Open Office #2

Can anyone advise how they've found Open Office and whether it is worth
using, particularly for Excel applications?
Rob

"rob nobel" <robnobel@dodoNOGOOBS.com.auNOGOOBS> wrote...
>Can anyone advise how they've found Open Office and whether it is worth
>using, particularly for Excel applications?

Depends on what you're trying to do. OO Calc's array handling is much weaker
than Excel's, so many (possibly most) of the trickier array formulas given
in these Excel ngs won't work in OO Calc. But most of the other techniques
work.

OO Calc provides only 32,000 rows per worksheet, and it lacks a few
functions Excel provides (CELL for one). Its help facility is weak compared
to Excel, 123 and Quattro Pro.

There are a few things OO Calc has that Excel lacks. The BASE function does
one heck of a lot more than the toy DEC2* and *2DEC functions. The FORMULA
and ISFORMULA functions provide access to cell formula contents and whether
a cell contains a formula - perhaps not frequently asked about, but reliably
generating a few questions a month in these newsgroups.

OO Calc provides 3D worksheet addressing (but neither 3D INDEX nor OFFSET),
so if worksheets were in the order A, B, C and D, and cell F5 in worksheet B
referred to cell G3 of worksheet A (syntax: =A.G3), then copying cell F5 in
worksheet B and pasting into cell H4 of worksheet C would give a reference
to cell I2 in worksheet B (i.e., =B.I2). INDIRECT can return 3D references,
which are not ranges, so =SUM(INDIRECT("A.A1:D.F8")) is effectively the same
as =SUM(A.A1:D.F8), but =COUNTIF(INDIRECT("A.A1:D.F8");">1") returns a
reference error.

OO Calc also provides external reference links via its DDE function rather
than Excel's DDE-like hardcoded expressions. This makes OO Calc a just bit
more flexible. OO Calc also provides regular expression support in Find &
Replace and its SEARCH function.

One EXTREMELY nice feature is that OO Calc ALWAYS displays its Text Import
dialog when opening any text file, including CSV files.

OO Calc fits somewhere between Works Spreadsheet and Excel, closer to Excel
but with some annoying deficiencies. If you believe in the 80/20 rule - 80%
of users take advantage of 20% of features - OO Calc is more than adequate
most of the time.

0
hrlngrv (1990)
1/14/2004 6:16:14 AM
Well, that's certainly more than I expected.  Thanks for all that info
Harlan.
I gather from your comments that it might be better to stay with Excel and
use it sparingly if there are other functions that may be of use.
Rob

"Harlan Grove" <hrlngrv@aol.com> wrote in message
> "rob nobel" <robnobel@dodoNOGOOBS.com.auNOGOOBS> wrote...
> >Can anyone advise how they've found Open Office and whether it is worth
> >using, particularly for Excel applications?
>
> Depends on what you're trying to do. OO Calc's array handling is much
weaker
> than Excel's, so many (possibly most) of the trickier array formulas given
> in these Excel ngs won't work in OO Calc. But most of the other techniques
> work.
>
> OO Calc provides only 32,000 rows per worksheet, and it lacks a few
> functions Excel provides (CELL for one). Its help facility is weak
compared
> to Excel, 123 and Quattro Pro.
>
> There are a few things OO Calc has that Excel lacks. The BASE function
does
> one heck of a lot more than the toy DEC2* and *2DEC functions. The FORMULA
> and ISFORMULA functions provide access to cell formula contents and
whether
> a cell contains a formula - perhaps not frequently asked about, but
reliably
> generating a few questions a month in these newsgroups.
>
> OO Calc provides 3D worksheet addressing (but neither 3D INDEX nor
OFFSET),
> so if worksheets were in the order A, B, C and D, and cell F5 in worksheet
> referred to cell G3 of worksheet A (syntax: =A.G3), then copying cell F5
in
> worksheet B and pasting into cell H4 of worksheet C would give a reference
> to cell I2 in worksheet B (i.e., =B.I2). INDIRECT can return 3D
references,
> which are not ranges, so =SUM(INDIRECT("A.A1:D.F8")) is effectively the
same
> as =SUM(A.A1:D.F8), but =COUNTIF(INDIRECT("A.A1:D.F8");">1") returns a
> reference error.
>
> OO Calc also provides external reference links via its DDE function rather
> than Excel's DDE-like hardcoded expressions. This makes OO Calc a just bit
> more flexible. OO Calc also provides regular expression support in Find &
> Replace and its SEARCH function.
>
> One EXTREMELY nice feature is that OO Calc ALWAYS displays its Text Import
> dialog when opening any text file, including CSV files.
>
> OO Calc fits somewhere between Works Spreadsheet and Excel, closer to
Excel
> but with some annoying deficiencies. If you believe in the 80/20 rule -
80%
> of users take advantage of 20% of features - OO Calc is more than adequate
> most of the time.

Publisher 2000

Problem trying to open old money file

trying to get sheet 1 to recognize and move student names to pg 2
Sheet 1 contains students names in column A in ascending order, columns b thru k are columns which grading numbers of either 1 point or 2 points, column l is the total points of colums b thru k. Sheet 2 contains 5 columns , column a is 17 to 20 points, column b is 13 to 16 points, column c is 9 to 12 points, 5 to 8 points, column d is 5 to 8 points and column e is 0 to 4 points. I need sheet 1 column L to recognize sheet 2 and move the students name from column A in that row to the graph on sheet 2 according to the point system Is this one-time operation? You have only 5 c...

How do you enable Out of Office replies to go out of office?
I have tried ESM/Global Settings/Internet Message Format/Default/Properties/Advanced tab Exchange rich-text format: Determined by individual user settings Message text word wrap: never use ENABLED Allow out of office responses ENABLED Allow automatic replies ENABLED Allow automatic forward ENABLED Allow delivery reports ENABLED Allow non-delivery reports ENABLED Preserve sender's display name on message Out of office responses still go in-house only. Please help. Stop and start the SMTP service and the MTA. Worst case scenario is that you will have to stop and start all of the...

opening links in outlook

excel as a database #2
Is there a limit to how many text characters that can go into a cell? Phill Yes 32,767 characters, approx 1,024 visible in the cell -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom (No private emails please, for everyone's benefit keep the discussion in the newsgroup/forum) "Phill" <phill.hudson@btinternet.com> wrote in message news:ccesl0$g3u$1@titan.btinternet.com... > Is there a limit to how many text characters that can go into a cell? > > Phill > > Phill, A cell can hold 32K characters, but only about 1K will be visible. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MV...

Email with tiny attachments open slow

Office X 10.1.2 Update Failed
I'm new to the Mac OS X although pretty experienced with Windows XP and Office. When I try to update my original install of Office X, I get error message 11002:2,-14. I read the Read Me and troubleshooting section, turned off the virus protection and removed the Microsoft Office Plugin file as directed in the troubleshooting. None of this helped. I noticed (remember I'm new to Macs) I can move a copy of the Microsoft Office X directory to another hard drive, and clicking on Entrouage or any program opens it just fine (including all the mail). Of course, that would be impossible in...

linking data #2
I need to fill a table on one sheet with data from another sheet. The data is the sum of totals from a range of sub-tables. What I require is a function that will sequentially fill a colum on one sheet by gathering every 15th value from the data column on another sheet. Thanks This will pick up A1, A16, A31, A46, ... =INDEX(Sheet1!A:A,(ROW()-1)*15+1) Dragged down. But this would seem pretty dangerous to me. If you insert/delete rows, won't everything go south pretty fast? Since you're working with subtotals, maybe using data|pivottable would be better. If you want to read mor...

2 Exchange servers
I have 2 Exchange servers, not clustered. One of them does not have any mounted mailboxes but is on and the two servers see each other. The second server is for Disaster Recovery, and will have the mailboxes mounted in case of a disaster. I have 2 questions: First - For some reason, some users occasionally get a message in outlook that they are retrieving information from this second Exchage server. Why is that? Second - If I am going to test out this Disaster Recovery server, is there anything that I need to change in AD to "activate" that server or anything? Thanks, Dylan. ...

office prof 2003 upgrade
I have microsoft works 9 installed. When I try to use my Office Prof 2003 upgrade it will not recognize the office works 9 as a valid upgrade program. How can I get the upgrade to work? I cannot find any hints within the MS website. Thanks for your help! Andrew wrote: >I have microsoft works 9 installed. When I try to use my Office Prof 2003 >upgrade it will not recognize the office works 9 as a valid upgrade program. >How can I get the upgrade to work? I cannot find any hints within the MS >website. Thanks for your help! > > You may need this patc...

Windows Vista and RMS 2.0
Has anyone upgraded to Vista using RMS 2.0? Any pros/cons on duing this. I'm running it on my laptop without issues. But this is just for demos and research. Have not intalled it in production yet "Bill Fry" <BillFry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F1D4E574-5383-45D8-8E44-F7BEAFDC0424@microsoft.com... > Has anyone upgraded to Vista using RMS 2.0? Any pros/cons on duing this. The Lack of non existant thermal printer drivers, for 1 "Bill Fry" <BillFry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F1D4E574-5383-45D8-8E44-F...

Error Message #2
Ever since I bought my Dell laptop, I seem to have a problem with MS Outlook 2002 operating with Windows XP. My computer freezes and then when I try to reboot and open Outlook, there is a long delay and ultimately I get a "Non Reponding" at the top of my screen next to "Microsoft Outlook". I don't know why this happens. I reboot my computer at least a dozen times. Sometimes, I am asked to "Detect and Repair" and it still doesn't go back to normal. Other times, I'm asked to view in "Safe Mode". Has anyone had experience with this prob...

Count rows that match criteria in 2 different column cell ranges
I have a spreadsheet that lists all customer orders for the year - each order is a row. I need to count the number of orders per customer per month. I'm having trouble figuring out what formula to use to count the number of rows in which the customer column (a range named "customer") = "xxx" and the month column (a range named "month") = 1 (for January). I've tried several combinations of things and keep getting errors. I've tried ROWS, COUNTIF, IF with COUNTIFs and/or ROWS, etc. to the point that I'm thoroughly confused. I'm sure th...

Need an open house sign in sheet

OFFICE 2003 02-12-10
ALL OF A SUDDEN I WAS NOT ABLE TO OPEN EXCEL ANYMORE. INSTEAD OF OPENING THE PROGRAM, IT WENT TO WINDOWS INSTALLER AND JUST STOPPED.I REMOVED OFFICE 2003 FROM THE HARDDRIVE AND THEN REINSTALLED IT FROM THE DISK. HOWEVER, I AM GETTING THE ERROR MESSAGE: "ERROR 1304 - ERROR WRITING TO FILE: C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT OFFICE\OFFICEII\1033\XLINTL32.DLL VERIFY THAT YOU HAVE ACCESS TO THAT DIRECTORY " i WAS ABLE TO INSTALL "WORD" AND "OUTLOOCK" SEPARASTE;Y. BUT WHENEVER I TRY TO INSTALL "EXCEL" I GET THE SAME ERROR MESSAGE. WHAT CAN I DO TO...

Creating PDF No Longer Works in Any Office Product
I'm not sure when things stopped working. I have MSO 2003 and Windows 2007. When I hit the PDF button in Excel, it starts going through the PDF motions but then Excel locks up and stops responding. In Word, the screen blinks a few times and then just goes back to Word without making the PDF. This is getting frustrating, any ideas? Try this first if you use Excel 2007 Run Office Diagnostics. Office Button>Excel Options...Resources -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm "Mark" <Mark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in ...

cannot open excel file from outlook

opening links

Problem with office web components
Hi, I have problem with office web components. I use PivotTable and ChartSpace objects. Into PivotTable I have four columns and ChartSpace is connect to PivotTable. (myChartSpace.DataSource = myPivotTable) When I run the application PivotTable shows columns. Chart shows SeriesCollection of this columns. I want to show only two of four columns in Chart. I try to delete SeriesCollection. myChartSpace.Chart(0).SeriesCollection.Delete(2); myChartSpace.Chart(0).SeriesCollection.Delete(3); But this doesn`t work. I dont know if is this possible, when is ChartSpace connect to PivotTable. Whe...

range checking #2
hi i have a worksheet with a lot of data on it column A contains the date column B contains an area column C contains the fault column D contain a quantity A B C D 1/4/04 stores damaged 10 7/4/04 bins rust 60 what i want to do is return quantity for a date range(one week) that is both damaged and in the stores or any other combination there are 10 areas and 12 faults plus 52 weeks this is a lot of formulas anyone got any ideas how i can ...