in it. Those are written to the C:\Temp folder, shange to fit your
needs. You can of course also change 20000 to another number if you want
more / fewer rows in each file.

Sub SplitTextFile()
Dim F As Variant
Dim ToRead As String
Dim ToWrite As String
Dim ReadLine As String
Dim L As Long, M As Long
Dim iOne As Integer
Dim iTwo As Integer

F = Application.GetOpenFilename
If F = False Then Exit Sub

ToRead = CStr(F)
iOne = FreeFile
Open ToRead For Input As #iOne

L = 1

ToWrite = "C:\Temp\Part" & Format$(L, "00000000") & ".txt"
iTwo = FreeFile
Application.StatusBar = "Writing " & ToWrite
Open ToWrite For Output As #iTwo

While Not EOF(iOne)
    Line Input #iOne, ReadLine
    M = M + 1
    If M > 20000 Then
        Close #iTwo
        DoEvents
        L = L + 1
        ToWrite = "C:\Temp\Part" & _
            Format$(L, "00000000") & ".txt"
        Application.StatusBar = "Writing " & ToWrite
        Open ToWrite For Output As #iTwo
        M = 0
    End If
    Print #iTwo, ReadLine
Wend

Close #iOne
Close #iTwo
Application.StatusBar = False
MsgBox L & " parts written"
End Sub

HTH. Best wishes Harald

> Thanks for your quick reply, It dosen't matter whether it is open in a
> single
> file or more, i have to edit these data and the remaing file will much
> much
> shorter.
>
> Thanks once again
>
> Khawaja Anwar
>
> "Harald Staff" wrote:
>
>> That is huge. Do you need all the data in one single place and/or at the
>> same time? What are you going to do with the data ? What does it contain
>> ?
>>
>> Best wishes Harald
>>

>> "Khawajaanwar" <Khawajaanwar@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i melding
>> >I have 390 MB data text file, i try to open this file with MS Excel only
>> > part of the file was open. Please help me open this file with MS Excel
>> > or
>> > MS
>> > Access
>> > Thanks
>> >
>> > Khawaja anwar

0
stf (176)
6/13/2005 10:48:17 AM
To the OP:

Harald gave you the code to split that huge file into pieces that are no bigger
than 20k lines.  If you're going to edit those files, it could take a bit of
time.

I have no idea what you're trying to do, but if you have certain rules that
define what to extract, I bet Harald can incorporate those changes into his code
<bg>.

So if you said you only need the records that contain "xxxxyyyyyzzzz" or start
with "abcdef", then the "editing" could be done for you.

If you're going to get this data into one worksheet in excel, it's got to be
less than 65536 lines, too.  You may want to give a hint on how many rows/line
you're expecting.

--

Dave Peterson
0

Thanks again

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

> [...]
> >         DoEvents
> >         L = L + 1
> >         ToWrite = "C:\Temp\Part" & _
> >             Format$(L, "00000000") & ".txt"
> >         Application.StatusBar = "Writing " & ToWrite
> >         Open ToWrite For Output As #iTwo
> >         M = 0
> >     End If
> >     Print #iTwo, ReadLine
> > Wend
> >
> > Close #iOne
> > Close #iTwo
> > Application.StatusBar = False
> > MsgBox L & " parts written"
> > End Sub
> >
> > HTH. Best wishes Harald
> >
> > "Khawajaanwar" <Khawajaanwar@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i melding
> > > Thanks for your quick reply, It dosen't matter whether it is open in a
> > > single
> > > file or more, i have to edit these data and the remaing file will much

This is impossible to answer detailed enough without knowing the structure
of the huge textfile. But try to open Access and create a new empty database
with the opening wizard. Then go menu
File > Get external data > Import
choose textfile as filetype, point to your enormous file and try to import
it.

This is really not a beginner task. You are given Office and an enormous
textfile without further instructions, and maybe or maybe not someone will
pay his tax if you can solve it ? We should do this, my friend, if only for
the fun of it. Did my previous macro solution make any sense, or is it
unknown territory ?

> I actually working in the tax department in Pakistan, i have to extracts
the
> data where in a column A or B number 26, 12 and 13 are written. Please
> explain in details since i am bigginner and using Microsoff Office XP 2000
or
> is there any way i can open this complete file in MS Access
>
> Thanks again

0
innocent (844)
6/13/2005 6:58:11 PM
Please explain how I wrote Macros in C:\Temp folder since I am a bigginner
and i don't know how to write Macros in C:\Temp folder. My text file name is
"AOP". Please explain in details

"Harald Staff" wrote:

> This is impossible to answer detailed enough without knowing the structure
> of the huge textfile. But try to open Access and create a new empty database
> with the opening wizard. Then go menu
> File > Get external data > Import
> choose textfile as filetype, point to your enormous file and try to import
> it.
>
> This is really not a beginner task. You are given Office and an enormous
> textfile without further instructions, and maybe or maybe not someone will
> pay his tax if you can solve it ? We should do this, my friend, if only for
> the fun of it. Did my previous macro solution make any sense, or is it
> unknown territory ?
>
> Best wishes Harald
>
> "Khawajaanwar" <Khawajaanwar@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i melding
> > I actually working in the tax department in Pakistan, i have to extracts
> the
> > data where in a column A or B number 26, 12 and 13 are written. Please
> > explain in details since i am bigginner and using Microsoff Office XP 2000
> or
> > is there any way i can open this complete file in MS Access
> >
> > Thanks again

A macro is a piece of programming code. The one I sent you will open your
big text file and generate many new smaller ones, each containining 20000
rows from your original file.

To run this, do the following:
Open excel. Open a new blank workbook.
Open the Visual basic Editor (by Alt F11 or by menu Tools > Macro > VB
Editor).
Inside the VB editor, go menu Insert > Module.
You will see a white document now. This is a module. Copy-paste my
programming code into it, starting with the word Sub and ending with the
line End Sub.

Inside this code are two things you must consider:

1 The folder-file specifications to be written. In my code it says twice
 "C:\Temp\Part"
You need a folder C:\Temp on your computer and you must be allowed to write
to it. If not then change this in the code so that it writes to anoether
location than C:\Temp

2 The number 20000 .This is the number of lines in the new textfiles. Change
if 20000 is too many or to few.

Now return to Excel. In its menu Tools > Macro > Run you can start the
macro. When you run it it asks you to open the textfile. Choose your big AOP
textfile in this dialog, or Cancel to abort the macro. The macro will run
for a while, and you will not see anything happening except an indicator
down left in the excel window.

After the macro you can hopefully open the file  "C:\Temp\Part00000001.txt"
and its relatives in Excel.

This was hopefully suffif\cient macro details. Did you try to import the
textfile to Access ? That may be a far better way to solve this.

> Please explain how I wrote Macros in C:\Temp folder since I am a bigginner
> and i don't know how to write Macros in C:\Temp folder. My text file name
> is
> "AOP". Please explain in details
>
> "Harald Staff" wrote:
>
>> This is impossible to answer detailed enough without knowing the
>> structure
>> of the huge textfile. But try to open Access and create a new empty
>> database
>> with the opening wizard. Then go menu
>> File > Get external data > Import
>> choose textfile as filetype, point to your enormous file and try to
>> import
>> it.
>>
>> This is really not a beginner task. You are given Office and an enormous
>> textfile without further instructions, and maybe or maybe not someone
>> will
>> pay his tax if you can solve it ? We should do this, my friend, if only
>> for
>> the fun of it. Did my previous macro solution make any sense, or is it
>> unknown territory ?
>>
>> Best wishes Harald
>>
>> "Khawajaanwar" <Khawajaanwar@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i melding
>> > I actually working in the tax department in Pakistan, i have to
>> > extracts
>> the
>> > data where in a column A or B number 26, 12 and 13 are written. Please
>> > explain in details since i am bigginner and using Microsoff Office XP
>> > 2000
>> or
>> > is there any way i can open this complete file in MS Access
>> >
>> > Thanks again

0
stf (176)

Publisher 2000

Getting text to appear in another cell
Hi, I am using Excel 2003. There maybe a simple solution for this, but being very new to Excel I am struggling a bit and would be grateful for any help. I am developing a horse tracking spreadsheet. What I want to do is create a formula that does the following: If I input "W" into cell, say J6, I want the character "L" to automatically show up in J5 and J7. Likewise, if I input "W" into J5, I would want the character "L" automatically inserted into J6 and J7 and the same goes for a "W" into J7, the character "L" would be automati...

Rebelious Text Box
I have a text box on a form, that its control source is a memo field. I have the Verticle scroll bar selected in the properties, but it still wont become scrollable when the text in the field is more than the view of the text box. How do I spank this box into shape (in other words, what am I missing)? Make sure the internal margins are set to zero. Unless you are using Access 2007, your version may not handle the scrollbars correctly if the internal margins are set. -- Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia Tips for Access users - http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html Reply ...

opening links in outlook

OL 2003 .nk2 file clears on reboot
We have a client machine whose NK2 file is cleared on reboot. We have tried creating deleting the nk2 file to have OL create a new one, created a new OL profile with no luck. When we copied another users nk2 file to his directory and renamed it to his profile the data is picked up, but no new address are stored. outlook writes to the file when it closes - so it seems outlook is not closing correctly. is there a pda or an application using outlook data? if so, close it first. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Need Help with Common Tasks? h...

Problem trying to open old money file

amalgamating archive files
I have several archive files and I'd like to combine them into a single one. Is there a way to do this? Thanks. Howie ...

Email with tiny attachments open slow

Workflow Configuration File is corrupted
Hi There, Workflow manager is not functioning. Error message: Workflow Manager cannot Start. This could be becouse the workflow configuration file is courrupted, or the MS CRM Workflow Service cannot access the configuration file. how and where should we check and the configuration and how to resolve this problem (Do i have to re-install MS CRM???). Your early response will be much appriciated. I am using MS CRM 3.0. Thanking you in advance, Regard, S Dear All, problem has been resolved by following Neil Haffey 's advice. Thanks a lot Neil. Regards, Syed. "SyedAbdulba...

Searchable text field
I have created a work sheet to track what daily tasks my employees do on a job. I have numerous employees, each doing several tasks. I want to have a "Notes" column where I can document any special conditions that may have existed when the work was performed. For example, Al painted a room and Bob installed floor tile. I can document the work tasks, but I need to document if painting was done on a cloudy day or the floor was bumpy. Then, I would like to search the "Notes" column for all work done on a cloudy day, etc. Any suggestions? Thanks, Bill Hi! Defi...

Can excel display text in CHART's data table?
All my text are displayed as "0".......just want to keep some comments nicely in there.Not sure whether excel can do this. Or anybody knows other better way? something like this: para1 1.2 1.3 1.4 para2 1 7 100 comments bad good excellent Hi, The chart data table is very limited in terms of formatting. You would be better using cells to display the information you want. And position the chart above them Cheers Andy -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info "8uv" <8uv@discussions.m...

Need an open house sign in sheet

SheetName (Application.Caller.Parent.Name) Forces Excel to Save File
I have a VBA function in Excel that I have been using for years that will display the sheet name in a cell. The VBA function is as follows: Function SheetName() As String Application.Volatile SheetName = Application.Caller.Parent.Name End Function This works great. However, I have found that if I am using this function if I open a worksheet and not change anything Excel will prompt me if I want to save the worksheet if I have not made any changes. Why is this happening and is there a way to prevent this from happening? Thanks, Mike The problem may be Application.Volitile If ...

Update complete excel file online
Dear all, Hope you can help me with this problem. An excel file is updated on a daily basis and can only be found on the internet. The basic format of this file is always the same, the only changing aspect is the data. How, or if even possible, could I implement something (e.g. a button?) which automatically implements the updated sheet from the Internet. I am really looking forward to hearing from you. Thanks a lot and best regards, ...

cannot open excel file from outlook

opening links

using my Money 2005 file on two different computers
I use MS Money 2005 for my personal financle data. My Money file lives on my computer. I want to have my bookkeeper enter data into this file. I want to be able to have her work on the data from her computer which is networked to my computer. We have tried opening the file from her computer over the network with no sucess. We can see the file but the password does not work. We have tried burning the file to a CD but when we try to open the file from her computer we can get the password to work. The same thing that happens when we try to restore a backup on her computer. We tried usi...

Best file recovery program?
I need a good file recovery program that will run both under Vista and Win 7. It needs to be able to salvage files both deleted and those lost because of disc errors. It also needs to be able to work with both internal and external hard discs, and all flavors of CD and DVD. Any recommendations? Most of the ones that allow you to download a trial have crippled to trial so much that it's really hard to judge them. Incidentally, I ran the free Recuva on a DVD-RW; I started it at 12:30 PM and at 5:30 AM (17 hours later) it showed 89% complete, and at 8:00 it had stopped with th...

add perspective effect to text
can I add aperspective effect to curved text? There are WordArt features that may suit your needs. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] ~~~~~ How to ask a question http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375 "meinstone" <meinstone@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:90C7516F-1B23-40AE-A929-910AC655CBF3@microsoft.com... > can I add aperspective effect to curved text? What version? Having asked that, it's usually done using WordArt. "meinstone" <meinstone@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:90C7516F-1B23-40AE-A929-91...