numbering items in a cell

Hi,

Is it possible to number items in a cell?

This number should automatically increment when I enter a new item at the
end of the cell as in microsoft word.

Thanks!

>Is it possible to number items in a cell?

If there's some kind of unique delimiter that separates the items then you
can count the delimiters and add 1. For example:

1,2,3

You'd count the number of commas and add 1. So, that cells contains 3 items

red yes no blue

You'd count the number of space characters and add 1. So, that cell contains
4 items.

You should post some examples.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Maanu" <Maanu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Is it possible to number items in a cell?
>
> This number should automatically increment when I enter a new item at the
> end of the cell as in microsoft word.
>
> Thanks!

One method:
In A1 enter a 1
In A2 enter: =IF(OR(B2>0,B2>""),A1+1,"") and copy down (you could then hide
column A)
In C2 enter: =A2&" "&B2 and copy down
Now in column B (starting in B2) enter your data.
Column C should give you the desired result

"Maanu" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is it possible to number items in a cell?
>
> This number should automatically increment when I enter a new item at the
> end of the cell as in microsoft word.
>
> Thanks!
An example is given below. All the items given below is in the same cell

1. Manu
2. Mini
3. Saiju

if I press alt+enter the next item should start with 4.

"T. Valko" wrote:

> >Is it possible to number items in a cell?
>
> If there's some kind of unique delimiter that separates the items then you
> can count the delimiters and add 1. For example:
>
> 1,2,3
>
> You'd count the number of commas and add 1. So, that cells contains 3 items
>
> red yes no blue
>
> You'd count the number of space characters and add 1. So, that cell contains
> 4 items.
>
> You should post some examples.
>
> --
> Biff
> Microsoft Excel MVP
>

> "Maanu" <Maanu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > Is it possible to number items in a cell?
> >
> > This number should automatically increment when I enter a new item at the
> > end of the cell as in microsoft word.
> >
> > Thanks!
>

> .

>All the items given below is in the same cell
>if I press alt+enter the next item should start with 4.

Yikes!

I don't know how you'd do that all in the same cell. In fact, I'd love to
see someones solution. I don't think it can be done. While you're typing
data into a cell Excel is in Edit mode. Nothing can happen in Excel while
you're in Edit mode until you actually enter the data in the cell by either
hitting the Enter key, the tab key, one of the directional arrow keys or
clicking the "enter" icon.

--

> An example is given below. All the items given below is in the same cell
>
> 1. Manu
> 2. Mini
> 3. Saiju
>
> if I press alt+enter the next item should start with 4.
>
> "T. Valko" wrote:
>
>> >Is it possible to number items in a cell?
>>
>> If there's some kind of unique delimiter that separates the items then
>> you
>> can count the delimiters and add 1. For example:
>>
>> 1,2,3
>>
>> You'd count the number of commas and add 1. So, that cells contains 3
>> items
>>
>> red yes no blue
>>
>> You'd count the number of space characters and add 1. So, that cell
>> contains
>> 4 items.
>>
>> You should post some examples.
>>
>> --
>> Biff
>> Microsoft Excel MVP
>>

>> "Maanu" <Maanu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > Is it possible to number items in a cell?
>> >
>> > This number should automatically increment when I enter a new item at
>> > the
>> > end of the cell as in microsoft word.
>> >
>> > Thanks!
>>

>> .

Cannot be done.

Excel knows nothing about bulleted lists.

You will have to enter the "4."  manually after Alt + Enter on  3. Saiju

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 21:30:01 -0700, Maanu <Maanu@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>An example is given below. All the items given below is in the same cell
>
>1. Manu
>2. Mini
>3. Saiju
>
>if I press alt+enter the next item should start with 4.
>
>"T. Valko" wrote:
>
>> >Is it possible to number items in a cell?
>>
>> If there's some kind of unique delimiter that separates the items then you
>> can count the delimiters and add 1. For example:
>>
>> 1,2,3
>>
>> You'd count the number of commas and add 1. So, that cells contains 3 items
>>
>> red yes no blue
>>
>> You'd count the number of space characters and add 1. So, that cell contains
>> 4 items.
>>
>> You should post some examples.
>>
>> --
>> Biff
>> Microsoft Excel MVP
>>

>> "Maanu" <Maanu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > Is it possible to number items in a cell?
>> >
>> > This number should automatically increment when I enter a new item at the
>> > end of the cell as in microsoft word.
>> >
>> > Thanks!
>>

>> .

0
Gord

Sequentially numbered Purchase orders
In the past with Office 97. I used a purchase order template that would basically self number itself. when it opened a small box would appear and by clicking it the PO received a unique number. How can I accomplish this using Office XP. ...

How do I set the number format to Base 12?
I would like to change the number format on my spreadsheet from Base 10 to Base 12, eg. 12 bottles makes up 1 case. Therefore, if I were adding up three different cells 9 bottles + 11 bottles + 6 bottles, my result should be 2 cases 2 bottles if possible 2.2 in a case column. See http://www.cpearson.com/excel/fractional.htm for details. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "Andrew Moore" <AndrewMoore@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:893CABE9-37D7-4E6B-8A7E-A5E679C8C824@microsoft.com... >...

Summing distinct rows in same cell
Sorry for the bad title I'm not sure hte best way to sum up this issue. Fruit Price Total Apples 0.69 40 Bananas 0.34 38 Lemons 0.55 15 Oranges 0.25 25 Apples 0.5 10 Pears 0.59 40 Almonds 2.8 10 Cashews 3.55 16 Peanuts 1.25 20 Walnuts 1.75 12 Apples 0.5 5 Given the data above I'm trying to sum the totals for only the Appl rows. So basically I need to search the Fruit column find the row that have "Apples" and then sum their corresponding Totals, giving m 55. I've been playing with this for hours with Lookups and Indexes bu am not really getting anywhere. Also, I can...

Save As using contents of Cell in Name

Cells Fill Automatically on Another Workbook
I've created what we'll call a seed worksheet to be used over and over for different clients. I have linked its cells to another workbook. As the originating seed worksheet directs its cell data to a specific cell on another workbook, how can I accomplish the workbook data not being overwritten but the new incoming data default to the next unused cell in the column? i.e. If the original seed worksheet cell B1 links to the worksheet cell A1, I would like the next instance of creating a new customer and his B1 information on his use of the seed worksheet to populate onto th...

Keeping Sent Items in sync across two PCs
I asked this question a few days ago in the microsoft.public.outlook.general forum but didn't get any replies, so I thought I'd try here instead... I have two computers, and both use Outlook 2000 for email. I don not use an Exchange server - email is by POP3/SMTP. Both computers collect the same email by POP3, and are set up to leave messages on the server for 30 days so nothing is missed on either PC. This works well, but the only problem is that when I send an email, it is only in the Sent Items fold of the PC that I used to send the email. Is there a way to 'copy' group...

Adding up negative numbers only
Ok, let me try to explain this problem. I have several cells a1 throug a10. Each cell has a number, for ex. $10.00, ($5.00),etc. , sometime this number is positive, sometimes it is negative. I want to only ad all of the negative numbers in cells a1:a10 and put a total in cel a11. How can I do this? Thanks Ton -- tonydep ----------------------------------------------------------------------- tonydepo's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1530 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26928 =SUMIF(A1:A10,"<0&quo...

Concatenating cells but excluding blanks
Hello, I am trying to create a result field, concatenating populated cells from the previous 12 columns on that line, but excluding blank cells and putting a * delimiting character between each instance - please find below a 4 column example. ID 1 2 3 4 Result Z A C D A*C*D Y B C B*C X A B D A*B*D Each of the 10,000 lines of the spreadsheet is different - there are at least 5 blank cells on each line Any help gratefully received. I am working in Excel 2007 Many thanks. Bob Try this: http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/5826/nonamee.png Micky "Bob Fr...

Count Unique Items with Multiple Criteria
I am trying to get a list of how many lots a particular car model is on. For example, say we have a spreadsheet that looks like: Model License Lot Ford xjd-394 1 Chevy gwg-394 2 Ford sdf-333 1 Ford lkj-111 3 Toyota skd-333 4 Toyota shk-584 4 I am loking for a way to get data that says how many unique lots each car is on, so for example: Ford: 2 Chevy: 1 Toyota: 1 I was trying to do this with Pivot tables and the count functionality, but it isn't quite getting me the results I want. I can get the results with a pivot table ...

Sequential Numbering
I would like to know the formula for making a cell be able to do sequential numbering such as for purchase orders. Tom, A simple way would be to use something like this, you could assign it to a button, an open or before print event. Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A1").Value = _ Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A1").Value + 1 For other ways to do this or if this is going to be used in a temple have a look here http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/udfs/sequentialnums.html And if you are new to macros you may also what to have a look here on getting start...

Site-specific config items
I've got an ASP.NET 3.5 website on a shared-hosting server, and of course my own development copy. Data is in a SQL Server database. I've looked at some of the strategies available to configure the connections string appropriately for each site without accidentally overwriting one with the other. One of them, to define the data connection string in machine.config, is unavailable to me on the production website, but I was thinking about doing it this way: Suppose my site is as follows Root --App1 --App2 I have two ASP.NET applications, and I don't have anything d...

Copy Data from One Group of Cells to Another Group
I have five columns of data on two different sheets in the same workbook. One set of columns is sorted in ascending date order the other in descending date order. When I enter data into the last row of Sheet 1, I need the data in that row in columns A, B, C and D to be copied into Sheet 2 columns A, C, D and E in a newly inserted row 14. Is this possible with the use of a macro? I can find the last cell in Sheet 1, but then need to go up one row and back to column A. I am having difficulty with that. Thanks is advance for any assistance offered! /s/ Alan Auerbach On Sat, 26 May 2007, ...

Automatic Number Sequence
I would like to make a form in excel that automatically generates a number of the form in one of the cells. How can I go about doing this, that everytime I print a sheet it automatically generates a new number in the sequence? I have tried playing around with macros and it doesn't seem to change, only stay at a specific number. Is there an easier formula that this can be done with or do I have to use macro's and how do I do it with macro's if that's what's required?? It's a product information form for new products that need entering into the system. Hi Awissa, ...

Copy cell contents, then paste into the same cell with other text.
Hi! I tried a search first and couldn't find anything like this. My spreadsheet has a column for shipping that takes a series like this for each product: ?0.0*0.13.2*d*0x0x0:07:24:04 Following the question mark is the handling charge (0.0 in this example). This is followed by an * and then the weight of the item (0.13.2 in this example which is 13.2 ounces) I have a list of product weights in a colum with just pounds and ounces. I need to copy that information, then paste it into the weight area of the string above and then paste those modified contents back into t...

How to select other random cells
I have a 2 part question. I want to have a 1 question survey randomly filled out by 200 people. Column A lists the 1 questions. Columun b has ABCDE listed in cells B6 to b10. I would like 200 samples in columns c, d, e, etc. How do I set this up so that they randomly Coose B6 to B 10. Second part. On another spreadsheet, I have a similar situation, but the user has 10 answers to select from and I want them to randomly select all that apply. How would I do this? Thanks! ...

QSSession Rules & during a live transaction getting the item
I am developing a hook and one of the TRANSACTION class has a ENTRIES method which allows you to use ELEMENTS for example mySession.Transaction.Entries.Element(1).Description works just fine and so does everything else, but the mySession.Transaction.Entries.Element(1).Item does not work and I think it is because this has a different datatype than a string or an integer so I can not get it to work or read anything for the ..Item part of my hook. Any ideas or suggestions of where to go with this? Thank you. ClothingStore wrote: > Any ideas or suggestions of where to go with this? > T...

Item Notes
We need to frequently update and add notes for items in Great Plains 9.0. Updating existing notes is very simple since a noteindx entry already exists in the SY03900 table. Adding notes is a different issue since the noteindx is 0 and no enty exsits in the SY03900 table. Has anyone created a routine in which to bulk load item notes which will create the correct noteindx entry in the IV00101 table and an entry in the SY03900 table? Does anyone know where the system stores the last noteindx value? Thanks The next note index is stored in the NOTEINDX field for the specific company i...

Inserting dashes to an existing number
Hi, I am trying to create a formula that will divide this ten digit numbe into the following dashes. Here is the number 1234000999 I need the dashes to be inserted in thi format 1234-000-999. What is the appropriate formula. Thanks for your help. Dinahros -- dinahros ----------------------------------------------------------------------- dinahrose's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1334 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26643 Why not just custom format right click on selection>format>number>custom...

Number Rows on a report?
It would be anice addition if I could add numbers (a count) in front of each row on my filtered report. Any easy way to do this. I was thinking an unbound text box with something in the control source - I just don't know the something :) Any help here will be appreciated. Thanks in advance On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 14:07:27 -0700, Dave wrote: > It would be anice addition if I could add numbers (a count) in front of each > row on my filtered report. > > Any easy way to do this. > > I was thinking an unbound text box with something in the control source - I > just...

How do I change the default number format ?
The current number format is general. I would like to change it to accounting with no $ and 2 decimals. I can't seem to find how. I'd appreciate any help that anyone can give me. Thank you. Hi. You would want to change the definition of the "Normal" style. From the menu: Format | Style... And modify the "Normal" style HTH -- Dana DeLouis Win XP & Office 2003 "LarryH" <LarryH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EA38F73B-D938-4EB7-804F-6716C292E3E3@microsoft.com... > The current number format is general. I would like to...

Removing Hyphens from a Number
I have a huge database of numbers (several thousand) with hyphens in them and I want to remove the hyphens in some automated fashion. For instance: 42-291-32455 change to 4229132455 Does anyone know of a way to do this? Thanks. --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Use a formula to put number in an adjacent cell =SUBSTITUTE(A1,"-","") -- HTH Bob Phillips ... looking out across Poole Harbour to the Purbecks (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "Trebor249 >" <<Trebor249.zxxy0@excelforum-nos...

'Text' instead of number
I have spent two days manipulating data (about 300,000 cells' worth) I imported as Fixed-Width (from MAS-90, if anyone cares). The final step involves multiplying two numbers. The POSITIVE numbers imported fine, the NEGATIVE numbers imported as X.000- and give me a #VALUE! error when I use any math function with them. I have tried the Trimall macro. I am guessing that somehow Excel thinks the '-' is a DASH and not a negative... How do I change that???? See: http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/postfixnegatives.html HTH Jason Atlanta, GA >-----Original Message----- &g...