Null Value - $1,000,000 Question

Has Excel ever fixed the problem of not being able to have a foruml
result in a true "NULL" value (even though null is nothing).

I went throgh this with Excel a few years ago and to make a very lon
complicated story short, no one (techs, engineers, product development
could solve the problem.  Results like 0, "", "Null", etc. will no
work for what I'm doing because it requires many tiers of calculations

I'm buying the beer if anyone can help me with this on3e

one way. I'd rather have the 1mil or Wild Turkey 101

=IF(OR(I5={""," "}),1,2)
--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software
"Null" <Null.wseba@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message

> Has Excel ever fixed the problem of not being able to have a forumla
> result in a true "NULL" value (even though null is nothing).
>
> I went throgh this with Excel a few years ago and to make a very long
> complicated story short, no one (techs, engineers, product development)
> could solve the problem.  Results like 0, "", "Null", etc. will not
> work for what I'm doing because it requires many tiers of calculations.
>

> I'm buying the beer if anyone can help me with this on3e.

Don
11/12/2003 3:35:47 PM
"Null" <Null.wseba@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message

> Has Excel ever fixed the problem of not being able to have a forumla
> result in a true "NULL" value (even though null is nothing).
>
> I went throgh this with Excel a few years ago and to make a very long
> complicated story short, no one (techs, engineers, product development)
> could solve the problem.  Results like 0, "", "Null", etc. will not
> work for what I'm doing because it requires many tiers of calculations.

I think the issue is what you mean by a "formula returning a null". The
usual mistake is to equate in your mind "null" and "blank". It's certainly
true that you cannot write any formula in A1 such that ISBLANK(A1) will
return TRUE. Unlike the other IS functions, ISBLANK tests the cell
properties rather than the cell value. The cell is not blank if it contains
anything, including a formula! This contrast is indeed confusing and ought
to be explained in Help. However, once understood, suitable formulas can be
constructed, even with "many tiers of calculations".

0
Paul
11/12/2003 4:46:40 PM
Just to add to Pauls reply:

I think alot of the confussion can be attributed to a
formula that returns the null string "". The cell is not
blank or MT because as Paul explained, it contains a
formula even though the cell formula returns the null
string and appears to be blank. The null string is in fact
a zero length text string and the cell will evaluate to
text. To further complicate matters, a formula that tests
a cell for the null string can evaluate to true thereby
leading you to believe that the cell is blank. As Paul
stated, once you understand these details, they are very
easy to deal with.

Biff

0
biffinpitt (3172)

spin button value
Hi Does the value in spinbutton properties have to be numeric or can it be a day eg mon tues wed etc if so how do I dio this Thanks tina A Forms toolbar spinner control returns an integer. You can have another cell with a formula that references the cell linked to the spinner like =CHOOSE(A1,"Sun","Mon","Tues","Weds","Thurs","Fri","Sat") Here A1 is linked to the spinner. You'd want to limit the spinner's minimum value to 1 and maximum value to 7 in this case. -- Jim Rech Excel MVP "tina" <tina@...

Null Is Null
I've got a text box in a report that's not returning properly. Here's its Control Source: =[Reports]![rptFGPackConfigsPKWeights]![srptFGPKConfigsSUPK_totalwt]! [SumWtg]+IIf(IsNull([Reports]![rptFGPackConfigsPKWeights]! [srptFGPKConfigsTPK_totalwt]![SumWtg]),Null,"") This returns #Error. It's definitely my IIf statement as it returns properly when removed however there are times when [srptFGPKConfigsTPK_totalwt].[SumWtg] will be null. In fact, this subreport will not appear if no records exist. I suspect that this is the problem. How can I write this Control Source t...

if A1=Null and B1=A1 why is result in B1=0 ??
if A1=Null and B1=A1 why is result in B1=0 ?? because of this I get wrong result for average calculations: average for (6,8,0) <> average for (6,8,null) Use =IF(A1="","",A1) -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "WGeorg" <WGeorg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:09FCCF25-D0DC-4B1E-BFA1-CEF9A9327C46@microsoft.com... > if A1=Null and B1=A1 why is result in B1=0 ?? > because of this I get wrong result for average calculations: average for > (6,8,0) <> average for (6,8,null) Use this ...

Syntax for Is Not Null ?
When one of our forms is opened (Current event) I want a message box fired by certain conditions (that the Ref control does have a value, but the Country control is empty). I have tried various bits of code along the lines shown below, but keep getting runtime errors. Wot's wrong with the following, please? If [Me.Ref] is not null and [Me.Country] = "" Then MsgBox "Please enter the country!" Many thanks CW CW - Try this: If (not isnull([Me.Ref])) AND IsNull([Me.Country]) Then MsgBox "Please enter the country!" -- Daryl S ...

When is a Null not a Null?
I have a form which is used for adding and entering data depending on where it is called from. When called in add mode (acFormAdd) a blank form is openned. When the cursor enters the text box [Name] on the form field I am trying test whether it is empty so that a search form can be openned if a new name is to be added. (I don't want the search form to open in cases when the form already has data in and I am editing rather than adding data). The form is based on a query and the data displayed in [Name] is the result of a calculated field in the query which concatenates firstname and surn...

retrieving the XmlEnumAttribute and the enum-values (2)
This post is a followup to the thread "retrieving the XmlEnumAttribute values for an Enum" in this same forum earlier this month, since my last query in that thread went unanswered. I have an enum defined (DotNet v2) as public enum velocityUom { [System.Xml.Serialization.XmlEnumAttribute("m/s")] ms = 21, [System.Xml.Serialization.XmlEnumAttribute("cm/a")] cma, ... } My original post was to ask how I could retrieve the XmlEnumAttribute values for this Enum so that I could create a combo box with values like "m/s", &qu...

What is the Null character?
What is the character sequence that Excel uses to represent an empty cell? I am using a formula and when it returns false, I would like for it to represent the cell as if it was empty. I have tried using "" as an empty cell, but excel recognizes that this is a value, not an empty cell. You can't do what you want to do. A formula always returns *something*. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "Quinn Ramsey" <Quinn Ramsey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D67F6311-0CCA-48B5-A...

XmlSerializer Question #2
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0010_01C68FB9.9CBAFE20 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Is is possible to prevent the XmlSerializer from adding the default = namespaces to the root of the XML document? I have a simple class that = I want to write and will not be reading the data back into the system = using a serializer. Thanks,=20 Matt ------=_NextPart_000_0010_01C68FB9.9CBAFE20 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <!...

Passing Values between forms
I am trying to link to forms. I have a button on the main form (frmCompanies) that needs to open another form when a button is clicked. The new form that opens is frmScheduledActivities. When it open it needs to check to see if there is an existing record (scheduled activity) for the company and if there is no scheduled activity be set to add a new record. When the button is clicked on the main company form (on the on click event) this code runs: Private Sub cmdCallBack_Click() On Error GoTo Err_cmdCallBack_Click Dim stDocName As String Dim stLinkCriteria As String...

excel dropdown menu question
Being a complete newbie here, my question is as follows. I have created a spreadsheet for our Little League baseball team by position and inning. In each cell I have created a dropdown menu that lists each of our 11 players by name so that all I have to do is select the players name and it fills in that cell for that position/inning. What I would like this drop down menu to do, if possible, is as I move down the player position (in a single inning) and choose a players name to fill that position, the dropdown menu then removes that players name in the next position to be filled. EX: ...

Charting null values
I have a chart that is plotting null values. I tried the formula =if(C25="",N/A(),Sum(C22:C25)). I've also deleted the formula to create a completely null cell. I've been to Tools, Options, Chart and selected Plot empty cells as Not plotted, zero and Interpollated As well as turning Plot Visible Cells only (turned it on and off) Nothing seems to make a difference. Any suggestions? Stephanie, what kind of chart are you using? Can you give an example of how your data table looks like? br, Henk "StephanieH" wrote: > I have a chart that is plotting ...

How to Link a cell in an Excel spread sheet to a text value in Visio 2007
I would like to have a text value in Visio take the value of a cell in an Excell spread sheet. Is there a way to do this, at least on opening the Visio Document? Thanks in advance, Marco UCO Lick Observatory Laboratory for Adaptive Optics visio 2007 professional http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/visio/HA100518191033.aspx al "Marco" <null@null.net> wrote in message news:uCcafQkuKHA.1796@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > I would like to have a text value in Visio take the value of a cell in an > Excell spread sheet. Is there a way to do this, at leas...

NULL values
Working with a downloaded table form a Lotus Notes contact manager. Now in access call tblclients. I query certain info. to update the records. BUT...'Is Null' does not work. It comes back empty and there are definitely empty contents in the fields I chose. I know how to do this as it works in my other tables on other databases. The only difference I can see in this table as opposed to tables created directly in Access is the Field Design property called Unicode Compression saying No instead of the default Yes. I changed the Unicode to Yes in case this had something to do with it and ...

How can I check a combo box content or value or something
Hi. I need to check if my combobox has something on it, what I mean is if my users choose any value. I need something looked like: if combo1 then msgbox "you must choose an option on Combo1" exit sub end if How can I do something looked like? Regards, Marco Marco, In the AfterUpdate event of the combo type, if IsNull(combo1.text) then msgbox "you must choose an option on Combo1" End If "Marco" <Marco@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:92B57DBB-74BC-4177-AB68-A87153654F34@microsoft.com... > Hi. I need to check if my combobox h...

Pvt Table Question #2
Hi, I'm in excel 2007. I have a couple of really big sheets and would like to make a pvt table. My question is - is it possible to make a pvt table using two sheets? If so, how do you do this? Thanks! Alt/DP, then choose Multiple consolidation ranges -- the UI was removed from the ribbon. "lj" <lj@spu.edu> wrote in message news:a137474c-7ea2-4c35-a9ab-43af7056c140@x38g2000yqj.googlegroups.com... > Hi, > I'm in excel 2007. I have a couple of really big sheets and would > like to make a pvt table. My question is - is it possible to make a > pvt table...

Taking the Mode based on cell value
Could you provide a few more details about what you want to do? -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "sip8316" <sip8316@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E3F4DE24-C5E8-4911-96E6-E61A1E56DEF0@microsoft.com... > ...

How to MATCH value up a column
I need to match/find the first matching cell up a column. Ideas? TIA! Hi I don't know what you are looking for, but see: MATCH(A2,A1:F1,0) or VLOOKUP(A3,Sheet2!A:B,2,FALSE) -- Please click "yes" if this post helped you! Greatly appreciated Eva "DevourU" wrote: > I need to match/find the first matching cell up a column. Ideas? TIA! Thankx for the reply. Here is my formula:=IF(A11>A10,C10,(IF(A11=A10,A10,"?"))). I need to have IF(A11<A10, search up column A for 1st match, example A4, display next column B4. Clear as mu...

VLOOKUP: Retrieving Values
Vlookup: I am trying to lookup a value ( SCOTLAND ) on a spreadsheet called ( Data ) in order to populate ceratin cells on my other spreadsheet ( Spreadone ). If the value (SCOTLAND) is located in (Data) I want it to copy the values of specific cells (not all of them ) from the same row into ( Spreadone ). So : CHECK COLUMN N (CLASS) IN SPREADSHEET (DATA) FOR STRING (SCOTLAND) IF THE STRING = SCOTLAND THEN IN SPREADSHEET (Spreadone) POPULATE CELL A7:A25 = ACCOUNT NO (from Data) CELL B7:B25 = CLIENT (from Data) CELL C7:C25 = CUSIP (from Data) CELL D7:D25 = QTY (from Data) CELL E7:E25...

Can I set an audio alert that triggers as Excel cell value chgs?
I would like to add an audio alert to a spreadsheet cell whenever it changes to a specific value? Can this be done? ....I'm not familiar with any audio alerts but, you can use conditional formatting to the cell's format change when it value changes. Go to Format...Conditional Formatting. You can then either set a value or use a formula and set the format (what it will look like when the cell is the value that you set). "SellUnHi" wrote: > I would like to add an audio alert to a spreadsheet cell whenever it changes > to a specific value? Can this be done? L...

PrimaryContactID NULL
Hello, i have discovered a strange behavior of CRM regarding the relationship between accounts and contacts: Some of my accounts show up a referenced contact but do not have a PrimaryContactID GUID in the databasefield. Both where converted from a lead which is refrenced with the correct GUID in the OriginatingLeadID Field in the database? Any idea how this can happen? Regards Sebastian When you convert a lead into an account/contact the contact references the account throught the parent customer field. The account does not reference the contact (this would be the primary contact fi...

Possible formula question
I am working with a workbook and wanting to pull a number from one spreadsheet into another that will auto update as the pulled number is changed. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Nate Nate: Are you working with Excel or Microsoft Works? Gene L "nswhite" <nswhite@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:76CFF559-9E23-4CA8-BFAB-0F319C710A85@microsoft.com... >I am working with a workbook and wanting to pull a number from one > spreadsheet into another that will auto update as the pulled number is > changed. Any help would be greatly apprecia...

Using CORREL with arrays containing null values
XL Gurus... I'm using the CORREL function, but one of the arrays I'm comparing has null values (entered as #N/A), so my result is #N/A. How can I modify my formula to correlate all the points in the 2 arrays, apart from the null values and their corresponding entries in the other array? You might incorporate an IF function, along the lines of IF(ISNUMBER(your array function here),your array function here,0) It seems redundant, but it evaluates the array function to determine if it is numeric. ...

Sheet Name Refering to Cell Value
I want to name a sheet to the cell value in A2. Cell A2 has an Alt-enter in the cell. I want the sheet name to be the cell value of the first line only. Can anybody help. TIA Greg One way: Option Explicit Sub testme01() Dim myStr As String Dim vbLFPos As Long With ActiveSheet myStr = .Range("a2").Value vbLFPos = InStr(1, myStr, vblf) If vbLFPos > 0 Then myStr = Left(myStr, vbLFPos - 1) On Error Resume Next .Name = myStr If Err.Number <> 0 Then MsgBox "couldn...

DPM config question
All I've noticed in documemtation where it is necessary to have matching templates and features on the recovery farm as is in production. How can I do this without having a site collection installed? I thought templates had to go into a sites 'Site Gallery'. -- Many Thanks! Pete ...

Delete Common Cell Values
I have Excel 2003. Columns A and B have invoice numbers from different time periods. I need a formula that will look in both columns and delete the invoice numbers that appear in both columns A and B. Any help is appreciated. -- Mike Mike, Use two columns of formulas. The first =NOT(ISERROR(MATCH(A2,B:B,False))) The second: =NOT(ISERROR(MATCH(B2,A:A,False))) Copy to match your columns, then copy both columns of formulas and paste special as values. Then sort all columns based on the first column of formulas-converted-to-values, and delete the values in column A where the value i...