Number format using formula or cell content

Is it possible to use a formula or the content of another cell to set
the number of decimal places? For example, if cell A1 had a formula
which results in the value 4, I want cell C6 to show 0.0000 and if
A1's value was 7 I want C6 to show 0.0000000.
Thanks....

Hi
not possible with a format. You'll have to use VBA

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

"mike hutchins" <ma_hutchins@hotmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Is it possible to use a formula or the content of another cell to set
> the number of decimal places? For example, if cell A1 had a formula
> which results in the value 4, I want cell C6 to show 0.0000 and if
> A1's value was 7 I want C6 to show 0.0000000.
> Thanks....

0
frank.kabel (11126)
9/24/2004 2:51:29 PM
Use Conditional Formating On The Format Menu

--
dcronj
dcronje's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=528

Hi dcronje,

Are you sure? I only see an ability to format the font, border or pattern.
Can you clarify or explain?

http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=5281
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=263196

you could use a helper cell:

=text(c6,"0."&rept("0",a1))

But it'll be text--but just use the value in C6 if further calculations are
required.

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

Simplification of Formula
I have created the following formula from by reviewing other treads. While it works, it is very long. Any suggestions for simplification? Ideally I would like to create a Name reference for the formula but it is too long for a Name reference. My suggestion is you post your formula. Regards, Fred "lmavroff" <lmavroff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B472B187-48D0-4C82-A85E-216A0D262CA7@microsoft.com... >I have created the following formula from by reviewing other treads. While > it works, it is very long. Any suggestions for simplifi...

Can we use group policy templates for Outlook client options
Hi there, We are looking to automate the CRM outlook client settings so we don't have to manually change them for each user. Is there any way we can do this through group policy or another way? It would be handy if we had a list of registry settings that we could use? Thanks ...

Numbering
Can I enter numbers in a cross functional flowchart? On Mon, 24 Aug 2009 12:07:02 -0700, carosaam <carosaam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Can I enter numbers in a cross functional flowchart? Yes. Do you mean for the process names or function names? Yes. -- Regards, Paul Herber, Sandrila Ltd. Electronics for Visio http://www.electronics.sandrila.co.uk/ Electrical for Visio http://www.electrical.sandrila.co.uk/ Electronics Packages for Visio http://www.electronics-packages.sandrila.co.uk/ ...

negative number to positive number
How can I change a negative number to positive number Multiply by -1 or use the ABS() function. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "fgiord" <fgiord@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:62C2A6DA-7AC2-4379-AEFC-B3D6F3698E58@microsoft.com... > How can I change a negative number to positive number =ABS(##) or mult it by -1 -- Regards Rob "fgiord" <fgiord@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:62C2A6DA-7AC2-4379-AEFC-B3D6F3698E58@microsoft.com... > How can I chan...

Excel used for exam questions?
Are there any examples of Excel (or maybe Access) used for general exam (or revision) questions? Pointers, anyone? For a simple example, randomly select two numbers from two lists provided, and ask the candidate to multiply/divide/whatever operation, and insert answer; evaluate the given answer. I've Googled, but only come up with exams ON Excel, not exams USING Excel. Simple examples would be appreciated. Thanks Pedro ...

How do I expand the number of characters in Access comment box?
I am using Access 2007 and want to be able to include more than 250 characters in a "Comment" box. Hi, You could try changing your table's field type to Memo. Assuming that your are talking about a field in a table, that maybe shows on a form. If that is not the case, please describe precisely what comment box your are attempting to use. Clifford Bass Pearlene wrote: >I am using Access 2007 and want to be able to include more than 250 >characters in a "Comment" box. -- Message posted via http://www.accessmonster.com ...

Need a formula for multiple sums in a cloumn when rows vary
I am making a invoice I need a total for each truck, with a grand total at the end. The number of rows for each truck in the amount column will vary. Is it possible to have the text truck total to the left of the total? A small example below, there will be more entries under each truck and more trucks also. tr# date hrs rate amount 3 4/12/10 10 50 500 4/13/10 5 50 250 truck 3 total 750 4 4/10/10 1 50 50 truck 4 total 50 and so on ...

1-52 pages, 8,000 employee numbers
Dear Excel, I have the ultimate challenge: to do job books for 8,000 employees. The form is completed, but the request is to make booklets of 52 pages for each employee. Each page of the booklet must also have each employee's number on it (0001 to 8000). Each page o fthe booklet must be numbered with the week number from 01 to 52. Therefore I need to auto generate 416,000 pages. Ridiculous I know but nobody listens to us! How can I export the above scenario to PDF from Excel? Thanks On Apr 19, 2:17=A0pm, gatecrasherg13 gatecrasherg13 <gatecrasher...@gmail.com> wr...

use excel to create PP slides?
I'm not sure if this is possible but I have a list of information in an excel table and I'd like to auto matically generate a slide for each row of data. for instance, I have a list of products and each product is on it's own row with 6 product features in the following columns. How can I take that info from excel and create a features slide for each product using the information from the following columns. I don't mind cutting and pasting the list - it doesn't have to be fully automatic but as I have over 1000 products I desperately don't want to reype ...

Hide page numbers for mutliple discontiquous levels
Hi: I need to hide the page numbers for levels 1 and 7 in my TOC. I used the \n switch to hide level 1, but cannot find a way to specify multiple ranges for this switch. Is there a way to do this? I am using Word 2003. Phil You have to use a trick. See the "Omitting page numbers for noncontiguous levels" section of http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/TOCTips.htm#OmitPageNumbers -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "Phillip Llacuna" <phillip.v.llacuna@lmco.com> wrote in me...

Change of Colour to a cell when "Warning" is in that cell
After some help. Say in column D i want all the cells with the word "Warning" to b yellow, all the cells with the word "Normal" to be green. I think have to write a Visual Basic script, but i dont know how to. I need i to automatically update when the words move, so it needs to be live -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi no VBA required. -Goto 'Format - Conditional Format' -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany > After some help. > Say in column D i want all the cells with the word "Warning" to be > yellow, all the cell...

Sequential numbering in Number field
When I am entering transactions manually, I will put "Debit" or "VISA" to indicate how the withdrawl was made. When I download my account information, Money05 overwrites this with a sequential number. I have to go into the entry a second time to redo my change. Does anyone know how to turn this "feature" off? I want my values used - sequential numbering does not help me in the slightest. This is not a "feature" you can turn off. It's a reflection of the basic premise of downloaded transaction data. The presumption with downloading data...

V-Lookup Data Formats Imported from Crystal
When I use data imported from Crystal in a V-Lookup, it appears to be in number or general format, but the lookup function fails. I can make it work cell by cell if I copy from one list to another, but that is slow! Any way to get imported data into the correct format automatically? -- Hudd Hi try after importing: - select an empty cell and copy it - select your importted data - goto 'Edit - Paste Special' and choose 'Add' -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Hudd wrote: > When I use data imported from Crystal in a V-Lookup, it appears to be > in number or ...

Excel 2008 hyperlinks won=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=92?=t save on .xlsx format, but will save in xls format.

How to define cells so that only numbers can be filled?
Hi, How could I format cells in excel so that only numbers can be filled The input should be integer e.g. between 0...99 and cells shoud no accept any other marks, such as space, letters... simply nothing els but integers. Thanks -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi Juha! Try: Data > Validation You'll find it pretty intuitive and very flexible as to what you can do as far a restricting input to a cell. -- Regards Norman Harker MVP (Excel) Sydney, Australia njharker@optusnet.com.au Excel and Word Function Lists (Classifications, Syntax and Arguments) available fre...

Update using specified field
For simplicity sake, let's say i have two tables Table_1: ID Name Field3 Field 4 And Table_2 Field_Name ID_Number Result I want to be able to type in Table_2: Field_Name: Name ID_Number: 24--Relationship to Table_1 Result: Then run an update query that looks at Field_Name and ID_Number from Table_1 to update the Result field. I can't figure out how to turn the value for Field_Name into linking information. MAJICMnt wrote: >For simplicity sake, let's say i have two tables > >Table_1: >ID >Name >Field3 >Field 4 > >And Table_2 >Field_Name >ID...

Updating formulas (Range)
Hi All, I was wondering if anyone new a way to update a formula using a range. For example: Currently I have a formula that is as follows: =IF ($C$4=202,C$4=12400,$C$4=12703,$C$4=34007,$C$4=50116,$C$4=50702,$C$4=61100)),"LA","N/A") Each month the numbers (i.e. 202, 12400, 12703, etc.) change. Ther can be anywhere from 4 to 40 of these numbers which I manually ente into the formula each month. Is there a way to have the formula loo at a range of numbers to check if any matches $C$4 so I can jus reference a range rather than typing the numbers in the formula eac month...

Cant find the bugs in the code
I am grateful to any help and suggestions what to do! Here ar the subs I expect to make the users able to copy and paste between and within sheets. It doesn't work properly. Sometimes when I change som parts, it works partly, but never completly: - Not allow draganddrop - On every change of a range or cell an new fresh format template sheet shall be pastespecial(xlpasteFormulas) to be able to hadle merged cells in clipboard etc. -Not create a loop - Keep the sheet1 protected Please - what is wrong? i have tried to use less selection & activate code, but i could't make it right eit...

Excel Formula #14
I have a spreadsheet with two worksheets - "Data Entry" and "Summary Data". I need a formula for the following: If any cell in "Data Entry", column "I" has a number that is equal to the number in "Summary Data", column "A", I want the date in "Data Entry" column "J" that corresponds to the number in column "I" to populate "Summary Data" column "B" next to the same number in "Summary Data" column "A". Example: (Data Entry worksheet) (Column I) (Colu...

Number of Cells in a column
Hi, I want to add this formula in my ESS. COUNTIF(sheet1!S2:S43,"*Yes*") to find out the number of value containing "YES". My concern is I don't have fixed count from S2 to S43. It could be something else. What can I do to have this code reusable? I thought something like COUNTIF(Sheet!S2:Count($S2),"*Yes*") \But it doesnt work Thanks for your help Jack Try this if there is nothing else in that column:- =COUNTIF(sheet1!S:S,"*Yes*") -- Regards Ken....................... Microsoft MVP - Excel Sys Spec - ...

General Number Format Changed
Excel 2003 on XP I have a collegue who's Excel setting for General number format displays as 0.1 instead of 1 in the sample box. ie if you type in "1" you get "0.1", if you type in ".1" (as in 0.1) you get "1". Where in the settings can this General format be returned to standard? Many thanks DeanH Sorry that should have been: ie if you type in "1" you get "0.1", if you type in "1." (as in 1.0) you get "1". "DeanH" wrote: > Excel 2003 on XP > I have a collegue who's Excel setting for G...

Limit number of characters in a cell
Hi, Is there a way to limit the number of characters that a user can key into a cell. I want to get a list of names and addresses imputted by user, but I don't want them to be more than 35 characters. Thanks for the help Dr. Senji Take a look at Data|Validation. You can have excel yell at the user when they hit enter after typing in a too-long string. Dr Senji wrote: > > Hi, > > Is there a way to limit the number of characters that a user can key into a > cell. > > I want to get a list of names and addresses imputted by user, but I don't > want the...

transaction number in PC Charge
Is there any way to manage the fields that should go to PC Charge while tendering credit cards in RMS. The problem is that transaction number ( called Ticket in PC Charge) doesn't appear in PC Charge and that cost as extra money. Regards, Ewa ...

What are all the advantages of Using Memory DC??
hi all.. Can any one plz tell me wat are all the advantages of using memory DC.. That is creatin a DC using CreateCompatibleDC().. Thanks, vj A cache in memory. "Vj" <sivaram.vijay@gmail.com> ???? news:1134366275.396849.29430@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > hi all.. > > Can any one plz tell me wat are all the advantages of using memory > DC.. > That is creatin a DC using CreateCompatibleDC().. > > Thanks, > vj > The primary advantage is that for those cases where you need a memory DC, it is there. The question is ill-formed. For e...

Formula error #2
I am trying to create a simple formula to grab the text from a cell in another worksheet (same workbook). Instead of getting the text, the following is displayed (which is the text of my formula, not the text in the cell it should be reading): ='amen shell'!c1 What am I doing wrong?? Thanks! Your cell was probably formatted as Text when you entered your formula. Change the format to General, click in the cell to edit, then hit Enter. In article <43B3041F-CBAE-408F-AE25-FDD8323FE625@microsoft.com>, Ashley <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I am trying t...