Not triggering "BeforeUpdate" in text box on UserForm

OK, so I need an education here (and what better place to find one...)
In Excel 97 I have a UserForm with a text box that has VBA code in the
'__BeforeUpdate()' event. The form also has a command button. It
appears that if the user types stuff in the textbox, then immediately
mouse-clicks the command button, the _beforeUpdate() event of the text
box is not triggered. It also appears that the ControlSource range of
the text box is not updated in this circumstance.
The _Change() event is not a particularly good option here, since I
still have to know when the user has fully completed the textbox
entry, not just added or deleted one character. It also seems that the
ControlSource range isn't updated by or with the _Change event.
I'm assuming there's a setting that I'm missing here somewhere. The
alternative seems to be to re-write VBA code behind commandbuttons to
duplicate the work of  the _BeforeUpdates and the ControlSource
property for all the text boxes on the form -- which seems a silly
redundancy.
So, anyone want to offer quick lesson about what's going on here, and
whether this behavior varies between Excel 97, 2K and 2002? It would
be greatly appreciated.

/Marchand/
0
mdupris (4)

Access2000: BeforeUpdate for TextBox
Hi On a form I have 2 controls, txtHours & txtMinutes. Whenever there is entered 60 or more minutes into txtMinutes, I want full hours added to txtHours (or txtHours value replaced, I haven't decided yet), and set reminder as new value for txtMinutes. Something like: Private Sub txtMinutes_BeforeUpdate(Cancel As Integer) If Me.txtMinutes < 60 Then Else Me.txtHoues = Me.txtHoues + Int(Me.txtMinutes / 60) Me.txtMinutes = Me.txtMinutes Mod 60 End If End Sub Current code returns an error "The macro or function set to the BeforeUp...

Unpredicatable BeforeUpdate event
Hi, I am totally new to programming. I have tried to design a form with some code in the beforeupdate. The behaviour of the form has baffled me so much i can’t understand where it’s going wrong. It’s totally unpredictable. So, friends please don’t get impatient as i am reproducing the entire code here but please help me solve this problem. I have a form with a few unbound controls . The fields are: FromDate ToDate Applicable period(this is an option Group) OldRate (if applicable in earlier time) NewRate ( if applicable at present). And cmdADD button and cmdCANCEL bu...

BeforeUpdate doesn't always fire
THE SETUP. (Access 2003) I have a with several command buttons and a subform. The subform has several textboxes and a combo box. The (sub)Form_BeforeUpdate(Cancel As Integer) contains code to validate the detail record. It handles * required things * warnings * MsgBox accordingly THE PROBLEM. In addition to using the provided 'Save' button, users are able to save incomplete/inappropriate detail records by exiting to the main form (say by clicking cmdPrint or cmdClose). The BeforeUpdate code doesn't fire and the record isn't validated and the user isn't ...

Cancel/BeforeUpdate Event Procedure
I have a main form Containers with a subform ContainerSubstances. The latter has a combo box showing the substances in the Substances table. If the desired substance is not in the combo, the user may bring up the Substances form in Add and Dialog mode. The user can press Save or Cancel from the latter form, and both work as designed. If Save is pressed, the combo box on the original subform is requeried to include the new value, and then the new value is selected by the code, and the Substances form closes, and the user returns to the Containers form, with focus set in the ...

BeforeUpdate without update?
I have a form which is using Oracle as the datasource = single table and the controls are mostly bound (2 textboxes are not bound and exist in order to display names from ids). the form displays only a single record at a time. If I make changes to a new record (i.e. fill in the first field) and attempt to navigate to the next record, the beforeUpdate event fires and then I get an error saying such and such a field is null and must be populated first,etc. This works everytime. My form also has 2 buttons to navigate away from the form (all other navigation such as closing the form, etc. have b...

Not triggering "BeforeUpdate" in text box on UserForm
OK, so I need an education here (and what better place to find one...) In Excel 97 I have a UserForm with a text box that has VBA code in the '__BeforeUpdate()' event. The form also has a command button. It appears that if the user types stuff in the textbox, then immediately mouse-clicks the command button, the _beforeUpdate() event of the text box is not triggered. It also appears that the ControlSource range of the text box is not updated in this circumstance. The _Change() event is not a particularly good option here, since I still have to know when the user has fully completed the...

How prevent form close when 'BeforeUpdate' cancelled
My form always shows a single record, it has two command buttons Cancel and Save. When Save is clicked, my BeforeUpdate validations are done and I issue 'Cancel = True', however, the form still closes and the record is saved. What can I put in my Save button procedure to prevent this? The procedure contains DoCmd.Close. Thanks. > The procedure contains DoCmd.Close. DoCmd.Close doesn't belong in cmdSave_Click. Take it out. Now then, we know when you *don't* want the form to close. When *do* you want it to close? -- HTH, George "mscertified" <rupert@...

VBA for NotInList return to old record or BeforeUpdate value
I have a unbound combo box to find a record on a form. it is basically wizard created code. if the ID is NotInList the form jumps to a random record and the combo still displays the Invalid ID giving the impression the correct record is selected. i tried to add a message box which pops up but the form maintains the same behavior. After the message box is confirmed i would like everything to remain on whatever record was previously selected before the Invalid ID was entered Private Sub Form_Current() Me.SelectByPN_Combo = Me.TRKID 'Updates SelectByPN_Combo when navigation ...

why my BeforeUpdate does not work?
I intentionally tried both conditions but MsgBox does not start. Where did I do wrong? Private Sub cboFrom_BeforeUpdate(Cancel As Integer) If Me.From < DMin("TimeIn", "qryVisitData") Then MsgBox ("FROM cannot be earlier than downloaded data range") Cancel = True End If If Me.From > Me.To Then MsgBox ("FROM must be same or earler than TO") Cancel = True End If End Sub Hi Song Su, Is your combobox named "Me.From" or "Me.cboFrom". Judging from the event name, it's unlikely ...

access 2007 / beforeUpdate in a form
Dear all, From access 2003 on-line doc abour the BeforeUpdate of a control in a form: "If the user enters a new value in the control, the OldValue property setting isn't changed until the data is saved (the record is updated). If you cancel an update, the value of the OldValue property replaces the existing value in the control." However, in access 2007, If I cancel an update, the value of the OldValue property doesn't replace the existing value in the control.=> Is it possible to get the same behaviour (re-changing the value triggers another beforeUpdate event)? Regard...

exit form button and BeforeUpdate form event
I have an exit form button where I just want to confirm with the user if they want to save or not, if they don’t it closes the form, but if they do it saves the record before closing. Things have worked great in other forms with a simple BeforeUpdate event programmed on the form: Private Sub Form_BeforeUpdate(Cancel As Integer) Dim intresponse As Integer intresponse = msgbox("Save changes to this record?", vbYesNo, "Confirm Save") If intresponse = vbNo Then Cancel = True End If End Sub But now I have a particular form where I want to do some...

Form beforeinsert and beforeupdate events
When adding a new record do both get fired? I need to set a date when a status field gets changed, so I need to set it in initial insert and also when updating an exisitng record; currently I have in form before update event: If Me!StatusID <> Me!StatusID.OldValue Then Me!StatusDate = Now() End If Is this sufficient? Thanks. Yes, both events fire for new records, in this order: BeforeInsert ==> BeforeUpdate ==> AfterUpdate ==> AfterInsert -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (no e-mails, please!) "mscertified" <rupert@tige...

Supress Access Error in Field Validation Routine using BeforeUpdate
I'm using the following routine to validate a value entered by a user. Access is throwing an error - The value violates the validation rule for the field or record. How can I supress the error? Private Sub inputTrailerDOTNumber_BeforeUpdate(Cancel As Integer) If ECount("txtTrailerDOTNumber", "tblTrailerInventory", "[txtTrailerDOTNumber] = '" & Me.inputTrailerDOTNumber & "'") = 0 Then MsgBox "Trailer #" & Me.inputTrailerDOTNumber & " does not exist in the database.", vbInformation Cancel = T...

BeforeUpdate problem
I have a form bound to a client list that shows client status and the assigned salesperson ([assignment] field). I have placed code in the BeforeUpdate event of the [status] field that, when the client status is changed from "active" to "inactive" prompts the user for confirmation, and with an affirmative response calls a module procedure that updates records in two other tables, as well as removing the salesperson [assignment] in the underlying table for the bound form. The (2115) error occurs, I assume, when the form's BeforeUpdate event attempts to fire. S...

rollback combobox to 'BeforeUpdate' value
How do I set a combobox to a previous value? When finished updating a particular record the user selects an identifer in a combobox to advance to the next desired record. I use the BeforeUpdate event of the combobox to ask a yes/no question. If NO I want to stay with the current record and this works. the problem is that the combobox has been advanced to the new selection and stays there. Now I have the identifer for one record in the combo box but the form is still (as it should be) on the current record. I need to roll back the combobox to what it was before the update bu...

BeforeUpdate or AfterUpdate ?
Hi all, I have an unbound form in which I have (amongst others) two comboboxes with mandatory data. Although I present a combobox, limited to the choices to pick out, people manage not to fill in those data and to jump via the TAB-key to the next field. Of course I’ll have NULL value for this combobox, but how can I force the user to look for the correct row ? In the BeforeUpdate or in the AfterUpdate event ? I have some code like : Private Sub CboAfterUpdate() if isnull(me.Cbo) then Beep Msgbox(“You must choose a value”) Me.cboAfter.setfocus endif end sub But this does not se...

AfterUpdate/BeforeUpdate and SetFocus
I have some problems with the SetFocus command in a Userform with an AfterUpdate or BeforeUpdate routine. To make it clear to you, I made a very small Userform to demonstrate it. It only contains 8 TextBoxes and this code: Code: Private Sub TextBox01_AfterUpdate() Me.TextBox08.SetFocus End Sub - Private Sub TextBox02_BeforeUpdate(ByVal Cancel As MSForms.ReturnBoolean) TextBox08.SetFocus End Sub - Private Sub TextBox03_Exit(ByVal Cancel As MSForms.ReturnBoolean) TextBox08.SetFocus End Sub - Private Sub TextBox04_Change() TextBox08.SetFocus End Sub I expected that in ...

complicated subform beforeupdate
access 2003 mainform is f001Projectreview with subform f015KeyMilestones(PK ProjectID) I am trying to accomplish the below notes with the below code. It works well unless... user selects KeyMilestonesSubID = 12 and does not enter UnitNo. It prompts for UnitNo and auto changes UnitNo to 0 and also prompts for AuctualDt This is what I wanted. Now if user changes their mind and selects KeyMilestonesSubID = 8 It still give user the msg - All Units can only be used with PM080 and PM670(which is KeyMilestonesSubID 12 or 20). Must enter Actual Date or check N/a if Quality Gate is no...

Very frustrated with BeforeUpdate event
Hi I'm mainly a lurker and I've been searching through the list for a few days trying to find an answer to my very frustrating automatic save problem. I have a form with a subform in it. In the subform there are 4 required text fields and 4 number fields. I have a Save button that I want to use EXCLUSIVELY to save the record. Next to it is a Close button that I'd like to use EXCLUSIVELY to close the form. I do not want the record to be saved when the close button is hit. I just want the form to close. I know I have to write some code in the BeforeUpdate event of the subform. I...

Form BeforeUpdate Ignoring Cancel
I have a situation where I must verify that both of two related controls have been entered or neither has been entered. The following code does just what I want except that Access seems to be ignoring the Cancel value: Function CrossCheckKeys(Cancel As Integer) Dim CurrForm As Form: Set CurrForm = Screen.ActiveForm With CurrForm If (IsNull(.Controls("comSinkKey")) And Not IsNull(.Controls("comSrceKey"))) _ Or (IsNull(.Controls("comSrceKey")) And Not IsNull(.Controls("comSinkKey"))) Then If IsNull(.Controls("comS...

A2K format
G'day ppl Have a form which after the user has completed all data input can invoice job out. I have a command button: Private Sub InvoiceBtn_Click() Dim InvoiceResp As Integer InvoiceResp = MsgBox("Are you sure you want to mark this record for Invoicing ?????", vbYesNo) If InvoiceResp = vbYes Then Me.Invoice = 1 Me.WeekNo = Me.DateDel Else DoCmd.CancelEvent End If End Sub What I would like to have happen is that before it updates Me.Invoice, it checks that the [PackStatus]=6 (6=Pack is Delivered). So if the criteria doesn't match then di...

Check for Duplicate value BeforeUpdate
Hello all, I have a problem with updating on my form. I have a form, TrainingHistory, that is linked to a table by the same name. There are three fields showing: FullName, ClassName, and DateTaken. For each person, I am only interested in the MOST RECENT date they took any given class. So what I want is to be able to enter a name and class, and have Access check the table for this combination of name and class. If such an entry already does exist, I would like the form to bring up that entry, and that entry alone, for editing of the date. There should also be a message explaining what ju...

Re: A2K format
"NoodNutt" <mclind1@bigpond.com> wrote in message news:... > G'day ppl > > Have a form which after the user has completed all data input can invoice > job out. > > I have a command button: > > Private Sub InvoiceBtn_Click() > Dim InvoiceResp As Integer > InvoiceResp = MsgBox("Are you sure you want to mark this record for > Invoicing ?????", vbYesNo) > If InvoiceResp = vbYes Then > Me.Invoice = 1 > Me.WeekNo = Me.DateDel > Else > DoCmd.CancelEvent > End If > End Sub > > What I wo...

Delete code competing with BeforeUpdate validation
I put code in the Before Update event of my form to verify that two fields are complete (i.e., Not Null) before saving. The code is: Private Sub Form_BeforeUpdate(Cancel As Integer) If IsNull(Me.FirstName) Then MsgBox "Please enter a first name." Cancel = True Me.FirstName.SetFocus ElseIf IsNull(Me.LastName) Then MsgBox "Please enter a last name." Cancel = True Me.LastName.SetFocus End If End Sub Also on my form is a Delete button that deletes the record. The problem is that if the user starts a new record, and then clicks...