Numeric reference of column. Data Grab ?

I have one column A with sites names and next 33 columns with site
categories

In each line i put an "x" mark at the proper column(category) that the
site belongs

I want to put a column in the column beside site's name and receive the
description of each category

The description of each category is the heading of each column ( row 1
)

vlookup or hlookup didn't work. I used match MATCH("x";B2:AH2;FALSE)
and i got the column where the x is located in numeric format

Can you suggest a solution to this ?

Thanks

--
bigexcelfan
bigexcelfan's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=30119

Try:

=INDEX($B$1:$AH$1,MATCH("x",B2:AH2,0))

HTH
JG

--
pinmaster
pinmaster's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=6261

Hi

I think this will work

=INDEX($C$1:$AH$1,,MATCH("x",C2:AH2,FALSE))

But it looks like PinMaster beat me to it

Regards
Shaun

--
ShaunM
ShaunM's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=18610

pinmaster & ShaunM thanks. Your solution worked perfectly

--
bigexcelfan
bigexcelfan's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=30119
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=498080

Data Base Repair Done

Calculating time between successful data transmissions
Hi - I need a little help devising something that will basically do the following: I have a set of dates of transmissions and I want to find the time between successful transmits. See below: 11/11/04 6:01 DIAL 1-800-827-1159 11/11/04 6:02 Nothing was received. 11/11/04 6:04 DIAL 1-800-827-1159 11/11/04 6:07 DIAL 1-800-827-1159 11/11/04 6:10 DIAL 1-800-827-1159 11/11/04 6:14 DIAL 1-800-827-1159 11/11/04 6:17 DIAL 1-800-827-1159 11/11/04 6:18 Nothing was received. 11/11/04 6:20 DIAL 1-800-827-1159 11/11/04 6:24 DIAL 1-800-827-1159 11/11/04 6:25 Nothing was received. 11/11/04 6:27 DIAL 1-800...

Relative Reference in Conditional Formattin
I can't get relative references working in a conditional formatting formula in Excel 2003. Can someone help me with this? I'm sure it must be something simpe I'm missing. Here's what I want to do: - Apply a conditional format to a large area of a spreadsheet to show when the cell in the column to the left of each cell has a higher numeric value - I'd also like to have the ability to insert columns and have them inherit the same conditional formatting. If i have to do this by painting, that's fine. Here are the formulas I've tried so far: =OR(C[-1...

Defining a type or element for this element/complex data type ...
Hi <ClubNight Name = "Go club" Date = "2006-09-09"> Discussed a few simple proverbs. <Attendee Name = "RJ"/> <Attendee Name = "TT"/> <Attendee Name = "RB"/> </ClubNight> I'm trying to work out if I can actually define this as a complex type in my schema. I can do it no problems without the text 'Discussed a few simple proverbs." but no matter how I fiddle with extending a simple type and so on, I just can't get it working. Is it actually possible? Thanks for any advice. Emma <emma_middleb...

How to enter data then move automatically to new cell?
Hi, I am entering lots of family history data into a spreadsheet. At the simplest I have columns (in cells A1 B1 C1) the headings, Surname, Forename, Year. Right now, I enter in cells A2 B2 and C2 say: Smith <Tab> John <Tab> 1555 <Enter, move mouse to the A column in the next row down). What I want to happen is when I have entered the last data in a row and pressed <Enter> I move automatically to the A-column in the next row down. Is this possible? Regards and a Merry Christmas to all Wibs -- Wibs --------------------------------------------------------------------...

Use a Date range to sum a column
What is the formula to sum Column F (the price) if the date is between 1/1/04 and 1/31/04 Date Pric 1/1/04 1073 2-A Druid Hills John Willis Homes Roger Swims $18,000.0 2/2/04 1074 3-A Druid Hills John Willis Homes Roger Swims $18,000.0 1/1/04 1075 1/7/04 1076 29 Darthmouth John Willis Homes Kevin Aycock $21,000.0 Thank you for your help. Looks like you are totaling per month =SUMPRODUCT(--(MONTH($A$2:$A$200)=1),--($A$2:$A$200<>""),$F$2:$F$200) if you r...

Numeric currency to words
I would like to use a user created function to read a cell containing a numeric currency value and put it into words, ie. $103.40 is One Hundred Dollars and Forty Cents. Any help? Thanks! Here is one way (you would want to use "Dollar" as the second argument to the function)... Go into the VB Editor (Alt+F11) and add a Module to the Workbook (Insert/Module from the VBA menu) and then paste in all of the code appearing after my signature into the Module's code window. You can call the function from your work sheet like this =NumberAsText(A1) where A1 is assumed ...

How to sort task due data ascending, tasks w/o dates last?
I have a long task list, most tasks don't have due dates. Some do. I want my tasks listed with the earliest due task on top, followed by the next earliest (due date ascending sort order), but I also want those tasks w/o due dates to come after the task with the latest due date. Problem is in due date ascending order, tasks w/o dates come first before any dated tasks. To me this is remarkably silly because who would ever want tasks w/o due dates to list before tasks w/due dates when sorting by due date? ...

placing a reference to a cell in a print header
I'm looking for a way to display the value of a cell in a print header using some kind of formula without using Visual Basic code. If the cell that contains the value I want to display is in a range named "MyRange" in a worksheet named "Sheet1," is it possible to place some kind of formula in a print header so that it will always display the current value in MyRange whenever the page is pinted out? Thank you in advance. Paul Hi Paul AFAIK there is no way to insert a formula into the header/footer definition. You have to use the workbook event Before_print to inse...

Variable data to copy in to filters "comments"
The problem is that the data in ("F1") is variable. When i record a macro, the data that is in ("F1") the first time stays in "criteria1". I need it to change when the data changes in ("F1") How to do this? Range("F1").Select Selection.Copy Sheets("Recepten").Select Selection.AutoFilter Field:=5 Selection.AutoFilter Field:=4, Criteria1:="=IMP12-C", Operator: Thanks all ...., Criteria1:="=IMP12-C", ... could be: ...., Criteria1:=range("F1").value, ... wyp wrote: > > The prob...

Data not complete i SFO on newly installed client
One of our salespersons got a new PC and everything was installed from scratch without problems. After that only a portion of the content in CRM is showing up in SFO. That is both in off-line and on-line mode. Any suggestions how to solve that? Regards Thomas Thomas Svensson wrote: > One of our salespersons got a new PC and everything was installed > from scratch without problems. After that only a portion of the > content in CRM is showing up in SFO. That is both in off-line and > on-line mode. Any suggestions how to solve that? Hello Thomas, I had the same problem. What w...

create report based on data from other form?
2x forms one form contains addresses, each record shows a different address, each record has a unique project_id the other form contains invoices, each record shows a different invoice number, date and project_id i want a button on the address form that opens a report, the report only shows those invoice records that have the same project_id as the record that is currently viewed on the address form how do i do this? hi, On 15.04.2010 12:58, Seddon Acaster wrote: > i want a button on the address form that opens a report, the report only > shows those invoice re...

Apply column totals with Filters?
Have a simple spreadsheet that I have a total at the bottom of a column. Would like to apply a filter and have the column total only be a summation of entries that are displayed with the filter, not all entries. Is this possible? Al, Use SUBTOTAL(). Something like: =SUBTOTAL(9,B2:B100) -- Earl Kiosterud mvpearl omitthisword at verizon period net ------------------------------------------- "Al Franz" <albert@nospam.netmation.com> wrote in message news:%23CpNMQoIFHA.3588@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl... > Have a simple spreadsheet that I have a total at the bottom of a col...

Generic reference to form's control containing a subform
Hi, From within subform's code I would like to access the tag property of the parent's form control which contains the subfrom. I know how to do it when the subform code knows the exact name of the control which contains the subform: Tag = Me.Parent!subformContainerControlName.Tag However, in my case the same subform can be included in many different subformContainer controls. So I woulld like to have a generic code in which I refer to the subformContainer control wihtout using its specific name. Similarly to how I can refer to a parent form (e.g. me.Parent) witho...

keep customiasation and clean up data...
Is there a way i could clean up the entire data that was entered by the test users and retain the customisation that I have done to the CRM. If so How do i go about it..or would i have to start from scratch... Please remember , i kind of messed up the administrator privilegde and so i need to get back the out of box administration privilegde too...... Any suggestions.. Thanks Hmm.. If you messed up the administrator account, then your best bet would be to Export the CRM schema, unistall CRM, reistall CRM and then import the schema. Be sure to document your Security Roles entires and ...

Database text converted to numeric
I Imported data from a SQL Database, it is numeric and alpha numeric but mostly numeric numbers (Serial numbers). I need to compare this list to another Excel list containing the same information but with some numbers missing. I pull this into Access and when I try and compare them the error is that the format has to be the same. I changed the format of the list I imported to Numeric (most of the numbers is only numbers) but now I have to press F2 and enter on every single number (database is only 227500 lines) to convert it to a Number. I thought it was because it still saw itself as a Dat...

Convert Unix column to date and time in 2 columns
I used the following as a query expression to convert unix timestamp. DateAdd("s",UnixDate,#1/1/1970#) This got it done but I am now wanting to go one step further and be able to have the date in one column and the time in another for additional queries vs. having them in the same column. Any suggestion? The formula takes this value 1181836800 and returns this: 6/14/2007 4:00:00 PM I would like to somehow end up with 6/14/2007 in one columen and 4:00:00 PM in another. DateValue(date_time_value) and TimeValue( date_time_value) Vanderghast, Access MVP "LizB&quo...

Function cell references change by themselves
Spreadsheet created in Excel 2000, now opened in Excel 2002. OS Windows 200 Professional A SUM function =SUM(A2:D4) is in column I. There are other numbers in cumns F and G. When info is entered in columns A to D, then in F and G, the Function cell references change themselves so the it reads =SUM(A2:G2). We are moving betweent he cells using either the tab button or the arrow keys. Please can you suggest what is happening and how to resolve it. ...

The data has been changed message
Hi, I'm getting a following message, always on the same page of tab control: The data has been changed. Another user edited this record and saved the changes before you attempted to save your changes. Re-edit the record. I know that there isn't any other user working on database. What could be a problem? Thanx alekmil You are the other user. You have 2 different forms editing the same record. Access has no way of knowing that. -- Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP http://www.datastrat.com http://www.accessmvp.com http://www.mvps.org/access "alekm" <alekm...

Converting 3 columns to 1
I have a list of data in a matrix with three columns, like so John 3 blue Mary 7 red Mark 4 white ... and so on I want to convert this matrix into a list with just one column John 3 blue Mary 7 red Mark 4 white ... and so on Does anyone know of a easy way of doing this? Very thankful for any help! /Niklas -- Gargoyl ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Gargoyl's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=29280 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=490014 Hi, Let's su...

Random Conversion of alpha/numeric text with letter "e" to exponen
OS - w2003, office 2003, desktop XP Pro/ w2000 Pro My company uses a six digit alpha - numeric string for customer account numbers. a few are all numeric, most are in the format: ##X###, where # = numeric and X = an alpha character. A few accounts, 101 out of 360, that contain an "e" as the alpha character are converted to an exponential by Excel. the other 259 are not. These 101 accounts where the first accounts created using "e", the subsequent 259 accounts are not converted by Excel. Anyone have a clue as to what is going on and how I can stop it? Thanks, --...

sorting alpha numerics
I have a list of documents that I need to sort by title. Example AFI10-229 AFI10-245 AFI10-1101 After I sort, the list looks like this AFI10-1101 AFI10-229 AFI10-245 How do I make it take the entire alphanumeric into account? Let A2:A4 house the sample to sort. In B2 enter & copy down: =--REPLACE(A2,1,SEARCH("-",A2),"") Sort A2:B4, with column A in ascending order and column B in descendin order. Sproove Wrote: > I have a list of documents that I need to sort by title. Example > > AFI10-229 > AFI10-245 > AFI10-1101 > > After I sort, th...

text form to numeric ?
E.g A cell contain 1233- but the value is actually a numric value whereby the "-" behind is a negative sign, wat function do I use to convert it to a numeric form causing it to to become -1233 ? One way, assuming that the values are mixed (some with/without "-" sign) and that the values are in colA, which is formatted as text; IF(RIGHT(Ax,1)="-",LEFT(Ax,LEN(Ax)-1)*-1,VALUE(Ax)) -- Regards; Rob ------------------------------------------------------------------------ "crapit" <littlecramp@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:OSAgKf$1DHA.2324@TK2MS...

I have a column of data and I'd like to transpose it to go across.
I have a column of data going down that I'd like to transpose to go across the page so that I can add this info to data going across the page. I mean for example, I have data Jan, Feb, Mar, going down the page and I'd like them to be going across like 1st Month, 2nd Month, 3rd Month etc., but they are going from top to bottom and I want them to go from right to left. I tried the Transpose function, however, when I went to click on the arrow to the Right of PASTE, there was no arrow. Any suggestions?? John Copy the data, right click in Cell where you want to begin paste, sel...

data files and receiving email
For the past week I thought I couldn't receive email. It turns out I can, but not in the way I wanted to. I found this out merely by bumbling my way through drop down menus and troubleshooting lists (I didn't set my Outlook up, or otherwise I might understand what this all means), and here's what seems to be my issue: I have three separate 'Data Files' in my Outlook; one is for me, one is for the other user of my computer, and one is simply called 'Outlook.' I am guessing that this is because my friend who set it up thought that by naming places for email t...