Open Office #3

I have several OpenOffice.org files that I would like to open in Excel since
we no longer use OpenOffice. Is there a converter somewhere?
0
scott7693 (519)

Hi

The converter is OpenOffice. Choose "excel" as filetype in its SaveAs menu.
As far as I know there is no easier way, but if you know how to program
OpenOffice macros then it should be pretty painless.

HTH. Best wishes Harald

"Scott" <Scott@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i melding
> I have several OpenOffice.org files that I would like to open in Excel
since
> we no longer use OpenOffice. Is there a converter somewhere?

0
stf (176)
3/31/2005 7:24:03 AM
Thanks but the problem is that all of the Open Office applications have been
removed from all our computers as part of our Microsoft Agreement. While it
may be possible to reinstall Open Office, that doesn't solve the problem.
Doing that means that, Open Office must stay installed until everyone is sure
they have converted all their Open Office documents.

I need a way for Excel to open *.sxc files directly.

"Harald Staff" wrote:

> Hi
>
> The converter is OpenOffice. Choose "excel" as filetype in its SaveAs menu.
> As far as I know there is no easier way, but if you know how to program
> OpenOffice macros then it should be pretty painless.
>
> HTH. Best wishes Harald
>
> "Scott" <Scott@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i melding
> > I have several OpenOffice.org files that I would like to open in Excel
> since
> > we no longer use OpenOffice. Is there a converter somewhere?

0
scott7693 (519)
3/31/2005 12:21:02 PM
Thing is: OpenOffice will work with Excel.
Excel will not work with OpenOffice.
Excel will not even work with Microsoft Works, go figure.

So yes, OpenOffice is needed, either on every single system or on a
"converting service" computer dedicated for this. What you need does not
exist as far as I know, and someone should have considered before this
brutal change of platform. (IT department engineers, I assume ? Special
characters here)

> Thanks but the problem is that all of the Open Office applications have
been
> removed from all our computers as part of our Microsoft Agreement. While
it
> may be possible to reinstall Open Office, that doesn't solve the problem.
> Doing that means that, Open Office must stay installed until everyone is
sure
> they have converted all their Open Office documents.
>
> I need a way for Excel to open *.sxc files directly.
>
> "Harald Staff" wrote:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > The converter is OpenOffice. Choose "excel" as filetype in its SaveAs
menu.
> > As far as I know there is no easier way, but if you know how to program
> > OpenOffice macros then it should be pretty painless.
> >
> > HTH. Best wishes Harald
> >
> > "Scott" <Scott@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i melding
> > > I have several OpenOffice.org files that I would like to open in Excel
> > since
> > > we no longer use OpenOffice. Is there a converter somewhere?

0
innocent (844)
3/31/2005 10:39:38 PM
Scott wrote...
>I need a way for Excel to open *.sxc files directly.

Then wait until Microsoft supports that file format. There's a remote
chance your business might survive that long.

If you're contracturally barred from reinstalling OpenOffice, then
maybe you could install Gnumeric. It's only in beta for Windows, but
it's fairly stable. You can download the installed from

http://www.gnome.org/~jody/gnumeric/win32/gnumeric-1.4.3-rc1.exe

But OpenOffice and Gnumeric are your **ONLY** alternatives under
Windows. Maybe KSpread, Xess and NeXS (the other serious Unix/Linux
spreadsheets) can also read .sxc files, dunno.

Microsoft doesn't support any file formats from any competitors that
appeared after they released Excel 97. If you want to use Excel and
only Excel, then you get to recreate all these workbooks from hardcopy,
assuming you have printouts of each of them, or from scratch. And, YES,
you do need to have at least one copy of either OpenOffice or Gnumeric
installed on one of your PCs until you're certain *ALL* .sxc files have
been converted to .xls files. Whether you dislike this state of affairs
is irrelevant.

0
hrlngrv (1990)
3/31/2005 11:21:29 PM
Harald Staff shared this with us in microsoft.public.excel.misc:

> Thing is: OpenOffice will work with Excel.
> Excel will not work with OpenOffice.
> Excel will not even work with Microsoft Works, go figure.
>
> So yes, OpenOffice is needed, either on every single system or on a
> "converting service" computer dedicated for this. What you need does
> not exist as far as I know, and someone should have considered before
> this brutal change of platform. (IT department engineers, I assume ?
> Special characters here)
>
> HTH. Best wishes Harald
>
> "Scott" <Scott@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i melding
> > Thanks but the problem is that all of the Open Office applications
> > have
> been
> > removed from all our computers as part of our Microsoft Agreement.
> > While
> it
> > may be possible to reinstall Open Office, that doesn't solve the
> > problem.  Doing that means that, Open Office must stay installed
> > until everyone is
> sure
> > they have converted all their Open Office documents.
> >
> > I need a way for Excel to open *.sxc files directly.
> >
> > "Harald Staff" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > The converter is OpenOffice. Choose "excel" as filetype in its
> > > SaveAs
> menu.
> > > As far as I know there is no easier way, but if you know how to
> > > program OpenOffice macros then it should be pretty painless.
> > >
> > > HTH. Best wishes Harald
> > >
> > > "Scott" <Scott@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i melding
> > > since

I stumbled upon this thread. My first reaction when reading this:
<unspeakable characters>, indeed Harald. This is what is generally
known as vendor lock-in.
ObLeftpondianBashing: I'm so lucky I live in Rightpondia, because only
Merkians would let themselves be fouled[0] this way.

[0] intentional spelling error

--
Amedee Van Gasse using XanaNews 1.17.3.1
If it has an "X" in the name, it must be Linux?

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
How to Report Bugs Effectively
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no" as the
answer.
http://homepages.tesco.net/~J.deBoynePollard/FGA/questions-with-yes-or-n
o-answers.html

Outlook Calander #3
Does anybody know if there is a way to have Outlooks calendar display the month with "full squares" for Sat and Sun just like other days of the week in the month display mode. I have a lot going on the weekends. Having Sat/Sun as one "square" makes it difficult to read. I cannot see any way to do this from the buttons menu. I am using Office Outlook 2003. Thanks in advance right click on the calendar and choose other settings - untick the compress weekend days option. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNo...

Publisher 2000

Problem trying to open old money file

How do you enable Out of Office replies to go out of office?
I have tried ESM/Global Settings/Internet Message Format/Default/Properties/Advanced tab Exchange rich-text format: Determined by individual user settings Message text word wrap: never use ENABLED Allow out of office responses ENABLED Allow automatic replies ENABLED Allow automatic forward ENABLED Allow delivery reports ENABLED Allow non-delivery reports ENABLED Preserve sender's display name on message Out of office responses still go in-house only. Please help. Stop and start the SMTP service and the MTA. Worst case scenario is that you will have to stop and start all of the...

opening links in outlook

Office X 10.1.2 Update Failed
I'm new to the Mac OS X although pretty experienced with Windows XP and Office. When I try to update my original install of Office X, I get error message 11002:2,-14. I read the Read Me and troubleshooting section, turned off the virus protection and removed the Microsoft Office Plugin file as directed in the troubleshooting. None of this helped. I noticed (remember I'm new to Macs) I can move a copy of the Microsoft Office X directory to another hard drive, and clicking on Entrouage or any program opens it just fine (including all the mail). Of course, that would be impossible in...

Email with tiny attachments open slow

office prof 2003 upgrade
I have microsoft works 9 installed. When I try to use my Office Prof 2003 upgrade it will not recognize the office works 9 as a valid upgrade program. How can I get the upgrade to work? I cannot find any hints within the MS website. Thanks for your help! Andrew wrote: >I have microsoft works 9 installed. When I try to use my Office Prof 2003 >upgrade it will not recognize the office works 9 as a valid upgrade program. >How can I get the upgrade to work? I cannot find any hints within the MS >website. Thanks for your help! > > You may need this patc...

Public Folders #3
Hi there- We've just implemented Microsoft Outlook as our new e- mail client, and I've been working a bit with Public Folders. I posted several messages with attachments last week, and they were accessible for about a week, then mysteriously disappeared. Is there a time limit or usage limit determining how long a posted message stays available? Thanks for any responses! ...

Creating PDF No Longer Works in Any Office Product
I'm not sure when things stopped working. I have MSO 2003 and Windows 2007. When I hit the PDF button in Excel, it starts going through the PDF motions but then Excel locks up and stops responding. In Word, the screen blinks a few times and then just goes back to Word without making the PDF. This is getting frustrating, any ideas? Try this first if you use Excel 2007 Run Office Diagnostics. Office Button>Excel Options...Resources -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm "Mark" <Mark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in ...

OFFICE 2003 02-12-10
ALL OF A SUDDEN I WAS NOT ABLE TO OPEN EXCEL ANYMORE. INSTEAD OF OPENING THE PROGRAM, IT WENT TO WINDOWS INSTALLER AND JUST STOPPED.I REMOVED OFFICE 2003 FROM THE HARDDRIVE AND THEN REINSTALLED IT FROM THE DISK. HOWEVER, I AM GETTING THE ERROR MESSAGE: "ERROR 1304 - ERROR WRITING TO FILE: C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT OFFICE\OFFICEII\1033\XLINTL32.DLL VERIFY THAT YOU HAVE ACCESS TO THAT DIRECTORY " i WAS ABLE TO INSTALL "WORD" AND "OUTLOOCK" SEPARASTE;Y. BUT WHENEVER I TRY TO INSTALL "EXCEL" I GET THE SAME ERROR MESSAGE. WHAT CAN I DO TO...

Need an open house sign in sheet

opening links

cannot open excel file from outlook

Problem with office web components
Hi, I have problem with office web components. I use PivotTable and ChartSpace objects. Into PivotTable I have four columns and ChartSpace is connect to PivotTable. (myChartSpace.DataSource = myPivotTable) When I run the application PivotTable shows columns. Chart shows SeriesCollection of this columns. I want to show only two of four columns in Chart. I try to delete SeriesCollection. myChartSpace.Chart(0).SeriesCollection.Delete(2); myChartSpace.Chart(0).SeriesCollection.Delete(3); But this doesn`t work. I dont know if is this possible, when is ChartSpace connect to PivotTable. Whe...

Error while import BCM Database into CRM 3.0
I am trying to import BCM Database into CRM 3.0 When I run " Data Migration for Microsoft Outlook Business Contact Manager" wizard I get an unexpected error. Can someone help ? thanks Here is the Log: 8/21/2007 5:15:38 PM------>Transitioning to next screen. From: Welcome screen. To: PreconditionCheck screen. 8/21/2007 5:15:38 PM------>Connecting to Microsoft CRM Shamir_Systems_MSCRM 8/21/2007 5:15:39 PM------>Checking that Microsoft CRM Data Migration Pack is installed: Success 8/21/2007 5:15:39 PM------>Establishing connection to CDF database: Success 8/21/2007 5:1...

EXCEL Files open Slow

Opening a second mdb file from an open mdb file
I have two mdb files (one used for general department use and the other for detailed reporting). For ease of maintenance, I'd like to keep these mdb files separate, but I would like to have the ability to open the second mdb file from the general dept Access program. Is there an exisitng macro or VBA code I could use to accomplish this task? Thanks for your help. Sure, you can easily just shell out to another app: http://www.mvps.org/access/api/api0018.htm or even create a hyperlink that opens the file. Just create a label, go to the property sheet and enter a path in the hype...

Directory Open
Hi, I would like to create a Button which opens a dialog box, not to open a file but to open a directory. How should I do it? I thought of using CFileDialog but it does not allow for opening just a directory and not a file. I just want to read in the user selection of directory and the file name will be set in my application. Thanks! On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 22:15:36 -0800, Dave wrote: > I would like to create a Button which opens a dialog box, > not to open a file but to open a directory. > > How should I do it? > I thought of using CFileDialog but it does not allow for ...