Open Excel in New Instance

I hate the way Excel opens spreadsheets you double-click
in Explorer in the same instance of Excel that is
currently running.  I want to change it so that it always
opens a new instance of Excel.  It's just to easy to lose
data because of this innane configuration.

If this is a FAQ then I'm sorry.  I have spent a good deal
of time searching Microsoft's web sites and googling for
the answer with no luck.  All I have found are other
people who have complained about this problem without
having any resolution.

Thanks,

Sean
0
anonymous (74722)

>It's just to easy to lose
>data because of this innane configuration.

Agreed.  Had this happen several times myself.  What I did
to get around it was go into "My Computer" and
select "Folder Options" from the "Tools" menu.  Click
on "File Types" and select the "XLS" extension.  Click
on "Advanced", then "Open" then "Edit".  Uncheck the "Use
DDE" option and put %1 ad the end of the command line.  Be
sure to put the %1 in quotes, otherwise excel will
misinterpret spaces in the path and filename.

Hope that helps.
0
anonymous (74722)
6/18/2004 3:41:40 PM
Dear Sean

With Excel open, go to the tools menu and select
<Options>. on the <View> tab look in the <show> area and
tick <Windows in taskbar>

That should do the trick.

Have a good weekend.

Paul Falla

0
paul_falla (99)
6/18/2004 3:59:29 PM
Thanks Paul:

Unfortunately that doesn't work.  It lists each Excel
spreadsheet in the taskbar but runs them all under one
instance.  If you press "Alt-F4" or close the window with
the "X" at the far upper right it will close all open
sheets.

This isn't the behavior of Word or most other apps so it
is very easy to lose data if you do this and accidently
click the "No" when prompted about saving data thinking
that the prompt is for the sheet had focus on.

The trick John mentions does it.  It launches each
spreadsheet you double click on from explorer or My
Computer in its own instance.

Thanks,

Sean

0
anonymous (74722)
6/18/2004 6:23:16 PM
Strange behaviour....

I open 4 workbooks in one instance of Excel.

Make changes to each.

Hit ALT + F4 or the "X" to close and I am asked to individually confirm
changes made to each workbook.

I cannot "NO" them all at one go.

"Yes to all" to save changes in an option you could use.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 11:23:16 -0700, <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>Thanks Paul:
>
>Unfortunately that doesn't work.  It lists each Excel
>spreadsheet in the taskbar but runs them all under one
>instance.  If you press "Alt-F4" or close the window with
>the "X" at the far upper right it will close all open
>sheets.
>
>This isn't the behavior of Word or most other apps so it
>is very easy to lose data if you do this and accidently
>click the "No" when prompted about saving data thinking
>that the prompt is for the sheet had focus on.
>
>The trick John mentions does it.  It launches each
>spreadsheet you double click on from explorer or My
>Computer in its own instance.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Sean

0
Gord
6/19/2004 12:52:21 AM
I'm guessing that the OP's workbooks weren't dirty (already saved or no
changes).

As an aside:
shiftclick on No and you can answer No all at once.

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com
On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 19:57:34 -0500, Dave Peterson <ec35720@msn.com> wrote:

>I'm guessing that the OP's workbooks weren't dirty (already saved or no
>changes).

In that case there would be no loss of data or alterations, so should pose no
problem to OP

>As an aside:
>shiftclick on No and you can answer No all at once.

Cool trick.

Gord

>Gord Dibben wrote:
>>
>> Strange behaviour....
>>
>> I open 4 workbooks in one instance of Excel.
>>
>> Make changes to each.
>>
>> Hit ALT + F4 or the "X" to close and I am asked to individually confirm
>> changes made to each workbook.
>>
>> I cannot "NO" them all at one go.
>>
>> "Yes to all" to save changes in an option you could use.
>>
>> Gord Dibben Excel MVP
>>
>> On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 11:23:16 -0700, <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >Thanks Paul:
>> >
>> >Unfortunately that doesn't work.  It lists each Excel
>> >spreadsheet in the taskbar but runs them all under one
>> >instance.  If you press "Alt-F4" or close the window with
>> >the "X" at the far upper right it will close all open
>> >sheets.
>> >
>> >This isn't the behavior of Word or most other apps so it
>> >is very easy to lose data if you do this and accidently
>> >click the "No" when prompted about saving data thinking
>> >that the prompt is for the sheet had focus on.
>> >
>> >The trick John mentions does it.  It launches each
>> >spreadsheet you double click on from explorer or My
>> >Computer in its own instance.
>> >
>> >Thanks,
>> >
>> >Sean

0
Gord
6/19/2004 3:07:07 PM
It would be a problem to me if I wasn't ready to close the workbook.

But it wouldn't be a disaster--just an irritation.

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

excel to get data from an access database
I need excel to get data from an access database similar to vlookup function from an excel table. In order to have only specific records copied to your Excel file, the query needs to include selection criteria (and sort order if necessary). Otherwise, all records get copied and you then need to create lookup formulas or use filters to restrict the set of record. If you are not familiar with Access queries, have someone who is create one for you as a stored query object in the database file. You can then use the Data>Import (Get) External Data and choose the query as your record sour...

How to create/embed table or existing Excel spreadsheet into Lotus Notes 6.5 email
I have been successful in creating and sending an email through Lotus Notes. However, I need to be able to format the body so that the message is more presentable. Currently, I filter a spreadsheet based on two named ranges and send an email to the SOX audit team member and copy the SOX control owner. I copy the values from selected columns on the visible rows and separate those values by tabs. However, the presentation is bad as the data is variable in length and therefore the alignment is not correct. I would like to learn how to create/embed either a table into the Lotus Notes email bo...

Office 07 Excel chart title position
I want my chart title to be positioned above the chart /plot area, can't do it. "above the chart" does not position the title above the chart, it leaves exactly where "centered overlay title" put it. Help please (& thank you) An option would be to use worksheet cells to add your title rather than using the chart itself. Using worksheet cells positioned directly over the top of your chart would allow you to control the title location as well as expand the area available for the plot. -- John Mansfield cellmatrix.net "Eve Allen" wrote: > I w...

Problem with Excel 2003 restricting functionality
I have MS Excel 2003 installed on my computer. When I open a new workbook and click on any cell, the pointer goes to a white cross or plus symbol. Then I am unable to do anything. I can move the mouse anywhere on the sheet and it highlights the cells that the pointer has gone over as if I am selecting a range/group of cells such as you would if you were going to delete them or clear contents. I try to right click and nothing happens. I move the pointer over the tool bar, it does nothing. I hit <ESC> and still nothing. The only thing that does anything is going into the task manage...

Exporting to Excel
My Access 2002's export interface (ISAM) seems to be associated with earlier versions of Excel and limits the numbers of rows that can be exported to 16,000. How do I fix it so that I can export more rows? Among the less technical ideas, you might first confirm that all current updates and Export filters have been installed. AFAIK, Access '02 should be able to export more than 16,000 records if the appropriate filters are available... unless you mean that an older Excel format must be used. You might also consider exporting as a text file & then importing that to Excel as ...

New Certificate problems
Our scenario We have been running with SBS 2003 for several years and our Certificate is pop3.olddomainname.co.uk (where our old domain name is now changing) For one reason or another, we've never got it qualified to DNS,, and with only 2 of us accessing OWA, we just use https://<external_IP>/exchange and our PDA's could get email OK on the move. Now, we have built a linux box to run the support part of our website, we have a new external domain, so we got support.newdomainname.co.uk added to DNS We need the PDA/iPhone to use SSL so that they and OWA use the 443 po...

What is an addin (in Excel) and how can we create one?
Hi, I want to know what an excel addin is and how to create an excel addin (not the method Save as .xla) for say, to check the occurances of an item. In Col A, several items are listed like item1, item2, item3 etc upto item10. Some items repeat more than once. Can an addin be created to check the no. of occurances of AN item in this list? If so how> Thank You Hi Shajueasow, See: http://www.fontstuff.com/vba/vbatut03.htm for a tutorial. --- Regards, Norman "shajueasow" <shajueasow@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9DC9E994-13FE-4FFA-957E-10...

Excel 2000 question.
Hello, Group: I am looking to run a macro that pauses for input. For example to bend metal, I would like to have the macro ask for number of bends, then continue in the computation. Thanks, --tj Dim numBends As Long On Error Resume Next numBends = InputBox("Number of bends") On Error GoTo 0 If numBends > 0 Then 'rest of code End If -- __________________________________ HTH Bob <techjohnny@gmail.com> wrote in message news:66a3c982-1496-4d73-8284-0a630e498706@l42g2000hsc.googlegroups.com... > Hello, Group: > > I am looking ...

Publisher 2000

opening links in outlook

excel as a database #2
Is there a limit to how many text characters that can go into a cell? Phill Yes 32,767 characters, approx 1,024 visible in the cell -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom (No private emails please, for everyone's benefit keep the discussion in the newsgroup/forum) "Phill" <phill.hudson@btinternet.com> wrote in message news:ccesl0$g3u$1@titan.btinternet.com... > Is there a limit to how many text characters that can go into a cell? > > Phill > > Phill, A cell can hold 32K characters, but only about 1K will be visible. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MV...

Problem trying to open old money file

Adding a new Interface in MS CRM
Hi, I don't want to use the "Add Lead" form to create a lead. I have developed my own page for this using the MS CRM APIs. But I have to change the linked page of "Leads" link in the left menu ( Sales) and point to my custom page. How can I do this? Thanks, -Jaison Well this is a little different as you will have to recreate the outer shell of CRM. We did this using the ASP.NET controls from Infragistics for one of our clients. Sean "Jaison" <jaison@netgalactic.com> wrote in message news:OCDt3caaEHA.4032@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > Hi, > >...

Email with tiny attachments open slow

Need an open house sign in sheet

Outlook Connector move to new pc 03-10-10
Hello I've been using outlook connector for hotmail with outlook 2007, and now I got a new PC and don't want to sync everything all over, OST file is 900MB so that's a lot of download time I configured my email again on the new PC and that created a new OST file and the common sense to do is to replace the new file with my old one and things should work, but that didn't happen I know I can move all the emails to a PST and import that but then I'll end up with duplicates since outlook connector will sync them again anyway Is there any way to move an old OST fil...

new user with easy question? not easy for me
this may be very very simple but for some reason i cant understand this. i have many many rows of information, and i would like to calculate the sums of say col 1, col 3, col 5, etc...but for each new row i dont want to have to manually revise each cell to say sum(a1+c1+e1, etc...) and then sum(a2+c2+e2, etc...) for hundreds of rows, this is very tedious. can someone help me? -- speakeztruth ------------------------------------------------------------------------ speakeztruth's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=24028 View this thread: http://www.ex...

excel filesizing
Any idea how to change the maximum size of an excel file from 65K? Not possible -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom (No private emails please, for everyone's benefit keep the discussion in the newsgroup/forum) <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:290c601c4644c$8a69d420$a301280a@phx.gbl... > Any idea how to change the maximum size of an excel file > from 65K? Hi Poe, What does filesizing mean?. ( Is the person referring to number of rows in a spreadsheet? ) Regards, Hari India "Peo Sjoblom" <terre08@mvp.org> wrote in message news:ei3ON0EZ...

SheetName (Application.Caller.Parent.Name) Forces Excel to Save File
I have a VBA function in Excel that I have been using for years that will display the sheet name in a cell. The VBA function is as follows: Function SheetName() As String Application.Volatile SheetName = Application.Caller.Parent.Name End Function This works great. However, I have found that if I am using this function if I open a worksheet and not change anything Excel will prompt me if I want to save the worksheet if I have not made any changes. Why is this happening and is there a way to prevent this from happening? Thanks, Mike The problem may be Application.Volitile If ...

cannot open excel file from outlook

opening links